RPI | Page 5 | The Boneyard

RPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right now who cares about the RPI of this team. They don't pass any eye test no matter how delusional or drunk you are. There is talent to get there, but there simply hasn't been any sort of execution.

Reaction Score
Seriously. Win some games and say F-you to worrying about RPI
Yes, win some games....and then some more games....and then start worrying/analyzing the RPI.

Reaction Score
RPI MEANS NOTHING IF YOU CAN"T WIN

I only joined this board during this past football season - did people ever worry about RPI under JC? just curious...

Reaction Score
73 RPI
36 BPI
32 KenPom

We need to reel off 5 straight W's going into the SMU game to get back on track.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie's career at UConn: 38-36 vs RPI top 150 teams, 42-2 vs sub-150 teams. Games against half competent teams under Ollie are basically a toss up, and that makes me sad. I expect to enter the AAC tournament with 10 losses, which I feel will likely put us where we have to at least make the championship game.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie's career at UConn: 38-36 vs RPI top 150 teams, 42-2 vs sub-150 teams. Games against half competent teams under Ollie are basically a toss up, and that makes me sad. I expect to enter the AAC tournament with 10 losses, which I feel will likely put us where we have to at least make the championship game.

I think 10 losses makes it almost certain we have to win the AAC tournament. KO's record against top 150 teams is pretty eye-opening, but it makes sense. Outside of the 2014 championship run UConn has only been a slightly better than average team over the past 4 years. I still think it has more to do with lack of talent than coaching, but next year will make things much clearer. We're going to have a talented roster without question, so it's time to start winning games against good teams on a consistent basis.

Reaction Score
Sucks, Cincy up to RPI 57. Well that will make the win @Cincy that much sweeter.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
RPI back down to 56, KP 26, BPI 30, SOS 74. Best win Texas @ 20, worst loss Temple at 80. 2-2 top 50 and 4-6 top 100. May not have updated yet with Texas and Houston results yet.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Assuming Butler's remaining four losses are to Seton Hall, Georgetown, Nova, and Xavier, their projected RPI heading into the Big East Tournament would be 37.

A bit of an RPI nitpick, but RPI doesn't care who your losses or wins are against, the numbers are the same. Butler could lose only to the four worst teams left on their schedule or lose only to the 4 best and the RPI is the same.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Cincy probably wouldn't be in the bracket right now. Purdue is a good win.

But Temple beat Kansas last year, and that wasn't enough...

no representation on the committee, otherwise they'd be in

Reaction Score
Bottom line is this. We lost to Temple and Cinci AT HOME so why would anyone think we will beat either of them on the road or beat SMU anywhere. And if we go O-fer against the top three teams in a crappy conference we are nowhere but NIT bound. Sure, a miracle turnaround can happen but I am not expecting it. And if the NIT happens again, Ollie goes on the hot seat next year. And if we get a repeat next year, this place turns into a battlefield.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is this. We lost to Temple and Cinci AT HOME so why would anyone think we will beat either of them on the road or beat SMU anywhere. And if we go O-fer against the top three teams in a crappy conference we are nowhere but NIT bound. Sure, a miracle turnaround can happen but I am not expecting it. And if the NIT happens again, Ollie goes on the hot seat next year. And if we get a repeat next year, this place turns into a battlefield.
lol

Reaction Score

A couple things.

1 Barely lost to Temple and Cincy at home without Brimah (reigning conference DPOY). He is now back
2 UConn beat Houston @Houston. SMU just lost @Houston. This shows that UConn is capable of beating SMU.
3 UConn is 4-1 on the road this year. Small sample size but that is a very good road record.

I'm not saying they'll definitely win @Temple or @Cincy or anywhere against SMU, but I am optimistic.

Reaction Score
you are always a ray of sunshine

teams never lose at home and beat the same team on the road, it never happens, ever

Reaction Score
The winning percentage and opponent's winning percentage are what matter. Provided you keep the same opponents, the second (and third) sections don't change.

And UConn's RPI would ultimately be the same if it beat Maryland, Syracuse, Gonzaga, and Temple and instead lost to the four worst teams we played (provided they were at the same venue) since it would not change our winning percentage.

Reaction Score
The winning percentage and opponent's winning percentage are what matter. Provided you keep the same opponents, the second (and third) sections don't change.

And UConn's RPI would ultimately be the same if it beat Maryland, Syracuse, Gonzaga, and Temple and instead lost to the four worst teams we played (provided they were at the same venue) since it would not change our winning percentage.
O.K. got it. That is pretty stupid isn't it?

I think people get too caught up in the importance of the RPI of their team. I don't think the tournament selection committee looks at a team's RPI for whether they are selected for the NCAA Tournament and their seeding. What they use the RPI for is to gauge the quality of the teams you beat and lost to (mostly beat). So they're looking at the RPI of the teams you played and how good were the wins. Obviously by the nature of the calculation if you have a lot of wins and beat high RPI teams your own RPI is going to be high. But you're getting into the NCAA Tournament based on who you played and beat and not your RPI ranking.

Reaction Score
Sure that's too high. But they're 82 in KenPom and 97 in Sagarin, so it isn't like they are just some crappy team.
I think we would all agree that the RPI has serious flaws when 13-6 William and Mary is ranked #36...

Reaction Score
Sure that's too high. But they're 82 in KenPom and 97 in Sagarin, so it isn't like they are just some crappy team.
W & M not a crappy team but jeeze....they have 1 win @ NC State but otherwise just CAA wins & 2 really bad losses.

They get credit for playing & losing some good OOC games....perfect example how flawed Rpi is.

Reaction Score
RPI 48 Kenpom 21 BPI 27. Now we're talking! I hate the RPI because is so easily to manipulate. It seems the Atlantic 10 has it down but if we can get a seating of 6 or 7, I would be pumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom