Rogue One | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rogue One

Reaction Score
One thing that really threw me off was not hearing the imperial march during that first star destroyer shot. I liked the score but it looked so much like star wars that even a little thing like that could take me out of the moment. I don't think I will care during second viewing
I can understand that. After listening to the soundtrack, it doesn't bother me much. Giacchino created an entirely new 'Imperial Suite' that sounds pretty awesome, especially when used before or after Krennic's theme which is very prevalent in the film. It also makes the few instances where he does use the Imperial March that much more impactful.

I want to see it again. My only beefs were that it seemed like we visited 15 different planets in the first five minutes and the CGI stuff. Other than that I absolutely loved it, and it's my own opinion but I liked it better than Episode 7.

That's a fair beef. It was pretty jumpy in the beginning, especially when we aren't used to the planet name tags being there on screen. A lot of people will share your opinion on it being better than TFA. As of now, I love them both in their own way. They are completely different movies.

@CL82

Here is the button that you click to add spoiler comments:

Spoiler.png

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
@FeedTheDove @Penfield @ZooCougar

Any of you guys watch it in 3D? I did, and I'm not sure that enhanced the experience overall. Although 3D did add to one of the scenes at the end of the movie.

I think I'll see it without next time.

Reaction Score

Any of you guys watch it in 3D? I did, and I'm not sure that enhanced the experience overall. Although 3D did add to one of the scenes at the end of the movie.

Ya know, I saw the film in 3D Imax each time I went. I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. Nothing distracted me from enjoying the movie. I have heard from multiple people that the 3D Imax is not the way to go and that it made some scenes blurrier than they should be. Idk. I'd like to see it again with my family (if they could bare it) and I'd probably see it in a regular theater and see if I notice a difference. To me, the 3D Imax was fine, but maybe I'll change my mind after seeing a regular screening.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Not just 3D... I saw it in 4D! It was terrible haha. The 3D was fine, but "4D" means they blow air in your face, there are flashing lights, the seats move like one of those motion simulator things... It was not nearly as cool as it sounded, and very distracting. I told my friends I didn't want to do it but they insisted it would be awesome. Never again.

I was planning on IMAX for my next viewing, but maybe I will just go for a regular 2D theater.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not just 3D... I saw it in 4D! It was terrible haha. The 3D was fine, but "4D" means they blow air in your face, there are flashing lights, the seats move like one of those motion simulator things... It was not nearly as cool as it sounded, and very distracting. I told my friends I didn't want to do it but they insisted it would be awesome. Never again.

I was planning on IMAX for my next viewing, but maybe I will just go for a regular 2D theater.

I did the IMAX version. Was definitely cool, but I just don't like wearing and watching through glasses.

4D sounds absolute snow actually.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw it in 2D last night. I liked it, great action and nice tie-ins to bridge the prequels (which I have never seen) to New Hope. The jumping around during the first 15 minutes or so confused the hell out of me, and having not seen the prequels I was not as up on a lot of the references as my daughter and cousins were. I would like to see it again but my initial reaction is that I liked The Force Awakens better, probably because it was more familiar and nostalgic to me.

I definitely am not nearly as knowledgeable or emotionally invested as Penfield and Feed the Dove are; but my daughter and cousins would probably agree with you guys based on what they were saying afterwards. I think they liked it a bit better than I did because of that attachment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I saw it last night in 3D. It was a very subtle 3D so didn't bother me. I prefer 2D. I wear glasses either way since I get the closed caption glasses when I go to the movies.

As for the movie, lots of fun. A bit dark for Star Wars
with nobody surviving,
but a nice link to Episode IV. Makes the rebellion feel more like the war that it is. I have to ask though whether the U.K. has orthodontists.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Finally saw it yesterday and I was able to avoid the spoilers and last minute trailers. I find that the more I recollect, the better my impression of R1 is. I thought they did a great job of developing a large number of characters. Agree that the beginning is a little herky jerky but it eventually ties together incredibly and the segue to IV was intense. It was not as dark as I expected - II and IV are much darker. It is tough to compare to TFA. I really enjoyed both. TFA was kind of a return to glory after the prequels and the return of Han, Leia Chewy and Luke after 30 years was tough to top. Can't wait to see R1 again and the ep VIII trailer can't come soon enough.

Reaction Score
Saw it this afternoon. Holy scheisse is
Vader terrifying
. That last scene...no words.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The next 30 seconds was possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen. Keep in mind that these Rebels have never seen the force in use before. They've never seen a Jedi, never seen a Sith, never seen a lightsaber. They don't know what this 'thing' is.

And Vader is absolutely horrifying... it is glorious. And the music is equally horrifying, drawing parallels to the RotS score. I've watched the scene over 20 times (leaks are a horrible thing.) Everything about it is amazing, and it doesn't get old. Vader effortlessly rips these Rebels apart. Smashes one guy up against the ceiling with the force, and then decapitates him as he walks by. Hearing the Rebels scream was equally horrifying. You'll hear "Help us!!!" The part where the Rebel hands the disc through the door saying "Take it!! Take it!!" and then getting stabbed through the chest. Awesome. Oh, man. It's fan service done right. Lord Vader is truly terrifying and that 30 seconds gives you a glimpse why.
Saw it this afternoon. Holy scheisse is
Vader terrifying
. That last scene...no words.

The best shot in the movie is
when Vader draws his saber in the smoke and steps through. Chills. Come to think of it, whenever a Dark Side saber is drawn, it's usually a top moment. Darth Maul I'm looking at you.

The rest of the Vader scene is completely badass as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Damn it! Must.. stop ... reading... thread...
... even though people are being great with the spoiler alerts.

It really sounds pretty good, except the references to the prequels, which were dreck IMO.

I'm out, but I look forward to reading the posts above after I see the movie, which will probably be this week,

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Damn it! Must.. stop ... reading... thread...
... even though people are being great with the spoiler alerts.

It really sounds pretty good, except the references to the prequels, which were dreck IMO.

I'm out, but I look forward to reading the posts above after I see the movie, which will probably be this week,

The prequel references are subtle, minor, and they only reference things that didn't suck.

Reaction Score
The prequel references are subtle, minor, and they only reference things that didn't suck.
This 100. The few cameos are who characters who would be in it logically without the prequels anyway...they just brought back the same actors. And
Vader's castle on Mustafar is pretty freakin awesome.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I really tried to avoid any spoilers and even told my nephew not to repeat anything he heard about it in school, and he actually complied. I'll definitely need to watch again, I wasn't sure why
they needed to go to the planet where Galen and the engineers were being held, other than for Jyn to see her father die (was it to steal an imperial shuttle?).

I also thought it was a bit strange that on an imperial controlled planet with (visible) shielding, they'd have AT-AT walkers at the ready. (Maybe George saw that and now thinks he needs to go back to ROTJ and CGI in a blue shield around Endor and the Death Star.) Maybe it was a high-tech planet that the Empire managed to colonize while keeping the shield intact. It's probably on wookiepedia, LOL.

Overall, the sense of the Alliance is much different than in the original trilogy. It's already a war-weary Rebellion, whose fighters are grizzled and maybe done things they're not proud of - not the pure, good heroes from the Joseph Campbell mold. And you get the sense the Empire building the Death Star as an ultimate weapon was motivated by a desire to end the conflict as quickly as possible. Now, that was part of the dialogue in Ep. VI, but it's a bit more prominent here. Also, the cinematography and battles were reminiscent of many WWII films -
the tank skirmish on Jedha and battling on a beach certainly harks back to that type of fighting. Of course, Lucas staged the X Wing dogfights to be like WWII aerial battles, so this is taking it to another level.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
OK

Cassian's mission at that point was to find and kill Galen, but I'll have to watch again for the pretext they used to bring Jyn along.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. The last half is just a bunch of hidden text.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering what the theories are on how they'll handle the Princess Leia character now

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm wondering what the theories are on how they'll handle the Princess Leia character now
VIII has already been shot, so they have some time and probably some flexibility to change the story line accordingly.

Reaction Score
VIII has already been shot, so they have some time and probably some flexibility to change the story line accordingly.
I think we're all wondering where the story will go with Carrie passing away. But I don't think it's the time to worry about it right now. RIP Carrie. May the force be with you and your family.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think we're all wondering where the story will go with Carrie passing away. But I don't think it's the time to worry about it right now. RIP Carrie. May the force be with you and your family.
No doubt. I was just responding to John's post, in the event that he wasn't aware that VIII has already been shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom