Sadie Edwards to transfer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sadie Edwards to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It is almost impossible for a school at the level of UConn to accommodate the needs of a class of five (Butler is technically in that class as well). Not to be the resident pessimist, but it is likely to happen next year as well when the program has 11 scholarship players. Ideally, one recruits three players each year, with the anticipation that over the four-year cycle two of the 12 are likely to transfer. It doesn't diminish the expectation that a class of Nurse, Butler and Williams could end up being one of the finest classes in the history of the program.
You're forgetting Courtney Ekmark.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry it didn't work out for her here. I was excited to see her play. I get it, though. UConn is a very tough pond to be the big fish in.
She's a talented player who will undoubtedly do well where ever she ends up.

CL82

Reaction Score
At least one of them - Pullido? - is technically on scholarship, because she had a track scholly before she moved from track to Bball. NCAA rules "credit" the higher-profile sport with responsibility for the student's scholarship (otherwise, you'd have coaches from sports like football, bball, maybe hockey in some situations, "stashing" players in lower-profile sports).
Is Polly still running? I can't imagine the track coach honoring her scholly otherwise.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Hey, you never know if one day the transfer(s) will go the other way and a very good player will leave their current school and Geno will welcome her with open arms. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My bad! :oops: I was just reacting to current team. Don't follow Duke recruiting.

Im not trying to be funny, but I do know a team that could use someone of her talent and ability in the future....... a certain team down in Columbia SC..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is Polly still running? I can't imagine the track coach honoring her scholly otherwise.
She would not have a track scholarship but rather one charged against the basketball scholarships.

Reaction Score
Good coaches like Geno are very candid and honest with their players. I would not be surprised if the coaches asked all of the players to come in and have a chat about the first portion of the season and to self-assess. If Sadie was unable to identify her weaknesses in picking up the offensive and defensive system, Geno would not have been reluctant to spell them out for her. He would have been equally direct in giving her a clear-cut appraisal of where she stood in the present and projected future rotation. My guess is that Sadie is mature and smart enough to have a realistic sense of self, and to have come to the conclusion that she faced a long and not very promising road to meaningful playing time at UCONN. I'm also sure that Geno would have been upfront with her from the start during her recruitment: you will get a chance to play based on how you do in practice and how well you progress. She learned every day at practice where she stood so the recent conversation with Geno contained no surprises.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well to follow up some of the follow ups. If you are counting actual scholarships being used

This year (2014/15)was 12, (11 in second semester)
KML, Stokes
Stewart, Jefferson, Pulido (xfr of track scholarship)
Tuck, Chong
Ekmark, Williams, Nurse, Butler, Edwards

Next year 2015/16) will be 12 again
Stewart, Jefferson, Pulido
Tuck, Chong
Ekmark, Williams, Nurse, Butler
Samuelson, Collier, Boykin

The following year (2016/17) is presently set for 11.
Tuck, Chong
Ekmark, Williams, Nurse, Butler
Samuelson, Collier, Boykin
Dangerfield, Irwin

Geno has room for 4 more in 2016/17. Or he may give Lawlor a scholarship. We know he is after at least 1 post in 2016. Maybe 2 posts or maybe 1 post and another guard??? I very highly doubt he's take 4 more to make a class of 15 though.

At one time or another it was reported UCONN was looking at
Posts - Cox, McCoy, Ayieotan
Wings - Brown, Willoughby
Guards - Ionescu, Chou, Jekot

And out of 2017 - Walker, Littleton and Kushkituah, so far. I'm sure more names will pop up there.

Reaction Score
She would not have a track scholarship but rather one charged against the basketball scholarships.

This creates an interesting situation, and I'm not sure how the NCAA handles it.

1. She only had a partial track scholarship, not a full one - but scholarships given expressly for basketball cannot be partials.
2. Normally aid given to players who were not recruited for a sport (need-based aid, academic scholarships, etc) do not count towards a team's scholarship limit. She clearly was not recruited for basketball, so does the aid she receives count at all towards the team's limit?

Reaction Score
No, your math is off by a bit. Counting Edwards, they had 11 scholarship players. Now they have 10. With two leaving and three coming in, they will have 11 next year. Would have had 12 with Edwards. That, as I said, is "plenty of unused ones".

Geno has never had a full allotment of scholarship players - ever. He certainly did not need Edwards' scholarship, and he won't be using it.

13?

let's see
Stokes
Lewis
Stewart
Tuck
Jefferson
Chong
Nurse
Williams
Ekmark
Butler
Edwards....

That looks like 11 to me. Did I forget a scholarship player?

Edwards leaves...makes 10

Pulido and Lawlor as well.

Pulido by NCAA rule because her track scholarship transfers to Basketball.

Lawlor was rewarded by Geno for her hardwork.

Reaction Score
Geno has long been reluctant to start freshmen or give them tons of playing time. Even the #1 high school recruits like KML and Stewie (and #2 ranked Moriah) were non-starters for the vast majority of their games as UConn freshmen. Coach demands so much of his players. They must do things HS all-americans/top 10 recruits who easily scored 25 ppg in high school are generally unaccustomed to doing- playing great defense, picking/screening, giving 100% effort every practice in order to earn minutes. It presents an enormous challenge for kids who have been the top dog every game they laced 'em up. It is quite a unique situation that exists perhaps no place else in women's college basketball. Most coaches, in order to sign the top recruits, guarantee starting positions and playing time. That does not happen here. Top kids brave enough to come to UConn know all that must be earned- and that takes a special kid with an abundance of confidence, ability, toughness and perseverance- to select a university where she is going to sit on the bench for likely the very first time in her basketball career. The payoff? Learning from the best, becoming the best player you can be, winning National Championships. It isn't for everyone.

While I am in agreement with the most, am not sure that she wanted to start- more playing time is what she wanted. The situation with Chong may have awaken her. Although she played well offensively during the Stanford game she was benched and her minutes severely reduced. In a previous thread I mentioned what I take as the winner take all at Uconn. If the preference is for a short rotation then a lot of people are going to be sitting. This thing about practice and playing time has become a gospel fiat in to always rationalize why A is not playing- along with the 'dog house' statement. To me she is the victim of a situation that is changing rapidly in front of us: players are being realistic about where they go, not

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Though it's a different kettle of fish, made me think....

Makes you really appreciate the relatively thankless yet essential role Tierney Lawlor and Briana Pulido played when last year's squad was short bodies (and the guys are not allowed for road practices). Without them, the team could not have run 5X5 practices and certainly would not have been as prepared for opponents as they were. I give them a lot of credit for the team's incredible 40-0 season, I really do. And they continue their hard work today, contributing in whatever way they can to UConn's success. They understand their role, they know their playing time is going to be infinitesimal, yet I bet they work just as hard as any of the "stars," every day.

Thanks for all your hard work and loyalty, Tierney and Briana. It's not often verbalized, but lots and lots of us really appreciate all you do.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

May need to call out the experts on this matter. I too could have sworn that Lawlor was awarded a full scholarship at some point, but nothing shows up in any searches, and I think the SNY article list would have given it a mention in the hundreds of pieces. Meyers doesn't list her, and the Courant said there is currently 9 scholarship players, though they clearly forgot about Pulido's situation via the track scholarship.

Was there a press release on Lawlor getting the scholly?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
It is almost impossible for a school at the level of UConn to accommodate the needs of a class of five (Butler is technically in that class as well). Not to be the resident pessimist, but it is likely to happen next year as well when the program has 11 scholarship players. Ideally, one recruits three players each year, with the anticipation that over the four-year cycle two of the 12 are likely to transfer. It doesn't diminish the expectation that a class of Nurse, Butler and Williams could end up being one of the finest classes in the history of the program.

Wow. Courtney's a distant, fading memory already???

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Pullido and/or Lawlor have been offered a Basketball Scholarship?
They have not been offered a full scholarship (unlike the 2 walk-ons on KO's team). They may be on partial scholarship.

Reaction Score
They have not been offered a full scholarship (unlike the 2 walk-ons on KO's team). They may be on partial scholarship.

Wrong. Pulido is definitely on scholarship due to the fact that she originally had a track scholly but because she played basketball as well her scholly was transferred to count against the basketball team per NCAA regs. I am also 99% sure that Lawlor was awarded a scholly as well as a reward for her hard work.

Partial scholarships are never given in women's basketball because it is a "head count" sport. This means that any aid at all received by a player and they count against the 15 scholarship limit.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What's the deal on Ekmark. Coming back soon I hope.
She was out 4-6 weeks with a "stress reaction" on her foot. Almost a stress fracture but not quite. Word is she will be back closer to the 4 weeks than the 6. I'd guess early January...

CL82

Reaction Score
Wrong. Pulido is definitely on scholarship due to the fact that she originally had a track scholly but because she played basketball as well her scholly was transferred to count against the basketball team per NCAA regs. I am also 99% sure that Lawlor was awarded a scholly as well as a reward for her hard work.

Partial scholarships are never given in women's basketball because it is a "head count" sport. This means that any aid at all received by a player and they count against the 15 scholarship limit.
Anyone know how this distinction came about? I know that track schollies cna be carved up as the coach sees fit.

Reaction Score
Anyone know how this distinction came about? I know that track schollies cna be carved up as the coach sees fit.

In NCAA Division I, the following sports are “head-count” sports: men’s and women’s basketball, football, women’s gymnastics, women’s tennis, and women’s volleyball. All other Division I sports, as well as all Division II sports, are “equivalency” sports. In equivalency sports, coaches can divide their scholarships up as they desire, as they long as they do not exceed the total allowable scholarship value available in their sport. A few examples in Division I are baseball with 11.7, softball with 12, and wrestling with 9.9 scholarships. One athlete on the team may be provided with the cost of tuition, a second athlete on the team may be provided with room and board, and a third athlete on the team may only be provided the value or use of books.
Any student-athlete who receives any amount of athletic financial aid is considered a “counter” per NCAA rules.

Reaction Score

1. Source for Lawlor having a scholarship?

2. It is unclear if an unrecruited player who gets aid is a counter.

3. IF Lawlor was given a scholarship, it would be made clear that is is year-to-year and would not be available if needed for a recruit or transfer.

Reaction Score
If she wanted to play a lot of min. it was pretty clear that it will not happen in UConn so she's made the right decision for her and in reality for the team. It does not help chemistry to have an unhappy player....

Reaction Score
Any student-athlete who receives any amount of athletic financial aid is considered a “counter” per NCAA rules.

Actually it is unclear under NCAA rules. Aid given to an "unrecruited" player is often treated differently. If her aid was classified as need-based or an academic scholarship, treatment is somewhat different since she was not recruited for basketball.

Also, all scholarships are for one year durations. If she were a counter, that is a one-year situation that could be changed at any point her scholarship was needed. They could simply move her back into the track category. No matter what her status, it does not change the number of available scholarships for recruiting purposes.

Reaction Score
This is really sad. Her childhood dream was to play for UCONN. It didn't work out. I feel bad for her.

Reaction Score

Yes, as long as it is not need-based aid or academic. If the aid falls into one of those categories (or a few others), then it depends on whether or not the athlete was recruited, which means, in simple terms, either (a) had an official visit; (b) was offered athletic scholarship money; or (c) had an off-campus meeting with a coach. Normally an unrecruited athlete can't be a counter if all he/she receives is need-based aid or an academic scholarship. It is possible she was not a counter for track purposes, which then would muddy the waters as to whether she is a basketball counter. Even then, it is unclear whether she is receiving "athletic" aid for basketball, having not been recruited and being a pure walk-on. Many teams have walk-ons getting some type of financial aid who are not counters. I imagine UConn had to talk to the NCAA for clarification as to her situation.

But in any event, it is a one year scholarship that does not have to be renewed - or that can be picked up by the track team or UConn as an institution if she is no longer rostered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom