Saniya is #1 | The Boneyard

Saniya is #1

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She's number one nationally in assist to turnover ratio at 3.91, which is an outstanding number. An A:TO ratio of 2.0 is considered very good so for her to have a ratio almost double that is excellent. Keep it up!

As a team, UConn's A:TO is 1.56, which is second nationally.

Reaction Score
She's number one nationally in assist to field goal ratio at 3.91, which is an outstanding number. An A:TO ratio of 2.0 is considered very good so for her to have a ratio almost double that is excellent. Keep it up!

You mean 'assist to TO ratio' in your first sentence, Nan, obviously a typo.

Reaction Score
Good for Saniya. Hope her and TLaw set the record for best record during her four years. So far only one loss and a whole bunch of wins!

Reaction Score
She's number one nationally in assist to turnover ratio at 3.91, which is an outstanding number. An A:TO ratio of 2.0 is considered very good so for her to have a ratio almost double that is excellent. Keep it up!

For those that complain about "mindless turnovers" ---have a look at these numbers!! Steady Eddie--Chong!!

Reaction Score
Saniya may have corrected the bad turnovers that got her summarily yanked previously. Geno has wondered often about which Chong will show up. Hopefully, Saniya's evil twin is vanquished; we need her now more than ever. BUT how about the really BIG story of this season: Gabby Williams overcoming her persistent fouling? Used to be that every game that Gabby played in was fraught with the tension that she would foul out. With no bench, who would replace her? Well, that seems put to rest, too. Fingers crossed that the season progresses as it's begun . . . Really: not much room for error.

Reaction Score
So happy that Saniya seems to have found her comfort zone particularly since the team really needs her this year. She was almost painful to watch at times over the years, but has really begun to consistently contribute the past several games (jeez I hope I don't jinx her). Also happy for Butler...every game a little stronger. For me, best part of UConn WBB is watching the players develop over their 4 years as teams develop personalities and the players come into their own.

Reaction Score
Saniya has really come out of her shell.
She looks so relaxed on the court the past several weeks. I took almost 4 years but she finally looks like she has become part of the system.
Most importantly she appears to be having FUN again on the court. I know that is an over used helicopter parent cliche but Saniya is just playing better every week and seems to be enjoying herself.
Best of luck to her, the other Huskies and the coaching staff on the coming stretch run.

Reaction Score
Saniya has really come out of her shell.
She looks so relaxed on the court the past several weeks. I took almost 4 years but she finally looks like she has become part of the system.
Most importantly she appears to be having FUN again on the court. I know that is an over used helicopter parent cliche but Saniya is just playing better every week and seems to be enjoying herself.
Best of luck to her, the other Huskies and the coaching staff on the coming stretch run.
Good observations. Was at SMU game and she was so relaxed and the glue that accelerated UConn throughout game. Solid defense (several blocks many games in row), good passing, and consistent offense. Seems that knowing she will get her minutes has helped make her the player Geno hoped when he recruited her. You almost don't know she is playing but solid stats every game and like Kia, critical to the wins.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Where are the guys I called out and debated with a couple weeks ago? They actually posted their belief that Saniya was so overly cautious when making passes that her A:TO ratio was a detriment to the team.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It's great to see Saniya getting the attention she deserves! We will only see her get more relaxed and more dangerous as an offensive and defensive threat!

Reaction Score
Good observations. Was at SMU game and she was so relaxed and the glue that accelerated UConn throughout game. Solid defense (several blocks many games in row), good passing, and consistent offense. Seems that knowing she will get her minutes has helped make her the player Geno hoped when he recruited her. You almost don't know she is playing but solid stats every game and like Kia, critical to the wins.

I don't agree with this.

I think being healthy in which her coach can rely on her and being an upperclassman is the main reason. Players tend to improve with age with Geno imo. Last year was a wash because she was hurt and was hurt one day okay the next hurt another etc. That imo is much more relevant. You can't rely on that "which day are you ready" as player, as a team nor a coach.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this.

I think being healthy in which her coach can rely on her and being an upperclassman is the main reason. Players tend to improve with age with Geno imo. Last year was a wash because she was hurt and was hurt one day okay the next hurt another etc. That imo is much more relevant. You can't rely on that "which day are you ready" as player, as a team nor a coach.
Hoophuskee-we may be in agreement. Health has certainly helped but even when well in past she had played short minutes and was inconsistent. Likely a combo of both. Whatever the reason, glad to see she is playing so well. Consistently good to great performances at a time we need her senior leadership.

Reaction Score
Saniya has improved here, but she was always reasonably careful (often too careful!) with the ball: she had a very hard time relaxing and getting into the very high energy UConn offensive flow. The difference is that now, as opposed to the beginning of the year, they don't need her to be aggressive, just careful, because the other 4 have progressed so much.

Geno has said that, while she scored 20 in the loss to Stanford, she gave up 30. It's her more solid, though not outstanding, defense that also merits praise.

With the "bigger" 4 upping their games so much, Saniya just needs to (and is) playing within herself to have a fantastically rewarding senior year.

Reaction Score
I only wish (maybe unrealistically) that a point will be reached wherein Saniya merits being included as part of a touted, starting "five" .instead of the current media reference often being limited to the starting "four".
Personally, I think that the "four" would need to make a concerted effort to make the correction whenever they hear it. Not "UConn-Like" to make corrections like that, but being in the best interest of the Team, I think it would be appropriate.

I wonder if Geno not making the correction is part of a motivating scheme of his?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally, I think that the "four" would need to make a concerted effort to make the correction whenever they hear it. Not "UConn-Like" to make corrections like that, but being in the best interest of the Team, I think it would be appropriate.

I wonder if Geno not making the correction is part of a motivating scheme of his?
Doubt it, he agreed with it when it was mentioned to him a couple of weeks ago (when they started using "Core Four").

Reaction Score
Saniya has improved here, but she was always reasonably careful (often too careful!) with the ball: she had a very hard time relaxing and getting into the very high energy UConn offensive flow. The difference is that now, as opposed to the beginning of the year, they don't need her to be aggressive, just careful, because the other 4 have progressed so much.

Geno has said that, while she scored 20 in the loss to Stanford, she gave up 30. It's her more solid, though not outstanding, defense that also merits praise.

With the "bigger" 4 upping their games so much, Saniya just needs to (and is) playing within herself to have a fantastically rewarding senior year.

I take issue with that statement.

It sounds like she was the only one playing defense and that she was calling all the defensive shots (not the coaching staff).

I've said it before- the coaching staff didn't see it coming? If she played such bad defense why didn't they teach her in her freshman year and that training camp?

You heard of "passing the buck"?

Reaction Score
I'll add to that- you had Stewie with her 70 inch wingspan and Kiah Stokes who is the best shot blocker I've r seen and you couldn't use a zone defense to guard against Stanford driving?

Reaction Score
It's going to be Core Four because those four will play with each other for more than just a season. If Mo, Stewie, and Tuck didn't all come in and leave together they might not have been the Big Three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom