Sadie Edwards to transfer | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sadie Edwards to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. Source for Lawlor having a scholarship?

2. It is unclear if an unrecruited player who gets aid is a counter.

3. IF Lawlor was given a scholarship, it would be made clear that is is year-to-year and would not be available if needed for a recruit or transfer.

1. I can't find the article now but I am pretty sure(as is DobbsRover) that I read it.

2. No it is very clear that is anybody recruited, walk on, invited walk on, anybody receives "ATHLETIC AID" they are a counter.

3. I am not sure that Geno would pull a scholly from someone he has already given one to

Reaction Score
Yes, as long as it is not need-based aid or academic. If the aid falls into one of those categories (or a few others), then it depends on whether or not the athlete was recruited, which means, in simple terms, either (a) had an official visit; (b) was offered athletic scholarship money; or (c) had an off-campus meeting with a coach. Normally an unrecruited athlete can't be a counter if all he/she receives is need-based aid or an academic scholarship. It is possible she was not a counter for track purposes, which then would muddy the waters as to whether she is a basketball counter. Even then, it is unclear whether she is receiving "athletic" aid for basketball, having not been recruited and being a pure walk-on. Many teams have walk-ons getting some type of financial aid who are not counters. I imagine UConn had to talk to the NCAA for clarification as to her situation.

But in any event, it is a one year scholarship that does not have to be renewed - or that can be picked up by the track team or UConn as an institution if she is no longer rostered.

You are missing the term "ATHLETIC AID". Not need based, Not academic, Not a grant from the Irish American club but "ATHLETIC AID" or "ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP" is the key.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Still thinking there would have been articles and press release about Lawlor getting the athletic scholarship as there were a few of when Stacey Marron was awarded her scholly back in 2008. I definitely remember discussion about whether Lawlor would get one on the BY last spring, but I can't find any mention in any UConn press releases or the usual media sites that it actually happened. Who knows, in any case, there's still a decent amount of spots open for those 12-foot twins from the Ursa Minor region when they land in a few weeks.

Hope that info wasn't a spoiler for anyone.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just my $.02 on the scholly thing - whether Geno would or would not renew a scholly for a walk on...

Next year he'd have 11, 13 if both walk ons have schollies.

Year after, he currently has 11. I could see him taking 2 more from that class making it 13. if both walk ons have schollies that's 15. AND that's only if he lands 2 more kids from 2016 AND both walk ons have schollies. IMHO it's kind of a moot point as to whether he'd offer one of the walk ons a scholly the following season since it's very unlikely he will recruit more than 15 kids.

It's kind of like arguing with your wife about what you'd do with winning $20 mill in the lottery. Both are very unlikely situations... ;)

By the way in an Pulido said she has dreamed of being at UConn since she was in fifth grade. In an article from last year,

I certainly didn't see [the opportunity] coming,” Pulido said. “In the spring, I noticed a tweet looking for candidates. And I said to myself that I should find out about it.

“I played some pickup, they liked what they saw and then I came back in the fall. And all worked out.”

UConn has transferred Pulido's athletic scholarship to the basketball program, but Lawlor currently is without one."

Since UConn already has a Brianna ([URL='http://articles.courant.com/2013-11-06/sports/hc-ss-ucwomen-walkson-20131106_1_saniya-chong-stefanie-dolson-uconn-men#']Banks
), a Bria (Hartley) and a Breanna (Stewart), Pulido said that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis came up with a nickname for her, Polly, which has stuck.[/URL]

Reaction Score
I was really rooting for Sadie. I think it was amazingly courageous of her to go for her dream, make it to UCONN, and then walk away after what sounds like a very genuine conversation with the staff. Sometimes things don't work out the way we envision. It takes a strong person to realize it and take action. It must have been a very hard decision for everyone concerned. I wish her the best in her new start.

Reaction Score
I don't want to say anything against a player, but I am kind of glad she is gone. If she needs the playing time more than the chance to play for a contender I would rather she goes. I would rather have less players and have them all glad to play their part in a championship (while still having the drive to compete for more playing time). to me this is why I am so happy to see the walk-ons succeed. those are the ultimate UConn players. That said I hope she is happy and continues to succeed.

Reaction Score
This is really sad. Her childhood dream was to play for UCONN. It didn't work out. I feel bad for her.

Yes, it is sad. But I expect there are a great many girls who dream about one day playing for UConn
who will never come close to realizing that dream.

I don't know if it's any consolation for Sadie, but at least she did take the floor in a few D1 games
with UCONN across her chest. The memories that she will have of her experiences at UConn and
her connection to players and coaches at UConn are memories that only a very few little girls will
ever have.

Good luck to her.

Reaction Score
I think Hartford would be a great place for her to land. This would solve her desire to be a bigger fish in the pond and also play locally. This would also be for a protege of Geno.
The WNBA will find anyone that can cut it, just as EDD had no problem getting there via Delaware. Not saying her game is on that level just a fact if you got it the next level will find you.
Good luck Sadie...

Reaction Score
Just my $.02 on the scholly thing - whether Geno would or would not renew a scholly for a walk on...

Next year he'd have 11, 13 if both walk ons have schollies.

Year after, he currently has 11. I could see him taking 2 more from that class making it 13. if both walk ons have schollies that's 15. AND that's only if he lands 2 more kids from 2016 AND both walk ons have schollies. IMHO it's kind of a moot point as to whether he'd offer one of the walk ons a scholly the following season since it's very unlikely he will recruit more than 15 kids.

It's kind of like arguing with your wife about what you'd do with winning $20 mill in the lottery. Both are very unlikely situations... ;)

By the way in an Pulido said she has dreamed of being at UConn since she was in fifth grade. In an article from last year,

I certainly didn't see [the opportunity] coming,” Pulido said. “In the spring, I noticed a tweet looking for candidates. And I said to myself that I should find out about it.

“I played some pickup, they liked what they saw and then I came back in the fall. And all worked out.”

UConn has transferred Pulido's athletic scholarship to the basketball program, but Lawlor currently is without one."

Since UConn already has a Brianna (
Banks ), a Bria (Hartley) and a Breanna (Stewart), Pulido said that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis came up with a nickname for her, Polly, which has stuck.

disappointed, E, I expect my full dollars worth, not a measly morsel...

1) I would never ever argue with my wife about what to do with a $20 million lottery win. I'd simply vanish.
2) Unless Lawlor's parents won that $20 million lottery, Tierney should immediately be awarded a bball athletic scholarship.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yes it wouldnt be the first and definitely not the only schools who look to have a extra schollie on hand. If he wanted her to stay and thought she be a player in the future she still will be a huskie. Obviously he thinks she'll never see much playing time there so why waste her time.
Remenber everyone is not for UConn
I doubt that he would pro actively move someone this soon unless there was a really serious issue going on. Which could be the case. I would think having a 4th pure guard on the bench this season would have been a positive - all things being equal. We don't have real 1 & 2 guards coming in next year.

Reaction Score
So Sadie mentioned in the youtube video clip above that she got offer from UK, Louisville, Tenn, ND.
Really ? If that's true, may be she is better than I thought.
She has the HS resume... but she's playing the same position as Kia Nurse. She wasn't going to get Kia's minutes.

Reaction Score
I doubt that he would pro actively someone this soon unless there was a really serious issue going on. Which could be the case. I would think having a 4th pure guard on the bench this season would have been a positive - all things being equal. We don't have real 1 & 2 guards coming in next year.
True agree with you on the guards for next year but we still have mojeff chong and Nurse while you can swing LouConn and Collier at the 2. Everyone on next year team will be able to handle the ball except Butler and Boykins. Plus if he want to sign another guard in the spring we still can do that

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I agree, but it doesn't look like she wanted to wait. Which is her choice.

Bummed to see her go. Coming in, she was my favorite from the class. Wish her luck with wherever she goes. Hope it's to a team I can cheer for her. I thought she might end up transferring down the road, really didn't expect it this soon though.

A few people on here have talked about having too many players, but like I said, there are always going to be injuries and transfers. Don't worry about having too many. It'll work itself out. If you want to worry, worry about having too few.
No kidding- your favorite? That's interesting. I think she will pan out to be a really good player. What a basketball build she has.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
True agree with you on the guards for next year but we still have mojeff chong and Nurse while you can swing LouConn and Collier at the 2. Everyone on next year team will be able to handle the ball except Butler and Boykins. Plus if he want to sign another guard in the spring we still can do that
HU- i am more worried about this year being thin at guard. I'm not paranoid - losing sleep nervous. When we lost Samarie Walker, a naturally solid defender and rebounder, on that thin bench that year- to me was a devastating blow to our chance to win the NC. Stef was still a bit slow, fouling a lot, and the only bench we had was Dixon I think. And in the semis or NC vs N Dame, Stef got two really quick fouls and against that ND team, that game was over very quickly- in my opinion.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My impression on the scholly issue is that Pulido had been awarded a Track scholarship and that when she switched to BB;
that being a sport of higher priority (word), her scholarship was counted against the BB program

Lawlor came to UConn as a non-scholarship student but the Basketball program awarded her one on a year to year basis if they had one available (which they almost always do).

The subject was discussed at length last season and I'm quite certain that the above is the final conclusion

Reaction Score
HU- i am more worried about this year being thin at guard. I'm not paranoid - losing sleep nervous. When we lost Samarie Walker, a naturally solid defender and rebounder, on that thin bench that year- to me was a devastating blow to our chance to win the NC. Stef was still a bit slow, fouling a lot, and the only bench we had was Dixon I think. And in the semis or NC vs N Dame, Stef got two really quick fouls and against that ND team, that game was over very quickly- in my opinion.
Lol i was seriously hurt when Walker left because I didn't understand why. She was getting a lot of minutes and playing well.

Reaction Score
1. I can't find the article now but I am pretty sure(as is DobbsRover) that I read it.

2. No it is very clear that is anybody recruited, walk on, invited walk on, anybody receives "ATHLETIC AID" they are a counter.

3. I am not sure that Geno would pull a scholly from someone he has already given one to

1. I never read that, and can't find any link to support it.

2. Yes, IF the aid is specifically categorized as athletic aid - which we don't know.

3. Geno on other occasions has given walk-ons scholarships, with the understanding that it might not last for more than one year. If the scholarship was really needed - and it is doubtful it would be - the player could simply stop playing and be given a general scholarship if she needed the aid.

Reaction Score
She really wasn't happy here I guess. I think she wanted to stay closer to home and her parent/s wanted her to come here. She hit the freshman wall. And when she walked off the court at MSG during Ohio State game being yelled at by Geno. I guess when Geno asked her if she wanted to play for UConn- she didn't answer him. I think that was the beginning of the end. That's what I heard. I think every freshman we ever had has almost quit. We can only guess how difficult it is.
Even Stef Dolson wanted to leave during her freshman year. Glad she stayed!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I'm not at all surprised by this.

Well, let's see now...

It is either Moriah or Kia who gets the start at pg.

1. You have Moriah Jefferson who is a Jr. and who will either start or be first off the bench. 2014-2016

2. You have Kia Nurse, a freshmen, who will either start or be first off the bench...(can and will see time at the 2 guard as well) 2014-2018

3. You have Saniya Chung who will be 2nd off the bench for point guard. (Can and will see time at the 2 guard as well) 2014-2017

4. You have Crystal Dangerfield who will be the starting point guard or first off the bench.... 2016-2020

5. Then you have Edwards limited to playing point guard...can't really play the 2 (no shot)... will be third off the bench...her minutes if she stayed would have been limited for her entire career 2014-2018

6. What other guards will Geno recruit for 2016-2017, 2017-2018 or 2019-2020????

So let's see what we would have had if Edwards stayed...

2014 - 2015
1st half:
Point Guard - Mo Jeff - first ten minutes
Shooting Guard - Kia Nurse - first ten minutes
Kia Nurse slides over to point guard; Saniya Chong in at two guard - next 5 minutes (to the 15 minute mark)
Kia Nurse out of the game; Mo Jeff back in at the point...Chong stays in at the two guard (next 2-3 minutes)
Edwards subs for her (last 2 minutes of the half)

2nd half:
Same as the first, except in the case of a blow out then Edwards gets a couple of more minutes maybe 4-5 assuming she doesn't have to share them with Pulido or Lawler.

2015-2016
1st half:
Point Guard - Mo Jeff...senior starts...first 10 minutes
Shooting Guard - Kia Nurse, sophomore starts...first 10 minutes
Kia Slides over to the point guard; Saniya Chong, Jr. in at the two guard - next 5 minutes (to the 15 minute mark)
Kia Nurse out of the game...Mo Jeff back in at the point, Chong stays at the 2 guard.
Edwards sophomore subs for her (last 2 minutes of the half)

2nd half:
Same as the first, except in the case of a blow out then Edwards gets a couple of more minutes maybe 4-5 assuming she doesn't have to share them with Pulido or Lawler.

2016-2017
1st half:
Point Guard - Kia Nurse - Junior starts ...first 10 minutes
Shooting Guard - Saniya Chong - Senior starts...first 10 minutes.
Kia Nurse slides over to the two guard spot: Crystal Dangerfield, freshman in at the point guard - next 5 minutes (to the 15 minute mark)
Kia Nurse out of the game; Saniya Chong in at the shooting guard (next 5 minutes to the end of the half), Crystal Dangerfield stays in for three more minutes to the 18 minute mark.
Crystal Dangerfield out; Edwards, Junior in for the last 2 minutes of the half.

2nd half:
Same as the first, except in the case of a blow out then Edwards gets a couple of more minutes maybe 4-5

2017-2018
1st half:
Point Guard - Crystal Dangerfield - Sophomore starts...first 10 minutes
Shooting Guard - Kia Nurse - Senior starts...first 10 minutes
Kia Nurse stays in at Shooting Guard for 7 minutes to the 17:00 mark
Crystal Dangerfield out; Edwards, Senior in for next 7 minutes (to the 17:00 minute mark)
Dangerfield in at the 17:00 minute mark to the end of the half at point guard
Edwards slides over to the shooting guard last 3 minutes; Nurse out

2nd half:
Same as the first, except in the case of a blow out then Edwards gets to play about 10 minutes, assuming Geno doesn't have to work in some other guards that he has yet to recruit.

Reaction Score
I honestly saw this coming from game one when she got so little playing time. I think it must be hard for a highly rated recruit who is so dominant in high school to transition to being last off the bench before the walk on players. She was essentially getting identical minutes to the walk ons. At this point, I really wasn't seeing her getting any first half minutes this season against any competition. Maybe 2 minutes tops. And for a player who wants to play, that must be very hard to deal with.

Her body language in games really indicated that she wasn't fully happy to me. She seems like a player, who with good coaching and playing time, will really get the hang of college ball. She should make an impact wherever she goes. I wish her the best of luck and admire her for making the right decision for her as quickly as she could.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We don't know why Sadie is leaving but if you decide you really need to discuss her motivation and you begin your sentence with "I think..." you are speculating, not discussing facts. Please don't speculate, especially if you feel the need to be insulting or critical of a kid we don't "know" very well. Unless you're the Amazing Kreskin and can read minds from miles away, you are just guessing. Please stop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If she transfers before the start of second semester, then she will be eligible after first semester ends next year - giving her somewhat more than 2.5 years. If for some reason she opted not to play at all next year (doubtful), then she would have three full seasons left.
That's high unlikely for a coach to allow a player to transfer in mid season and then sit out the following season to get 3 full years. The norm with midseason transfer is that they must do a full year of residency then play. I wonder how it works doing a year and a half of residency, if the player will have to pay the half year tuition. A few special cases all being a mid season transfers 1. NCAA waived her sitting out due to hardship sick grandmother and allowed her to play immediately but she sat out anyway. 2. Transfer will be eligible later this month school contiplated a medical redshirt as she would be playing behind a senior. 3. School allowed a transfer but didn't release her from loi making her lose a full year of eligibility.
Think my confusion was from technically there is no half year of eligibility as everything is considered a year. So she has used a year already even though it's been a couple months. If she plays midseason next year that would be considered a year not a half year. So technically she has 3 years of eligibility no matter how you slice it, the number of total games will be reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom