Sabrina Ionescu | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Give her a break, tell us about concrete evidence of her (or her fimily's) Diva-ish behavior. I am not saying she is not. She did not go beyond any deadlines and the commitment of her and the university goes both ways. As long as she is not breaking any rules, bargaining for more privileges, or hosting an ESPN conference to announce her choice of school, I would not call her a diva, being extremely undecisive maybe.

She did go beyond her own deadline for picking a school on 4 different occasions.
  • October 2015 she announced- she will decided on a school at the completion of official visits with the last visit being in time for the early signing period in November
  • November 2015 She announced via twitter and an interview with her coach that she will not be in a position to make a decision and needed more time
  • January 2016 she announced that Texas no longer in the running but OSU, Oregon, Cal &??? were still in consideration and that she would be announcing by the next signing period-April
  • April 2016 during McDonalds AA game interview she re-confirmend the schools she was looking at and said that she would make a decision by April
  • May 2016 still undecided OSU and Cal out and added Washington back in

If you Google her name with school selection you will find articles verifying all of the above.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just an FYI - Romeo is definitely leaving Nebraska and is also looking at Washington and they only have one open roster spot.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
First off, recruiting in general in any sport is not "fair". Coaches handle things in certain ways, and players/families handle things in certain ways; one side is not always completely forthcoming with the other side. And, since coaches can't publicly comment on a recruit (who has not signed an LOI), we never hear their side of any story; we only hear what said recruit wishes to share.

Ionescu is allowed plenty of time; I don't even think she has to sign in the Spring. She could wait to sign prior to enrolling (in the Fall).

After she visited Texas officially in the Fall, she eliminated them from consideration. Not until January did we hear from her that the reason was she felt she had not established the same type relationship with the Texas coaches which she had with her other finalists (Oregon, Cal, OSU), and she didn't believe there would be enough time to build that relationship.

But, now she's adding Washington to the mix? As far as we know, that is recent. I guess it didn't take her long to "build that relationship" with the Husky coaches. Her interest in Washington may have come based on their run to Final Four; perhaps that brought them into consideration.

Bottom line is that a lot of her reasoning (that she has shared with the media) leaves a lot to be desired.

I believe her club coach (Kelly Sopack) is greatly involved in her recruitment. My gut tells me to keep an eye on his future employment status . . .

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Didnt Shoni Shimmel announce her choice, of Louisville, at her HS graduation?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Ms Ionescu's gravest sin has been to be an irritant to impatient message board posters.:mad:

Slap her on the wrist and be done with it.;)
Amen to that! I guess that since this is a message board everyone is entitled to their opinion within the rules of the board, but unless any of the posters on here have had conversations with Sabrina, her family, her current coach, or the coaching staffs of the teams she's eliminated, I can't see how anyone can have a negative opinion of her, in any way shape or form.

Kid's making the biggest decision of her young life so far, and she's taking her sweet time, and yes, possibly even changing her mind a time or 2. I just don't get the rush to judgement, or why it's important to label her in any way...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just an FYI - Romeo is definitely leaving Nebraska and is also looking at Washington and they only have one open roster spot.

Lot of NoCal guards looking for schools with Romeo, Ionescu and Mi'Cole Cayton (Stockton, right?). The recent ESPNw article on her didn't mention Cal or Oregon State as a school that was interested, but that was before Ionescu trimmed her list to Oregon and Washington. This quote from that article was interesting:
"[Yori] has the same style as [St. Mary's coach Tom Gonsalves]. Tom always said, 'Don't walk into my gym if you are not ready to compete,' and [Yori] is the same way."
Of the schools that have reached out to her since, I noticed Rutgers was on that list. That might be taking the Yori model and juicing it....

As for Kathleen Doyle and Vandy from another post, she'll have to wait and see (maybe) what comes of that unsettled situation in regards to whom takes over the coaching reins. See how it compares to the other schools (Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska still in mix I think, etc.), get to know the coaches...make as good a decision as you can.

Reaction Score
It's so much wiser to wait and take your time to make a decision. Have you seen the amount of transfers recently and the flak those players have received? Maybe if some went through a more thoughtful process like Ionescu they wouldn't need to transfer and have to sit a year though I don't blame them as situations change and the ideal of a school may be different than the reality.

Seems like a lose-lose situation, either you make a quick decision you may regret later or take your time and seem like you're a diva. Understand for a 17-18 yr old kid to make a decision on the next four years of their life isn't easy.

Reaction Score
Her drawn out waffling asks questions about other issues. Will her final choice be her final decision? Will she ultimately have second thoughts, especially if the team doesn't meet her expectations? Will she then make a quick sophomore leap to another team? What does this say about her as a player? How decisive will she be when basketball starts blowing real grit in her eyes? Can she chose what kind of player she wants to be? Oregon clearly has a lot of new faces coming next year. Will she feel secure in that kind of logjam? Washington has a more mature team. Wouldn't she need that kind of direction? When her college years are over will she finally be mature enough to live that kind of vagabond life?
Guess if you really thought about it, you coulda come up with a few more questions. Eh?

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
smells like...she was set to go to Oregon (which some of us suspect was the case all along, especially once her brother decided) and then UW got in the mix either because of (1) the Final Four run (and let's face it, a kid from the East Bay may prefer Seattle to Corvallis), (2) a chance to play with Natalie Romeo -- something tells me a roster slot would open up, or (3) both.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
smells like...she was set to go to Oregon (which some of us suspect was the case all along, especially once her brother decided) and then UW got in the mix either because of (1) the Final Four run (and let's face it, a kid from the East Bay may prefer Seattle to Corvallis), (2) a chance to play with Natalie Romeo -- something tells me a roster slot would open up, or (3) both.

Just as a FYI, UO is in Eugene, OSU is in Corvallis. The population of the former is around 150K (250K for the metro area); I think Corvallis has a population somewhere between 40 and 50K.

Reaction Score
She did go beyond her own deadline for picking a school on 4 different occasions.
  • October 2015 she announced- she will decided on a school at the completion of official visits with the last visit being in time for the early signing period in November
  • November 2015 She announced via twitter and an interview with her coach that she will not be in a position to make a decision and needed more time
  • January 2016 she announced that Texas no longer in the running but OSU, Oregon, Cal &??? were still in consideration and that she would be announcing by the next signing period-April
  • April 2016 during McDonalds AA game interview she re-confirmend the schools she was looking at and said that she would make a decision by April
  • May 2016 still undecided OSU and Cal out and added Washington back in

If you Google her name with school selection you will find articles verifying all of the above.
It just proves that she (and her family) are very undecisive. Passing her own deadlines does not constitute to violation of any NCAA rules. If it does create problems for potential candidate schools, they can decide to drop her and withdraw their offers. Again, commitment is really two-way.

Gate81

Reaction Score
Just as a FYI, UO is in Eugene, OSU is in Corvallis. The population of the former is around 150K (250K for the metro area); I think Corvallis has a population somewhere between 40 and 50K.
yes I know. I live out West. I was saying that she added UW as opposed to the other West Coast Final Four team this year.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There is a lot of "chatter" on some Pac 12 forums that UW might offer Sabrina Ionescu's HS and AAU coach an assistants job at UW, to secure Ms. Ionescu's services for the next 4 years.
2 of UW's assistants have recently left for head coaching jobs at Arizona and Eastern Michigan. This leaves UW in need of 2 assistants and fast.

More to follow :cool:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
There is a lot of "chatter" on some Pac 12 forums that UW might offer Sabrina Ionescu's HS and AAU coach an assistants job at UW, to secure Ms. Ionescu's services for the next 4 years.
2 of UW's assistants have recently left for head coaching jobs at Arizona and Eastern Michigan. This leaves UW in need of 2 assistants and fast.

Not surprised; I posted as much here a couple of days ago . . .

Reaction Score

Even without Ionescu, its probably a good hire. Sopok is a good coach, and with his AAU contacts, would be very good for recruiting.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Even without Ionescu, its probably a good hire. Sopok is a good coach, and with his AAU contacts, would be very good for recruiting.

I was thinking the very same thing. Regardless of the situation that is not a bad hire.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And it isn't like there is a manufactured vacancy either with two assistants being hired as HCs. I also think Neighbors is not likely to hire someone he doesn't want to work with just to get a HS commitment - seems to be serious about his staff requirements.

Gate81

Reaction Score
And it isn't like there is a manufactured vacancy either with two assistants being hired as HCs. I also think Neighbors is not likely to hire someone he doesn't want to work with just to get a HS commitment - seems to be serious about his staff requirements.
Neighbors learned from a pro -- Kevin McGuff (former UW now Ohio State).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Ms Ionescu's gravest sin has been to be an irritant to impatient message board posters.:mad:
And yet people feel free to take her to task for not choosing a school in the proscribed (by UConn fans, apparently) period of time, even predicting transfers and inferring selfishness. These are the threads that make me

Smh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99