Rutgers competative struggle in the B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers competative struggle in the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A Rutgers fan knocking anybody's record is pretty laughable when you consider that Rutgers actually went 25 years without a winning season.

Reaction Score
Nor was the ACC, and they pretty much stunk there too.

Maryland won more ACC football titles than any school not named FSU and Clemson. It was no Ohio State or Bama, but several ACC schools had football programs less successful than UMD's. I guess the internet's fact check feature is down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maryland won more ACC football titles than any school not named FSU and Clemson. It was no Ohio State or Bama, but several ACC schools had football programs less successful than UMD's. I guess the internet's fact check feature is down.

In this century, they won 1 in 2001. Virginia Tech has 4. The last one before that was 1985. Stinks may have been too strong, but they aren't a football power by any measure.

Reaction Score
Rutgers went 12 years without a winning season..from 1993-2004

Reaction Score
I don't want to get into this because I love the Rutgers / Uconn hate.
Hate is a good thing in college football.
Nobody hates like Northeasterners
I'm calling a truce.
Just take a break for awhile

Has any one heard from my favorite Rutgers fan
Nicky Newark ?

Okay everyone could resume flaming now.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't want to get into this because I love the Rutgers / Uconn hate.
Hate is a good thing in college football.
Nobody hates like Northeasterners
I'm calling a truce.
Just take a break for awhile

Has any one heard from my favorite Rutgers fan
Nicky Newark ?

Okay everyone could resume flaming now.

Rutgers is biting off more than they can chew right now. They are trying to take on Michigan for signing so many highly rated kids from NJ this last recruiting cycle. This is how they a are doing it:
636009901193562506-IMG-0145.JPG

The Rutgers Secret Society put this on Paramous Catholic's field the night before Michigan's satellite camp there. It told Harbaugh to go home. They are declaring war on Michigan. I hope they bring it much better than this in the future.

Reaction Score
Actually. It didn't tell Harbaugh to go home. It told him to sit on something and rotate. Big difference.

Reaction Score
Some sports do not register....particularly Olympic sports......for example...does anyone really care that UNC won the men's and the women's Lax this year or that UNC has won 21 National Championships in Women's Soccer?

If it isn't football or men's basketball, it falls way back on the register.

Just because football and basketball make the lion's share of the money, it doesn't mean that there is zero interest for other sports outside of the Florida Pan Handle or hills of North Carolina. While you may only care about football and baseball, I'm not clear how with nearly 2500 posts on this board it hasn't occurred to you that people living predominantly in The Northeast have varied interests from yours. I attended the Women's Lax Final Four, and despite my team losing, enjoyed the experience greatly. I caught the Men's Final on TV and enjoyed that as well. Enjoy what you want, but don't assume everyone shares your opinion. Especially on this board.

Reaction Score
Just because football and basketball make the lion's share of the money, it doesn't mean that there is zero interest for other sports outside of the Florida Pan Handle or hills of North Carolina. While you may only care about football and baseball, I'm not clear how with nearly 2500 posts on this board it hasn't occurred to you that people living predominantly in The Northeast have varied interests from yours. I attended the Women's Lax Final Four, and despite my team losing, enjoyed the experience greatly. I caught the Men's Final on TV and enjoyed that as well. Enjoy what you want, but don't assume everyone shares your opinion. Especially on this board.

I agree...North Carolina folks love soccer (as I stated their women's team is to soccer what UConn's Women's team is to basketball). And Boston folks love their hockey. I am a beach volleyball fan (although many games are not yet streamed).

I also watched the men's final in LAX...as I have previously posted, I enjoyed that match immensely...a stupendous finish.

But yes, we southerners love our football.

Now...since you emphatically state that people in the northeast have interests different from mine, I also find it somewhat interesting that northeastern folks sometimes rail against those people from another region who have different interests and thus may not be as appreciative of some programs. That rail goes in two directions.

We all have other sports interests. But, again as I stated, those interests do, absolutely fall way back on the register to football and basketball...whether that gets your knickers in a wad or not. That is just a statement of fact and not judgmental at all

Reaction Score
Sports interests change over time (and I am admittedly old school).

I see that UConn is opening with the FSU Women at FSU. Interest has been building in the south in women's basketball and the fans are excited about this game...like having Bama come to play football.

FSU isn't in UConn's league, but has built a top ten team and the following has been growing.

Women's soccer is also supported in the ACC and has a growing interest. Lacrosse is a major ACC interest...but not yet a varsity sport in some venues, like Tallahassee.

I do think that our sports interests are changing and do change over a longish period. My father was a member of the greatest generation and they loved MLB....the work world listened in on every World Series game, kept up with the conference races....

Baseball is who we were. Football is who we have become.

And maybe..someday we will evolve to be a soccer nation..or lacrosse, or something else.

Reaction Score
I agree...North Carolina folks love soccer (as I stated their women's team is to soccer what UConn's Women's team is to basketball). And Boston folks love their hockey. I am a beach volleyball fan (although many games are not yet streamed).

I also watched the men's final in LAX...as I have previously posted, I enjoyed that match immensely...a stupendous finish.

But yes, we southerners love our football.

Now...since you emphatically state that people in the northeast have interests different from mine, I also find it somewhat interesting that northeastern folks sometimes rail against those people from another region who have different interests and thus may not be as appreciative of some programs. That rail goes in two directions.

We all have other sports interests. But, again as I stated, those interests do, absolutely fall way back on the register to football and basketball...whether that gets your knickers in a wad or not. That is just a statement of fact and not judgmental at all

for example...does anyone really care that UNC won the men's and the women's Lax this year or that UNC has won 21 National Championships in Women's Soccer?

This is a statement of fact and not judgmental at all? Hmm.

Reaction Score
On a national scale...I'd say that was a fact.

On a national scale, I'd say that most sports fans don't even know that UNC won those two NC's.

Folks know who won the football NC and basketball NC.

In some regions some folks may know who was the LAX champs...my bets are that many on this board did not....

And talking sports dynasties...who is going to jump in with the women's soccer run by North Carolina? A few, grant you.

It is just a fact that the olympic sports have interest, but an interest that is specialized at this point and time....a niche market of sorts.

Reaction Score
In this century, they won 1 in 2001. Virginia Tech has 4. The last one before that was 1985. Stinks may have been too strong, but they aren't a football power by any measure.

I think this is an accurate statement. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say MD is a football power. I just happen to think there's value in being good at all sorts of sports and took issue with the author of the blog post discounting its overall athletic success because it isn't a football power.

It's the same sort of thing UCONN faces w/r/t realignment. The school is clearly a valuable sports property in a valuable market and should be P5, but it's not a football power so ppl disregard the rest of your athletic accomplishments.

On the other hand, it's a B1G blogger from a football-crazed school and state, so there is that.

Reaction Score
On a national scale...I'd say that was a fact.

On a national scale, I'd say that most sports fans don't even know that UNC won those two NC's.

Folks know who won the football NC and basketball NC.

In some regions some folks may know who was the LAX champs...my bets are that many on this board did not....

And talking sports dynasties...who is going to jump in with the women's soccer run by North Carolina? A few, grant you.

It is just a fact that the olympic sports have interest, but an interest that is specialized at this point and time....a niche market of sorts.

I'm not sure what the point is that you continue to try to make. Everyone is in agreement that football and men's basketball are the two biggest sports. By comparison all other sports are niche sports. It doesn't devalue them in the eyes of the people who enjoy them, and for me celebrating a title is no less satisfying.

Reaction Score
Heck....lots of folks even enjoy the intramural sports and club teams. I do.

My school has club teams in men's LAX, hockey, rugby and soccer..and women's rugby and LAX. There are no varsity teams in these sports. I watch some matches when I can.

When the women ruggers were on a roll and won the four women's rugby national championships between 79 and '95, I was still playing club rugby and my wife and I would go to their games at home just like football.

College Rugby is difficult to find on the tube...small US club rugby is non existent. But some would watch.

We are also soccer fans. I once played soccer, officiated soccer, coached soccer (am certified with a D license) and our boy played for Clemson. We watch a lot of soccer (but not that much college soccer is available). Again, if televised, some would watch.

And my family is probably representative. We all would watch more niche sports if they were available to watch.

Ultimately, the sports that are accessed via TV (remotely at any rate) are the ones that have an audience in any sizable number. Maybe we will someday have the ability to have more sports accessible by streaming. And that may change the numbers and national interest.

Lacrosse is fast coming on in the east, soccer will build some interest.....but in my lifetime, football will still rule the roost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't have a map of regional sports interests..but I do know that there are differences....

Women’s gymnastics is a very popular sport in the SEC. As a matter of fact, outside of football, the most successful sport in the SEC for the last 30 years has been women’s gymnastics. Georgia has won 10 national championships, Alabama has won 6 and Florida has won a 3.

The coaches at Florida report that gymnastics is actually a revenue generating sport for them. I’m sure it doesn’t generate much money but at least it doesn’t lose money.

The home attendance for most SEC women’s gymnastics events would probably surpass the crowds (optimistic use) we get for men’s basketball at FSU.

Schools like Alabama, LSU and Georgia average large crowds close to 10,000. The top attendance belongs to the University of Utah where they pack their basketball arena at every meet with an attendance around 11,000.

Just different strokes for different folks.

Reaction Score
We've been playing football for about 20 minutes and we're already better than you...but that was a low hurdle.

As for athletic departments top to bottom, well, title banners aren't exactly a line item in your budget.

Say, what was the greatest moment in Rutgers' athletics? Was it being named Maryland's plus one? Must be - can't remember anything of note on an athletic field.

No, you have not been playing for 20 minutes, you've been playing football for 120 years (since 1896). Sorry you don't even know your own history. I'm embarrassed for you, Guppy.

No you are not better than RU...you have a lifetime winning record of 502–541–38 , which is a lifetime winning percentage of only .482, ( you've lost more games in your history than you've won. laughable. )

Rutgers has a lifetime winning record of 641–621–42 (.508 winning percentage).

Rutgers also owns a 22-11 all-time record against UCONN, winning 2 out of every 3 games, so saying you are already better than RU, especially considering your team has been an absolute embarrassment to your school and state the last 5 years or so, is hysterically inaccurate as well.

There are very few teams that have a lifetime losing record in football. UCONN is one of them. RU is not.

Your team draws flies to your games, and you lose most of the time. You now celebrate when you break 30K in attendance.
Your team has sucked throughout your 120 year history as bad as any college football team in the country has sucked.

Your football team is a laughingstock across the country...and it is the reason you are stuck in the AAC with the rest of the misfits. No major conference wants you. No one.

You've passed us? Maybe as most unsuccessful football program in history, and as least desired team by a major conference. That's the only way you've passed us.

Suck on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69