Same old song and dance. If UConn was valuable then... | The Boneyard

Same old song and dance. If UConn was valuable then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Checked the Virginia Tech Conference realignment page this morning. In particular I was reading about what a great add Louisville was. No mention of the hookers/strippers. Of course someone takes the standard shot at UConn that if we had any value then we'd already be in a conference. This line pisses me off more than I could express. How do you change that narrative? I didn't respond because then I look like one of those guys, like our trolls, who only responds when our school is mentioned. At least the prior message mentioned us versus Virginia on SNY and that we get play in NY.

TechSideline.com

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I do have to admit that there must be some truth to that sentiment. Emotionally, we see UConn as a good fit in a P5 conference. But realistically, if it made financial sense to the P5s, we would already be in one. No questions asked.

Last edited:

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I do have to admit that there mustn't be some truth to that sentiment. Emotionally, we see UConn as a good fit in a P5 conference. But realistically, if it made financial sense to the P5s, we would already be in one. No questions asked.
Must or mustn't? You mustn't be joking.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I do have to admit that there mustn't be some truth to that sentiment. Emotionally, we see UConn as a good fit in a P5 conference. But realistically, if it made financial sense to the P5s, we would already be in one. No questions asked.

That's a silly argument. The structure of the financial system is different for each conference. Each one is weighing several different factors in deciding who to invite or whether to expand. Since the whole this is a club, nobody gets kicked out. Certainly UConn is more valuable that Wake Forest. It isn't close. Yet WF will never be kicked out.

So teams only get added when the whole system grows in size. Growing the number of slices of the pie only happens when the pie grows or existing schools lose money. The growth of the pie is not really directly related to any one member, its more macro-economic than micro. The whole concept of "School X has to bring $35M" is absurd. U Texas, with no opponents to play, is worth nothing. So it all depends on the interrelationship of the schools, how they help each other, and how that conference monetizes its programs. Does anyone think Rutgers, if not in the Big Ten, would be high on the Big 12 list? They wouldn't be.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I do have to admit that there must be some truth to that sentiment. Emotionally, we see UConn as a good fit in a P5 conference. But realistically, if it made financial sense to the P5s, we would already be in one. No questions asked.
Nope. The logic is silly. Louisville wasn't valuable enough one day, and then was the next? TCU? West Virginia?

One day Rutgers wasn't valuable enough for the B10, and the next day, poof, they are.

The truth to it is that there's a calculus to whether a team is worth adding that goes far beyond "value."

Reaction Score
That's a silly argument. The structure of the financial system is different for each conference. Each one is weighing several different factors in deciding who to invite or whether to expand. Since the whole this is a club, nobody gets kicked out. Certainly UConn is more valuable that Wake Forest. It isn't close. Yet WF will never be kicked out.

So teams only get added when the whole system grows in size. Growing the number of slices of the pie only happens when the pie grows or existing schools lose money. The growth of the pie is not really directly related to any one member, its more macro-economic than micro. The whole concept of "School X has to bring $35M" is absurd. U Texas, with no opponents to play, is worth nothing. So it all depends on the interrelationship of the schools, how they help each other, and how that conference monetizes its programs. Does anyone think Rutgers, if not in the Big Ten, would be high on the Big 12 list? They wouldn't be.
This argument makes no sense and is nothing more than fluff/nonsense. Yes, there are several partnerships that have persisted throughout realignment (Wake in the ACC), but when adding new teams, it'a all about money. Any other way of thinking is delusional - which is exactly why we, as UConn fans, are always flustered when we are left out. We look at it from a different perspective.

Reaction Score
Nope. The logic is silly. Louisville wasn't valuable enough one day, and then was the next? TCU? West Virginia?

One day Rutgers wasn't valuable enough for the B10, and the next day, poof, they are.

The truth to it is that there's a calculus to whether a team is worth adding that goes far beyond "value."
Value is either readily apparent or perceived to be there in the future.

UConn is not in a P5 - it's time for the delusional thinking to stop.

Reaction Score

Where do I begin...

We were destined for the ACC in 2011 when Be-f-f-i-n-gC claims they black balled us. Were we valuable then and not now? Do we have value to a P-5 conference because of market? Some think so. Haven't we learned from Rutroh's add to the B1G that performance doesn't matter because it's all about market? Regarding LV, watch the bloom come off the rose. They will never even own Kentucky, let alone some vast stretch of middle America. In the end, it is a $#!tty school that will remain a $#!tty school and bad habits regarding recruiting die hard. These two factors will haunt LV and the ACC in the future. People are often taken in by transitory success, but we'll see if it has any legs.

In the meantime, try a different tack or you'll simply be regarded as the most obvious troll to ever darken our door...

Reaction Score
Where do I begin...

Haven't we learned from Rutroh's add to the B1G that performance doesn't matter because it's all about market?
Could not have said it better myself.

Reaction Score
And I'm not a troll - just a frustrated fan who thinks it's time to open our eyes to the fact that we aren't in a P5 and are unlikely to join one in the foreseeable future. Rather than continually blaming others (a trend seen on this board all the time and anywhere else you find UConn fans), it's time to look a thing the faults in our own candidacy. Everyone on here reads the most recent article regarding expansion, and while most if not all are extremely vague (as they must be due to the NDA), they persistently say "this most recent one screams UConn to me!!!"

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Enjoy the burning at the stake you're about to receive, newb.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It was geography when geography mattered.

It was football tradition when we were new to the big time game.

It was cable boxes when cable boxes mattered.

It was winning FB games when FSU needed someone to pound them by 40 points.

We have always been valuable. The Big East knew it, Hockey East new it. BC, Cuse, and Pitt absolutely knew it. It is a strange set of shifting circumstances that led to our current predicament. If Dan O had thrown his last pass in 1994 instead of 2004, if we hadon't won the BE in 2000 instead of 2010, if BC and Syracuse didn't have a glimmer of mediocrity then instead of the sinkholes they now inhabit we'd be in a much better place.

Value has nothing to do with it. We are short $10-20M a year to these programs and we still out earn some of them.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
And I'm not a troll - just a frustrated fan who thinks it's time to open our eyes to the fact that we aren't in a P5 and are unlikely to join one in the foreseeable future. Rather than continually blaming others (a trend seen on this board all the time and anywhere else you find UConn fans), it's time to look a thing the faults in our own candidacy. Everyone on here reads the most recent article regarding expansion, and while most if not all are extremely vague (as they must be due to the NDA), they persistently say "this most recent one screams UConn to me!!!"
So do you believe there is merit in the tired mantra I noted? Saying we won't be in a P5 and whether we are worthy is 2 different questions. I agree we probably won't be in one for a while, but I firmly believe we are worthy.
I think we're a victim (so to speak) of a number of factors. No AAU for the B1G. BCU screwjob and then the desire by FSU & Clemson to add a FB school. For the Big 12 it may come down to geography. Does any of it mean we're not worthy, no. You can find a number of grandfathered schools who are in only because they got there a long time ago.
Bottom line for me is that I think that line is crap, but the longer it goes on the more of a reality it becomes in people's minds outside of us. If Cincy and BYU are chosen, it further cements it. I'm tired of reading it.

Reaction Score
So do you believe there is merit in the tired mantra I noted? Saying we won't be in a P5 and whether we are worthy is 2 different questions. I agree we probably won't be in one for a while, but I firmly believe we are worthy.
I think we're a victim (so to speak) of a number of factors. No AAU for the B1G. BCU screwjob and then the desire by FSU & Clemson to add a FB school. For the Big 12 it may come down to geography. Does any of it mean we're not worthy, no. You can find a number of grandfathered schools who are in only because they got there a long time ago.
Bottom line for me is that I think that line is crap, but the longer it goes on the more of a reality it becomes in people's minds outside of us. If Cincy and BYU are chosen, it further cements it. I'm tired of reading it.

I do believe we are worthy of a P5, but none of that matters unless we are selected to join one. Expansion has been all about football, and thus money, and we just aren't there yet with football. That's been our problem - we weren't screwed by FSU & Clemson; we were screwed because we didn't have a big enough football program.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I'm quivering over here. So scared. What a lame thing to say on a message board.

Lol. Right. Because my post was really meant to strike fear in you... That was my goal and you, well, you showed me!

I was trying, in a friendly, joking way I might add, to tell you that your post is sure to stir up 100 responses taking aim at what you said. But brave old you, you didn't need me to tell you. Look at you now! You're willing to stand down the angry mob and their virtual pitchforks all by yourself! Well, I salute you for being so tough, sir. When is the Medal of Honor ceremony to reward you for your courage?

Reaction Score
Lol. Right. Because my post was really meant to strike fear in you... That was my goal and you, well, you showed me!

I was trying, in a friendly, joking way I might add, to tell you that your post is sure to stir up 100 responses taking aim at what you said. But brave old you, you didn't need me to tell you. Look at you now! You're willing to stand down the angry mob and their virtual pitchforks all by yourself! Well, I salute you for being so tough, sir. When is the Medal of Honor ceremony to reward you for your courage?
The lack of introspection is so evident on this board in so many ways - which is precisely my point. Thank you.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
The lack of introspection is so evident on this board in so many ways - which is precisely my point. Thank you.

Not sure what point I furthered for you, but you're welcome?

Reaction Score
Not sure what point I furthered for you, but you're welcome?
Ironically, the lack of the ability to analyze one's own motives and deficiencies. Seems like the move from 57 to 60 was justified.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Ironically, the lack of the ability to analyze one's own motives and deficiencies. Seems like the move from 57 to 60 was justified.

Wow. Now you're going to tell me what my motives are?... Lol. I was joking with you to begin with, but Mr. Serious apparently doesn't have a sense of humor.

Anyway, your existence here has pretty much gone this way: newbie comes here, and within two weeks insults an entire community for actually being fans of the team on whose board he is writing before the introductions to the board are even out of the way, then proceeds to tell me what my personality is, like he programmed me or something. Sorry Dr. Frankenstein but the only person who has lacked any introspect so far in this thread has been you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We're plenty introspective. Go look at a Memphis board for delusional nuts.

"If X were worthy to be _______ it would already be there" is simply put, never valid. It assumes a fixed and immutable system. Try it with anything.

If the South End of Boston was going to be gentrified it already would be.
If Toyota was going to pass GM in market share it already would have.
If Jimmy Garappolo was any good, he'd already be an NFL starter.
If UConn was worthy to be a P5 it would already have an invite.

It's a defeatist point of view taken only by people who are complete losers. Change happens. Always. It is unstoppable. It can be shaped and affected by our actions.

Reaction Score
I believe that both Fairfield_1st and VPDcurt are seeing pieces of the whole. Long story short, as I'm sure the UConn fans who are into Conference Realignment (CR) are already aware, UConn is the victim of a series of poor choices, politics, and circumstances; most of which are beyond the schools' control. And I would agree with many readers/commentators on this board that UConn really did get the short end of the stick when it comes to CR.

BTW, I would like to point out that not all fan bases are monolithic.

Now ladies and gentlemen, I would point out to you, if you would bear with me, that each P5 conference has their own agenda and those agendas are generated by the needs of that specific conference. P5 conferences are rather unique and hence their needs and wants are also unique. Further muddying the waters is that the predominant method for generating revenue for conferences are now in flux.

Obviously, the only thing that UConn can control, right now, is to continue to prove to the naysayers the ability of their Football and Basketball teams as well as continued excellence in the world of academia.

For what its worth UConn fans, this VT fan wish you well and hope to see your school, along with Cincinnati, make it into a P5 conference, even if it isn't the ACC. Good day to you.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Honest question, if you don't think we're going to be in a new conference, what are you doing on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom