Rooting for Penn State.... | The Boneyard

Rooting for Penn State....

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
None of the offending folks are at the school, looking past the outrageous statements made by a couple of BOT members and several PSU "fans" that clearly have no grasp of what happened; I will actually be pulling for the PSU football team this year.
I hope that the core of the team stays and starts to build a new brand at PSU.
Not to rebuild the "JoePa Era", rather to start a new legacy.
I am certain that PSU will lose a few players and will be further hampered by the scholly reductions (and the bowl ban) - but for the players and coaches that stay (and really, only the players and coaches) - I will be listening weekly to see how PSU did in their game.

Reaction Score
If UConn can benefit from PSU's punishment, I hope we do. I would rather see our program rise faster because PSU is down than see PSU bounce back strong. Just being honest.

My hope is we get some players that would have gone there instead. Of course, we still have to beat out SU, BC, Temple, RU etc.

Reaction Score
"several" fans"???

the cult-like mentality of the majority of their fans and the circling of the wagons response tells me that acceptance of how up the situation was/is will never be understood.

i hope for a decade of 4 win seasons.

Reaction Score
None of the offending folks are at the school, looking past the outrageous statements made by a couple of BOT members and several PSU "fans" that clearly have no grasp of what happened; I will actually be pulling for the PSU football team this year.
I hope that the core of the team stays and starts to build a new brand at PSU.
Not to rebuild the "JoePa Era", rather to start a new legacy.
I am certain that PSU will lose a few players and will be further hampered by the scholly reductions (and the bowl ban) - but for the players and coaches that stay (and really, only the players and coaches) - I will be listening weekly to see how PSU did in their game.

When the Penn State fans start chanting "JoPa, JoPa" will you join in?

The problem with Penn State is a culture that put football ahead of everything else (including child rape). These isn't a smidgeon of evidence that has changed.

And you're going to root for that? I think it's misguided.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree that being a PSU fan growing up and having family who are die-hards, yet realize the scope of the whole thing, makes it tough for me but I can't cheer for them and to be honest, I hope they don't come out of this ok for a little while.

On a side note, I was listening to 1410 the day the sanctions were announced and the speaker said that crippling PSU is basically killing Northeast football. I found this an interesting concept. He went on to say that Pitt, RU, BC, and Syracuse won't be able to fill that void and I agree. It found it interesting that he did not mention UConn. Granted I don't think we would fill any void either but it just goes to show that we still have a ways to go to be nationally recognized. I don't know what 1410 has become now that it's not ESPN but it sounded like this was a West Coast broadcast. I was just surprised to hear RU mentioned and not UConn.

Curious though on whether or not PSU being sanctioned and possibly crippled for awhile will truly impact the interest in the Northeast in CFB. I'm talking about the casual fans since I know that there will always be followers of their teams.

Reaction Score
"several" fans"???

the cult-like mentality of the majority of their fans and the circling of the wagons response tells me that acceptance of how up the situation was/is will never be understood.

i hope for a decade of 4 win seasons.

This. It is not "several fans". The reaction from those within PSU tells me the NCAA didn't go nearly far enough.

Reaction Score
Probably open next year with a nice joe pa tribute. Get everyone teary about poor PSU and how they're suffering.

Reaction Score
From ESPN's Big East blog. Is this clown one of the "several fans"? Pretty good response from Adelson as well. I think mattp said it earlier.....PSU is now playing the victim.

Rob in Morristown, N.J., writes: Andrea, I'm not going to hide it, I'm a Penn State alumni, fan and football season ticket holder...but I read your big east blog daily, living the the big east footprint and attending Rutgers games as well. I have to be honest, I was very much disgusted that you posted an article questioning what Penn State players might transfer to Big East Schools...I understand that the NCAA has given the authority to schools to reach out and that some players may decide to play elsewhere, but to actually post an article so soon after the Penn State community was dealt these sanctions (yes its not just the football program being affected) is in poor taste in my opinion, I have to ask the questions...what benefit do you see current Penn State Players being afforded by transferring to a Big East School? Playing in low tier bowl games? OK...Playing for a National Championship? Not a chance, none will be going all the way out to Boise State. Playing in front of 70,000 to 100,000 fan stadiums on national TV each week? Doubtful. Playing in a conference that wishes it was treated like the ACC and had any national relevance? Please explain which schools can still offer the national exposure and Grooming for the NFL by a former NFL Championship Winning Coordinator against top notch competition, week in and week out that Penn State can still offer to these players? You can also throw in which Big East school can (according to USA Today's Nationally recognized "Best College" Rankings) give these players a better educational opportunity. NONE!

Adelson: I am sorry you are disgusted with the blog post. But perhaps you should place your disgust on those who allowed such horrifying crimes to go on for so long without acting. The simple fact is that this became a news story when players were given free cards to transfer. Rather than lash out at me, maybe lash out at the coaches that already have reached out to coach Bill O'Brien about the possibility of player transfers. O'Brien said Wednesday on ESPN Radio that Syracuse coach Doug Marrone is one of them. USC is reportedly making a play at Silas Redd. I don't think there is anything wrong with laying out transfer ground rules and how the Big East may be impacted. I should also tell you that many Big East fans asked about the possibility of landing players, so I decided to answer with one post.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
From ESPN's Big East blog. Is this clown one of the "several fans"? Pretty good response from Adelson as well. I think mattp said it earlier.....PSU is now playing the victim.

Rob in Morristown, N.J., writes: Andrea, I'm not going to hide it, I'm a Penn State alumni, fan and football season ticket holder...but I read your big east blog daily, living the the big east footprint and attending Rutgers games as well. I have to be honest, I was very much disgusted that you posted an article questioning what Penn State players might transfer to Big East Schools...I understand that the NCAA has given the authority to schools to reach out and that some players may decide to play elsewhere, but to actually post an article so soon after the Penn State community was dealt these sanctions (yes its not just the football program being affected) is in poor taste in my opinion, I have to ask the questions...what benefit do you see current Penn State Players being afforded by transferring to a Big East School? Playing in low tier bowl games? OK...Playing for a National Championship? Not a chance, none will be going all the way out to Boise State. Playing in front of 70,000 to 100,000 fan stadiums on national TV each week? Doubtful. Playing in a conference that wishes it was treated like the ACC and had any national relevance? Please explain which schools can still offer the national exposure and Grooming for the NFL by a former NFL Championship Winning Coordinator against top notch competition, week in and week out that Penn State can still offer to these players? You can also throw in which Big East school can (according to USA Today's Nationally recognized "Best College" Rankings) give these players a better educational opportunity. NONE!

Adelson: I am sorry you are disgusted with the blog post. But perhaps you should place your disgust on those who allowed such horrifying crimes to go on for so long without acting. The simple fact is that this became a news story when players were given free cards to transfer. Rather than lash out at me, maybe lash out at the coaches that already have reached out to coach Bill O'Brien about the possibility of player transfers. O'Brien said Wednesday on ESPN Radio that Syracuse coach Doug Marrone is one of them. USC is reportedly making a play at Silas Redd. I don't think there is anything wrong with laying out transfer ground rules and how the Big East may be impacted. I should also tell you that many Big East fans asked about the possibility of landing players, so I decided to answer with one post.

Good for her. That moron who asked the question needs to realize that players do value the post season and this season there will still be a Big East team in a BCS Bowl. Oh and as for his his comment on being groomed by a former NFL coordinator, last I checked Coach P was a coordinator and I bet a lot of players would love to play for established coaches like Charlie Strong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Good post Jimmy. I realize this is one guy, but here you have a guy disgusted by her post. I check BWI daily, to gauge their reaction to all this, and rarely is there a post saying how disgusted they are that Sandusky was allowed to continue his rapes for so long. You will see posts, however calling McQueary a liar, saying Paterno told his superiors, saying Spanier should take the fall for this, that the sanctions were like 9-11, etc. Originally I thought the sanctions were fair. The attitude that seems to be coming from that program now seems like it wasn't nearly harsh enough.

Reaction Score
If UConn can benefit from PSU's punishment, I hope we do. I would rather see our program rise faster because PSU is down than see PSU bounce back strong. Just being honest.

My hope is we get some players that would have gone there instead. Of course, we still have to beat out SU, BC, Temple, RU etc.

Absolutely. These next 4 years are crucial to UConn. Weakening Penn State is an opportunity for UConn (among others) to nail down kids that just wanted to be "another brick" in the Penn State "wall". UConn needs to be a viable alternative destination. They need (perhaps more than any school) capitalize on this opportunity, because when it's over, it's over and Penn State will resume its place as the Beast of Northeast Football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On a side note, I was listening to 1410 the day the sanctions were announced and the speaker said that crippling PSU is basically killing Northeast football. I found this an interesting concept. He went on to say that Pitt, RU, BC, and Syracuse won't be able to fill that void and I agree. It found it interesting that he did not mention UConn. Granted I don't think we would fill any void either but it just goes to show that we still have a ways to go to be nationally recognized. I don't know what 1410 has become now that it's not ESPN but it sounded like this was a West Coast broadcast. I was just surprised to hear RU mentioned and not UConn.

While it may sound like a bumper sticker the answer is "Just Win." We had a bad season last year. Without a 'storied history', that makes us an after thought this year. We don't control the press. We don't control the perceptions of the casual (and not so casual) fan. We certainly don't control ESPN. What we can control is on the field product. Just win and everything else falls into place.

I'll bet that we are back on the radar screen after this season.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. These next 4 years are crucial to UConn. Weakening Penn State is an opportunity for UConn (among others) to nail down kids that just wanted to be "another brick" in the Penn State "wall". UConn needs to be a viable alternative destination. They need (perhaps more than any school) capitalize on this opportunity, because when it's over, it's over and Penn State will resume its place as the Beast of Northeast Football.

You write that as if PSU's major advantage over its northeastern brethren is history. So that the history being interrupted can put us on an even playing field. That's not true. When the punishment is over, PSU will still have far more fans, be a member of the most prestigious conference in the country, and be the flagship university of the state in the region that produces the most big time football players.

Do we have the ability to close the gap short term? Of course we do. And we need to try to have our recruiting benefit from their punishment. But the long term gain from that is going to be relatively minimal.

Reaction Score
Nature abhors a vacuum. With no northeastern powerhouse, why not us?

Reaction Score
Nature abhors a vacuum. With no northeastern powerhouse, why not us?

Depends what you mean by powerhouse? Can we be the best team in the northeast? Of course we can. We were in '09 (despite your views on that year.) And can we change the culture here slowly, over a long period of time? Of course we can do that as well (although there will be limitations in doing that which we didn't face in hoops and don't want to believe are here).

But unless you think these penalties are going to change who PSU is going to be in 2212, which I don't, they are not going to mean much to us long term either. We need to win on the field, build the program and get to a level above Syracuse and Rutgers and BC as programs. PSU is just not the target, not as a football team but as a program, any time soon.

Reaction Score
If I understand correctly, the former President of the school is still a tenured teacher and the pedophile professor who was tried and found not guilty due to statutes of limitations and Maryland laws concerning both parties knowing about wire taps is still there, that doesn't indicate to me a group that gets it.
The it was only a few guys and they're gone does not reflect the "all incomposing" nature of this. It wasn't a few of the folks, it was the President, AD, CFO and head coach. It wasn't hidden, this guy was seen by an assistant coach who then saw this guy for the next 10 years roaming around with little kids.
The "we are Penn State" is just a bit much right know. How about figuring out how your 3 top guys could be there for 15 years and what else they did. Having the attitude that it would be "humane" to let a homosexual pedophile continue to "groom" as long as he had to turn in his Penn State athletic department key is something that shows your "core values".
That assistant coach saw the rape in action did not stop it, make sure the kid was safe and got medical attention - he called his daddy. He then got promoted. He saw Sandusky around on campus with kids. Didn't his father also see him around, what about Paterno? You think the assistant coach never talked to anyone about this, you think no one else had a clue.
Penn State should shut down the football team for 4 years. Having the coach say "most important thing is we keep playing and are on TV"; nah, don't get it.
Hope they go 0 for the decade.

Reaction Score
Depends what you mean by powerhouse? Can we be the best team in the northeast? Of course we can. We were in '09 (despite your views on that year.) And can we change the culture here slowly, over a long period of time? Of course we can do that as well (although there will be limitations in doing that which we didn't face in hoops and don't want to believe are here).

But unless you think these penalties are going to change who PSU is going to be in 2212, which I don't, they are not going to mean much to us long term either. We need to win on the field, build the program and get to a level above Syracuse and Rutgers and BC as programs. PSU is just not the target, not as a football team but as a program, any time soon.

Winning games corrects all the problems that are being discussed. Recruiting, ticket sales, etc. etc. Winning games, a lot of games, creates other problems than what we're discussing, but I'd rather have those problems, than these problems we're discussing.

Reaction Score
You write that as if PSU's major advantage over its northeastern brethren is history. So that the history being interrupted can put us on an even playing field. That's not true. When the punishment is over, PSU will still have far more fans, be a member of the most prestigious conference in the country, and be the flagship university of the state in the region that produces the most big time football players.

Do we have the ability to close the gap short term? Of course we do. And we need to try to have our recruiting benefit from their punishment. But the long term gain from that is going to be relatively minimal.

If history is the only thing that is the difference then UConn will never close the gap on Penn State because the next 4-10 years for them will be the next 4-10 years for the Huskies. Think of it, your father will always have more history than you (talking the collective who in this instance). So does that mean you will never become stronger, or more accomplished or more successful?

College football is not like professional sports where a Florida Marlins can go from expansion team to world champs in 5 years (or Arizona in 3 years) using free agency and a draft. It doesn't work like that in college football. It's all about winning now, conference affiliation, the program's tv exposure, the bells and whistles (stadium, training facilities, etc). And, that all really boils down to the quality of recruiting. The better the recruiting, the better the product on the field, the more wins, the more recognition (tv, bowls, etc), the more recognition the more likely the blue-chip recruits are lining up to wait in a long-line to get on the field. Throw in great facilities and there you have it.

This is that rare opportunity for a program like UConn to close that gap much more quickly than might otherwise happen. Think of it as little brother finally maturing to the point where big brother has his hands filled. Grab off some of those "would-be" Penn Staters (both present Lions and those that had been aspiring to be). Play exciting football, win a whole lot, expand the stadium, be attractive to television and become a place that young athletes want to attend.

Right now UConn's biggest battle is the sorry- state of the Big East - not to mention the uncertainly that surrounds this current state. Who jumps next? Who changes their mind ala TCU?

So if Penn State is on "life support" for the next few years, UConn needs to make inroads on their territory. Time now becomes of the essence.

Reaction Score
If history is the only thing that is the difference then UConn will never close the gap on Penn State because the next 4-10 years for them will be the next 4-10 years for the Huskies. Think of it, your father will always have more history than you (talking the collective who in this instance). So does that mean you will never become stronger, or more accomplished or more successful?

College football is not like professional sports where a Florida Marlins can go from expansion team to world champs in 5 years (or Arizona in 3 years) using free agency and a draft. It doesn't work like that in college football. It's all about winning now, conference affiliation, the program's tv exposure, the bells and whistles (stadium, training facilities, etc). And, that all really boils down to the quality of recruiting. The better the recruiting, the better the product on the field, the more wins, the more recognition (tv, bowls, etc), the more recognition the more likely the blue-chip recruits are lining up to wait in a long-line to get on the field. Throw in great facilities and there you have it.

This is that rare opportunity for a program like UConn to close that gap much more quickly than might otherwise happen. Think of it as little brother finally maturing to the point where big brother has his hands filled. Grab off some of those "would-be" Penn Staters (both present Lions and those that had been aspiring to be). Play exciting football, win a whole lot, expand the stadium, be attractive to television and become a place that young athletes want to attend.

Right now UConn's biggest battle is the sorry- state of the Big East - not to mention the uncertainly that surrounds this current state. Who jumps next? Who changes their mind ala TCU?

So if Penn State is on "life support" for the next few years, UConn needs to make inroads on their territory. Time now becomes of the essence.
We have a very nice program, the only problem is we are missing national titles. UW was able to win, so was Colorado. Utah could have one very recently.

Reaction Score
We have a very nice program, the only problem is we are missing national titles. UW was able to win, so was Colorado. Utah could have one very recently.

So by that line of reasoning ("the only problem . . . no national titles"), UConn is at least as good as the University of Oregon and Virginia Tech and Stanford.

Reaction Score
So by that line of reasoning ("the only problem . . . no national titles"), UConn is at least as good as the University of Oregon and Virginia Tech and Stanford.
That's not bad, at all. All have been in championship games or were in contention of being in one.

Reaction Score
That's not bad, at all. All have been in championship games or were in contention of being in one.

Actually I was being sarcastic ("at least as good as Oregon, et al). Ah, what you miss communication electronically ;) The fact is, UConn is missing quite a bit more than national championships.

Making progress? No doubt. But I felt a lot more optimistic in '07 when Rutgers Rice and Leonard), Louisville (Brohm) and West Virginia (Slaton & White) were keeping the Big East in the the same company as the "big boys". And, again in '09 when the Huskies beat ND and South Carolina. That was awesome. Felt at the time, that this was gonna work. Maybe not as quickly as we all would have liked but . . . Now with the conference BS, it is really discouraging and I think UConn has taken a step back without it being their doing. Sure maybe a better showing against Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl (yo . . . offense score a TD, please!)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Can we be the best team in the northeast? Of course we can. We were in '09 (despite your views on that year.)

Sagarin's computer rankings have us behind Navy, UofL, MD, Pitt, WVU, SU, BC & Penn St that year.

We finished #56, one ahead of NE powerhouse Villanova at #57.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom