Roster make-up and recruiting for 2017 and beyond | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Roster make-up and recruiting for 2017 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're already phasing out a senior who has a solid motor and can has been a part of our system for years to make room for freshmen? Got to love The Boneyard.

For the record, if Rodney and DHam are still here (I think they will be) I expect @upstater to be right on this. Diarra and Jackson will get some spot minutes, and I'm sure they'll get some burn, but they're not playing in positions of high need for this team. Hamilton, Purvis, Larrier, Enoch, Facey are all in those slots already.

Apparently, stating the obvious is now controversial.

Reaction Score
I'm curious about this opinion and also Larrier in general.

I think Miller will be a big loss.

Miller is averaging about 13ppg and 5rpg in 26min, while Larrier averaged 6.6ppg and 3rpg over 18.5mpg.

So adjusted, Larrier is up to approx. (sorry, math folks) 9ppg 4rpg over 26mpg.

Those numbers are pretty close and we can assume that Larrier's numbers will get better, right?

The one big difference I see in their stats is that Miller has a much better fg%.

I guess I wanted to know why people aren't more excited about Larrier.

I think it's because many of us perceive Larrier as not being a back to the basket player. I don't think I envision him posting up.

Reaction Score
Its probably a good thing that many are taking a wait and see approach with lower expectations. Things are better this way as we'ld rather be surprised instead of expecting a Ferrari.

You speak for the minority! :)

Reaction Score
I never said he will be better, as good, etc. am merely pointing out that Miller is leaving, Larrier is playing.
No I know. Wasn't attempting to call you out. Just really think the board as a whole is overhyping Larrier/underestimating the loss of Miller

Reaction Score
You're out of your depth little boy.
Well I'm interacting with you, and you have no depth, so I don't think that's possible.

Do you have anymore of your awesome insight, like Kevin McHale played better in a finals series than Larry Bird did at any point in the 80's, or James Worthy is a better player than Scottie Pippen? I could use some more laughs.

Reaction Score
I guess I wanted to know why people aren't more excited about Larrier.

I actually think a lot of people's expectations of him (here on the Boneyard) are a bit too high. He's rail thin and he shot a frightening 26% from three and 34% overall from the field last year. So he was not a good shooter or much of a post player either. He's a serious tweener. With that said, I am happy to have him. He's long and athletic. If he shows a decent handle and can develop a jumper I think he could be very good. I just think people should temper their expectations a bit.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
40 bucks.

When we make it to second weekend expect a gofundme page

Reaction Score
Any idea what's going on in Westwood?

Daddyball, not the only culprit since UCLA doesn't play a lick of defense, but Alford has pretty much let his son have free reign to launch whatever and play the most minutes out of anyone. Gonna be really interesting to see how things shake out once Lonzo Ball arrives next year, the ball should be in his hands from Day 1.

Reaction Score
So Hamilton and Adams mission over the summer is outside shooting, they should take 1000 shots a day.

Reaction Score
Larrier will be no where near as good as Shonn Miller. Two things about next year, I've said this on other threads but ease the expectations on Larrier before he actually steps on the court for us. And second, Miller will be missed tremendously. He is the best all around player on this team and I think people are really underestimating the loss of him next season.
Miller missed for sure and the hardest position to fill. Best player on the team: Hamilton and it isn't close.

Reaction Score
Missed tremendously? He will be missed but tremendously? I love Miller but come on. Players like that are replaced every year in college basketball. Kemba was missed tremendously. Shabazz was missed tremendously. Ray was missed tremendously. Rip was missed tremendously.

I just don't get any negative thoughts about next years roster if Hamilton is back. That is a team good enough to get to Glendale, AZ. We return our best point guard, our best wing forward, and our best defensive shot blocker and 4 starters off an NCAA team. And there is no way Adams and Hamilton aren't better and more consistent next year.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Daddyball, not the only culprit since UCLA doesn't play a lick of defense, but Alford has pretty much let his son have free reign to launch whatever and play the most minutes out of anyone. Gonna be really interesting to see how things shake out once Lonzo Ball arrives next year, the ball should be in his hands from Day 1.
Just had lunch with a friend who works at FoxSports, and is a UCLA grad. He's the most positive person I know, and he's absolutely miserable about that team and Alford specifically (the old man, not the kid). He's very plugged into the program, and says his point of view is the most common one.

The feeling in the fanbase is that the coach is not a coach. There's definitely enough talent there to be a top 15 team, but nobody has any confidence that it'll be deployed properly.

Reaction Score
I actually am optimistic on Facey. Maybe a Hilton-lite jump into his senior year? Perhaps 1/2 Hilton unit (Mojo?!)

Hilton as a Junior had this per game stat line.
12 minutes, 3.8 pts, 3.4 rebounds, 0.6 assists, 1.2 blocks, 51% FG%, 2.6 attempts a game

As a senior

27.7 minutes, 9.7 pts, 6.6 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 3.1 blocks, 61% FG%, 5.7 attempts a game

Facey this year

12.9 minutes, 3.2 pts, 3.7 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 0.9 blocks, 59% FG%, on 2.3 attempts a game

I dunno. I occasionally see flashes from him that makes me think he would do well playing 25-28 minutes a game. Sometimes I think its a confidence issue with him.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Just had lunch with a friend who works at FoxSports, and is a UCLA grad. He's the most positive person I know, and he's absolutely miserable about that team and Alford specifically (the old man, not the kid). He's very plugged into the program, and says his point of view is the most common one.

The feeling in the fanbase is that the coach is not a coach. There's definitely enough talent there to be a top 15 team, but nobody has any confidence that it'll be deployed properly.
That was a terrible hire. And it was clear from the start that it was a terrible hire. It's UCLA, can't you get it right?

Reaction Score
That was a terrible hire. And it was clear from the start that it was a terrible hire. It's UCLA, can't you get it right?
They thought they'd get Stevens or Smart, and when neither bit, they freaked.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They thought they'd get Stevens or Smart, and when neither bit, they freaked.
Yup. And consensus among the fanbase is that they're stuck with him at least until 2018, and possibly longer.

No idea who they'd turn to at that point, but it's pretty grim in Westwood. Watching that program unravel should be a "counter your blessings" moment for UConn fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom