Sally Jenkins hit piece on Edsall | The Boneyard

Sally Jenkins hit piece on Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK, this has gotten way out of hand! Shows exactly what is wrong with journalism today. Take a one-sided story and run with it to smear someone.

At least Jeff Jacobs presented both sides of the issue. Sadly, due to NCAA rules, we will never hear Edsall's side of the story, only the parents' side of the story.

Randy Edsall believes in commitment — to Randy Edsall

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
This is the MO, of both Sally and her father Dan, when they write.

Reaction Score
We were here when HCRE presided over aftermath of Jasper Howard's death and brought the UConn community together to mourn and never forget. I thought that showed thetrue colors of Edsall. We also went on to win some pretty big games that year never forgetting Jasper's and playing like he called on us to play.

And when HCRE returned this year, we saw the turnout of his former players to support him, the Twitter shoutouts of former players, the return of coach Wholley and an abundance of support from those who experienced all the highs of the Edsall years.

I can easily do without Sally Jenkins' scurrilous comments.

Reaction Score
The power of the pen, The First Amendment , and Freedom of the Press.

Easy to be cynical, negative, scurrilous towards a coach the Washington press viewed negatively since day 1 at Maryland. Let's write and jump on the bandwagon without good investigative reporting.
She missed the issue, which is the system itself and fails or better yet avoids Saban, Harbaugh and the system because it won't sell readership and add space.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bad news is better than no news.

I'm okay with UConn wearing a black hat for a bit and doing a heel turn.

More media in three days than the team got all last season on the national wire.

Reaction Score
To begin, I don't think this is wrong at all. It happens every year at about 20% of schools.

That said, moral ambiguity seems to be a major trait of all the winning programs in ncaa. If one of our kids kicks a puppy next week, I will expect a new years bowl game very soon.

Reaction Score
It's almost exactly the same article she wrote after his first year at Maryland
Pretty much.

Sally in 2012:

Men, there are four ways of doing things aboard my ship: the right way, the wrong way, the Navy way and my way — the Randy Edsall way. Let me say this: We do things my way and no one else’s, because Randy Edsall is all about one thing, and one thing only. And that’s Randy Edsall.

Sally in 2016:

Men, I know only one way to do things on my football team, and that’s the Randy Edsall way. That’s why I, Randy Edsall, can look myself in the mirror and see Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
This is an EASY answer ...

Randy went into Washington - Baltimore space and made enemies with the media. Washington Post has a swath of Sportswriters, Journalists and former Sportswriters (that have gone on to bigger things) that genuinely despise the guy. For whatever success Ralph Friedgen had ... he was nice to the scribes. The current guy has the jury out on him. Edsall did not succeed.

HOWEVER, I don't think Edsall behaved any different in the 1998-2010 timeframe. We used to have 15 Connecticut papers writing sports - less today. He earned enmity. He was secretive. For those of us who followed recruiting, he never gave much hint of his direction. And after losses ... he was blameless.

There is a reason why we can embrace him and he would not play elsewhere. We understand. We went through PP and Diaco.

BTW ... Sally Jenkins went to Michigan. Once again ... hypocrisy rules.

Reaction Score
This is nuts. Edsall was hired how many days ago and already is under fire with the press? Over this? SMH

Reaction Score
I've had all I can take of this non issue and the hypocrisy.

Kid's parents are total whiners.

I've stopped feeling bad for the kid too. He will be able to pick from a number of schools and get a free education playing football. He just won't be able to attend the school he wanted to because he simply wasn't good enough. The horror of it all!

Tell that to the kids who don't have that opportunity who will come out of college saddled with a 6 figure debt.

Screw this.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Good thing I've never heard of this person. Nobody will care what she thinks.

Reaction Score
This is an EASY answer ...

Randy went into Washington - Baltimore space and made enemies with the media. Washington Post has a swath of Sportswriters, Journalists and former Sportswriters (that have gone on to bigger things) that genuinely despise the guy. For whatever success Ralph Friedgen had ... he was nice to the scribes. The current guy has the jury out on him. Edsall did not succeed.

HOWEVER, I don't think Edsall behaved any different in the 1998-2010 timeframe. We used to have 15 Connecticut papers writing sports - less today. He earned enmity. He was secretive. For those of us who followed recruiting, he never gave much hint of his direction. And after losses ... he was blameless.

There is a reason why we can embrace him and he would not play elsewhere. We understand. We went through PP and Diaco.

BTW ... Sally Jenkins went to Michigan. Once again ... hypocrisy rules.

Actually she went to Stanford

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We get it she had an issue when he went to Maryland and now it is just piling on when the media is going nuts over somethign that happens all the time.

Time to ignore and not click these stories as we don't need to feed the trolls looking for clicks.

Reaction Score
Actually she went to Stanford

confused ... with Dana Jacobsen. And OBVIOUSLY, I am a one female sports lady is just like another kind of guy. Sorry Sally

Reaction Score
Pretty much.

Sally in 2012:

Men, there are four ways of doing things aboard my ship: the right way, the wrong way, the Navy way and my way — the Randy Edsall way. Let me say this: We do things my way and no one else’s, because Randy Edsall is all about one thing, and one thing only. And that’s Randy Edsall.

Sally in 2016:

Men, I know only one way to do things on my football team, and that’s the Randy Edsall way. That’s why I, Randy Edsall, can look myself in the mirror and see Randy Edsall.

Glad to see her Master's Degree in Copy + Paste amounted to something. There's a special c-word for people like her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom