SC Game a Sellout! | The Boneyard

SC Game a Sellout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Nice- 18,000 will be in attendance with its capacity audience. Uconn would do well to be fired up and motivated to put on a display that leaves Palmetto State residents duly impressed and to have their party duly ruined.

I was in the building for Uconn's win #89 in a row, where the capacity was 16,249. Kemba Walker and Tina Charles were in my section; will any Gamecock big shots make this game and support their school? J'daveon Clowney, where you at???

Reaction Score
South Carolina will have a packed house when the Gamecocks host No. 1 Connecticut on Monday night, the program's first sellout at 18,000-seat Colonial Life Arena.

Their average attendance is 14,557.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-2-south-carolina-vs-no-1-uconn-185528539--ncaaw.html

For those wondering how they average 14,557 per game, it has something to do with having very cheap ticket prices. You could buy the cheaper season ticket for $30 for the year - about $2 per game - which includes games with UConn, Ohio State, Duke, etc. Or buy a ticket for one game for $8, under-17 for $4. Wish UConn tickets were that price - or even twice that price.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Nice- 18,000 will be in attendance with its capacity audience. Uconn would do well to be fired up and motivated to put on a display that leaves Palmetto State residents duly impressed and to have their party duly ruined.

I was in the building for Uconn's win #89 in a row, where the capacity was 16,249. Kemba Walker and Tina Charles were in my section; will any Gamecock big shots make this game and support their school? J'daveon Clowney, where you at???

I saw Jadeveon at plenty of WBB games when he was in school, so it's possible, though he is from Rock Hill, about 70 miles from Columbia. The Chief Justice of the SC Supreme Court sits in the row behind me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Darius Rucker and other members of Hootie and the Blowfish there.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
For those wondering how they average 14,557 per game, it has something to do with having very cheap ticket prices. You could buy the cheaper season ticket for $30 for the year - about $2 per game - which includes games with UConn, Ohio State, Duke, etc. Or buy a ticket for one game for $8, under-17 for $4. Wish UConn tickets were that price - or even twice that price.

South Carolina is a poor state; I wouldn't be surprised if average salaries in Connecticut are double what they are in SC.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
South Carolina is a poor state; I wouldn't be surprised if average salaries in Connecticut are double what they are in SC.
Pretty close guess. Average income for family of 4: CT $103K, SC $63K

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Cockhrn - enjoy the game, regardless of the outcome.

Thanks, Uhuru, fans, players and coaches live for big games in front of big crowds. I can remember when we were ecstatic to have over 5000 at a WBB game.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Nice job, SC! Have fun, enjoy the game, should be a great atmosphere for a big game.

On a smaller scale, ND comes to Louisville Sunday. Two teams atop the ACC, undefeated in conference play. Winner of this game likely the winner of the ACC. I'll be thrilled if we get 15-16k, with it being Super Bowl Sunday and all. It's a Pack the House event, looking forward to it.

Reaction Score

True - although if you compared salaries for the Hartford/Storrs area to those of the Columbia area, the difference would be less. However even if you adjust for income, South Carolina tickets are far cheaper. UConn season tickets (Hartford and Storrs combined) cost $300 minimum.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
True - although if you compared salaries for the Hartford/Storrs area to those of the Columbia area, the difference would be less. However even if you adjust for income, South Carolina tickets are far cheaper. UConn season tickets (Hartford and Storrs combined) cost $300 minimum.

The difference with us is that we spend our money on football tickets. I spend well over $2500 a year for 2 football and 2 MBB season tickets so it's nice to get a break for WBB. Many of the people that attend WBB games wouldn't otherwise be able to attend live events.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
South Carolina will have a packed house when the Gamecocks host No. 1 Connecticut on Monday night, the program's first sellout at 18,000-seat Colonial Life Arena.

Their average attendance is 14,557.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-2-south-carolina-vs-no-1-uconn-185528539--ncaaw.html

I'm not surprised. That's what we do. We cut down nets, and sell out arenas. We've been doing that for years.

When UConn comes to your venue, it's usually the biggest game on your schedule for that year. UConn has played at a lot of venues this season that did not sell out. Why? Because there was little or no support for that particular women's program.

The locals support their Lady Gamecocks, as evidenced by the sell out. They probably could have sold another 2,000 tickets if they had more seats. This the biggest game the Gamecocks have played since they met last year. This game has been circled on their calendars since the schedule was announced.

You know Dawn Staley and her charges want nothing more then to return the favor from last year. They were embarrassed and humbled on national TV, and lost their #1 ranking. That wound has not completely healed yet.
You don't take a butt whuppin like that, then just forget about it. A little "payback" would be just what the doctor ordered. But, what happens to their psyche if they lose again? :eek:

The folks in Columbia want to see this one in person. As anyone knows that has attended a game, it's a lot different watching the game in person, than on TV. To be quite honest, I wouldn't mind being there myself, decked out in all of my UCONN GEAR, cheering for our girls. :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I saw Jadeveon at plenty of WBB games when he was in school, so it's possible, though he is from Rock Hill, about 70 miles from Columbia. The Chief Justice of the SC Supreme Court sits in the row behind me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Darius Rucker and other members of Hootie and the Blowfish there.
behind you... damn you're a BIG SHOT in South Carolina or related to Dawn

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Nice to see that prominent public officials are supporting the SC Lady GC's instead of hiking the Appalachian Trail. :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you hack off Fairfield County, the averages become much closer. UConn started playing games in Bridgeport to try to get the Gold Coasters to games, so I'm not sure the income thing is relevant.

Reaction Score
Nice job, SC! Have fun, enjoy the game, should be a great atmosphere for a big game.

On a smaller scale, ND comes to Louisville Sunday. Two teams atop the ACC, undefeated in conference play. Winner of this game likely the winner of the ACC. I'll be thrilled if we get 15-16k, with it being Super Bowl Sunday and all. It's a Pack the House event, looking forward to it.

Jenny, I hope Louisville beats the crap out of Notre Dame. Good luck!

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Jenny, I hope Louisville beats the crap out of Notre Dame. Good luck!

I think we are talented enough this year to make it a possibility. The problem is that we are prone to stretches where we show our youth. We can't seem to to put 40 strong minutes together.

As uconn fans have long had the privilege of experiencing, we now have multiple threats on any given night. 3-4 of our players are good for double digit points every game. ( though B. Jackson has hit a slump the last few games). This alone makes us a contender. Our unfortunate youthful defense at times makes every game suspect. You just never know how long their lapses are going to last. Being at home will help.

We will do our best to excite the national audience with a solid game and steal the ACC from the Irish. It will be a steal this year. Next year, I expect us to own it.

Reaction Score
I think we are talented enough this year to make it a possibility. The problem is that we are prone to stretches where we show our youth. We can't seem to to put 40 strong minutes together.

As uconn fans have long had the privilege of experiencing, we now have multiple threats on any given night. 3-4 of our players are good for double digit points every game. ( though B. Jackson has hit a slump the last few games). This alone makes us a contender. Our unfortunate youthful defense at times makes every game suspect. You just never know how long their lapses are going to last. Being at home will help.

We will do our best to excite the national audience with a solid game and steal the ACC from the Irish. It will be a steal this year. Next year, I expect us to own it.
I've always like Louisville Women's Basketball (except when the play Uconn, obviously). :)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I hope we get some real SC fans dropping by this board for some wisdom on the game from their point of view....no
matter who wins. The biggest rivalry in our game is now UConn/ND....wouldn't mind a bit if UConn/SC challenged
that status.

Say...SC fans: do you expect Dawn to be the head coach of the 2020 Olympic team? I think her Olympic history and her current role as an assisant to
Geno in Rio has her with one hand and 4 more fingers on the job.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Nice to see that prominent public officials are supporting the SC Lady GC's instead of hiking the Appalachian Trail. :rolleyes:

Lol, I never supported that particular, nameless politician.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I hope we get some real SC fans dropping by this board for some wisdom on the game from their point of view....no
matter who wins. The biggest rivalry in our game is now UConn/ND....wouldn't mind a bit if UConn/SC challenged
that status.

Say...SC fans: do you expect Dawn to be the head coach of the 2020 Olympic team? I think her Olympic history and her current role as an assisant to
Geno in Rio has her with one hand and 4 more fingers on the job.

Dawn is the heir apparent to the Olympic WBB job, for sure, once Geno retires. As for the game, I've said the Gamecocks will win if they shoot 70%+ from the line and 40%+ from three. Tiffany Mitchell will have to also be full strength.

Reaction Score
Dawn is the heir apparent to the Olympic WBB job, for sure, once Geno retires. As for the game, I've said the Gamecocks will win if they shoot 70%+ from the line and 40%+ from three. Tiffany Mitchell will have to also be full strength.

It's been rumored, mentioned that Staley will be the next Olympic coach. This Rio Olympic might be Geno's last. If I remembered correctly, Geno was apprehensive about coaching the USA team for Rio. The SC-UConn game will be a real good game. UConn rotation has 2 untested freshmen in addition to Tuck's knee issue, in addition to the travel and games involved before this game. SC is playing at home so there is some advantage there. SC is ranked#2 but what is their RPI? UConn might have a tougher schedule not counting the AAC games. My uneducated take UConn by 20+.

Reaction Score

If Fairfield county is taken out, I wonder what the statistics would be. Greenwich and Darien and other gold coast towns, kind of skewed the whole state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom