Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The suggestion that scouting evaluations ALWAYS bear fruit is far from true and some of the top ten RATED talent ends up being somewhat akin to chopped liver. For you to suggest that they always get it right just isn't so.

I never made either of those suggestions.

Let's stop with the jiu-jitsu. I'm not quite sure what you and a few others are trying to argue. Nobody is denigrating Butler. If you and them want to believe she is a better talent than Lauren Cox, have at it. I'll believe otherwise, just as I'll believe Asia Durr is a better talent than Saniya Chong despite the differences in opposition and experience.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This thread is still about Megan Walker more or less I presume?

So, it's probably the place to mention that Geno watched Walker play last night.

Thursday night, with University of Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma in the crowd, Walker paced the Chiefs with 25 points, 15 coming in the second half. She didn’t shoot well from the perimeter until she hit two 3-pointers in the second half that finally gave the Chiefs some separation from the scrappy Trojans.

http://www.richmond.com/article_31a27af6-4802-5c55-ad53-a8afa22562f1.html

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The joke isn't about the dead, though thanks for your concern and perspective on taste.

The name Boko Haram means, roughly, "Western education is a sin." In other words, a virulently anti-education group advising on manners at a PTA meeting, juxtaposed with Tony advising on spelling. Both more suited to disrupt than to observe correctness.

You still won't like it, and I don't especially like explaining or justifying jokes, but there you are.

I think the humor is fine as long it is Mod Approved...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Where are these videos of Butler?
Duh

As for Cox, I've seen her play more than a dozen times in actual HS level games.
FYP

I'm not getting into a winless semantical argument over position labels.
Good, you're catching on.

I've also watched McCoy several times and she could easily be labeled a forward too. They both do similar things, Cox just does most of them better.
It's not what they do, it's what they are.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How do we know this?
ummm, because she did it? Have you not been following this thread, or WCBB? WTF kind of question is that?:confused:

Anyone who plays 36 minutes a game and has a Div 1 scholarship can score some points.
Ok, well how many points has Cox scored at the Div 1 level?

But we really don't know much of anything about her offensive abilities.
See, here's your problem, we actually do know about her Div 1 offensive abilities. Or at least we have plenty of Div 1 evidence to form an informed opinion. As with Cox we have 0 Div 1 evidence.

I've seen Lauren Cox' skills, as have many others who get paid to do so, and our conclusions all pretty much match. People didn't have to see Stewart or Taurasi face college competition to know how talented they were.
So have I, but I wouldn't put her in the Stewart or DT category.

Does Cox have the potential to be a good Div 1 player? I'd say so.
Does Butler have the potential to be a good Div 1 player? She's already done it. It's not potential anymore.
Does Cox have the potential to be better than Butler? I think so, but we won't really know until we see how she adjusts to Div 1 level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Duh

It's not what they do, it's what they are.

Duh doesn't answer my question.

Not sure what the other comment means either. If you think there is a distinct difference in the type of players Cox and McCoy are you are mistaken. They vary in quality, not position.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ummm, because she did it? Have you not been following this thread, or WCBB? WTF kind of question is that?:confused:

She scored barely more points per minute than Chong is this year. Who knows what % of those points came on putbacks, or whether she actually has offensive skills. You certainly don't seem to know as all of your responses are of the 'beg the question' variety.

Well you got me there. I think we can all agree that Brianna Pulido has proven she has more talent and scoring ability than Lauren Cox. After all, which one has done it in college? The answer is clear.

Does Cox have the potential to be better than Butler? I think so, but we won't really know until we see how she adjusts to Div 1 level.

You could've saved us and anyone reading buckets of time by stating this two days ago.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Duh doesn't answer my question.
Sorry, missed the "h". Were vs Where. Reading too fast. Or getting too old.

They are out there on YouTube. Or they were anyway. I assume they are still there.

Not sure what the other comment means either. If you think there is a distinct difference in the type of players Cox and McCoy are you are mistaken. They vary in quality, not position.

Yea, figured that would go over your head. Don't worry about it. Take way to long to explain, and you probably wouldn't agree anyway.

From what I have seen of them, they are quite different players. But my eye might just be more discernible.

Reaction Score
I don't know about others. but I'm not about to get highly enthusiastic about a player that may very well choose to go elsewhere. If Cox decides to go to Texas or Notre Dame, I'll reckon with it on that level. But just for that reason I'm not about to get all pumped up about how much better she is than any player UConn may have at that position. Sorry (not) to be such a UConn homer. Now if there is reason for certainty that she is coming to UConn, I may not have heard it but I'd be all ears for that. Otherwise, the daily dose of how much better Lauren Cox is than anyone UConn will have gets a bit old on a UConn board, don't you think?

(No, I'm not going to "just ignore" this thread because I AM interested in any news concerning Walker, and logically, this might be the place I'd find it.)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From what I have seen of them, they are quite different players. But my eye might just be more discernible.

Cox is a better passer, rebounder, and shot-blocker, but McCoy is plenty versatile, even having been compared to Candice Parker. I don't agree with that comparison, but it should tell you that McCoy isn't an immobile giant who sits under the basket all day at "Center".

If you wanted to compare Cox to Rebecca Lobo in style I wouldn't disagree much. McCoy is different than Wolters though due to her versatility.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

See, here's your problem, we actually do know about her Div 1 offensive abilities. Or at least we have plenty of Div 1 evidence to form an informed opinion. As with Cox we have 0 Div 1 evidence.

So have I, but I wouldn't put her in the Stewart or DT category.

Does Cox have the potential to be a good Div 1 player? I'd say so.
Does Butler have the potential to be a good Div 1 player? She's already done it. It's not potential anymore.

While I like your post I believe we have nothing reliable to say Cox has the potential to be better than Butler, be it HS ball, USA Basketball or AAU. Yeah, I know the ranking, but 2 of the 3 "post/forward" #1es in the last 5 years have been disappointing in Div. 1 - perhaps disappointing is too strong -had carrers much less impressive than the #1 rank would suggest was attainable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She scored barely more points per minute than Chong is this year. Who knows what % of those points came on putbacks, or whether she actually has offensive skills. You certainly don't seem to know as all of your responses are of the 'beg the question' variety.

1) Ppm or 40min avg is a bullsh!t stat. Unless one actually plays 40 minutes. (sorry JR) It’s fun to play around with, but it doesn’t mean

2) Putbacks is an offensive skill. We know she can score at Div 1 level, she’s done it, so obviously she has some offensive skills. You don’t avg double digits without having the ability to put the ball in the basket.

3) Because it’s pretty obvious. Do you want me to prove the sun came up today also???
Well you got me there.
Yes I did.
I think we can all agree that Brianna Pulido has proven she has more talent and scoring ability than Lauren Cox. After all, which one has done it in college? The answer is clear.

Stay on point. Pulido has nothing to do with comparing Butler and Cox’s resume’s.

You could've saved us and anyone reading buckets of time by stating this two days ago.

My position hasn’t changed.

The point is you believe Cox is going to step in and start as a FR over Butler, based on

1) You’ve seen Cox play HS level basketball.

2) You are completely disregarding the evidence that Butler has excelled at Div 1 level basketball.

I think Cox could be better than Butler by the time Cox graduates. You seem to think she’ll be better the day she arrives on campus. (if she does, which she probably won’t anyway)

And don't kid yourself, ain't nobody else reading our tripe.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I like your post I believe we have nothing reliable to say Cox has the potential to be better than Butler, be it HS ball, USA Basketball or AAU. Yeah, I know the ranking, but 2 of the 3 "post/forward" #1es in the last 5 years have been disappointing in Div. 1 - perhaps disappointing is too strong -had carrers much less impressive than the #1 rank would suggest was attainable.
I agree. It's just my opinion from what I have seen of her and Butler. I think she has the potential, don't know if it will be realized though. From what I have seen of her she impresses me much more than Russell or Wilson did. But who knows. We're in agreement, she hasn't made the jump to Div 1 yet. Let alone the jump to UCONN level.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
McCoy is a fine player, and by all reports a good person. But the BY's scouts might do well to know that her school usually plays against a motley collection of small schools and rather weak teams. This doesn't mean that she couldn't possibly be "the next Candice Parker," but Parker played against Chicago area teams often. McCoy has not. The teams here in downstate Illinois just aren't at the level that Collier has played against in the St. Louis area, for example. A big deal? Not necessarily. Just part of the total story.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1) Ppm or 40min avg is a bullsh!t stat. Unless one actually plays 40 minutes. (sorry JR) It’s fun to play around with, but it doesn’t mean

Actually, it means a lot. Butler isn't going to get 36 minutes at UConn. You are relying on her stats, stats that would not be as good with 10 fewer minutes played. Doesn't change what kind of player she would be, but more minutes means more total stats.

2) Putbacks is an offensive skill. We know she can score at Div 1 level, she’s done it, so obviously she has some offensive skills. You don’t avg double digits without having the ability to put the ball in the basket.

Calling putbacks an offensive skill is a serious stretch. Anyone as tall as her can get putbacks over smaller opponents. Now, you have to have the ability to get offensive rebounds to make that happen and she very well may have that ability.

3) Because it’s pretty obvious. Do you want me to prove the sun came up today also???

Stay on point. Pulido has nothing to do with comparing Butler and Cox’s resume’s

Begging the question and proving something are not one in the same. As for Pulido, your logic needed a similar comparison. Quit claiming that scoring a few points on a bad team in a mediocre league playing 36 minutes a night indicates Butler has good offensive skills. That in and of itself doesn't tell us much of anything.

The point is you believe Cox is going to step in and start as a FR over Butler, based on

At no time have I ever claimed Cox would start ahead of Butler as a freshmen. She might, but I have never claimed that.

1) You’ve seen Cox play HS level basketball.

2) You are completely disregarding the evidence that Butler has excelled at Div 1 level basketball.

I'm not disregarding anything, A, and B, I've watched Asia Durr play "HS level" basketball too, and have no problem saying she would start over Saniya Chong at UConn. Maybe that's something you would feel the need to argue against too.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ih017078.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree. It's just my opinion from what I have seen of her and Butler. I think she has the potential, don't know if it will be realized though. From what I have seen of her she impresses me much more than Russell or Wilson did. But who knows. We're in agreement, she hasn't made the jump to Div 1 yet. Let alone the jump to UCONN level.

Dag Nabbit Meyers...you agree with me, but apparently don't like my post!! Moderators Alert: We Need another Button - the Agree button, and Agree should be worth 3 Likes. :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, just standing up for my big brother here - putting all players' stats into terms of 40 minutes gives us an opportunity to compare apples to apples. It gives us a way to compare Briana Pulido's .1 points (in 2.3 minutes) per game to Breanna Stewart's 16.8 points per game (in 29.5 minutes). You make a basic assumption - one we know is improbable but you need a comparative basis - that both players play 40 minutes. It could be 10 minutes or 15 or 60; 40 is used because it's the number of minutes in a game. In that way, we can compare what might, theoretically happen if both players played for the full 40 minutes. Now, we know there are variables, such as the fact Stewie plays against the tougher starting players rather than the subs that Briana usually plays against but it's just a statistical modeling. Fun for stats geeks and fans alike and just something else to mull over. As we are, I guess!

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Butler's transfer was just what UConn needed since they will be short on bigs next season. And I would expect Butler to start next season even if Cox chose to become a Huskie. Butler would be in the equivalent of her junior year and will have practiced with the team for a whole year. That would be a huge advantage for Butler, too much for even Cox to overcome.
With that said, Cox has more potential. She can do things that Butler simply can't and I expect that eventually Cox would win the starting position since I don't see them playing together on a regular basis. If they did that would mean that an even more talented player (KLS,Collier, etc.) would be on the bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And I would expect Butler to start next season even if Cox chose to become a Huskie. Butler would be in the equivalent of her junior year and will have practiced with the team for a whole year.

Cox has another year of high school. She's just a junior.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
God forbid, but I decided to add some facts to the discussion anyhow.

FG: 168/342 49.123% 2nd on team
FT: 109/164 66.463% 2th on team
RB: 64 13.281/g 1st on team
AS: 61 1.906/g 4th on team
BL: 59 1.844/g 1st on team
ST: 11 0.344/g 6th on team
PT: 445 13.906/g 2nd on team

Taken from the NCAA stats page for Georgetown 2013-4. You can find it by going to this page and filling in Georgetown/2013-14/Women's Basketball

Note that, for team rankings I have omitted three players (Cooper, Comolli, Freedman) who played 9 games or less.

BTW, The Big East placed 2 teams in the 2014 NCAA tournament. They won 3 games. It placed 4 teams in the 2014 WNIT. They won 5 games.

Statistics are a crapshoot in general. No two situations are the same. We have no idea what all the variables are, never mind which ones are the most important. If we're trying for predictions (which I'm not), we just control for the ones we think are important and preen ourselves endlessly if our calculations have some verisimilitude with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom