rumblings on Morgan NOT coming to UCONN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

rumblings on Morgan NOT coming to UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
didn't know that. interesting considering dez said something about a suprise and we orginally were looking for 2 rbs. hmmm

there are 5-8 names to watch 2moro still, all are solid prospects with other offers.

Reaction Score
Shaw committed to Iowa only to be told they no longer had a scholarship for him.

Wow..well then this sort of thing could certainly qualify as a potential surprise! Perhaps this is what Dez was referring to...that there may be - may be a surprise tomorrow. Guess that could mean Shaw is evaluating his other offers and we're in the running, when most thought he was already Iowa bound. Just speculation...but sure would be a nice get.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Iowa has had rotten luck with RB's as of late - don't they have a streak of seven or so RB's in a row who left Ames before their eligibility was up?...

Reaction Score
I don't care if she was drunk, we still tagged the hot girl at the bar... It counts all the same.
BCS!!!!!!

The Giants lost to Washington twice and finished 9-7. Why am I missing the posts in outrage because they are NFC champions? Oh yes -- because winning championships counts. Unless you're Randy Edsall.

Frankly, it is that simple.

Reaction Score
Also keep in mind if the Giamts lose to the Pats 21-20 in the Super Bowl the Giants are the better team because they beat the Pats 24-20 this year.

Just sayin'.....

Reaction Score
BL there are a lot of posters here that would agree with you about Edsall...and there are the hhaters that will be hating and blaming him 25 years from now. He took us to a BCS bowl and should be acknowledged for that I know. But truth be told...Coach P should have let the remaining Edsall staff go after signing day just like what happens at EVERY other BCS school when a new coach comes in from the outside. I can tell you for a FACT Edsall was a bad closer...I heard stories about him almost blowing it with Orlavsky from someone who was there in Dan O's living room as a UConn Asst. You harp all the time about P and his bad record with a talented returning line-up. What about the team Edsall inherited from Skip Holtz that was coming off of our first ever 1AA playoff appearance and was still playing at the 1AA level? The 1998 team Holtz took to the playoffs finished 10-3 and lost to Georgia Southern 52-30 in the second round of the 1AA playoffs...the first game was home against Hampton a 42-34 win at Memorial Stadium and was a AWESOME game to experience and watch! The next year Edsall goes 4-7 with 6 of the 7 losses being to teams in the Yankee/Atlantic 10/CAA or what ever it was called back then conference...the 7th loss being to Kentucky. Gee familiar? Don't go there with talent level because he had a team with a talent level recruited to compete with teams he lost 6 of 7 games to. Edsall did great things for a young program and he moved on. Let's support Coach P and forget about the guy who moved down to College Park!

Reaction Score
The Giants lost to Washington twice and finished 9-7. Why am I missing the posts in outrage because they are NFC champions? Oh yes -- because winning championships counts. Unless you're Randy Edsall.

Randy Edsall is gone, and we're talking about recruiting under the current regime, which is a VERY relevant topic.

Reaction Score
"...I heard stories about him almost blowing it with Orlavsky from someone who was there in Dan O's living room as a UConn Asst"

Care to share the story?

Reaction Score

I'm sure Denver fans were thrilled when they won their division crown this year at 8-8 and made the playoffs. I'm also sure they aspire to have better seasons. That is a better comparison.

And we have won one Big East Championship to date, to say we have two is an insult to human intelligence regardless of what some clerk in the Big East office says.

Reaction Score
I don't mind the comparisons to Edsall. I still believe that his haters are the ones who can't seem to move on more than anyone else. I'm not upset he's gone, don't want him back, and am looking forward to an even brighter future (if we can get out of this mess we call the big east). But there's no reason our recruiting shouldn't be the best it's ever been, look at what has been accomplished while the kids comparing colleges now have been growing up the past 5-10 years. OL commit, Zac Rugg from PA stated he grew up watching UConn on TV. I'd love for someone to tell me (with a straight face) how many of the players from the 2004 Motor City Bowl championship team grew up watching UConn on tv. Even Orlovsky couldn't watch UConn on TV growing up.

It remains humorous watching fans simultaneously claim superiority over other programs for what was accomplished by a bad coach who couldn't recruit, and then undercut some of those accomplishments only because the discussion has turned from UConn vs. Rutgers, etc, to Edsall vs. Pasqualoni.

Unfortunately, a little intellectual honesty is asking too much. Unfortunately, because many of you don't like the former coach, you'll tear down what was built at every chance, and pretend that Pasqualoni's job hasn't been made much easier thanks to the former coach. Based on what we've done the past decade, there's no reason this shouldn't be our best recruiting class no matter who the coach is.

Reactions: #2
Reaction Score
So how 'bout that weather?

Went for a hike today, it was so nice out.

Who says global warming (assuming it's real) is a bad thing?

Reaction Score
And we have won one Big East Championship to date, to say we have two is an insult to human intelligence regardless of what some clerk in the Big East office says.
Right on cue...

WVU was much, much, much better than us on that day. They did, however, LOSE to two teams that we beat. Just because you don't think that matters, doesn't mean you're right. The record over the course of the season was every bit as important as that one game. If WVU deserved it outright, they would have beaten Pitt or USF. They didn't, while we did.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Shakim Phillips was a four star recruit. 247 has Whitmer as a four star. So there you go....

Whitmer was a big get, you watch his video's and its obvious he can really throw the football, 3000 yards last year at the JUCO school. That's a recruit we do not get if Edsall were here. He's a pro style QB and Edsall does not run a pro style system. The kid had an offer from Stamford. Do you think Jim Harbaugh knows a little bit about the QB position?

Jim Harbaugh coached at Stamford High?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
That hot girl in the bar is claiming rape. She is also suing you for 3 million dollars. We did accomplish a very important thing with that game though, we made the powers that be realize the folly of the automatic qualifier.

So had we beat Rutgers and Louisville and still got smoked by OU somehow you'd feel better?

Maybe the Packers should give back last years trophy since they were a wild card.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.859717,-73.892027

Reaction Score
BL there are a lot of posters here that would agree with you about Edsall...and there are the hhaters that will be hating and blaming him 25 years from now. He took us to a BCS bowl and should be acknowledged for that I know. But truth be told...Coach P should have let the remaining Edsall staff go after signing day just like what happens at EVERY other BCS school when a new coach comes in from the outside. I can tell you for a FACT Edsall was a bad closer...I heard stories about him almost blowing it with Orlavsky from someone who was there in Dan O's living room as a UConn Asst. You harp all the time about P and his bad record with a talented returning line-up. What about the team Edsall inherited from Skip Holtz that was coming off of our first ever 1AA playoff appearance and was still playing at the 1AA level? The 1998 team Holtz took to the playoffs finished 10-3 and lost to Georgia Southern 52-30 in the second round of the 1AA playoffs...the first game was home against Hampton a 42-34 win at Memorial Stadium and was a AWESOME game to experience and watch! The next year Edsall goes 4-7 with 6 of the 7 losses being to teams in the Yankee/Atlantic 10/CAA or what ever it was called back then conference...the 7th loss being to Kentucky. Gee familiar? Don't go there with talent level because he had a team with a talent level recruited to compete with teams he lost 6 of 7 games to. Edsall did great things for a young program and he moved on. Let's support Coach P and forget about the guy who moved down to College Park!

FWIW, I fully support Coach P or anyone else who is coaching the UConn program at the moment. And I don't care in the least how our former coach does in Maryland.

I do care when people minimize the accomplishments of the program because they don't like the former coach.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Denver fans were thrilled when they won their division crown this year at 8-8 and made the playoffs. I'm also sure they aspire to have better seasons. That is a better comparison.

Next time you are peeking out your window make sure you yell out that they've only won one title. You just insulted the players who worked their asses off for those trophies.

Human intelligence....yeah right.

Reaction Score
Next time you are peeking out your window make sure you yell out that they've only won one title. You just insulted the players who worked their asses off for those trophies.

Human intelligence....yeah right.

Fine have it your way. I always thought we were Big East Champions last year, turns out we were just co-champions with two other teams. Damn Edsall, he never won a title outright. How many has P won outright?

And BTW today you insulted every recruit we have who didn't have an offer from Penn State.

Reaction Score
Thank God Randy didn't have to recruit against coaches telling recruits the Big East was going away. Oh wait....yes he did....

Next....

Randy didn't have to recruit uphill against Syracuse, he was on a level ground with them. Next.

Reaction Score
Randy didn't have to recruit uphill against Syracuse, he was on a level ground with them. Next.

Do you even think before you post? Rock said PP has to deal with a crappy league while recruiting and I compared it to Randy having recruits being told the Big East wouldn't be around long.

Has nothing to with SU. Yeeesh....

Reaction Score
"...I heard stories about him almost blowing it with Orlavsky from someone who was there in Dan O's living room as a UConn Asst"

Care to share the story?
The way it was told by one of the 2 Asst coaches that were there with Edsall when he made the in home visit...they doubled back after the 3 of them left and ended up saving things and sealing the deal. Closing on recruits was not an Edsall strong point. BUT he got enough recruits to make this program competitive and on the map. One thing a friend of mine who is a former player told me us that Edsall would have former players come back and give the kids graduating mock job interviews...then give them tips on how to dress, prepare, and ace interviews.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I fully support Coach P or anyone else who is coaching the UConn program at the moment. And I don't care in the least how our former coach does in Maryland.

I do care when people minimize the accomplishments of the program because they don't like the former coach.
The haters are always gonna hate no matter what.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't like longer posts can go to sleep or petition to reinstate the 101 character limit.

The dumb ass thing about this whole thing is that if anyone wants to assess the performance of REs recruiting and game coaching over 10 years or so vs. PP after one year, they ought to be a little dispassionate and not that many folks want to be. I sat in Memorial Stadium and watched an RE coached team get shoved all over the lot by Northeastern. What is significant about that is that UConn was already known to be scheduling up for a planned moved to D 1A at the time, Northeastern had no such pretenses, and UConn was already presumed to be recruiting against the needs for the jump in competition. Count me as many who wondered if RE was the guy who could take us to the next level.

I am neither a hater or defender of RE, I am a fan of the program, and to his credit, he built a program that became competitive much faster than anyone in their right mind had a right to expect. Of course, getting Dan O didn't hurt. But it may well be that RE's approach that made us competitive, also might have been the characteristic that made it hard for him to get us to a higher level. Anyone who thinks that his program was a world beater when it made it to the BCS game should know better. It was fun, but we were no juggernaut. RE is a conservative coach on both sides of the ball and, despite the hoo-ha about the new training facilities, the flood of super recruits that some experts and consequently some on the BY think we should be getting did not materialize. But RE did get some decent players. He sort of shocked me when he left,only because the program was totally his, but I always thought he felt both under-appreciated at UConn but also over-estimated his own talents.

So, he leaves and enter PP. Now, if anyone can say with a straight face that PP inherited a group of seasoned and skilled players at key positions, name them please. And I do not blame RE for kids like Frey and Todman leaving, but that does not translate into PP inheriting anything in the skill positions, regardless of whether or not RE can be blamed. I have said that I didn't like PP's QB rotation early on, but he had 3 green QBs, the only left-over QB with any game experience at all having quit the program. He had no healthy experienced RBs, had to replace 3 very good LBs, had no game breaking WRs and a very young set of DBs. That relates to on the field performance. Was I thrilled with the O? No. But I think that PP deserves a bit of a pass on year one. It is still the case that we won't have much experience at QB, but he did get one kid who rates high as a CT QB (kept a local home) and get a JUCO QB who meets the recruiting test for high school props, but so did Frazer and he was what he was.

As for recruiting overall, PP has a knock here from some related to two basic issues - not beating out RU for NJ kids, which is just about the silliest knock that can be put on the guy, and for not getting kids away from places like PSU, Iowa and such, which I think is also not worth much of a knock for a few reasons. One, RE was getting knocked for not recruiting against the more recognized programs. So which is it, don't recruit those kids at all or recruit against them and lose out. and maybe get a few along the way. Not to mention that some of the less recognized kids are actually better than some of the recognized ones. Second, if anyone thinks that UConn is the kind of program that can jump in on a senior who has been recruitied for at least one to two more years by a better recognized program and win a lot of kids, I want what you are smoking. The test for PP. like any coach, is how well does the team perform and how well does he recruit to get the kind of kids who fit the way he wants to play the game. Last year on the field proved very little of lasting information and his recruiting seems not all that much to complain about. Sayanora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom