Saniya Chong has been the best player in practice... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong has been the best player in practice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This is fantastic news. But bear in mind that Geno praised her early on last year. And then she disappeared after Christmas break. I think this year may be different.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ann Strother and Nicole Wolfe both started their first games as freshmen. ( It seems some UConn fans keep forgetting that for some reason.)
Who were the other available options. Freshman have always started when Geno thought it was needed but often it was because there was a glaring hole to feel.

Reaction Score
If Geno says he has high praise for Chong,that is all i need to hear.Amazing how he and his staff seems to find these gems that just about no one else picks up on.I think of Dolson,and how little anyone thought of her in the recruiting process.Same goes for Chong.
With this coaching staff,it would not surprise me,if Saniya eventually becomes AA and surpasses all expectations.
You go girl!!!

This is why I love the Boneyard; a couple of days ago Kia Nurse was a lock to be the 5th starter. Now Geno says Saniya will start the first game and we have a fan that thinks she will be a future AA. Perceptions/opinions sure do change quickly.
Hope you are right Caramel.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Who were the other available options. Freshman have always started when Geno thought it was needed but often it was because there was a glaring hole to feel.
Well, let's see. There were seven returning players, and four talented freshmen. Sound familiar? I'm not going to argue that they shouldn't have started, just going against the sentiment that Geno won't start freshmen.

Once Wolfe went down with injury, Junior Maria Conlon filled in very well as point guard. So, one could argue that Maria deserved to start from the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone could argue with Geno starting Jr DT, RS So. Jessica Moore, Jr. Conlon, Jr. Morgan Valley, and RS So. Ashley Battle.

Reaction Score
As last year's season was winding down, I was thinking of Saniya with a heavy heart. I could see her deciding to transfer, not because she wasn't talented or capable, but because she didn't seem to have confidence or inner strength to succeed. Instead, somehow, she has acquired both! A trait that seems to infuse so many at UConn - don't give up work harder you can do it!

If she can maintain this year's initial promise, Geno's status as coach extraordinaire will be enhanced immeasurably. What recruit would view Saniya's development and not think UConn is the place to be.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm amazed, and very happy for Saniya. Something must have clicked, and it will be great to see if it's true.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, let's see. There were seven returning players, and four talented freshmen. Sound familiar? I'm not going to argue that they shouldn't have started, just going against the sentiment that Geno won't start freshmen.

Once Wolfe went down with injury, Junior Maria Conlon filled in very well as point guard. So, one could argue that Maria deserved to start from the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone could argue with Geno starting Jr DT, RS So. Jessica Moore, Jr. Conlon, Jr. Morgan Valley, and RS So. Ashley Battle.
I think the point is that he has given debut starter roles to some players in the past but even for big talents like a Tina Charles or Breanna Stewart there has been some struggles fitting into the UConn lineup. DT and Maya did not start off the bat (no pressing need), so the standard group like Saniya has nothing to fret about there.

Geno doesn't really care about position labels that much, and it's a little odd to be calling 3-pt ace Maria the PG on a team that had DT directing the traffic and leading the team by a lot in assists. Lot of us would just say she was a guard. Even Nicole Wolff's role as a PG in the 10 games she played could be challenged on the grounds that she averaged 2.4 assists and 1.9 TOs. She also shot 33%, which probably also factors in Geno's preference not to put that pressure on freshman right off and instead let them learn the game by subbing in. Worked pretty well with Maya and DT as they did figure out how to play the game for the Huskies fairly soon after subbing apprenticeships.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't really care about position labels that much, and it's a little odd to be calling 3-pt ace Maria the PG on a team that had DT directing the traffic and leading the team by a lot in assists......
......and winning the Nancy Lieberman Award - twice.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
and it's a little odd to be calling 3-pt ace Maria the PG on a team that had DT directing the traffic and leading the team by a lot in assists. Lot of us would just say she was a guard. Even Nicole Wolff's role as a PG in the 10 games she played could be challenged on the grounds that she averaged 2.4 assists and 1.9 TOs. She also shot 33%, which probably also factors in Geno's preference not to put that pressure on freshman right off and instead let them learn the game by subbing in. Worked pretty well with Maya and DT as they did figure out how to play the game for the Huskies fairly soon after subbing apprenticeships.

Okay, you made me look up the stats. First, keep in mind that DT started every game that season, while Maria didn't start until the 10th game. Also, DT was constantly doubled teamed, which gave her more of an opportunity to find an open teammate. With that caveat, DT had 161 assists and 115 turnovers. Conlon, by contrast, was second on the team with 130 assists and only 65 turnovers. I remember that Conlon usually brought the ball up the court, giving DT a well deserved break. Yes, DT and Conlon shared guard roles, but I think it is a little unfair to relegate Conlon to just a "3-pt ace."

Reaction Score
Saniya's problem last year was mental. She wanted Geno to tell her what to do if I recall correctly. Geno had wanted her to decide for herself depending on the situation. I hope that Saniya will live up to her potential this year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Okay, you made me look up the stats. First, keep in mind that DT started every game that season, while Maria didn't start until the 10th game. Also, DT was constantly doubled teamed, which gave her more of an opportunity to find an open teammate. With that caveat, DT had 161 assists and 115 turnovers. Conlon, by contrast, was second on the team with 130 assists and only 65 turnovers. I remember that Conlon usually brought the ball up the court, giving DT a well deserved break. Yes, DT and Conlon shared guard roles, but I think it is a little unfair to relegate Conlon to just a "3-pt ace."
As I said, she was guard, and she was also a 3-pt ace. You added the "just." I suppose bringing the ball up court sometimes can make you a PG, and maybe the BattleBot could also have been considered the PG when in because she sometimes did that. Heck, Stef brought the ball up court sometimes last year, so maybe she was a PC. Maria did average 2 minutes less than DT, but the assist discrepancy is great, and usually it is a PG who leads the team in dishes. As j66 said, DT got the Liebermans, but perhaps she should return them now that the truth is out about her real nature, or maybe she can give them to Maria.

What do you call a problem like Maria's position? To me it will always be a Husky guard, which is a lot more to be prouder of than trying to say that you were the PG for one of the all-time greatest PGs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me, I will always have great memories about Maria Colon. Sure she is not DT, SB or even AA. But she was the PG who won NC and was not only consistent, dependable and also always played to the best of her abilities. It sure did not hurt that she is also a 3-pt ace!!!! And of course she is from Connecticut!!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maria was not tall, and she was not espcially quick of foot, BUT she was a tremendous passer and had a wonderful mind for the game, as well as being an excellent 3-point shooter. Whether she was or was not a point guard is really rather beside the point, don't you think?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think it was Maria of whom Geno said something along the following lines: She's not tall, but she makes up for it by being slow." What was Maria? She was DT's "other guard" and she played that role superbly. Tough, gritty and all but unflappable. She had the ball and you weren't worried. As the zorro says, she had and has a great mind for the game. One of my all time fav Huskies.

If a thread has to be stolen, this is a worthy digression.

PS. Go Saniya. Get a championship as a starter.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Now, back to the subject of this thread. Saniya. She comes out of my old HS stomping ground and had my eye with the first mentioning of her as a recruit. She appeared to be the whole deal both subjectively and objectively. I remember an early season Geno show where he tossed Saniya the ball and said : " make a three". Swish. Geno: "She doesn't miss." Yummmy. Fast forward to the post NC Championship minutes: Broke my heart to see the look on Saniya's face. If she had one of those thought balloons from the cartoons over her head it would say: "I should feel so good, but I don't." I truly hope that her sophomore year is a great success. I said in another thread that I suspect the 2 guard spot is going to be fluid and well shared during the year and Kia Nurse is another fav of mine BUT I very much hope that come tourney time the starting 2 guard is Saniya. If that comes true, then I suspect Tony will have to revise his predictions upward.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I do not want bears in my mind, thank you very much!!!

*sigh* You have no idea what yer missin'!

Sure, try to get dam' near the whole country, tryin' ta figure out "whut do the fox say?", and that's okey-dokey, but just ask ya to give us a passin' thought, and, ya get all huffy 'bout it ....:rolleyes:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Foxes are of a different order. Read your Aesop.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't worry no bear can fit in the tiny old mind of a fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom