Rutgers competative struggle in the B1G | The Boneyard

Rutgers competative struggle in the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting article on the struggles of Rutgers in the B1G from a competitive standpoint. No surprizes there really. I think the article is a little bit too hard on Maryland, stating that Maryland is only good at sports no one cares about (women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse, and field hockey). While Maryland certainly dominates the sports fewer care about, the Terps have a great men's basketball team that will compete for conference championships more often than not. The football program has a long ways to go, however.

Ohio State was excellent in Big Ten sports last year. Rutgers? Not so much.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...-5ed3-9513-e8f3b653b708/575caba956ec7.pdf.pdf

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Ohio State struggles with spelling.

CWS-OihoState.jpg

Yes, yes they do.

Reaction Score
Way to know your audience on this one.

And to be fair to Rutgers, they've struggled in every conference they've ever been a part of.
struggled isn't the correct word. that suggests there is some level of effort.

Leached is a better word.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers has always stunk. It is what they do.

I don't think it will take much for Maryland to become competitive in the Big Ten - it ain't exactly the SEC.

Reaction Score

I don't think it will take much for Maryland to become competitive in the Big Ten - it ain't exactly the SEC.

When it comes to sucking in football, you would know. It's what UCONN does. Better than almost everyone, based on your lifetime losing percentage.

Your last 5 years or so, are pretty much like the rest of your long history of sucking. Maybe you're finally due to win more games in a season then you lose? Maybe?

Reaction Score
When it comes to sucking in football, you would know. It's what UCONN does. Better than almost everyone, based on your lifetime losing percentage.

Your last 5 years or so, are pretty much like the rest of your long history of sucking. Maybe you're finally due to win more games in a season then you lose? Maybe?

Lol

Reaction Score
Way to know your audience on this one.

And to be fair to Rutgers, they've struggled in every conference they've ever been a part of.

Exactly this. BOSU has finally figured out his audience, and Rutger's is doing in the B1g exactly what they have done everywhere else they have been throughout their laughably bad athletic history. Income disparity is the reddest of herrings.

Reaction Score

This is a lame response overall. Generally, your last 100 years of athletics at RU has been one of sucking at just about everything. You would have been more effective if you just said that you would rather be a Rutgers in the B1G than a UConn in the AAC and your point would have been well taken. Rutgers can lose every game in every sport and have the one thing that UConn doesn't have, membership in a P5 league and tons of money rolling in. UConn football is going to surprise everyone. It was on the way before the Pasqualoni derailment. But it is coming back and will be a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately for UConn, the timing was off for CR.

Reaction Score

And we are so bad we went 4-5 against Rutty even though we haven't been in D-I Football for 20 years yet. Rutty is so great even Coach P beat you in his last attempt here at Uconn.

I don’t get in on the Rutty Bashing too often. You guys won the realignment sweepstakes and we lost. So I tip my cap to you. Then I remember sports is actually about competition and winning and Rutty is beyond horrible in both aspects.

Beyond being a member of a tremendous conference, what exactly does a Rutgers Fan have to be happy, proud, or hopefully about? I am asking that seriously. If Uconn Athletics folded tomorrow we have a proud history we can always cherish. Beyond a big paycheck, what would a Rutty Fan hold on to if your athletic program folded tomorrow? Not trolling or pickimg, i am asking seriously.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

We've been playing football for about 20 minutes and we're already better than you...but that was a low hurdle.

As for athletic departments top to bottom, well, title banners aren't exactly a line item in your budget.

Say, what was the greatest moment in Rutgers' athletics? Was it being named Maryland's plus one? Must be - can't remember anything of note on an athletic field.

Reaction Score
Interesting article on the struggles of Rutgers in the B1G from a competitive standpoint. No surprizes there really. I think the article is a little bit too hard on Maryland, stating that Maryland is only good at sports no one cares about (women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse, and field hockey). While Maryland certainly dominates the sports fewer care about, the Terps have a great men's basketball team that will compete for conference championships more often than not. The football program has a long ways to go, however.

Ohio State was excellent in Big Ten sports last year. Rutgers? Not so much.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...-5ed3-9513-e8f3b653b708/575caba956ec7.pdf.pdf

The Maryland shot seemed unnecessary. Maryland and Michigan have both won 16 Big Ten titles since 2014. In that span, neither has won a men's basketball or football championship. So by the author's logic, U-M is also only good at sports the B1G doesn't care about? UMD finished higher in the football standings in 2014, U-M finished better in 2015. UMD finished higher in men's hoops both seasons. It kinda felt like it would've killed the Ohio State guy to just say something nice about the newbie.

Rutgers, on the other hand, has a long way to go in most sports. They're the only team to have never won a Big Ten championship and they've won just six conference championships ever. Their facilities need replacing, they don't pay their coaches a ton, their donor base is small and fickle, and their legislature is unsupportive. The new AD has an uphill battle.

Reaction Score
Some sports do not register....particularly Olympic sports...........for example...does anyone really care that UNC won the men's and the women's Lax this year or that UNC has won 21 National Championships in Women's Soccer?

If it isn't football or men's basketball, it falls way back on the register.

Reaction Score
It's not impossible. Legislature maybe an uphill battle, but many want to see the AD succeed. Out of all the states in the conference and within the Northeast region, NJ is the only state that has such a brain drain when it comes to their talent leaving the state. There is new thinking and new ideas to implement success however, and so what if it tool this long. Never have we seen this much support in such a small period of time (several months as opposed to years, perhaps decades), but he is on the way. We're not like Connecticut, where you're receiving overwhelming support state wide, this is a different demon in NJ, but it's happeneing. To say never is perversely unfair.

As per football, the school in general offers more than most, from a talent point and state point of view. Many programs across the country come here to recruit, including UCONN. If we're able to keep the fleeing from happening, we can compete, but that's a big IF. Recruiting isn't done and we have 8 months before NSD, but if we're able to retain what we have committed, this can be a very competitive team. The same goes for most programs within the AD.

We finally have the right man for the job, and he's able to do on a few months what most couldnt do in several years, and that includes obtaining donations. I can't say the same for most big time programs nationally.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Some sports do not register....particularly Olympic sports......for example...does anyone really care that UNC won the men's and the women's Lax this year or that UNC has won 21 National Championships in Women's Soccer?

If it isn't football or men's basketball, it falls way back on the register.

Well...this thread is about Rutgers...and UConn is in the AAC...so...no...we don't care about UNC olympic sports. But thanks for randomly bringing an ACC opinion into a thread that has nothing to do with the ACC.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score

Son....you got to do better than that!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Nor was the ACC, and they pretty much stunk there too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Maryland shot seemed unnecessary. Maryland and Michigan have both won 16 Big Ten titles since 2014. In that span, neither has won a men's basketball or football championship. So by the author's logic, U-M is also only good at sports the B1G doesn't care about? UMD finished higher in the football standings in 2014, U-M finished better in 2015. UMD finished higher in men's hoops both seasons. It kinda felt like it would've killed the Ohio State guy to just say something nice about the newbie.

Rutgers, on the other hand, has a long way to go in most sports. They're the only team to have never won a Big Ten championship and they've won just six conference championships ever. Their facilities need replacing, they don't pay their coaches a ton, their donor base is small and fickle, and their legislature is unsupportive. The new AD has an uphill battle.

Hmmm....who could you get to replace that dumpster fire, and yet still retain a strong presence in the NY market. It's a stumper for sure.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, would I like to see UCONN have the conference affiliation Rutgers has.......or BC and Syracuse for that matter? Of course I would.

Would I want UCONN to swap out athletic departments with Rutgers? Hell know. And throw BC and Syracuse in that one too. Rutgers has been a train wreck for quite a while. Just because you hang around with a better class of people doesn't mean you still don't stink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom