Rutgers loses Two Asst Coaches | The Boneyard

Rutgers loses Two Asst Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting.

It would seem like both are lateral moves rather than moves up the ladder.

Was it more money I wonder?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought Tia Jackson sounded familiar. She is a former Duke assistant.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It also could be different responsibilities. I know at UCONN, generally, Shea works with the guards and Marissa the post players, but CD also does some work with the post players and of course Geno coaches them all. But as far as recruiting and other duties, it's possible they may have more interesting responsibilities at the new school. Also, UGA just promoted associate HC Joni Crenshaw so it's possible that if the position is not "filled" from within, Chelsea could be slotted as the AHC. Either way, it's a bummer for Rutgers, but an opportunity for Newton and Jackson...

Reactions: HGN

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It also could be different responsibilities. I know at UCONN, generally, Shea works with the guards and Marissa the post players, but CD also does some work with the post players and of course Geno coaches them all. But as far as recruiting and other duties, it's possible they may have more interesting responsibilities at the new school. Also, UGA just promoted associate HC Joni Crenshaw so it's possible that if the position is not "filled" from within, Chelsea could be slotted as the AHC. Either way, it's a bummer for Rutgers, but an opportunity for Newton and Jackson...

At least in Jackson's case... you trade living in North NJ for living in Miami :cool:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
At least in Jackson's case... you trade living in North NJ for living in Miami :cool:

I'm biased because I'm from Jersey, but I really don't care for Miami. Everyone moves at half speed down there. I'd last about a week, 2 weeks, tops. ;)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Carleen Mitchell might be welcomed back. I am sure the good folks at UCSB would chip in for her airfare.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I would imagine working for C. Vivian is not a lot of fun
You and I might or might not want to, but both Tia and Chelsea are former players.

I would expect that, as Coach Stringer's career winds down, both recognized that they needed to consider other opportunities. For Chelsea to hope for a head coaching job someday, she absolutely needed to go somewhere else, as Rutgers is the only place she has worked. For Tia, I always felt that she was not at Rutgers for the long haul, as I suspect she would also want to return to try the head coaching ranks again (she was notably not successful as a HC at Washington).

As to the person threatening the return of Carlene Mitchell, well she might be welcome back indeed, but that would not be my choice. As has been noted elsewhere, it is at that point where Vivian needs to begin grooming someone to potentially be her successor.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tia probably got a raise to go to Miami where there's no State Income Tax. Probably comes out ahead financially. Not sure which is the better basketball program, probably its Rutgers.

I'm biased because I'm from Jersey, but I really don't care for Miami. Everyone moves at half speed down there. I'd last about a week, 2 weeks, tops. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't know their coaching ability since I am not a Rutgers insider but I do know that bother are great ladies to deal with, are very good (tireless!) recruiters especially coach Tia, are well liked by players and contribute in a big way to a great team culture.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As opposed to SC where as far as I can see they don't move at all!!!:cool:

Setback for Rutgers as this seemed like an interesting 'team' of coaches - more innovation in the last few years in the offensive flow than in a number of years previously.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
New Jersey, second best place in US to be from.
Yes - as in your left there years ago! Proud to have been born there, but even happier to have left, and made a career elsewhere.' should be the Jersey state motto! :rolleyes::eek::)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Setback for Rutgers as this seemed like an interesting 'team' of coaches - more innovation in the last few years in the offensive flow than in a number of years previously.
I didn't say people did move fast in SC, but they move faster than in South Florida. Besides, the comparison was with New Jersey.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I wouldn't credit the RU offense to anyone other than Vivian. They may have encouraged her (or not) but I'm pretty sure Vivian's coaching staff is not a democracy. OTH, Chelsea appeared to do a lot of the scouting / game planning, especially in some of the important games that RU did win, so in that regard she will be missed.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
C Viv is likely going to retire in another year or two, so they may have seen that they weren't likely to replace her at Rutgers and jumped on these other offers. Hopefully, the riches of the Big 10 will allow RU to improve their basketball facilities.

Reaction Score
Tia probably got a raise to go to Miami where there's no State Income Tax. Probably comes out ahead financially. Not sure which is the better basketball program, probably its Rutgers.

Didn't Miami beat Notre Dame last year?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Didn't Miami beat Notre Dame last year?
Yes, but they went 8-8 in the ACC, otherwise losing to the good teams and likewise being upset by one of the dreadful teams.

As an over-all program, it has a bit less history than Rutgers, but has had, under Katie Meier, fluctuation between very good and very not good. It may be that their interest in Coach Jackson was for recruiting purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom