Saniya Chong's Defense | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Has anybody else been impressed with Chong's defense this year so far this year? As a freshman she was a defensive liability and who can forget last year's Stanford game, but I spent a good deal of time watching her against Chattanooga and she really seems to have made a tremendous leap in her defensive ability.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Again, for the 100th time, not a surprise. The Stanford game was a collective effort of weakish D, and Chong at least shot the lights out that game unlike most of the other players except Stewie. Later last year she was often a defensive stopper, often put in with Stokes to spark nice defensive spans for UConn.

Apparently some fans stopped watching the games after the Stanford loss and didn't see some really nice defense in the AAC and some Tournament games. But if you do review some tapes from last year, you will see her having some particularly good defensive plays and maybe you might even then be able to recall them. Just don't look for her to be making a steal when she is not in the game.

Reaction Score
Has anybody else been impressed with Chong's defense this year so far this year? As a freshman she was a defensive liability and who can forget last year's Stanford game, but I spent a good deal of time watching her against Chattanooga and she really seems to have made a tremendous leap in her defensive ability.
TOTALLY AGREE. She must have worked really hard to make this much progress. She's certainly not the best defensive player for UCONN, but she is now (IMO) a much better than average college defender.

Reaction Score
I have been surprised ...and impressed ...with her defense, her offense, and especially her hustle. To me, she seems to have made significant improvements.

Before the season started I had Kia Nurse moving over to the point as probable for nest year's team. Now, from what I've seen so far this year, Saniya may just get the call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been surprised ...and impressed ...with her defense, her offense, and especially her hustle. To me, she seems to have made significant improvements.

Before the season started I had Kia Nurse moving over to the point as probable for nest year's team. Now, from what I've seen so far this year, Saniya may just get the call.
A player can have such good review by Java she must be very good....LOL

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it all has to do with confidence - after the Stanford game she sort of went into a shell last year - she played well in games sometimes - against SC she did good defensive work for example, but her offense was tentative and she kept checking with the bench after plays to see if she had done well. This year she is just playing. If something bad happens, she just gets on with the game and doesn't let it effect the next play.

Reaction Score

Absolutely, and it makes roster sense as well. Chong starts her senior year with Dangerfield backing her up and then the reins are handed over the next season. That sets up a wing rotation of Nurse,Williams and Samuelson and a post threesome of Butler, Tuck and Collier. No doubt, injuries, unexpected production, etc., etc. could change all that, but that is an eight-rotation that can certainly compete for a National Title.

Reaction Score

She is definitely a different player from seasons past.....stronger, confident. I remember reading that the seniors talked to her about how much they need her to step up. Could definitely see her starting at PG next season.

Reaction Score
DITTO, DobbsRover2. In addition, she has had several unbelievable drives to the hoop in the last 3 games. This is the Saniya we here all knew existed.
That move in the second half of the Nebraska game almost knocked me out of my easy chair.
Saniya keep the confidence level up and show the naysayers that game we know lurks within.

Reaction Score
I love players that overcome adversity and seek challenges. She came to UConn even though MJ was already here. She has never quit. She hasn't transferred. When everyone doubted her, she kept trying. She has improved her game every year. You can tell Geno was excited to get her healthy and playing this year. Great things will come her way for the rest of her life, on and off the court.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

I have always liked Saniya's speed and quickness, but in four games she has 3 assists and 2 turnovers. She'll have to get those assists up if she is to be the starting PG next year.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Saniya looked great to me. Much more quick and active than last year. The baseline drive was big time. And Ek looked good too. Another kid who, like Chong, could be a big contributor in the long run. I certainly hope so.

Reaction Score
Chong's defense has been outstanding this year. Her energy level, aggressiveness, and overall quickness has smothered her opponents. Her offense has also been terrific, confidence is way up. Remember the ND game last year - this gal can play!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Saniya's defense has definitely improved. Better technique on the close outs especially, and flat out more visible hustle. UC nailed this one all due to improved confidence. I also agree with your assessment of Chong's Freshmen year and the Stanford game-for the 101st time.

Reaction Score
IMHO Saniya was the scapegoat last year at Stanford. Noone played well in that game. Especially KML. Heck she still can't guard a chair. But, who is going to chastise the most prolific 3pt. Shooter in ncaa history ? I think Saniya has great potential . She can score, and is a good passer. I love KN , but so far I have been disappointed in her early season play. She has seemed out of sync to me.

Reaction Score
Before the season started, I was touting Saniya as a valuable part of this team. She was always first off the bench to spell the guards, and UConn had little experience at that position after the starters. In hs, Chong was a prolific scorer, once scoring 50+ points in a game. With the Huskies, she seemed to have lost her shooter's touch but always played hard utilizing her tremendous speed. As the only recruit in her freshman class, Saniya was in an unusual spotlight, one which may have pressured her unduly to perform well. Last year the team was much better for Kia's presence, but Chong became the invaluable sub. This year she was injured, and the naysayers showed up early. Given recovery and an intimate knowledge of the UConn system, Saniya has emerged as the important element many of us believed she would. You go, girl.

Reaction Score
Again, for the 100th time, not a surprise. The Stanford game was a collective effort of weakish D, and Chong at least shot the lights out that game unlike most of the other players except Stewie. Later last year she was often a defensive stopper, often put in with Stokes to spark nice defensive spans for UConn.

Apparently some fans stopped watching the games after the Stanford loss and didn't see some really nice defense in the AAC and some Tournament games. But if you do review some tapes from last year, you will see her having some particularly good defensive plays and maybe you might even then be able to recall them. Just don't look for her to be making a steal when she is not in the game.
The team had an off game defensively. I think the coaching staff should take most of the blame for not preparing them for it. They got outcoached that game.

Reaction Score
DITTO, DobbsRover2. In addition, she has had several unbelievable drives to the hoop in the last 3 games. This is the Saniya we here all knew existed.
That move in the second half of the Nebraska game almost knocked me out of my easy chair.
Saniya keep the confidence level up and show the naysayers that game we know lurks within.

I thought that was what she should've been doing last season but she kept throwing those threes (which are much harder shots). I think that brought her confidence down when she wasn't knocking them down.

Reaction Score
Easy to see she's discovered that roles aren't just given to a player on this team, they are earned. She's finally out to EARN one. Looking good Saniya.

So you thought that Saniya expected that a spot would just be given to her, that she wouldn't have to earn it?

Reaction Score
I thought that was what she should've been doing last season but she kept throwing those threes (which are much harder shots). I think that brought her confidence down when she wasn't knocking them down.

I don't think that's what brought her confidence down.

Reaction Score

I too am tired of blaming Chong for the Defensive lapses at Stanford--it was a total team melt down. Also, I don't think this was a \matter of Geno being "outcoached". I thought at the time that KML was not feeling well and this may have been true of other team members
--it takes a lot of Energy to play Geno's kind of defense. Geno does not come from the school of "good loses"--but he does learn from them as does the team. Chong went into a bit of a funk when she lost her playing sequence position.
This year Chong has it together mentally and physically and defensively--they kid is an amazing "slasher".

Reaction Score
The team had an off game defensively. I think the coaching staff should take most of the blame for not preparing them for it. They got outcoached that game.
Fhir Geno. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99