Ron Johnson says he is transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ron Johnson says he is transferring

Reaction Score
Ron is a good player. He seems to have gotten what there is to get out of his talent. Moving down a notch and being the guy would be a good move for him.

Reaction Score
Not to worry. With our new staff, I expect them to pull in SEC caliber players at the skill positions right away. :)

Good luck Ron and thanks for the effort.

Reaction Score
Ron looked like he got faster in the spring game but didn't perform as expected. I wish him all the best. I have heard good things about Vickers and Thompson has looked good in spots. Aside from Arkeel the other backs on the 2016 roster are Teddy Allmendiger (FB) Nate Hopkins, Rick Bartone, and Tahj Anthony Wilson. Won't be surprised if we recruit another back before signing day. Another possiblitly is the grad transfer route.

Clemson's Tyshon Dye is transferring and has another year of eligibility. He was a 4 star and has 4.4 speed. He has had some injuries but would be available to play in the fall:

Running back leaves Clemson program

Rhett Lashee may have recruited him at Auburn so who knows??

Tyshon Dye talks Auburn visit - TigerNet.com

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Outside chance he got the word that someone not yet known to the fan base is transferring in. That's always a possibility with any of these guys that decommitted or are transferring out. With the staff coming in I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few pleasant surprises come signing day ;)
He planned to transfer immediately following the season, as did two other guys who expect to play good minutes next season but have since changed their minds with Diaco gone.

Reaction Score
He planned to transfer immediately following the season, as did two other guys who expect to play good minutes next season but have since changed their minds with Diaco gone.

Sorry; if I'm reading that right - there were two players that were going to transfer but after Diaco was fired they decided to stay?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Next Joe Williams? Minus the credit cards

Reaction Score
Next Joe Williams? Minus the credit cards

I think we've seen what RonJon can do plenty. He is not Joe Williams.

Best of luck to the young man, and I would have loved to have seen him come back and given us depth. But he has one year of eligibility left, he is not a game changer and he isn't really a fit for Auburn's offense that requires TBs to hit the LOS quickly.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I think we've seen what RonJon can do plenty. He is not Joe Williams.

Best of luck to the young man, and I would have loved to have seen him come back and given us depth. But he has one year of eligibility left, he is not a game changer and he isn't really a fit for Auburn's offense that requires TBs to hit the LOS quickly.

I'm always hesitant to judge the RB position since, as you note, the scheme (and the performance of the OL) can have such an impact. Certainly the very few touches that Joe Williams got with us weren't particularly memorable. It takes an incredibly special RB to overcome poor blocking and obviously RJ wasn't that.

I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a pretty good season somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Yep, probably has been asked to switch to FB and not interested. I always liked how this kid played, however I'm also excited for Hopkins, Vickers and to make room for these other RBs we are pursuing like Blackshear, Scott, Mensah, etc.

I hope your coaches do whatever they can to land Blackshear. This kid is really, really good and would likely have many more top offers if he was a little bit bigger.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My dream list is fluid of course, but right now its Blackshear, Ryan Glover and Pindell. Can't wait to learn of the first Team Edsall commit to get things going.

Btw, according to Rivals, they have 5 QBs coming in this year including CJ Lewis.

Reaction Score
Seemed like a good positive guy but little slow and except for occasionally blasting a db he went down too easy for a power back. Whether he redshirted somewhere or drops to FCS wish him luck playing and getting his degree.

Reaction Score
Sorry; if I'm reading that right - there were two players that were going to transfer but after Diaco was fired they decided to stay?

I read it as the reverse. More transfers coming, possibly among key contributors.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Good luck to Ron Jon. The way the previous staff utilized him was criminal - 3rd down back, gave him the ball when everyone knew we would run, etc. That being said- he didn't bowl over tacklers and wasn't shifty enough to make them miss. Not a great pass catcher and I don't blame him for not hitting holes with the o lines he ran behind. My biggest takeaway for him as a tailback was that he did not have good vision. I hope he goes somewhere where he can be coached and has a great senior year.

Reaction Score
What's funny is that in his interview with Matt S on Thisisuconncountry.com, I get the message that RonJohn was excited for the coaching change and embraced it. New coaches were probably honest with their expectations for him this year.

""It's very exciting especially because he produced those guys including Andre Dixon [who was standing in the vicinity]," Johnson said. "Seeing those guys, they paved the way for us, they set the standard and we need to live up to that standard. With Coach Edsall back we are very excited that we have the proper coach to get us to that level."

Ron Johnson on the Huskies Coaching Change – This is UConn Country

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I know some people wanted to give Bryce McAllister a shot at RB. Considering we are just as thin at safety I do not see that happening even with RJ moving on.

Reaction Score
Malzahn*.

I am still very surprised we'd get his QB/OC. That's an insane catch.

Not really. Even though Lashlee had the OC title, he had very little input compared to Malzahn when it came to the system, personnel, and play calling.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good luck to Ron Jon. The way the previous staff utilized him was criminal - 3rd down back, gave him the ball when everyone knew we would run, etc. That being said- he didn't bowl over tacklers and wasn't shifty enough to make them miss. Not a great pass catcher and I don't blame him for not hitting holes with the o lines he ran behind. My biggest takeaway for him as a tailback was that he did not have good vision. I hope he goes somewhere where he can be coached and has a great senior year.

Watching RJ run right into his own line when there was a hole to his left (or vice verse) was a guarantee at least a couple of times a game. But I think that was also compounded by a slow first step - even if was good at seeing holes develop, I'm not sure he could change direction and accelerate to get there.

Reaction Score
Not a bad back, but nothing exceptional. Cant see holes well, slow on the edge, and played below size. Still, he was part of the squad and we owe him thanks. Maybe there is a program where he can develop his gifts better. You'd think he'd be much more impactful than he was.

Reaction Score
Wish him the best, but his career can be summed up in the Navy game. Devastating hard nosed touchdown early in the game, then cutting back away from the hole and into a brick wall on the last play of the game. Still not entirely his fault as the coaching staff blew the whole series of events.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom