Rutgers losing up to 5 assistant coaches to T-Bay Bucs?? | The Boneyard

Rutgers losing up to 5 assistant coaches to T-Bay Bucs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's always a tradeoff in this scenario. On one hand, you want to keep the class together, but on the other hand I'd imagine something like this will lead to a couple of very bitter recruits.

Reaction Score
It's always a tradeoff in this scenario. On one hand, you want to keep the class together, but on the other hand I'd imagine something like this will lead to a couple of very bitter recruits.

I'm sure there will be a few who will feel manipulated by the staff. Feel sorry for those who took the coaches at their words. Who knows when this was contrived, but seems pretty curious to have it leaking out just 2 short days after national signing day! I guess RU can put away the cd..."We Are Family"!

Reaction Score
An NFL staff with mostly college coaches? If true Buc fans might as well find a new team to root for, for the next few years, until Shady gets fired.

I believe Shady could sign up the NJ Attorney General to sell Amway. Shady certainly sold the Buc's ownership on hinself.

As for the recruits.....it's on them to have known this might happen.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Why feel sorry for them? They should have been prepared for something like this and had an opportunity to play college ball elsewhere before signing day.

Sucks for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

Even more hurtful than a few very bitter recruits is many very bitter HS coaches. The whole reason to keep Flood and the staff together was because of the connections they have with all of the key NJ HS coaches. If they truly did mislead all of the recruits, parents, and HS coaches about the staff...they may have saved this year's class...but it will have very real and significant consequences to their ability to recruit future classes. I hope that is the case, because UConn will be one the huge beneficiaries of such a backlash if true.

Reaction Score
Why feel sorry for them? They should have been prepared for something like this and had an opportunity to play college ball elsewhere before signing day.

Sucks for them!

You and Sportsart are correct.....that they should have known it was possible. However, if they asked the assistant coaches if they were staying and were told YES, then that is a whole 'nother story! Schiano mentioned he wanted to bring some of his assistants from RU in his press conference last Friday, though he didn't name names. So when did the assistants involved know?

I believe they were of the mindset that if a current assistant, like Flood, was appointed, that the other assistants would stay on. If they assumed that without asking directly, then shame on them!

Reaction Score
WOW... What a set up.... smh... Edsall didn't handle his situation with us too well, but at least he gave us time to find somebody else a month BEFORE signing day... Wow... smh

I think it's a shame to play kids like that though... You guys gotta remember although these kids are physically there... mentally they're immature... Decisions about the beginning of the rest of their lives are HUGE at this stage... HUGE... The RU staff jobbed them.. they played them so bad... Got them to commit .. They couldn't have been completely honest with them to pull that mess... no way.... I know business is business and everyone's looking out for their own personal well being but you gotta be up front with kids as best as possible...

RU better show well on the field this season... If not their up ts creek... With all the funding that goes to their athletic program ( causing the academic side to lack )...

Reaction Score
The Flood hire has so many negatives. A lifelong assistant just doesn't have the gravitas to hold existing coaches nor bring in quality assistants.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but in a situation where the head coach leaves a team you have to use better judgment as a recruit. With no head coach, how can you feel that it is a good idea to still consider going to that school? The assistants can say whatever they want because at the end of the day, they work for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but in a situation where the head coach leaves a team you have to use better judgment as a recruit. With no head coach, how can you feel that it is a good idea to still consider going to that school? The assistants can say whatever they want because at the end of the day, they work for Rutgers.

If it were me or you J, or any reasonable adult for that matter, I think we would realize that and move on. Just way too much uncertainty in that situation. These are just kids however... kids who had put their faith in the coaches at their future school. It's a bitter life experience for them to be sure. It does make you wonder though...where were the adults in their lives to help counsel them on this??

Reaction Score
Eh, if you buy the snake oil sooner or later you'll get burned.

If this is true, then shame on RU. Because the Flood hire, as dumb as it was, was all about landing Hamilton and keeping the recruiting class in tact. I don't want to hear from RU folks about how these kids committed to the school and not the coaches. If that's the case, then why rush a horrible hire in less than 1 week?

Reaction Score
Just because they have an adult to "guide" them doesn't mean that that person has any more knowledge about the college coaching world than the athlete does. Many people in many different walks of life get sold a bill of goods daily, some have a more keen sense for what may come and decide to go another direction, but there are far too many scam artists preying on people. There are many people who believe that the word of another person is still something that you can trust and rely on.

These types of scenarios play out in College athletics every year and the powers that be refuse to allow the system to change in a way that would allow the SA to move on as well with no repercussions as long as they have not enrolled at the school.

Reaction Score

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
If it were me or you J, or any reasonable adult for that matter, I think we would realize that and move on. Just way too much uncertainty in that situation. These are just kids however... kids who had put their faith in the coaches at their future school. It's a bitter life experience for them to be sure. It does make you wonder though...where were the adults in their lives to help counsel them on this??

Good point

Reaction Score
Rumors are flying that RU may lose up to 5 of their assistant coaches, including two key names, Jeff Hafley and Frank Cignetti. This could be huge for UConn's recruiting in the Garden State!

i guess this should be expected since RU basically promoted someone beneath them to be HC. my curiosity is which came first? did Cignetti and company decide to follow Schiano b/c they were passed over in favor of Flood, or did RU realize all of these guys were leaving so they defaulted to the most senior assistant, Flood.

Reaction Score
This will truely hurt them in NJ...especially if Hafley follows Schiano. After the career Mike Teel had at Rutgers, Schiano had a hard time recruiting Don Bosco and Bergen Catholic until he hired Hafley last year. Keith Hamilton said that Hafley was lead recruiter and one of the main reasons his son chose to stay home and go to Rutgers. This is not good for Rutgers right now.

Reaction Score
The more I think about this the more I wonder about its truth. Hafley being brought to the NFL negates the one thing he is good at - recruiting. For crying out loud, RU brought him on board last year without a position. They hired him for recruiting purposes. Only when the DB coach position became available did they slot him there. To the best of my knowledge, he never coached DB's before. This makes no sense.

Then again, neither did the Bucs hiring Shady in the first place. So who knows?

Reaction Score
The more I think about this the more I wonder about its truth. Hafley being brought to the NFL negates the one thing he is good at - recruiting. For crying out loud, RU brought him on board last year without a position. They hired him for recruiting purposes. Only when the DB coach position became available did they slot him there. To the best of my knowledge, he never coached DB's before. This makes no sense.

Then again, neither did the Bucs hiring Shady in the first place. So who knows?
Jimmy Hafley coached d-backs at Pitt under Wanny

Reaction Score
Rutgers doesn't have money to get into a bidding war with an NFL team, too bad so sad.
I don't think you know the Glazers... I think all of their money is sunk into Man U. as a Bucs fan I am gearing up to a very dismal next few years.

Reaction Score
It does make you wonder though...where were the adults in their lives to help counsel them on this??

I agree. They needed a Mom like Justin down in Louisiana.

Reaction Score
Looks like Schiano couldn't get experienced NFL assistants to work for him, so he poached those he knew. Gonna be a recipe for disaster in the NFL with few experienced assistants. Can't fault a coach for heading to the NFL, even if its short term. Their resumes will look even better when they're back in college in a few years (or less). Word is Flood has pretty good assistants lined up with NJ connections.

Reaction Score
Looks like Schiano couldn't get experienced NFL assistants to work for him, so he poached those he knew. Gonna be a recipe for disaster in the NFL with few experienced assistants. Can't fault a coach for heading to the NFL, even if its short term. Their resumes will look even better when they're back in college in a few years (or less). Word is Flood has pretty good assistants lined up with NJ connections.

I guess he couldn't. Is this for real...taking up to 5 of your guys? Man that sucks for you guys...even more so for the recruits coming in. Hopefully, for your sake, not ours of course..lol, Flood has some good guys lined up. Just seems like the whole reason Pernetti went with Flood...and quickly...was to save the class. He did that...but seems to have lost everything else in the process.

Hefley will be a big loss if this happens. He had the Don Bosco connection as well as with a lot of coaches in Bergen County. As for Schiano...it's one thing to reach for the stars yourself, but to rip out the whole launching pad as you're leaving...that's another story! Talk about a good way to destroy your reputation very quickly. Geez!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom