Same old song and dance. If UConn was valuable then... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Same old song and dance. If UConn was valuable then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
joke
jōk/
noun
  1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
    "she was in a mood to tell jokes"
    synonyms: funny story, jest, witticism, quip;

I guess I still don't understand how this is a joke.

It took you nine hours to find the definition of "joke?" Oh and you missed the part that applied, I guess. See where it says "a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter?" Yep, that would be the part. Perhaps you weren't amused but judging by the number of likes the post got, it seems others were. Those people must just have senses of humor.

If you don't lighten up, then, as someone else suggested, you may not enjoy this place.

Just wait until the basketball board starts hanging people come March...

Reaction Score
It took you nine hours to find the definition of "joke?" Oh and you missed the part that applied, I guess. See where it says "a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter?" Yep, that would be the part. Perhaps you weren't amused but judging by the number of likes the post got, it seems others were. Those people must just have senses of humor.

If you don't lighten up, then, as someone else suggested, you may not enjoy this place.

Just wait until the basketball board starts hanging people come March...
Yes, it took 9 hours - I actually have a job. And no, I don't care about the number of likes your post got - haven't seen a petty popularity contest since high school. The only thing that is comical about your response is the irony of it all.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Yes, it took 9 hours - I actually have a job. And no, I don't care about the number of likes your post got - haven't seen a petty popularity contest since high school. The only thing that is comical about your response is the irony of it all.

I actually have a job, as well. And you've done a lot of posting today, even while holding a job, so it's not like you didn't have the time to imitate Webster earlier. It's just odd that we had an entire conversation after the initial post without you providing me a definition of the word "joke" then nine hours after the fact, after an entire further exchange of messages, you decided to again address that post. Strange, really.

Anyway, you've made a bunch of fans here in two weeks, Doc. Keep up the great work.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I never said you didn't. Very bizarre.

The word "actually" would insinuate that you believe the reader is unlike you- not privileged enough to be like 94% of society and actually be employed. Anyway, it's been a pleasure conversing with you, Sir. Have a sparkling evening.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Every time I start writing "This is the most idiotic thread I've ever read..." I stop and realize I just need to wait a little bit and it will be surpassed by something even more moronic. But this one is a winner.

This IS the most idiotic thread I've ever read, and will likely never be surpassed (at least not in my lifetime).

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Every time I start writing "This is the most idiotic thread I've ever read..." I stop and realize I just need to wait a little bit and it will be surpassed by something even more moronic. But this one is a winner.

This IS the most idiotic thread I've ever read, and will likely never be surpassed (at least not in my lifetime).

You're welcome.

Reaction Score
I never said you didn't. Very bizarre.

VPDcurt - did you say what kind of Doc you are? If you did, I am sorry I missed it. Regardless, I think you would be well-suited as a medical examiner - dealing only with the dead...

Reaction Score

You must be planning to have a short life, because odds are good that this thread gets surpassed by some horror before half time of MNF.

Reaction Score
So basically we should have upgraded when the Big East added football, would they have accepted us then like they did later on?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So basically we should have upgraded when the Big East added football, would they have accepted us then like they did later on?
My recollection is that they were required to by the Big East bylaws. Villanova too.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I do have to admit that there must be some truth to that sentiment. Emotionally, we see UConn as a good fit in a P5 conference. But realistically, if it made financial sense to the P5s, we would already be in one. No questions asked.

This only makes sense if you look at realignment as one single event. It isn't. Each move has had its own independent facts and circumstances. I doubt you're sophisticated enough to understand.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
You must be planning to have a short life, because odds are good that this thread gets surpassed by some horror before half time of MNF.
The thought did cross my mind.

Reaction Score
If you downvote WF for being a small-ish private college, then...

Purdue (way)> WF > Washington State

I believe your Big Ten invite is just a matter of time. New England, along with another slice of NYC metro, is too academically and culturally rich to pass up.
Its all about the $, and only the $.

Reaction Score
The problem with the whole p5 designation is that it is used now to suggest a level of athletic department/football program quality. That is not what it is. Five competing conferences were able to work together to make big dollar agreements with networks to get themselves paid and everyone else minimized. It is now in their interest to circle the wagons to the extreme, so that every other competitor eventually withers away on the vine.

We are not n a P5 because we were not in the P5 when the doors were shut, not because we are not worth it. We are worth it by any objective measure as compared to the entirety of the p5.

Reaction Score
The problem with the whole p5 designation is that it is used now to suggest a level of athletic department/football program quality. That is not what it is. Five competing conferences were able to work together to make big dollar agreements with networks to get themselves paid and everyone else minimized. It is now in their interest to circle the wagons to the extreme, so that every other competitor eventually withers away on the vine.

We are not n a P5 because we were not in the P5 when the doors were shut, not because we are not worth it. We are worth it by any objective measure as compared to the entirety of the p5.

Wait for it. Your Managerial Economics course 201: CARTELS always cheat. Yes, they have effectively shut the door. At some point in the very near future, this is going to break open. Why? Because the Universities with the most leverage can break pieces of this for superlative returns and cash. This isn't egalitarian and somehow that is going to be clear in one fell swoop.

Reaction Score
Value is either readily apparent or perceived to be there in the future.

UConn is not in a P5 - it's time for the delusional thinking to stop.

Neither was WVU, Rutgers, Louisville, Utah and TCU. Now they are.

I must ask the obvious, if the perceived future value was there for those schools why do you think it isn't there for UCONN?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UConn was the victim of a LOT of bad luck and circumstance, as well as bad decision making by others, and bad decision making on its own part.

Bad decisions by UConn:
- P. Duh. An absolutely disastrous hire by UConn at the worst possible time.
- Failing to value attendance at football games and allowing the numbers to dwindle without much response, thus furthering the narrative that no one shows up to our football games.
- I don't know how much difference it would've made with the upswell of the southern ACC football schools wanting a football team rather than "another" basketball school, but UConn's monitoring of the UL/UConn decision by the ACC in 2012 was at the very least bad from a PR perspective. The confluence of events that led to the UL decision may have been out of our hands by that point, but the public image of what Warde and Herbst did during that time was not good.
- No matter how many of you don't want to hear it, the perception is that since our football team does not play on campus, we're somehow second rate. Right or wrong, it is what it is.
- Of course, not moving to FBS football sooner. That's the underlying issue behind everything. If we'd upgraded sooner and began the process sooner, it's highly unlikely we're in the AAC right now.

I'm probably forgetting what other things happened, but these are most of them. We're not in a P5 league right now for all of these reasons.

I know I'm late to the party on this thread but these last two bullets are so accurate I figured I had to comment on them. Had UConn upgraded football building a large on campus facility between 1896(first year of program)-1960 we are not in this position more than likely. College football is the ultimate "tradition" driven sport- there really isn't much room for new kids on the block to come into play. The money/greed/power is held by those that have been good and important on the CFB landscape for decades. In all honesty, look where the programs that joined FBS when we did or later are on the college football power grid. They are way way way down the list, almost exclusively G5. When I tell people in NC (where I live) that our stadium is 22 miles from campus they are legitimately stunned. I understand why we did it (don't like it, but have accepted it) but to outsiders they can't imagine doing something like that and they believe it makes our program & fan base small time. Almost all of this would have been solved by moving to FBS football before the 60's.

What is kind of amazing to think about is how lucky we were to be playing BCS level football at all. The only reason we were afforded an opportunity to jump to a BCS conference was due to the insane structure of the old Big East with the basketball only members. Had our basketball program been in the A10 and not the Big East- is UConn granted an invite to a BCS conference when it makes the jump from FCS to FBS? I doubt it.

Also a slightly unrelated note- our strengths as a potential addition to a P5 league (NYC presence, Boston presence, large TV markets, strong olympic sports, strong emphasis on academics, etc) unfortunately match up LEAST with the Big XII. A lot of people are forgetting that. The fact that we are even in the final group of candidates for this conference should speak to the remarkable job that Susan and David are doing to present the university to the Big XII. If the XII expands without us, while it would suck incredibly hard, I don't know that it would feel like the true gut punch that it did when the ACC passed over us twice (and to a lesser extent the B1G once). We have strong leadership and I do believe that they will do everything in their power to ensure the future of UConn athletics because they are real leaders who understand the importance of athletics to the student experience and marketing side of the university and understand the ever changing scene that is collegiate athletics at the FBS level. Better days will come, and I hope soon, but with Susan and David at the helm I believe we will be okay regardless of what happens with the XII.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So UCLA isn't P5 worthy? Miami? Washington or Oregon? (technically off campus in both cases). Pitt? Baylor? USCe? I think it was a mistake to build the Rent off campus. It was short sighted. But it isn't fatal, and UConn isn't unique in that regard. Yes UConn is a young program, but one that actually was pretty successful in the Big East very quickly.

The second point is the one I raised earlier, which you griped about.

Both UCLA and Miami play or played in where 2 of the most important games yearly were held. And also hold multiple national championships in the sport. UCLA plays in the freakin Rose Bowl, that's just a tad different from playing in Rentschler no?

Miami played in the Orange Bowl for the longest time and is honestly one of the luckiest schools in this entire process IMO. The university was considering disbanding the program before Schnellenberger got there. People still mock their stadium situation being in Sun Life Stadium. Not to mention they are essentially land locked in Coral Gables. The administration/fan support considering their success is pathetic.

More importantly- these programs have been playing FBS football for 80+ years. This fact, above all else, helps them overcome this. Not to mention UCLA is a founding member of the PAC. You just can't compare UConn playing at the Rent to UCLA and Miami playing in the Rose and Orange Bowl's respectively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom