Runs | The Boneyard

Runs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've enjoyed reading The Boneyard for awhile. This is my first post.

I'm interested is beginning a discussion of offensive (scoring points) and defensive (preventing points) runs in Huskie games. For example, at the beginning of the St. Bonaventure game this year the girls scored 31 consecutive points, and against Notre Dame in the national championship game they scored 14 consecutive points.

What are some other runs where the Huskies either scored a lot of consecutive points or prevented points for a good number of game minutes?

A second category might be significant runs, runs which occurred during significant moments and/or in significant games.

What have been some significant Huskie runs?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't have any answers but I like the topic. Additional tracks could be double digit runs where UConn scores ten or more points while holding the opponent scoreless and runs at the start of the game or start of the second half. There are also opponent runs (were there any of those?).

Reaction Score
Doris calls them danger times for the opponents. They can come with the opening tip against weak teams. Against the stronger teams, usually the middle 20 minutes of the game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not one of UConn's Huge Runs, but still one of the most important.

2010 National Championship Game against Stanford. Down 20-12 at the half.

Team scored the first five points of the second half to make the score 20-17. Stanford scores a basket to make it 22-17. Team then had a run of 12-0 to make the score 29-22 and order was restored. I knew at the time that after the run, that UConn would win the National Championship. It was a 17-2 run, not so much by great offense by UConn, but by Great Defense. Maya scored 11 points during the run.

Another Historic Run was the 11-0 Run at the end of the Texas vs UConn in the 2003 National Semi-Finals. UConn won 71-69 when it looked like they would lose. They went on to beat the Lady Vols for the National Championship.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Anyone have that ODU half online? It would be lovely to see again....

I feel like the "Duke Waiters" game had some serious runs...

Reaction Score
Yeah. I don't remember that ODU run at all, and I have many fond memories of the 2002 team. Any chance it's archived anywhere?

Reaction Score
How about the Perfect Run the 2002 team put on ODU in the first 10 minutes of the Regional Final of the tournament? That was some of the best basketball ever played by any UConn women's team.

I remember that ODU had easily beaten the well thought of 2 seed K State in the regional semifinals,
and although UConn had beaten ODU during the regular season, it was a hard fought game, and
I was more than a little nervous (as usual).

Then our kids came out and hit their first 13 shots (I believe it was), and the game was effectively
over.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think ND scored about 8 or 9 points in about the first 15 minutes of the second half of the national champipnship game. The team that was statistically the best or second best in the nation looked hapless. Our team defense was outstanding, with our SOPHOMORES leading the way.

Not quite in the same category as runs, one measuring stick a few years ago was whether or not Maya outscored the entire opposition in the first half. She viewed her role as helping her team to get an early lead. It was not surprising to see a score at the first TV timeout of Maya 11 v. the other guys 4.

Reaction Score
One of the male announcers for the games coined the phrase "and just like that", which I think we anticipates saying when, within minutes, UConn puts up 15+ points on an opponent.

Btw, I can't stop giggling over any phrase that contains the word "runs."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01