Saturday Night Fights | The Boneyard

Saturday Night Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So Fox had UFC Fights and HBO has their card as well tonight.

Boxing is boring, one dimensional and completley run by managers and promoters avoiding any confrontation so that their golden egg can get their one giant pay day.

UFC has much higher caliber athletes who are more well rounded and, good or bad, Dana White calls all the shots on fights. He'd rather promote an aggressive fighter who loses but engages the fans and viewers over a fighter who does nothing aggressive.

I grew up on boxing. Both of my parents are from the Easton, Pa area and I watched Larry Holmes in his prime. My dad use to drive by his home and see the boxing glove shaped pool. Loved watching Hagler and Hearns. Didn't like Leonard at all because he seemed so fake. Loved watching the Magic Marlon Starling and his standing between rounds. Lived in Virginia Beach when Swee Pea Whitaker was dominant and lived in Pensacola, Fl for most of Roy Jones, Jr's dominance.

But boxing has died the death it deserves. The 50 different belts run by alphabet organizations and manager, promoters and state athletic commisions who are all equally corrupt and culpable, I've been completely turned on to MMA.

Reaction Score
Boxing is in trouble. Basically they have very fans under thirty. MMA is great, but Dana White is a bit of tyrant who runs a league which while deeper and and better run its just a league and not a major league. His group bought out strikeforce who he mocked at every turn and those fighters have been sensational in the ufc.

I really like mma, but they have their share of boring fights as well. They market smart and put on two guys guaranteed to put on barn burner last night because of their styles on fox. Smart marketing and promoting.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I grew up with the magic man, then followed Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, De La Hoya. What turned be off from boxing was the PPV aspect. I rarely even considered paying for a fight. I wrestled back in HS so when I saw MMA for the first time (especially after being a boxing fan) I was fairly hooked. I think I've paid for 2-3 PPV's in the past 6-7 years, but I will watch most every mma fight I can that is free. It does appears that UFC hit a peak a few years back with Lesnar but it has the potential to rise again with a maturing product. As much as boxing appears to be in a tough place, their superstars make 10-20 times what UFC superstars make and their PPV's still do huge numbers, especially with the Mexican immigrant presence in the US. And I'd say boxing still has superior athletes, very close but edge to boxing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you want to hang with Starling he was working as a greeter at First & Last in Middletown last time I was there.

Reaction Score
People are quick to think boxing is in trouble at the same time May weather and Pac Man continue to set pay-per-view records.

Boxing has serious issues, but it is still a major money maker with plenty of fans.

Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
I grew up with the magic man, then followed Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, De La Hoya. What turned be off from boxing was the PPV aspect. I rarely even considered paying for a fight. I wrestled back in HS so when I saw MMA for the first time (especially after being a boxing fan) I was fairly hooked. I think I've paid for 2-3 PPV's in the past 6-7 years, but I will watch most every mma fight I can that is free. It does appears that UFC hit a peak a few years back with Lesnar but it has the potential to rise again with a maturing product. As much as boxing appears to be in a tough place, their superstars make 10-20 times what UFC superstars make and their PPV's still do huge numbers, especially with the Mexican immigrant presence in the US. And I'd say boxing still has superior athletes, very close but edge to boxing.

I don't think boxers are more athletic. Might have more stamina (I am amazed how they can go 12 rounds), but there are some world class athletes. Watch Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier fight.

Reaction Score
I don't think boxers are more athletic. Might have more stamina (I am amazed how they can go 12 rounds), but there are some world class athletes. Watch Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier fight.
Agreed. Some of these UFC dudes are crazy athletic! IMO MMA is far more exciting as well.

Reaction Score
UConnSean said:
Agreed. Some of these UFC dudes are crazy athletic! IMO MMA is far more exciting as well.

I try to go to 2 live events a year. There is a fight night at foxwoods coming up and it is a solid card. I will be in vegas so I have to miss it.

The best part about ufc is that you really don't know who will win. All it takes is one punch to the jaw, or a quick guillotine choke for an underdog to win.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I try to go to 2 live events a year. There is a fight night at foxwoods coming up and it is a solid card. I will be in vegas so I have to miss it.

The best part about ufc is that you really don't know who will win. All it takes is one punch to the jaw, or a quick guillotine choke for an underdog to win.
That should be a fun card - Jacare vs Mousasi rematch will be epic.

Reaction Score

just curious, do you get your tickets directly through the ufc website as they release or another avenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom