Roster make-up and recruiting for 2017 and beyond | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Roster make-up and recruiting for 2017 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, he's transferring. Only seen him a few times, but it looks like he can toggle between SG and SF pretty readily.

Doesn't seem to have the vision that his brothers did, going by his raw assists and APG totals, and doesn't seem to be a dead-eye shooter. I doubt he would start, and I doubt he wants to go to a place where he wouldn't start, so...
those underhand fts tho...

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Purvis is going to start next year as a starter. So are Brimah, Hamilton and Adams. If Gilbert pushes someone to the bench as the season prgresses more power to him, but that will have as much to do with team chemistry as individual talent.

The single key to next year will be the same single key to this year -- can Brimah be a beast for 32 minutes a game staying healthy and staying out of foul trouble. We know he can change games on D at his best, and we've seen more rebounding lately. I still think there is a huge upside that needs nothing more than consistency and avoiding fouls.

I expect Hamilton to be back, but I'm not shocked if he leaves either. We all know that the reality of one's NBA prospects is often less than the picture of the prospects being painted by one's hanger ons.

Purvis is going to start because he is the best defensive player on the team.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
I agree with you, and it became somewhat evident that maybe another year for DeAndre would have been better for him, but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that DHam will absolutely be back next year
Lmfaooo your avi. So good

Reaction Score
To play the 2 guard Adams needs to work on his shot all summer. Let's see if he devotes that level of commitment - it would be great if he did.

Or how about you 2 throw the breaks on and acknowledge that JA should probably continue what he's already proven he's good at, which is playing PG.

Reaction Score
While I do like the fact that our recruiting class is ranked so high, almost everyone coming in except for Alterique is going to be glued to the bench. They will not provide immediate support to next year's team. In other words, I don't expect Vance and Diarra to play much at all. Durham will probably redshirt. Next year's team is essentially this year's team + Alterique + Larrier and - (Shonn + Sterling) with a lot of improvement from Adams.
How are people constantly wrong yet still think they can predict how the future will play out? Weird.

Reaction Score
How are people constantly wrong yet still think they can predict how the future will play out? Weird.

I would say your expectations are wildly out of line if you believe Diarra and Vance Jackson are going to be key contributors next year. Crazy.

caw

Reaction Score
I would say your expectations are wildly out of line if you believe Diarra and Vance Jackson are going to be key contributors next year. Crazy.

A lot will depend on lineups, how players improve and how players are positioned but UConn will probably need one of the two to at least get regular spot minutes bc of foul trouble. Without them I think the minutes go something like:

Adams 28 MPG
Purvis 28 MPG
Hamilton 30 MPG
Facey 26 MPG
Brimah 26 MPG

Larrier 28 MPG
Gilbert 20 MPG
Enoch 14 MPG

But any foul trouble and one of Jackson or Diarra will be forced to play. My guess is they play similar minutes to what Enoch did this year. Jackson could be a wild card if his shooting is a) as good as people say and b) it is needed. Diarra similarly if bulk is needed. Assuming Durham red shirts and Cassell gets spot minutes again. All bets are off when UConn wins it all again this year.

Reaction Score
A lot will depend on lineups, how players improve and how players are positioned but UConn will probably need one of the two to at least get regular spot minutes bc of foul trouble. Without them I think the minutes go something like:

Adams 28 MPG
Purvis 28 MPG
Hamilton 30 MPG
Facey 26 MPG
Brimah 26 MPG

Larrier 28 MPG
Gilbert 20 MPG
Enoch 14 MPG

But any foul trouble and one of Jackson or Diarra will be forced to play. My guess is they play similar minutes to what Enoch did this year. Jackson could be a wild card if his shooting is a) as good as people say and b) it is needed. Diarra similarly if bulk is needed. Assuming Durham red shirts and Cassell gets spot minutes again. All bets are off when UConn wins it all again this year.

Right. That's what I wrote originally. This is what the previous poster objected to. Cassell, Diarra and Jackson are going to be the 9-10-11 players, but they will not be big contributors. This team next year is going to have a similar cast of characters (hopefully) with Alterique replacing Gibbs and Larrier replacing Shonn Miller (and hopefully everyone else improving).

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Omar's time for Vance? Or heavy doses of Purv/Adams/Gilbert.

Reaction Score
You and I both have zero clue how much/little any of the freshman will play next year. The difference is, out of the two of us, I'm the only one who's aware of that.

Reaction Score
Right. That's what I wrote originally. This is what the previous poster objected to. Cassell, Diarra and Jackson are going to be the 9-10-11 players, but they will not be big contributors. This team next year is going to have a similar cast of characters (hopefully) with Alterique replacing Gibbs and Larrier replacing Shonn Miller (and hopefully everyone else improving).
Larrier will be no where near as good as Shonn Miller. Two things about next year, I've said this on other threads but ease the expectations on Larrier before he actually steps on the court for us. And second, Miller will be missed tremendously. He is the best all around player on this team and I think people are really underestimating the loss of him next season.

Reaction Score
Larrier will be no where near as good as Shonn Miller. Two things about next year, I've said this on other threads but ease the expectations on Larrier before he actually steps on the court for us. And second, Miller will be missed tremendously. He is the best all around player on this team and I think people are really underestimating the loss of him next season.

I never said he will be better, as good, etc. am merely pointing out that Miller is leaving, Larrier is playing.

Reaction Score
You and I both have zero clue how much/little any of the freshman will play next year. The difference is, out of the two of us, I'm the only one who's aware of that.

I think perhaps you're the one without a clue here, but thanks for trying. Most of us are aware that a team loaded with returning players at center and PF is going to crowd out an undersized incoming freshman. DHam and Larrier will also see the lion's share of minutes that V Jackson could potentially grab.

The very idea that Vance will be taking minutes from DHam and Larrier is beyond a stretch.

Reaction Score
I think perhaps you're the one without a clue here, but thanks for trying. Most of us are aware that a team loaded with returning players at center and PF is going to crowd out an undersized incoming freshman. DHam and Larrier will also see the lion's share of minutes that V Jackson could potentially grab.

The very idea that Vance will be taking minutes from DHam and Larrier is beyond a stretch.
It's amazing that almost everything you post on this site is idiotic considering you can see the future and know how everything is going to play out in advance.

Reaction Score
I'd be much more in favor, especially early in the year, of phasing out Facey to play kids like Vance, Mamadou, or Enoch and hopefully see what they can do for us. I think Vance could spread the floor and really play well with an Adams/Gilbert guard combo. Mamadou is undersized, and struggles offensively, while Enoch is a huge body who strives on the boards and offensively, together they could be a good 4/5 set especially in the future if not next year. To say these freshman aren't gonna do anything is crazy, Cassell should see the court.

Reaction Score
I'd be much more in favor, especially early in the year, of phasing out Facey to play kids like Vance, Mamadou, or Enoch and hopefully see what they can do for us. I think Vance could spread the floor and really play well with an Adams/Gilbert guard combo. Mamadou is undersized, and struggles offensively, while Enoch is a huge body who strives on the boards and offensively, together they could be a good 4/5 set especially in the future if not next year. To say these freshman aren't gonna do anything is crazy, Cassell should see the court.
We're already phasing out a senior who has a solid motor and can has been a part of our system for years to make room for freshmen? Got to love The Boneyard.

For the record, if Rodney and DHam are still here (I think they will be) I expect @upstater to be right on this. Diarra and Jackson will get some spot minutes, and I'm sure they'll get some burn, but they're not playing in positions of high need for this team. Hamilton, Purvis, Larrier, Enoch, Facey are all in those slots already.

Reaction Score
We're already phasing out a senior who has a solid motor and can has been a part of our system for years to make room for freshmen? Got to love The Boneyard.

For the record, if Rodney and DHam are still here (I think they will be) I expect @upstater to be right on this. Diarra and Jackson will get some spot minutes, and I'm sure they'll get some burn, but they're not playing in positions of high need for this team. Hamilton, Purvis, Larrier, Enoch, Facey are all in those slots already.
He already saw his minutes decrease by 200+ this year, has been better from the field but really only does one thing well, and thats rebounding. I think all three of the players I mentioned can rebound effectively and bring other things to the table, while also having higher ceilings.

Reaction Score
He already saw his minutes decrease by 200+ this year, has been better from the field but really only does one thing well, and thats rebounding. I think all three of the players I mentioned can rebound effectively and bring other things to the table, while also having higher ceilings.
His minutes declined because of Miller. Miller will be gone, and I don't think Diarra will be able to replicate what Miller brought us--no where near it as freshmen.

Larrier will get burn. Enoch's will also increase. I expect Facey's minutes to be the same here or slightly reduced. Durham, Diarra, and Jackson will largely be learning on the bench.

That changes if we lose Purvis and/or Hamilton, though.

EDIT: I take back the bolded point: Facey will get the same or more, since Enoch will spend more of his time backing up Brimah.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Larrier will be no where near as good as Shonn Miller. .

I'm curious about this opinion and also Larrier in general.

I think Miller will be a big loss.

Miller is averaging about 13ppg and 5rpg in 26min, while Larrier averaged 6.6ppg and 3rpg over 18.5mpg.

So adjusted, Larrier is up to approx. (sorry, math folks) 9ppg 4rpg over 26mpg.

Those numbers are pretty close and we can assume that Larrier's numbers will get better, right?

The one big difference I see in their stats is that Miller has a much better fg%.

I guess I wanted to know why people aren't more excited about Larrier.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I guess I wanted to know why people aren't more excited about Larrier.

Its probably a good thing that many are taking a wait and see approach with lower expectations. Things are better this way as we'ld rather be surprised instead of expecting a Ferrari.

Reaction Score
It's amazing that almost everything you post on this site is idiotic considering you can see the future and know how everything is going to play out in advance.

You're out of your depth little boy.

Reaction Score
To say these freshman aren't gonna do anything is crazy, Cassell should see the court.

1. Enoch isn't a frosh. I listed him in my top 8.
2. I can't understand what you mean by the sentence above. Seems to contradict itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom