RPI Ratings for Conferences through 11/28 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

RPI Ratings for Conferences through 11/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone here was disagreeing with Nelson, so why suddenly insert politics...so there can be even more disagreement about something irrelevant to this board?

Reaction Score
But that's revenue, as opposed to TV money.

I did find it interesting that 32% of the ACC's income is from bball.

Even at UConn, however, where bball gets great TV ratings, the football revenue for the school is at least the equal to bball revenue.

I believe I mentioned the article "details revenue". The following article is couple of years old, but puts the Football out in front of MBB in terms of revenue. Maybe it's changed but I can't imagine the proportions changing that much. What's interesting is that the women's revenue is over $10M and is as high or higher than every mens team in the ACC, aside from Duke and UNC (per previous article, which doesn't include Syracuse and PITT). The only caveat is that the ACC typical nets more profit.

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/UConn-data-shows-football-two-basketball-2405962.php

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The basketball vs. football revenue arguments are meaningless now since all the all-sports conferences sell their media rights on a consolidated basis.

Conference realignment is not solely driven by football. If that was the case, then why were Colorado, Maryland and Rutgers among the winners? Nebraska is the only example I see where football was the primary driving factor. For the rest of the schools, including UConn, they are where they are because of markets, or in our case, the threat we posed to Boston College.

It is interesting that if UConn's athletic program eventually is as seriously impaired as most of us fear, will the state do anything to the primary, and in essence, only culprit for that result. Universities can fight dirty over research dollars and talent, but I can not recall another example where one university could potentially be successful in destroying another school's athletic program.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It always amazes me when people think they can have a rational debate with Nelson on here.

Here is the standard outline of a Nelson thread:

- Nelson starts thread with controversial topic
- innocent poster responds with reasonable pushback
- Nelson believes he has a victim in his web and responds with condescending over the top non fact based statements
- victim responds stronger with more facts thinking this will help their argument (fool)
- Nelson launches his secret weapon...the personal attack...which spins the thread into a new direction and distracts everyone from his initial poorly thought out point.
- victim vows to never be sucked into another pointless Nelson debate
- rinse...repeat

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Math must be hard for Shaky, because my entire first post was numbers.

Who has responded with facts? Math is the core of this debate, so there should be a fact based way to rebut my assertion if I am wrong.

Most of this thread is really just:

a) a large percentage of posters refuse to give the catholic schools a shred of credit for anything (See upstater).
B) people angry about the conference situation and taking it out on me.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Who has responded with facts? Math is the core of this debate, so there should be a fact based way to rebut my assertion if I am wrong.

a) a large percentage of posters refuse to give the catholic schools a shred of credit for anything (See upstater).

You didn't follow my process flow....I didn't say your first post didn't contain numbers.

But...you did pull out your secret weapon "Math must be hard for Shaky"....the personal attack..well done!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You didn't follow my process flow....I didn't say your first post didn't contain numbers.

But...you did pull out your secret weapon "Math must be hard for Shaky"....the personal attack..well done!

Nelson thinks that DePaul is better than Duke. They must be - their RPI is higher.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

No, the "core of this debate" is that your math has been proven wrong, so you've moved on to everything but RPI in this discussion.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Here are facts for you (which have been stated ad naseum):
Your entire first post referenced 1) a tiny small sample size of 2) incomplete information.

Massaged just right and given an intended context, you can spin numbers to represent anything you please. Ever hear of Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics?
It's like saying that Michael Jordan was a terrible basketball player because he missed 9,000 shots.

Reaction Score

Credit for what? CR is being driven by football, and the catholic schools don't have football. The goal is to get into a P5 conference and the best way to do that is put the football team in the best position possible; the other sports will just have to follow.

If the other sports join the catholic schools where does the football team go?
Has any conference offered to take just the football team? If not then that clearly isn't an option.
Do you want the football team to go independent? Very few schools can go independent and make it. Notre Dame obviously, BYU and to some extent the Service Academies. There may be some others, but UConn isn't one of them.

If UConn goes independent in football they will have a hard time:
- getting on national TV
- recruiting outside of NE (which isn't that strong of a recruiting ground).
- scheduling
At least in the AAC UConn has conference opponents to schedule, a national TV contract and exposure in recruiting rich states like Texas and Florida.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson thinks that DePaul is better than Duke. They must be - their RPI is higher.

When you have to claim I said something when I in fact said EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, you have lost the argument.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, the "core of this debate" is that your math has been proven wrong, so you've moved on to everything but RPI in this discussion.

Which post proved my math wrong? Your explanation will be useless, so just copy the post. Thanks.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here are facts for you (which have been stated ad naseum):
Your entire first post referenced 1) a tiny small sample size of 2) incomplete information.

Massaged just right and given an intended context, you can spin numbers to represent anything you please. Ever hear of Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics?
It's like saying that Michael Jordan was a terrible basketball player because he missed 9,000 shots.

What numbers am I spinning? The AAC is the 7th best conference as of right now, and most of the OOC is behind us. If you pulled UConn's numbers out of the AAC (which anyone that has performed comparative analysis would do), the AAC would probably not be in the Top 10.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi

It is amazing that this board argues the obviously false premise that the AAC is just as good as the Big East, when there are other, less idiotic, arguments to make.

Reaction Score
What numbers am I spinning? The AAC is the 7th best conference as of right now, and most of the OOC is behind us. If you pulled UConn's numbers out of the AAC (which anyone that has performed comparative analysis would do), the AAC would probably not be in the Top 10.

It is amazing that this board argues the obviously false premise that the AAC is just as good as the Big East, when there are other, less idiotic, arguments to make.

It's obvious now that you're making stuff up simply to garner attention. I don't recall anyone suggesting that the AAC was better than NBE, but rather that it is essentially irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

The two points that have been successfully argued, which run contrary to your original post are:

1.) Using RPI data in November is virtually useless and silly.
2.) For now, as much as it may disappoint, UCONN in the AAC is the right choice—both financially and strategically.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
When you have to claim I said something when I in fact said EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, you have lost the argument.

In fact, you exact quote was "DePaul is better than Duke. Look at the RPI"

I cut and pasted it from your post to make sure I got it right.

Reaction Score
Wooo Hooo...I watched the UNC game as the Tar Heels put down #1 Sparty..and I am not a BB fan.

Watched Mizzou and WVU as well....I might get into this BB thing yet.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Both 1) and 2) from my last post. I am not inclined to repost it, but you're free to scroll up and re-read. Review three times for maximum comprehension.

That is all. Dismissed, you have homework to do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In fact, you exact quote was "DePaul is better than Duke. Look at the RPI"

I cut and pasted it from your post to make sure I got it right.

I never said that.

Reaction Score
Lucky for us, we're getting rid of Rutgers and Louisville. Rutgers sucks and Louisville -- with it's 122 ranked RPI -- is really weighing our conference RPI down as well!

Without those two teams, our conference RPI would be .565 (up from .551), within .003 of the ACC (adjusted to include Louisville).

So clearly, the RPI numbers prove our new basketball league is as good as the ACC going forward! (Or, just maybe, RPI measures aren't worth a hill of beans this early in the season and league RPI "averages" aren't actually precise measurements of anything).

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I never said that.

It's an exact (cut and pasted) quote.

Are you suggesting someone logged into your account and just started posting stupid stuff? How are we supposed to tell which stupid stuff is yours and which stupid stuff is the hacker?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's an exact (cut and pasted) quote.

Are you sugesting someone logged into your account and just started posting stupid stuff? How are we supposed to tell which stupid stuff is yours and which stupid stuff is the hacker?
Our posts have date and time stamps. Please provide the date and time for the post in which i claimed Depaul is better than Duke.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Our posts have date and time stamps. Please provide the date and time for the post in which i claimed Depaul is better than Duke.

Stop changing the subject.

How are we supposed to know what stupid posts are from you and what stupid posts are from the hacker using your account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom