Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Greeny's rant is ridiculous. Inviting Edsall on his show to discuss this knowing full damn well that he can't talk about it.

Part of the problem here, is the recruitniks who follow this nonsense religiously. College football was much more enjoyable the day I stopped following all of this garbage.

Reaction Score
Greeny's rant is ridiculous. Inviting Edsall on his show to discuss this knowing full damn well that he can't talk about it.

Part of the problem here, is the recruitniks who follow this nonsense religiously. College football was much more enjoyable the day I stopped following all of this garbage.

Any one who follows recruiting knows the story is garbage. It's only those who follow college football casually who might be dragged along by this nonsense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Any one who follows recruiting knows the story is garbage. It's only those who follow college football casually who might be dragged along by this nonsense.

... and the all things UConn haters.

Reaction Score

God — Greenberg is another bleeding-heart pencilneck piggy-backing on easy sensationalism. What a predictable, soap-box overreaction while he simultaneously chokes on Alabama's c••k like the rest of ESPN. Like I wasn't already disgusted with that hypocritical network as it is...

The sentiment I'm getting it's okay when major programs do it.

Harbaugh gets maybe a finger wag, while Edsall and UConn get eviscerated nationally as if they're the first known school to do this. Pots calling the kettle black. Bastards...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is only a story because of the boom in popularity of the recruiting scene.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I am thankful, thanksful Jacobs got the story right....he nailed it and if we are helping him get there, no so be it. Better than our flagship newspaper missing the mark.

This was my thought, he could've at least credited us as a source, but at least the article is fair towards UConn.

Reaction Score
ESPN is the Clinton News Network of sports broadcasting. Connecticut doesn't need them that bad. I'm done with them.

Reaction Score
ESPN is the Clinton News Network of sports broadcasting. Connecticut doesn't need them that bad. I'm done with them.
They'll gossip about whatever they can nowadays. Exhibit A: Stephen A. Smith. I have no idea how Shannon Sharpe would even want his name to be linked to Skip Bayless. But if Shannon Sharpe got a job doing this, sports gossip has a big future. Isn't it already popular in Europe?

Reaction Score

Oh my god keep your dumb opinions in the Cesspool please. Plenty of liberals like myself find this whole thing ridiculous too. Not everything is about left/right, you should turn off the talk radio once in a while and try thinking with your brain.

Reaction Score
Oh my god keep your dumb opinions in the Cesspool please. Plenty of liberals like myself find this whole thing ridiculous too. Not everything is about left/right, you should turn off the talk radio once in a while and try thinking with your brain.

I only mentioned "liberalism" within the context that it's a perpetual mind state, particularly within this region, that is reinforced by mainstream networks and hyperbolic, agenda-driven narratives in order to appeal to certain audiences (which this story is being used for) — and frankly ESPN is no different. That's not particularly, untrue is it? Defensive much?

Reaction Score
I only mentioned "liberalism" within the context that it's a perpetual mind state, particularly within this region, that is reinforced by mainstream networks and hyperbolic, agenda-driven narratives in order to appeal to certain audiences (which this story is being used for) — and frankly ESPN is no different. That's not particularly, untrue is it? Defensive much?

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't understand why UConn can't make a statement with out going into details on a specific recruit. Make a statement in general terms about how Diaco recruits have been handled.

If none of the recruits that have had their scholarships rescinded had been promised they would keep their offer then say it.

" The University of Connecticut has not rescinded on a promise of a scholarship to any Diaco offered players. We made it clear to particular players that our evaluation will continue as we fill out our staff............"

If Edsall did what has been reported then he deserves all the crap that comes with it.
If he didn't, stand up and say you got this wrong. This idea that you can't comment on this in a way that won't get you in trouble is bullshite

We are getting smoked by the media. Stand up and fight if you didn't do what they said.

Last edited:

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Herbst has to be wondering if the Football program is eternally cursed.

Before Diaco ever coached a snap, UConn had to deal with the whole "Jesus in the huddle" ridiculousness.

Now, before Edsall even gets to meet with the team in Storrs, UConn is in the national news for this absolute crap.

Herbst may need to plan for a program exorcism in the 2017 athletic budget.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why UConn can't make a statement with out going into details on a specific recruit. Make a statement in general terms about how Diaco recruits have been handled.

If none of the recruits that have had their scholarships rescinded had been promised they would keep their offer then say it.

" The University of Connecticut has not rescinded on a promise of a scholarship to any Diaco offered players. We made it clear to particular players that our evaluation will continue as we fill out our staff.."

If Edsall did what has been reported then he deserves all the crap that comes with it.
If he didn't, stand up and say you got this wrong. This idea that you can't comment on this in a way that won't get you in trouble is bullshite

We are getting smoked by the media. Stand up and fight if you didn't do what they said.
We are now the poster boy for everything that is wrong in college sports and meanwhile Max Cummins just flipped UConn the middle finger.

Closest your gonna get - Benedict on WTIC yesterday.

Daniel Connolly ‏@DanielVConnolly 6m6 minutes ago
Benedict on recent recruiting controversy: "I can’t speak about any one prospect, but I do believe the system can be improved."

Daniel Connolly ‏@DanielVConnolly 7m7 minutes ago
Benedict said issues like this could be avoided with an early signing period.

Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 7m7 minutes ago
Benedict: "It's a two-sided issue and I think on both sides, university and student-athlete, we could do a better job."

Reaction Score

" The University of Connecticut has not rescinded on a promise of a scholarship to any Diaco offered players. We made it clear to particular players that our evaluation will continue as we fill out our staff.."

We are now the poster boy for everything that is wrong in college sports and meanwhile Max Cummins just flipped UConn the middle finger.

I couldn't disagree with this more. First, this story will have played out totally by tonight. If you start fighting back, you just extend it.

Secondly, your first sentence of what you want said is wrong. The University is rescinding a promise of a scholarship. Just one made by Diaco. But in a non athletics context, the University can't fail to pay a contractor that did work for a project favored by the former provost, and not the current one. You want to fight a war that isn't winnable, because from the outside the system does look like it treats athletes incredibly unfairly.

Third and finally, if you make that kind of general statement, what do you do when Colin Mcenroe or whatever other schmuck says "So are you calling the Fitton parents liars?" You are setting yourself up for further questions you won't be able to answer and are pretending that you can control the dialogue when you can't.

Sometimes in life, you have to take injustices, smile and move on. This is one of those times.

Reaction Score
Tennessee did the same thing to CJ Lewis from Cheshire Academy. It was a kid from CT who got hosed by an SEC school. Tennessee offered, Lewis committed, then Tennessee had second thoughts and kept recruiting QBs. This wasn't a story because Lewis quickly committed to another P5 school. In some respects what Tennessee did was worse as the same coaches who made the offer and accepted the commit were the ones who pushed him out. The SEC also knows how to do this more proficiently. Right now Tennessee has 27 commits and continues to go after several players. There will be several other decommits prior to signing day.

Smoke Signals: With CJ Lewis decommitting, Tennessee officially has an opening at quarterback in 2017 class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom