Saniya Chong the next great one | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong the next great one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I have been told that she is second to Breanna in NY Girls BB. Some evaulators have this HS Junior ranked number 1 in her class. Here are some links I found. Pretty terrific athlete. This season she is averaging 33.9 pts 8.8 assists, 1.5 blocks, 4.4 rebounds, and is 5'9 and is out of Ossining NY.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/5N...ketball-winter-11-12/profile-saniya-chong.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/5N...ketball-winter-11-12/profile-saniya-chong.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/IOI_FSpiEeG-rAAmVebEWg/ossinings-saniya-chong-erupts-for-54-points-.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/IOI_FSpiEeG-rAAmVebEWg/ossinings-saniya-chong-erupts-for-54-points-.htm

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have been told that she is second to Breanna in NY Girls BB. Some evaulators have this HS Junior ranked number 1 in her class. Here are some links I found. Pretty terrific athlete. This season she is averaging 33.9 pts 8.8 assists, 1.5 blocks, 4.4 rebounds, and is 5'9 and is out of Ossining NY.
Good luck to her, but the links have her ranked at #203 nationally. #9 in NY. Hoopsgulz doesn't have her at all.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Good luck to her, but the links have her ranked at #203 nationally. #9 in NY. Hoopsgulz doesn't have her at all.
Meyers - I think the 203/9 rank might be for the school not for Chong.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Living in Westchester, this is all happening in my backyard, and I wasn't paying attention. There hasn't been this much buzz since Corrie Chambers, who went to Georgia. Anyway, the BIG game in Westchester was played Sunday, January 15th, when Section 1 Class AA champion Ossining met two time defending New York State and section 1 Class B champion Irvington at Irvington, in the Autism Classic. The much anticipated game turned out to be no contest, as Ossining Defeated Irvington 93-65, with Saniya Chong scoring 55 points, including eight three-pointers, five assists and four steals, to give Irvington (10-1) its first loss of the season and help Ossining improve to 11-0.

“People out there think we pad her (Chong’s) stats,” Ossining coach Dan Ricci said. “But she plays her best against the best teams, and today was no exception.”

“She is one of the most impressive players I’ve ever seen,” Irvington coach Gina Maher said.

Here are the video Highlights

Actually, the link takes you to a post game interview, you need to click on the game highlights on the right. I couldn't figure out how to get a direct link. All the links on the right are videos centering on Saniya, and worth watching.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I can understand that the national ranking services might not have focused on her due to her not playing in any of the big tournaments or attending any of the important camps. What I have trouble understanding is why everyone locally seems not to have noticed her before this year. Does anyone have her sophomore year stats, and how do those stats compare to this year's?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Looking at her stats shes one heck of an assist machine. As Speedo mentioned shes been under the radar because she hasnt played in the NIKE tournements, however Apache was hot on her trail to get her.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think she plays with the New York Pride AAU Team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In a previous thread on the young lady I had posted:

I just did a wee bit of the google - her AAU team is Westchester Hoopers which does not seem to be a big travel team, though they are now teaming with Exodus for an Elite level as of last summer, and I don't think she was on that team. I would expect that she would be this summer? Anyway - I would say this points to why she does not have the 'national rep' that is generally reserved for the Elite AAU team members.

If you are not at the big tournaments with a team you get zero visibility from the recruiting services - they certainly aren't making a point of travelling to all corners of the country to watch HS games. And the same goes with the coaches - unless they get a tip from someone or the player/family actively persue them, the big time programs focus on the same events for their initial scouting.

Reaction Score
I've known of her since she was in 9th grade, I saw her put up about 25 points her freshman season at the section 1 champ game against mt vernon which had 4 division one player of that squad, Chong's team lost in but last year she gave mt vernon 44 i think and they won the sectional title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom