Round 1: UConn vs. UNH March 6-8 | The Boneyard

Round 1: UConn vs. UNH March 6-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn vs. New Hampshire starts March 6 at 7 pm at the Whittemore Center.

Will UConn be able to adapt to the bigger ice surface? Can they keep in check the speed and skill UNH possesses? A lot will have to change from two weeks ago.

Round 1 Hockley East Matchup

First Round Byes: 1. Boston University, 2. Providence, 3. Boston College, 4. UMass-Lowell

First Round Series

12. UMass @ 5. Notre Dame

11. Merrimack @ 6. Northeastern

10. Maine @ 7. Vermont

9. UConn @ 8. New Hampshire

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/022815aaa.html

Game one in the best-of-three series is slated for Friday night, March 6th at 7:00 pm. Game two will be played on Saturday, March 7th at 7:00 pm and game three, if necessary, will be played on Sunday, March 8th at 4:00 pm. All three games will be held at the Whittemore Center on the UNH campus.

All three games will be broadcast live on WHUS 91.7 FM and will also be video streamed online by the Pack Network and HockeyEastOnline.TV. Fans will be able to purchase a Men's Tournament All-Access Pass for $59.95 (up to 20 men's games from the first round and quarterfinals) and single game subscriptions will be available for $9.95.

Reaction Score
Generally, one game is picked up by NESN in the weekend, I'd guess it'd be UNH-UConn, since NESN won't want to go to Burlington or South Bend, and ratings of this game would be far better than Merrimack-Northeastern who both have no fans.

Tough matchup for UConn, UNH is playing excellent hockey right now. They've finally started to get strong goaltending, their biggest crutch earlier in the year, to go with their already talented forwards. Nichols is going to have to steal two to get past this round. My guess is the winner of this series gets BU because UMass and Merrimack are going nowhere and Maine's too weak offensively to get past UVM. Frankly, I wouldn't be a fan of either UNH or a streaking UConn in the QFs for BU.

Reaction Score
And just as I say that, my guess appears to be wrong, NESN is showing NU-Merrimack. They love to be lazy and not send their trucks anywhere.

Reaction Score
Generally, one game is picked up by NESN in the weekend, I'd guess it'd be UNH-UConn, since NESN won't want to go to Burlington or South Bend, and ratings of this game would be far better than Merrimack-Northeastern who both have no fans.

Did you go to the Beanpot? :)

NESN uses google maps from their office and picks the shortest drive. Every. Single. Time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn vs. New Hampshire starts March 6 at 7 pm at the Whittemore Center.

Will UConn be able to adapt to the bigger ice surface? Can they keep in check the speed and skill UNH possesses? A lot will have to change from two weeks ago.

In 1980, the USSR whooped the US team at MSG two weeks before they played them when it's counted. And, before you ask...yes.

Reaction Score
Did you go to the Beanpot? :)

NESN uses google maps from their office and picks the shortest drive. Every. Single. Time.
Yeah, I know...it was late last night, wasn't thinking straight.

Reaction Score

Tough matchup for UConn, UNH is playing excellent hockey right now. They've finally started to get strong goaltending, their biggest crutch earlier in the year, to go with their already talented forwards. Nichols is going to have to steal two to get past this round. My guess is the winner of this series gets BU because UMass and Merrimack are going nowhere and Maine's too weak offensively to get past UVM. Frankly, I wouldn't be a fan of either UNH or a streaking UConn in the QFs for BU.
Nichols cant let in 10 goals this weekend coming up like he did two weekends ago against UNH. But on the other hand UCONN has to score more than 2 goals during the weekend to take some pressure off the goalie.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nichols cant let in 10 goals this weekend coming up like he did two weekends ago against UNH. But on the other hand UCONN has to score more than 2 goals during the weekend to take some pressure off the goalie.

So you are saying, score more and allow UNH to score less? This is indeed a novel approach. I am fairly sure that no team in any sport has tried it. :) I'm hoping for a decent showing. Proud of this first HE season so far.

Reaction Score
So you are saying, score more and allow UNH to score less? This is indeed a novel approach. I am fairly sure that no team in any sport has tried it. :) I'm hoping for a decent showing. Proud of this first HE season so far.
Wow. That IS a good strategy! He must be a coach. Or an analyst on the FAN.

Reaction Score
What would be more miraculous? UConn beating UNH now or the US beating the USSR in 1980?

Reaction Score
Wow. That IS a good strategy! He must be a coach. Or an analyst on the FAN.

As Andre' Lacroix once said; " You know Chuck, d whalers are going to have to score more goals than d Nordique if d whalers want to win d game".

Reaction Score
What would be more miraculous? UConn beating UNH now or the US beating the USSR in 1980?
Not even close. UNH has been playing well, but they're a beatable team. Their defense is weak and goaltending is generally unproven. If UConn can slip a few goals past Tirone and icebus the crap out of UNH, they can steal a game or two.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony‏@ManthonyCourant 17m17 minutes ago

@UConnMHOC D Johnny Austin, who has missed last 10 games (finger), will return to back line in Game 1 vs. UNH, Joona Kunnas will play wing.

Mike Anthony‏@ManthonyCourant 12m12 minutes ago

@UConnMHOC lines vs. UNH will be similar to to UMass game: Ojantakanen back in (hip); Decision on final F spot: Golonka, Norris or Wight.

Reaction Score
Series Preview

You can tell by captain Ryan Tyson's tone and sound bite the team means business. You can hear why Cavanaugh says Tyson is one of the best captains he has been around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
B_ctBdfUYAEl5OA.png

Reaction Score
Unfortunate result, UNH is playing excellent hockey right now, seems this was a terrible draw for UConn.

Meanwhile the dumpster fire UMass team that rolled into XL last week is currently tied OT at South Bend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UMass wins 4-3 in 5!!!OTs longest game in college hockey history as the ND radio announcer mentioned over and over, ridiculous.
I kept thinking I should buy the $9.95 video feed but knew if I did someone would score the second I clicked place order.

Reaction Score
0-0 End of 2nd. Nichols is standing on his head... again. He's the only reason it's scoreless.

UNH had four power plays in the second period alone.

Shots: 30-9 UNH

UConn had 3 shots on goal in the second period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom