Rutgers Scarlet Knights | The Boneyard

Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Offense

Schiano just could not leave the QB position alone. Natale dutifully waits his turn, and then Schiano dumps him for Savage. Savage struggles, because, surprise, he is a young QB, and Schiano dumps him for Chas Dodd, who doesn’t have half the arm of Savage and is a midget, but is fun to watch. Then Schiano decides to bail on Dodd for Nova. Who is the best QB? I think they all could be decent, but Rutgers has to just pick one and go with it. Rutgers could not have screwed the QB position up any worse than if Schiano was trying to deliberately sabotage the team.

I like Jamison at tailback, but I am not sure who will get the start. The team was young at TB last year, and I expect a big improvement year over year. For the first time since Ray Rice graduated, there is real talent at RB and Rutgers even has depth now. Sanu was one of the most dynamic players in the Big East, but Rutgers still has a ton of depth at WR and should be fine there. Coleman could be a star, and Harrison is very good. The offensive line struggled, but a lot of that can be blamed on freshmen RB’s and the mess at QB. There is lots of returning playing time on the 2 deep despite the loss of Forst and Wynn. I expect the line to look a lot better unless Schiano figures out a way to meddle with the offense from Tampa.

Defense

On paper, Rutgers defensive line looks like one of the best in the Big East, but it has underperformed the past two years. Manny Abreu, the greatest player to never actually play all that great, is gone. Larrow and Glaud are good ends, and Vallone and Holmes should be solid in the middle. The only thing lacking on the line is the one star that commands a double team. That means everyone has to do their job every down.

On paper, the linebackers look really, really good. Greene is tremendous, and Beuharnais rarely misses tackles. Merrell is a quality player too. The thing is, with as much blitzing as Rutgers does, why doesn’t this group have more sacks? And 3.8 ypc against is OK, nothing special, especially considering how good the DL is.

On paper, the secondary looks really good. Ryan and Jones are excellent corners, and the safeties are good too. There is depth at this position too.

Rutgers’ defensive stats were very good last year, 311 yards per game, 36 sacks, opposing passers were barely over 50%. This defense should be great though. There is not a single hole anywhere. This is a ball hawking defense that causes a lot of turnovers too. This defense should be one of the best in the country.

Schedule

Typical RU schedule, with a trip to Tulane followed up with a game against Howard (this can’t count for bowl eligibility, can it?). At Arkansas, then Kent State and Army at home later on. Arkansas will be a great test, and should show whether Rutgers is just OK, or prepared to be a player nationally. 4 BE road games, but the right ones for the most part. Temple and Pitt are on the road, and Rutgers should win both. Cincinnati and USF are also on the road, and those will be tough.

Conclusion

Greg Schiano did the hardest thing for a coach to do at any level. He turned around a terrible football program and made it competitive, and occasionally even good. There are so few examples of this, that they are easy to name. That said, he was a disaster on the sideline at time. His playcalling was predictable, even when he would take absurd risks, you kinda knew it was coming. He made a mess of the QB position, and the team has flat out underachieved each of the past 4 years.

I don’t know if Flood is the answer. He did a good job on D, but Schiano was always very hands on with defense, so its hard to know what was Flood and what was Schiano. The rest of the staff is underwhelming. A first time DC was a mistake with a team as talented as this one. I think the program will be better in the short term because Schiano was such a terrible game coach that Flood has to be an improvement. I don’t feel as sure about the intangibles. Schiano was a great recruiter and tremendous motivator. No matter how stupid Schiano’s decisions were, the team never gave up on a game. I don’t know if Flood can replicate that. This team is good, and will contend for a Big East title and give Arkansas a scare, but it is not good enough to pull off either.

Prediction: 9-3 (5-2)

Reaction Score
your analyses are so weird. you have openly stated that you ignore first year players, yet in this case you are willing to give MAJOR credit to a first year coaching staff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree he should have left Savage alone.

I think Howard does count towards bowl eligibility the MEAC funds 63 scholarships don't they?

Reaction Score
Kind of a head scratcher for me that we handled them so easily and so physcially last season. Especially given what was on the line for them.

Would love to beat them at their place this season.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the fact they promoted Flood instead of getting Cristobal, or an up-and-coming coordinator from another school, tells you a lot about the future of the program. They wanted Cristobal but couldn't pony up the cash due to their finances. Perhaps Flood will be a breath of fresh air and the players will respond to have a fairy-tale first season. But longer term, it's a question mark if their recruiting will plateau or decline, and what that means to overall success and support. Of course I'd love for them to prove me wrong and have RU and UConn battling it out for championships year-in, year-out in the Big East (and in ~10 years, the Big Ten).

Reaction Score
Here's hoping that the quarterback carousel spins as infinitum!:)

Reaction Score
Nova is more talent, but Dodd is more of a leader, Schiano created choas at the qb position that will affect this season. Flood has to pick a guy and stick with him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If they get even above average play out of QB, this could be a Top 15 team. The defense looks amazing on paper, although I never really thought of it as all that dominant when I watched them last year.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Kind of a head scratcher for me that we handled them so easily and so physcially last season. Especially given what was on the line for them.

Would love to beat them at their place this season.
I think the key last year was the fact that their team played 9 consecutive weeks without a bye coming in to our game - they were just physically tired. By the time they woke up it was too late. If you're curious, we have the same exact scenario this season, with Cincy playing us on the road after 9 straight weeks without a bye.

Reaction Score
Few corrections here.

1. Flood has been with the program a long long time, and he only served as co-OC and OL coach for one season. I believe that was the season where we did poorly, especially on offense, however, there were quite a few factors that led to such a poor season. ( I know I know, as usual a Rutgers fan looking for excuses).

2. GS had actually loosened his reigns on the Defense, and allowed his asst coach to take over.

3. Cristobal got cold feet! The issue was never about money. He did the same thing to sPITT. But I guess the whole issue all along was that they wanted Flood. Who knows. We're not the execs who do the hiring and the firing.

4. As per the coaching staff, some have experience. Brock is the old OC from Boston College. Wroblewski was going to plucked by a big time program anyway...etc...etc.

I think that this may be a different approach than what most people are used to seeing with RU football.

Reaction Score
Few corrections here.

1. Flood has been with the program a long long time, and he only served as co-OC and OL coach for one season. I believe that was the season where we did poorly, especially on offense, however, there were quite a few factors that led to such a poor season. ( I know I know, as usual a Rutgers fan looking for excuses).

2. GS had actually loosened his reigns on the Defense, and allowed his asst coach to take over.

3. Cristobal got cold feet! The issue was never about money. He did the same thing to sPITT. But I guess the whole issue all along was that they wanted Flood. Who knows. We're not the execs who do the hiring and the firing.

4. As per the coaching staff, some have experience. Brock is the old OC from Boston College. Wroblewski was going to plucked by a big time program anyway...etc...etc.

I think that this may be a different approach than what most people are used to seeing with RU football.

1. Regardless of how long Flood has been an assistant with Rutgers, this will still be his first year operating as a head coach.

2. Schaino was a control freak, period, he called the shots, ALWAYS, which is why there was so much turnover in his staff.

3. Floods hire was about the money Rutgers saved and the recruiting class retained by keeping a familiar face on board, it was not the best hire given the circumstances, if Schaino would have left after the signing period was over, Rutgers would have most likely had a different coach.

4. Flood will struggle at times, every first time coach does, Rutgers lost a lot when Schaino left with most of his staff, many of whom were great recruiters.

If Schaino was still the head coach, I'd give them more of a chance, Flood is unproven.

Reaction Score
Few corrections here.

That is the biggest pile of stinking, spinning crap I've ever heard. If that's what you want to believe.....all the power to you.

Reaction Score
Cristobal didn't come because of his wife, end of story. He was the first choice but when she didn't want to leave Florida he turned down Pitt last year and RU this year.

She's super hot, so power to him.

Reaction Score
Cristobal didn't come because of his wife, end of story. He was the first choice but when she didn't want to leave Florida he turned down Pitt last year and RU this year.

She's super hot, so power to him.

I heard that as one of the factors as well. But the notion that RU wanted Flood all along is a complete fallacy.

Reaction Score
Oh no, you're right. He was plan B all along, and it just so happens that it feels like it's working out well so far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Flood did a great job keeping the class together. No one has any idea if he'll be a successful head coach. He has the players to have a good season - and he can't be worse than Schiano on game day.

Schiano did a tremendous job getting them from laughable to above average. It's in the league's interest to have a credible team in New Jersey. It's in UConn's interest to have a good rival. Win win if Flood is good.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Oh no, you're right. He was plan B all along, and it just so happens that it feels like it's working out well so far.
Very true, RU is undefeated with him as HC.

Reaction Score
You don't want to be the guy that follows Greg Schiano, you want to be the guy after that guy.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
Few corrections here.

Some corrections to your corrections...

These were Flood's Duties Since coming to RU in 2005:
2012: Head Coach, Rutgers
2011: Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line, Rutgers
2009-10: Assistant Head Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line, Rutgers
2008-09: Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line, Rutgers
2007: Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator, Rutgers
2005-06: Offensive Line, Rutgers

So he was OL coach from 2005-2011 (7 seasons) and assistant head coach from 2008-2011 (4 seasons)... He was OC in 2009-2010 (2yrs), in NAME only... Kirk Ciarraco (sp) was our OC for those 2 seasons and ran the offense into the ground both seasons (we only got 9 wins in 2009 due to the defense)... Flood was ONLY named co-OC in order to get him more money to keep him around... Flood was pretty much Schiano's 2nd in command for the past 4yrs... He knows the ins and outs of the program, what works and what doesn't, and the philosophies and principles that make up the program (something that will not change under the new coaching staff)...

The only things Flood was responsible for on offense were the OL and in some years the run game... In 2009 we switched from pro-style to spread offense even though we didn't have the OL for the spread (not quick enough)... our run game fell apart those 2 years because of the different scheme... Thankfully we are back on track and our run game should be solid this year... for the first time since 2008...

Our current DC is Robb Smith... Greg Schiano's protege on the defensive side. He has been at Rutgers from 2009-2011 (3 seasons)

Here is Robb Smith's relevant coaching history:
2012 – Rutgers (Defensive
Coordinator/Secondary)
2011 – Rutgers (Special Teams
Coordinator/Linebackers)
2010 – Rutgers (Special Teams
Coordinator/Cornerbacks)
2009 – Rutgers (Special Teams
Coordinator/Outside linebackers)
2006-08 – Maine (Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator)

As Maine's DC, Smith accomplished the following:
Under Smith, Maine was ranked in the top third nationally in the Football Championship Subdivision in total defense in each of his three seasons as defensive coordinator. Smith earned the promotion to assistant head coach after leading one of the finest defenses in the nation in 2006. In his first season as the defensive coordinator, the "Black Hole" defense ranked among the top five nationally in several categories, including: rush defense (first), total defense (second), sacks (third), scoring defense (fourth) and tackles for loss (fifth).

Smith was also responsible for many defensive adjustments and schemes from the 2011 Rutgers defense that ranked #14 in the FBS in total defense with top 5 and top 10 rankings for numerous defensive stats... Like Schiano, Smith specializes in speed/pressure defense... The defensive schemes from 2011 won't be changing for 2012...

You are PARTIALLY right... Christobal got cold feet due to his wife's objections of leaving her Florida, high society connections... HOWEVER the MAJOR sticking point was NOT this... The MAJOR sticking point was that Christobal REFUSED to sign a $2mill buyout clause... This was the same reason why he declined the Pitt job... It is well known that Christobal will leave as soon as he can secure a legitimate CFB head coaching job at 1 of the Florida schools... Be that UCF, USF, Miami, FSU or Florida... Christobal knew this to which is why he refused to sign a high buyout clause...

The list was really Christobal as choice A and Flood as choice B... Adazio was thrown out within the 1st couple of days due to his poor relations with NJ HS coaches...

BTW part of the deal with Christobal was that he had to retain a significant number of RU coaching staff and needed to make Flood his assistant head coach... Christobal agreed to these conditions... Not that the coaching staff retention mattered much in the end... 2 left for jobs with the Rams and Ravens and the rest (other then Flood and Smith) left with Schiano to coach in Tampa Bay (since Schiano couldn't get many NFL coaches to work for him)... Who knew that every single one of RU's coaching staff last year was an NFL caliber coach... :eek: :confused:

So far the Flood hire is looking REALLY good!!! We'll truly only know his worth as a coach after this season... So far his recruiting, communication/media skills, handling of general HC duties, handling of PR, handling of players, coaching of players and all other off-the-field stuff is TOP NOTCH!!! The ONLY question mark is a big one... gameday coaching... and that will only be answered by season end...

FYI the last Rutgers FB coach that was an in house hire was Frank Burns (RIP, died less then 1 month ago :( )... Rutgers FB's winningest coach... including 8 straight winning seasons from 1973-1980 with 2, 9 win seasons and 1, 11 win undefeated season (we only went to a bowl once during that time - during 1 of the 9 win seasons in 1978)...

coach-burns.jpg

Frank R. Burns
Years: 1973-1983
Record: 78-43-1 (0.644)

Also our current coaching staff is MUCH more experienced then any coaching staff in the Schiano era (11yrs)... Schiano liked to surround himself with relative neophytes and yes men (yes I know that speaks poorly of Kyle Flood and Robb Smith... kind off)... Flood on the other hand wants to surround himself with experience and differing opinions... Here is a brief break down of our coaching staff experience...

Coach Experience

HC Kyle Flood - OLs, Assistant HC
QBs Rob Spence - WRs, QBs, OC, Assistant HC,
RBs Norrries Wilson - WRs, TEs, OLs, OC, HC at Columbia, NFL Experience
OC/WRs Dave Brock - DBs, RBs, WRs, TEs, QBs, OC, Assistant HC
TEs Darnell Dinkins - TEs, NFL Experience - also won superbowl superbowl XLIII at TE
OLs Damien Wroblewski - OLs, OC, Assistant HC
DLs Jim Panagos - DLs, STs, NFL Experience
LBs Dave Cohen - LBs, DLs, DC, HC at Hofstra
DC/DBs Robb Smith - DBs, LBs, DC, Assistant HC

STs/DA Joe Rossi - STs, DC
DA Anthony Campanile - LBs, OC - former RU player
DA Tom McEntire - DBs, RBs, WRs
OA Devin Fitzsimmons - TEs, NFL Experience
OA Darnell Stapleton - NFL Experience - also won superbowl XLIII at starting RG - former RU player

Frequency
HCs: 2
Assistant HCs: 5
OCs: 5
DCs: 3
STs: 2
QBs: 2
WRs: 4
RBs: 2
TEs: 4
OLs: 3
DLs: 2
LBs: 3
DBs: 3
NFL EXP: 5

That's a LOT of overlapping experience...

I am NOT worried about our coaching staff... They are fully qualified and capable of coaching up our players... Then only thing that worries me are in-game adjustments and gameday coaching, though many of them have experience with this at prior coaching jobs...

Also for the first time at LEAST in the last 6yrs we have a fully dedicated QB coach... that should help out our QBs as well... :)

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
Here is a nice preview of Rutgers this season that is fairly accurate...
http://www.presnapread.com/no-29-rutgers/

Here are a few excerpts:

... LAST YEAR’S PREDICTION
Here’s the logic of putting Rutgers at this spot: I think the Scarlet Knights are at the bottom of the Big East; I think the roster is dangerously thin at several key spots; and I think this non-conference schedule is tougher than it has been in years, far tougher than it was a season ago. But while the potential is there for a better finish — perhaps as much as seven wins — an objective observer can’t sit here today and look at Rutgers and make that prediction. Who knows? Schiano’s guys always played their best when overlooked and underestimated, so perhaps being discounted is all the Scarlet Knights need to return to their 2006-9 form.

2011 RECAP
In a nutshell Was Rutgers the best team in the Big East? No, not really. But consider where most thought the Scarlet Knights would fall back in August — fighting for a bowl berth — and see where the Scarlet Knights stood come January: 9-4, 4-3 in Big East play, and with three of those four losses coming by a combined 15 points. Greg Schiano might have left without a conference title, as most pointed out upon his departure, but he also left with one of the most satisfying seasons of his entire tenure. Not that things went perfectly for the Scarlet Knights, who remained a weak running team, again shuffled quarterbacks and relied far too heavily on one skill player to carry the offense. Credit the defense with taking a nice step forward after a disappointing 2010 season; Rutgers led the Big East in total and scoring defense...

... High point A 20-3 win over Cincinnati on Nov. 19. Rutgers would beat two 10-win teams on the year, with that victory joining a 38-26 win over Ohio in September. Topping the Bearcats also left Rutgers with a slight chance at winning the Big East, should a few conference foes have lost on the final Saturday of the regular season.
Low point The Scarlet Knights would drop their season finale against Connecticut, 40-22, to kill any shot the team had of earning an Orange Bowl berth. That loss doubles as Rutgers’ worst of the season; losses to North Carolina, Louisville and West Virginia came by a combined total of 15 points.

Tidbit Last season’s five-win jump nearly pushed Rutgers from the bottom of the Big East two seasons ago into at least a share of the conference title, which would have been a first in the league’s history. It also marked the fourth time in 14 years that the program has made at least a four-game jump in the win column: Rutgers went from 0-11 to 5-6 from 1997-8, from 1-11 to 5-7 from 2002-3, from 7-5 to 11-2 from 2005-6 and from 4-8 to 9-4 from 2010-11.

Tidbit (magic number edition) Whether this stands under Flood is one thing, but Rutgers had a magic number under Schiano: 300. That’s in terms of total yards allowed per game, something this defense was able to do 44 times over Schiano’s 11 years with the program. Rutgers’ record in such games was 39-5, including a 4-1 mark a season ago; the Scarlet Knights were 4-0 when holding opponents to under 300 yards prior to the regular season finale against Connecticut, but dropped a 40-22 decision despite limiting the Huskies to 290 yards of total offense – six turnovers doomed Rutgers’ fate.

Tidbit (10-win edition) As noted, Rutgers beat a pair of 10-win teams last fall – Ohio and Cincinnati. It was one of two Big East teams to do so, joining West Virginia, which beat Cincinnati and Clemson, and the only team to do so during the regular season.

Tidbit (coaching edition) Most of Schiano’s former assistants are now spread all over the map, whether still on the college level or in the N.F.L., leaving only two still at Rutgers: Flood, of course, and new defensive coordinator Robb Smith, who spent the last three seasons as the Scarlet Knights’ special teams coordinator, linebackers coach and secondary coach. Every other assistant on Flood’s staff is new – new to Rutgers, at least. Three have worked alongside Flood in the past: offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Dave Brock, the former Boston College assistant, was Hofstra’s coordinator from 2000-2; linebackers coach Dave Cohen, once Hofstra’s head coach, was the defensive coordinator at Delaware from 2002-5; and quarterbacks coach Rob Spence, the former coordinator at Toledo, Clemson and Syracuse, was in charge of Hofstra’s offense from 1997-99.

Rutgers’ special teams coordinator will be Joe Rossi, who spent the last five seasons at Maine – the defensive coordinator from 2009-11, Rossi led the Black Bears’ special teams from 2007-8. Running backs coach Norris Wilson is no stranger to the Big East: last at Columbia, where he was the head coach from 2006-11, Wilson spent previously spent four seasons as Connecticut’s offensive coordinator. Offensive line coach Damian Wroblewski held the same position at Delaware from 2007-11. The tight ends coach is eight-year N.F.L. veteran Darnell Dinkins, who takes on his first full-time coaching position after spending last season as an offensive assistant with the Buccaneers. And finally, the new defensive line coach is former U.C.F. assistant Jim Panagos, who is a good one – a really, really good position coach...

... losing Mohamed Sanu deals a cruel blow to Rutgers’ passing game – he did make 115 grabs last fall, the most in school history and a total that accounted for 44.9 percent of the Scarlet Knights’ combined receptions as a team. That hurts, but Rutgers can still improve in several areas, with or without Sanu. One is on third down: Sanu made more than twice as many grabs on first down, 53, as he made first-down making grabs on third down, 25. Being overly reliant on Sanu obviously helped in the red zone, but it also bogged down Rutgers’ passing game at times; Sanu was many, many things, but he was not a receiver who was going to stretch the field with regularity.

On the other hand, the starting pairing of senior Mark Harrison (14 receptions for 274 yards, 19.6 yards per reception) and sophomore Brandon Coleman (17 for 552, 32.5 yards per reception) is the most dynamic in the Big East. While it’s not logical to expect both to continue breaking loose in the secondary – even if Harrison has done so for two years running – without Sanu demanding attention in the intermediate game, Harrison and Coleman give Rutgers another look out wide; safeties and cornerbacks will need to play off, which should help the Scarlet Knights find more running room inside the box.

Look for Harrison to have a nice bounce-back season after being slowed by injuries a season ago. Junior Quron Pratt (32 for 327) earned significant playing time in Harrison’s stead, likely sewing up a role as Rutgers’ third receiver. The Scarlet Knights also have senior Tim Wright (11 for 147), junior Jeremy Deering (169 yards rushing) and true freshman Leonte Carroo, the latter one of four incoming freshmen pegged to start their careers at receiver. Another player to watch is senior tight end D.C. Jefferson (12 for 118), a converted quarterback who seems close to breaking into the all-conference conversation....

... I look at this defense, look at the rest of the Big East, look back at this defense, and wonder how any team in this league plans on moving the ball against the Scarlet Knights. Forget about this offense, though I do believe that there’s ample reason to believe that Rutgers is going to find greater success moving the football than it did a season ago; it’s all about one of the best defenses in college football, one that should dominate at each level – up front, at linebacker and, most of all, in the secondary. You’ll see what this group is made of on Sept. 22, when Rutgers travels to Fayetteville to take on Arkansas’ potent, high-flying offensive attack. Yes, it’s this defense that will carry Rutgers to the top of the Big East...

... If Hamilton lives up to his billing – and it’s some high billing – he’ll join senior Ka’Lial Glaud (20 tackles, 4.0 for loss) as the Scarlet Knights’ two starting ends. And as a result, Rutgers could probably continue moving forward with a plan to use Larrow inside, which only increases the line’s overall depth. Between Glaud, Harrison, Thompson and senior Marvin Booker – though Booker can’t seem to stay healthy – Rutgers has a very nice quartet of ends at its disposal. This line is going to be very good.

But not as good as Rutgers’ linebackers. All three starters return: Jamal Merrell (44 tackles, 3.0 for loss) on the strong side, Steve Beauharnais (77 tackles, 16.0 for loss, 5.0 sacks, 3 interceptions) in the middle and Khaseem Greene (141 tackles, 14.0 for loss, 3.5 sacks) on the weak side, with the latter destined for all-American honors in his final season. Greene deserved more national love last fall, when he was named the Big East’s co-Defensive Player of the Year; he opted to return to Rutgers for another season, giving the Scarlet Knights one final go-round with one of the nation’s best outside linebackers.

The linebacker corps will be even better if sophomore Kevin Snyder (4o tackles) unseats Merrell on the strong side – not because Snyder is necessarily a better player, but it would show just how talented this group is if one of its incumbents can be shoved out of the starting lineup. One reason why Merrell will likely remain the starter is because of Snyder’s value as a reserve: he can play all three positions, and did a nice job filling in for Greene on the weak side during the spring. While the Scarlet Knights signed a major linebacker recruit in New Jersey product Quanzell Lambert – he chose Rutgers over offers from every power you can imagine – it’s going to be hard for the rookie to break into the rotation. The Scarlet Knights are great at linebacker.

But not as great as they are in the secondary. Just ask Cincinnati, or Pittsburgh, or Syracuse, or Iowa State, or Connecticut; just ask any team that went toe-to-toe with this secondary and lost, and the graveyard is littered with quarterbacks and receivers who tested themselves against Rutgers’ secondary and came up wanting. For all its strength up front, for all that the Scarlet Knights can do at linebacker, it’s the secondary that sets the tone for this defense – unlike other great defenses, Rutgers’ ability to stop the pass allows it to devote weapons to slowing down the run.

The only cog in last year’s two-deep that must be replaced is free safety David Rowe, a 13-game starter. The Scarlet Knights are looking at two options as his replacement, senior Wayne Warren (28 tackles, 1 interception) and sophomore Lorenzo Waters, with Waters holding a slight edge heading into the heart of fall camp. Nothing will change elsewhere: Brandon Jones (39 tackles, 2 interceptions) and Logan Ryan (67 tackles, 3 interceptions) return at cornerback, with Ryan an all-conference pick, and first-team all-Big East pick Duron Harmon (49 tackles, 5 interceptions) is back at strong safety. Rutgers also bring back Mason Robinson, who missed last season with a knee injury, adding more depth at cornerback...

... Quarterback There are more than a few teams – I can think of one or two just in the Big East – that wouldn’t mind being in Rutgers’ shoes, even if the program’s continued back-and-forth routine at quarterback needs to be addressed before the Scarlet Knights open the season at Tulane. This isn’t new: Gary Nova, a sophomore, stands in one corner, with junior Chas Dodd in the other, and Flood has remained adamant about the fact that he won’t christen his starter – his full-time starter, you’d hope – until a week before the team heads off to New Orleans. Until he makes the call, you’re left nitpicking over what each does well, where each has his shortcomings, where each stands above the other, and what each must do in August to become part of this program’s future at the position.

But the Scarlet Knights can take a sizable degree of solace in the fact that they have two solid starting quarterbacks. Connecticut has none, not until Chandler Whitmer proves himself in September. Pittsburgh would love to have a solid option to push Tino Sunseri. Temple has quarterbacks, but none who can pass. Cincinnati is crossing its fingers that Munchie Legaux can deliver. Rutgers has Dodd and Nova, and the loser of this competition remains a proven option who can deliver if called upon. That’s a positive...

... Don’t sleep on this one fact: Rutgers is entering its second season running the pro-style offense former coordinator Frank Cignetti brought with him from Pittsburgh. That’s going to help in many areas, including at quarterback, but nowhere more so than along the offensive line – an underachieving group that once again failed to mount a significant push in the running game. A year later, the Scarlet Knights look to become more physical at the point of attack while rebuilding at all three interior spots. The importance of a more consistent effort between the tackles cannot be overestimated: Rutgers needs a reliable run game to not only move the chains but also to set up play-action, and when the Scarlet Knights can push the ball down field this offense can be as dangerous as any in this West Virginia-free Big East...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom