Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
That's a bold claim.

I see what you did there.

Reaction Score
this sight is so much better with Nelson ignored. forgot how annoying, stupid, and just plain pathetic his viewpoints were until I stumbled onto this thread.

if you say 'day', he'll go out of his way to prove it's night, even if it makes no sense. And he'll never stop. He will always take the most annoying, least popular position, and keep throwing it in your face like a little girl looking for some attention.

take my advice, set her to ignore and she goes away.

Reaction Score
I did a little research. It appears Nelson isn't even human. He is actually an Internet Bot developed by a group of grad students at the California Institute of Technology to increase data traffic. His posts employ sophisticated chaos-based algorithms that generate targeted, repetitive behavioral responses from its unknowing victims.

Reaction Score
I did a little research. It appears Nelson isn't even human. He is actually an Internet Bot developed by a group of grad students at the California Institute of Technology to increase data traffic. His posts employ sophisticated chaos-based algorithms that generate targeted, repetitive behavioral responses from its unknowing victims.

Watch the "Good Wife" eh?;)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
this sight is so much better with Nelson ignored. forgot how annoying, stupid, and just plain pathetic his viewpoints were until I stumbled onto this thread.

if you say 'day', he'll go out of his way to prove it's night, even if it makes no sense. And he'll never stop. He will always take the most annoying, least popular position, and keep throwing it in your face like a little girl looking for some attention.

take my advice, set her to ignore and she goes away.

Which part of my position am I wrong about?

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Awesome MAC crowd at the football game yesterday.

The conference decisions for UConn have been fail on top of fail.

The basketball league is a train wreck. When we trade Louisville and Rutgers for ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane, it will become really bad. Temple will probably be better next year, and Memphis is solid, but Cincinnati is probably not getting better, and SMU has a 73 year old coach. The rest of the league sucks.

UMass and Buffalo should have been added instead of Tulsa and Tulane.

The TV negotiations were a complete failure. There was a Right of First Refusal, and the league pretended there was no problem right up to getting the lowball NBC offer. There will probably never be a better market to sell TV rights than last year, and now the American is locked into a long term disastrous deal with a network, ESPN, that has been incredibly damaging for the remaining BE schools. The league actually had some things going for it on the football side, but that was all wasted.

No one likes to hear this, but no part of our current situation is remotely sustainable. It will not be long before those at the state and on the BOT start asking why we are pouring millions into an athletic program that has no viable path to recouping any of the investment. The school has to do something, anything.

I think the league has to go back to ESPN and tell them they need to do better. Companies do it all the time in the real world, and it would not be unreasonable for the AAC to go back and tell ESPN that they either need to come up with more cash or the league will start to come apart. Why should the AAC member schools continue to invest in their athletic programs if the major customer, ESPN, is not willing to pay them for it? You can't fight the market. If the league is really only worth $2MM a year, then they need to restructure their athletic departments to be $2MM a year athletic departments.

If we think that the ESPN contract is fair for UConn, then we are not realistic candidates for the Big 10 or ACC and we should re-evaluate all of our athletic spending. If we think we are wildly underpriced (which I do), then what are we doing selling our TV content for $2MM a year? There must be some way (getting more from ESPN for AAC, Independence + BE for hoops, form new league, something) that will generate enough money for UConn to keep us competitive. Doing nothing is guaranteed failure.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

The basketball league is a train wreck. When we trade Louisville and Rutgers for ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane, it will become really bad. Temple will probably be better next year, and Memphis is solid, but Cincinnati is probably not getting better, and SMU has a 73 year old coach. The rest of the league sucks.

The TV negotiations were a complete failure. There was a Right of First Refusal, and the league pretended there was no problem right up to getting the lowball NBC offer. There will probably never be a better market to sell TV rights than last year, and now the American is locked into a long term disastrous deal with a network, ESPN, that wants the league to disappear. The league actually had some things going for it on the football side, but that was all wasted.

No one likes to hear this, but no part of our current situation is remotely sustainable. It will not be long before those at the state and on the BOT start asking why we are pouring millions into an athletic program that has no viable path to recouping any of the investment. The school has to do something, anything.

I think the league has to go back to ESPN and tell them they need to do better. Companies do it all the time in the real world, and it would not be unreasonable for the AAC to go back and tell ESPN that they either need to come up with more cash or the league will start to come apart. Why should the AAC member schools continue to invest in their athletic programs if the major customer, ESPN, is not willing to pay them for it? You can't fight the market. If the league is really only worth $2MM a year, then they need to restructure their athletic departments to be $2MM a year athletic departments.

If we think that the ESPN contract is fair for UConn, then we are not realistic candidates for the Big 10 or ACC and we should re-evaluate all of our athletic spending. If we think we are wildly underpriced (which I do), then what are we doing selling our TV content for $2MM a year? There must be some way (getting more from ESPN for AAC, Independence + BE for hoops, form new league, something) that will generate enough money for UConn to keep us competitive. Doing nothing is guaranteed failure.
Ignore button finally deployed. You are f uckin insufferable.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ECU needed a block at the buzzer tonight to beat...Mount Olive.

Reaction Score
ECU needed a block at the buzzer tonight to beat...Mount Olive.

Hmmm, interesting. I bet Duke would struggle mightily with Mt. Olive.

The impressive thing about Nelson's post is he laments the loss of Rutgers basketball. So do 124 people in New Jersey.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The impressive thing about Nelson's post is he laments the loss of Rutgers basketball. So do 124 people in New Jersey.

The hilarious part of this post was the blatant over-exaggeration.....there is no way that Rutgers found 124 people to watch their bball team!!! :eek:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hmmm, interesting. I bet Duke would struggle mightily with Mt. Olive.

The unimpressive thing about your post is that you grossly misstate one small aspect of my post because you are unable to engage rationally.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Which post proved my math wrong? Your explanation will be useless, so just copy the post. Thanks.

Nice try. While I shouldn't feed your stupidity, I'll take the bait.

1) Big 12 - .6096
2) Big Ten - .5972
3) Big East - .5923
4) Pac 12 - .5735
5) Atlantic 10 - .5561
6) Missouri Valley - .5452
7) ACC - .5444
8) West Coast - .5403
9) American Athletic - .5359
10) SEC - .5337
11) Horizon -.5287
12) MWC - 5211

There was some debate over how big a gap there would be between the AAC and the Big East. Now we have some data that proves definitively that the gap between the two leagues is huge. And imagine how big the gap would be if UConn would in the Big East instead of the AAC.

Essentially everyone else in this thread told you that, essentially, RPI was useless at the time you posted this. Lo and behold, the AAC's conf RPI has bounced around about 8 spots since your post. Amazing how you chime back in when it went back to 9, from 5. Still proves you wrong - the sample size isn't big enough.

Also, the whole premise of your post is wrong, too, looking at the meager sample. The AAC's biggest issue at moment is a HORRENDOUS (18) OOC SOS, not a performance issue. The top 8 RPI leagues take values from 1-9 in the OOC SOS ranking. The AAC is actually doing quite well in RPI, given the horrid SOS rating. You can nitpick to try and suit your argument, but there is no way, in terms of conference, that we'll dig out of 18, even with UConn's fairly good OOC SOS.

Reaction Score
nelson is absolutely right about one thing. The AAC is going to be an awful league after this year. UConn is going to suffer for it, too come tournament time. What he misses is that the Big East is going to be pretty weak as well. Cincinnati is what Cincinnati is. They and Temple are similar 2nd tier powers most years. Memphis is in many respects the big winner since they get to play some actual teams twice a year. I think their days of finishing 30-2 are over but they will have better teams and more respect. SMU, Tulane, Houston, and the rest are awful and don't much care. They have no fans, no local support and they likely won't win.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

The TV negotiations were a complete failure. There was a Right of First Refusal, and the league pretended there was no problem right up to getting the lowball NBC offer. There will probably never be a better market to sell TV rights than last year, and now the American is locked into a long term disastrous deal with a network, ESPN, that has been incredibly damaging for the remaining BE schools. The league actually had some things going for it on the football side, but that was all wasted.

Football Attendance
Were you thereon Saturday? I had a great time at the tailgate and the game. Attendance was certainly lacking, but that is their loss. I thought those who were there were louder than a full stadium at times. It's tough to look down on fans who choose against 2 teams with a combined 5 wins in windy sub-freezing temperatures in early December. Can't say it was a MAC crowd, though. 17K where in the stands on Saturday for the above referenced 5 combined win teams. Barely 21,000 where in Detroit on Friday...For the best two teams in the MAC and both were within reasonable driving distance.
Not that they ever really were, but UConn can no longer (and probably never should again) profess to have the best student section in the country. Yes Finals start today and the weekend was probably they 2 day grace period, so to waste one of the days at the stadium in the above conditions, when they can listen in the background is probably the wrong move for many student ticket holders.

Basketball Line up
No matter what conference UConn is in, they will never be second rate. IT does not matter what you say about RPI or TV Money. UConn continues to recruit very strong and an increase in the quality of the OOC is forthcoming.

Rutgers hasn't had a winning basketball record since 2006. Why are they any sort of standard let alone a gold standard. Jeff Lebo has a ECU on a more than decent track. His team went 24-12 last year and are 7-2 so far this year, albeit a pretty weak OOC, but what are you gonna do? You play the teams on your schedule.

ROI
UConn Enrollment Surging As Trustees Consider $1.1 Billion Budget

June 25, 2013|By RICK GREEN, The Hartford Courant
Look at the enrollment growth at UConn over the last two decades.
UConn will have a projected enrollment of 30,240 next year — that’s an increase of nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students since 1995. Meanwhile, the number of freshman applications has grown by 190 percent since 1995.

This, adding 165 new teaching and research faculty while maintaining their USN&WR ranking is a nice return on investment, no?

Renegotiation
Both sides need to be amenable to it or there must be an out clause. Failing that, it is what it is. UConn either rides it out, or they work behind the scenes to improve exposure and conference affiliation. If anyone thinks that they are not doing everything they can to do exactly that is not paying attention. It's not in the public eye and that's a good thing...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is doing everything in its power to get more revenue. I think our leadership dislikes upsetting the applecart, which always makes UConn the easiest school to say no to. I think the AAC should be actively exploring alternative structures right now, including dissolving the AAC and voiding the ESPN contract.

We are taking a revenue hit going forward because the TV deal, NCAA tournament units, and bowl money will all be a lot less going forward than they were in the past. Going with the flow is the wrong way to act right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
On my phone, so hard to type.

Boise and BYU thought outside the box. TheBig East thought outside the box. they came up with viable long term solutions. UConn is thinking inside the box.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You have no idea (no noe really does...except UConn Insider). Stop posturing like you do.

Reaction Score
Ill be more worried about our RPI in February and our record over the last 10 games than anything else right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I dont have much in the way of inside information beyond what was shared on this board. I do know that a top public university academically that has a lot of hardware and good geography is on the outside looking in. We are doing something wrong.

I prefer this perspective to the alternative, which is that Herbst has played her cards right and still lost. if that is the case, we are in big trouble.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
And again, you stop talking about RPI. Amazing...

Reaction Score
The real problem is that this conference has some awful teams and will have some even worse ones in the years ahead. Houston is a bad basketball team. Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina are really bad basketball teams. Rutgers bad. and we'll likely have to play each one at least once and some twice.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Why do you even root for UCONN with all your negativity about the conference and everything else. Man you are a bitter person who needs a vacation from this to get your self together

Reaction Score
The real problem is that this conference has some awful teams and will have some even worse ones in the years ahead. Houston is a bad basketball team. Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina are really bad basketball teams. Rutgers bad. and we'll likely have to play each one at least once and some twice.

That really bad East Carolina basketball team lost to Duke by 9 in Durham. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom