Rogue One | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rogue One

Reaction Score
For those interested in the released clips...

Bodhi Rook and Jyn

Galen Erso and Director Krennic

Jyn Rallies the Rebels... notice someone familiar in this clip? :)
ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Movie Clip - Jyn Rallies The Rebel Alliance (2016) Sci-Fi Movie HD

Do NOT click these spoiler tags if you don't want to see footage before seeing the movie.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Got my tix for Thursday. I am kinda frustrated with all the advertising at this point. The spot during monday night football last night was too much for me. Can't wait to see the movie but the spoilers have been pretty hard to avoid.

Glad to see it is getting good reviews so far. My boss gets to go see it tomorrow because his brother is a local weatherman. Those guys really have it made.

Reaction Score
Got my tix for Thursday. I am kinda frustrated with all the advertising at this point. The spot during monday night football last night was too much for me. Can't wait to see the movie but the spoilers have been pretty hard to avoid.

Glad to see it is getting good reviews so far. My boss gets to go see it tomorrow because his brother is a local weatherman. Those guys really have it made.
Same for tix Thursday. Friday as well.

I haven't even tried to avoid spoilers for Rogue One... using it as a gauge on whether I want to be spoiled for Episode VIII. I know the main plot points and some specific scenes that take place.

Critics seem to be mixed with reviews which is to be expected from this type of film. It's not for everybody. I'll wait until after this weekend to provide more details. Just don't want to spoil anyone.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Same for tix Thursday. Friday as well.

I haven't even tried to avoid spoilers for Rogue One... using it as a gauge on whether I want to be spoiled for Episode VIII. I know the main plot points and some specific scenes that take place.

Critics seem to be mixed with reviews which is to be expected from this type of film. It's not for everybody. I'll wait until after this weekend to provide more details. Just don't want to spoil anyone.

Yea basically what I have read is that if you like Star Wars you will like this movie.

In some ways it is a bit like The Force Awakens - Is it a perfect movie? No. But it is entertaining enough to make up for that.

Reaction Score
Yea basically what I have read is that if you like Star Wars you will like this movie.

In some ways it is a bit like The Force Awakens - Is it a perfect movie? No. But it is entertaining enough to make up for that.

I'm hearing it's dark. Which means no foo-foo like Jar Jar. So I can see why it may not appeal to the gen pop, but unless the story line lacks, I can't see how a Star Wars fan wouldn't enjoy it. Also, the fact that it's a "spinoff" may alleviate high expectations of it needing to be perfect. I like what I hear. The dark side of the force is dark....... so no problems there for me.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I am waiting until Wednesday, seeing it with a bunch of coworkers. These posts are killing me.

Reaction Score
Completely fun, both for a star wars vet like myself, and for my kids who have grown up with the clone wars and have seen the older movies after the fact. I was pleasantly surprised at how many of the nods to previous material that my kids picked up on. Just a great time at the theater today.

Reaction Score
I had completely low expectations. But I thought it was great. If not for the bad cgi for those certain characters it might have been the best. Not sure how they let the CGI in like that, it was like they let George Lucas get involved or something.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just saw it. A man, that was good!

And they didn't cheap out on the story line like I thought they would. Everybody died...not that I'm celebrating that, but that was the point of the story. It gives gravity to the context of the plans in future films.

9/10. Will see again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Doesn't it bother anyone that every single Star Wars movie has the same plot? The rebels find a way to blow up the death star. Can't they come up with something else? I am a huge sci-fi fan. But enough with the death star. They blew it up in the first movie. Now whether we go forward or backwards in time, we have to blow up the death star. Eventually they will run out of perspectives on the death of the death star, or maybe not as long as people are paying money to see it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Doesn't it bother anyone that every single Star Wars movie has the same plot? The rebels find a way to blow up the death star. Can't they come up with something else? I am a huge sci-fi fan. But enough with the death star. They blew it up in the first movie. Now whether we go forward or backwards in time, we have to blow up the death star. Eventually they will run out of perspectives on the death of the death star, or maybe not as long as people are paying money to see it.

To be fair, since this was the direct prequel to the first 'Blow up the Death Star' (IV) movie, what did you really expect? And, even though they weren't the best, I, II and III weren't about blowing up the Death Star. I'm guessing VIII and IX aren't either. EDIT: and realistically, Episode V, often considered the best one, wasn't really about that at all.

The only thing that mildly annoyed me about plot was that VII was a bit similar to IV. But I resolved that in my head with some reading online (the idea of the circular nature of force/things, the hero's journey etc).

I don't expect the next few to be 'death star' movies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be fair, since this was the direct prequel to the first 'Blow up the Death Star' (IV) movie, what did you really expect? And, even though they weren't the best, I, II and III weren't about blowing up the Death Star. I'm guessing VIII and IX aren't either. EDIT: and realistically, Episode V, often considered the best one, wasn't really about that at all.

The only thing that mildly annoyed me about plot was that VII was a bit similar to IV. But I resolved that in my head with some reading online (the idea of the circular nature of force/things, the hero's journey etc).

I don't expect the next few to be 'death star' movies.

I like to pretend that I, II and III don't exist.

Reaction Score
Okay. I've seen it three times. Time for a spoiler-filled review.

Well, it finally happened. Where the hell do I start?

The film was not perfect. There are some aspects of the film that deserve some criticism. It took a while to get going. The title font was... odd. Some people didn't like Tarkin/Leia CGI.

But man, this movie was duck*ing good. It was bold, extremely dense, emotional, and satisfying. I found myself during my 3rd viewing still emotionally invested in this movie, the characters, and their journey. That's a really good sign.

The music. Michael Giacchino is no John Williams. But he nailed this score. He had 4 1/2 weeks to write the music to this film and the result was beautiful. Incredibly emotional and recognizable new themes. Take a listen to the soundtrack and I think you'll be pretty impressed. The entire last 15 minutes of the film was driven by the music, and it delivered.

The characters were awesome. K2 stole the show, Cassian showed us that Rebels shouldn't always be labeled as 'the good guys', Chirrut and Baze were the perfect combination of badass and funny, Riz Ahmed killed his role as Bhodi. I even enjoyed Forest Whitaker playing a slightly insane Saw Gerrera (which makes sense if you are familiar with the character). But the highlights for me were Felicity Jones and Mads Mikkelsen. Those two really brought it. Galen's monologue during the hologram scene was heartbreaking. Seeing Jyn slowly build up with emotion until she can't hold it in any longer was, for me, the most emotional part of the whole film. And then, as the DS fires on Jedha, Jyn's world is literally crashing down around her. Very powerful.

The entire final act was a thing of beauty. Each main character's death was meaningful - they went out doing something that was vital to the mission. Krennic's death, staring at the thing that he worked so hard on his entire life that is now going to kill him, was poetic. They handled the Jyn/Cassian suggested romance perfectly. No kiss needed, we already have enough emotion during their death scene. The transmitting of the plans felt extremely hopeful and satisfying...

... And that hopeful tone took a 180 degree turn when Vader's star destroyer appeared out of NOWHERE. Oh yes, I didn't forget about Lord Vader. During my first viewing of the film, I was watching, enjoying, and all of the sudden we are brought to a lava planet with a terrifying castle. Seeing Vader on Mustafar (yes, that was Mustafar) in that bacta tank was so satisfying, even if we only got a glimpse of him without his armor. Then we see Vader approach Krennic and I suddenly realized 'holy s***, we are still watching Star Wars.' I loved all of Vader's lines, for the record. The pun is totally akin to Vader's character, he was a snappy SOB in the OT. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa." It's still Anakin in there, after all.

So Jyn/Cassian transmit the plans to Raddus' ship, the Rebels receive the transmission and it's time to hand them off to Leia. Mission complete. Everything is going to be okay. WRONG. The film takes a dramatic emotional shift when you see Vader's shuttle head over to Raddus' ship. The door locks, the lights go out, and we all know what's coming. The next 30 seconds was possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen. Keep in mind that these Rebels have never seen the force in use before. They've never seen a Jedi, never seen a Sith, never seen a lightsaber. They don't know what this 'thing' is.

And Vader is absolutely horrifying... it is glorious. And the music is equally horrifying, drawing parallels to the RotS score. I've watched the scene over 20 times (leaks are a horrible thing.) Everything about it is amazing, and it doesn't get old. Vader effortlessly rips these Rebels apart. Smashes one guy up against the ceiling with the force, and then decapitates him as he walks by. Hearing the Rebels scream was equally horrifying. You'll hear "Help us!!!" The part where the Rebel hands the disc through the door saying "Take it!! Take it!!" and then getting stabbed through the chest. Awesome. Oh, man. It's fan service done right. Lord Vader is truly terrifying and that 30 seconds gives you a glimpse why.

For the record, I thought the CGI with Leia and Tarkin was extremely impressive. We've never seen CGI done that well. They went for it, and it wasn't perfect, but I thought it was great.

Also for Rebels watchers - there were multiple Rebels references throughout the movie. Chopper was in it. Hera Sendulla was referenced over the com at Yavin. The Ghost was seen 3 times. Again, just a very satisfying film.

I have no clue where this film will rank with the other Star Wars films for me at this point. I'll wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release to decide that. But I can't be more excited about the direction Star Wars is headed. We've now had 2 films since Disney has taken over that, for the most part, have been extremely successful. It's nice to know that these people truly care about the characters and the integrity of the story.

Now, we wait, and do it all again in a year for Episode VIII. Bring it on.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
great write up @FeedTheDove. Pretty much exactly how I felt. I will say that for the first half of the movie it felt very fan-fictiony to me (not that it was bad, I felt the same about TFW), but once the action really started rolling it totally clicked - this is Star Wars. It fits in so nicely. I need to go see that movie again. I think knowing that it is good I will be able to relax more and just enjoy it. Need to keep an eye out for all the easter eggs too.

Reaction Score
great write up @FeedTheDove. I need to go see that movie again. I think knowing that it is good I will be able to relax more and just enjoy it. Need to keep an eye out for all the easter eggs too.

Yes! If you're like me you almost feel pressured during the first viewing to take in absolutely everything going on. It's kind of stressful, lol. It happened during TFA too. So definitely go see it again. I enjoyed it much more during the second and third viewing, for what it's worth.

The easter eggs were awesome to see. If you need help finding them, /r/StarWarsLeaks on reddit should probably have a thread about all of them at this point. If not, I think I know where/when most of them take place.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Yes! If you're like me you almost feel pressured during the first viewing to take in absolutely everything going on. It's kind of stressful, lol. It happened during TFA too. So definitely go see it again. I enjoyed it much more during the second and third viewing, for what it's worth.

The easter eggs were awesome to see. If you need help finding them, /r/StarWarsLeaks on reddit should probably have a thread about all of them at this point. If not, I think I know where/when most of them take place.

Yeah I just get really wound up with anticipation, and have anxiety that the movie won't be any good Haha. I was definitely more relaxed for this one than TFA.

One thing that really threw me off was not hearing the imperial march during that first star destroyer shot. I liked the score but it looked so much like star wars that even a little thing like that could take me out of the moment. I don't think I will care during second viewing

I have a good idea where most of them are and saw some screen grabs. Just want to see them for myself on the big screen.

Still wondering what the original story was before all the changes were made

Reaction Score

Yeah I just get really wound up with anticipation, and have anxiety that the movie won't be any good Haha. I was definitely more relaxed for this one than TFA.

One thing that really threw me off was not hearing the imperial march during that first star destroyer shot. I liked the score but it looked so much like star wars that even a little thing like that could take me out of the moment. I don't think I will care during second viewing

I have a good idea where most of them are and saw some screen grabs. Just want to see them for myself on the big screen.

Still wondering what the original story was before all the changes were made

I want to see it again. My only beefs were that it seemed like we visited 15 different planets in the first five minutes and the CGI stuff. Other than that I absolutely loved it, and it's my own opinion but I liked it better than Episode 7.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I want to see it again. My only beefs were that it seemed like we visited 15 different planets in the first five minutes and the CGI stuff. Other than that I absolutely loved it, and it's my own opinion but I liked it better than Episode 7.

I didnt mind the CGI characters that much. My wife doesn't know Star Wars very well and she had no idea was CGI

I think it was better than episode 7 also. Yes, it involved the death star again, but the rest of the story wasn't so much of a re-tread.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okay. I've seen it three times. Time for a spoiler-filled review.

Well, it finally happened. Where the hell do I start?

The film was not perfect. There are some aspects of the film that deserve some criticism. It took a while to get going. The title font was... odd. Some people didn't like Tarkin/Leia CGI.

But man, this movie was duck*ing good. It was bold, extremely dense, emotional, and satisfying. I found myself during my 3rd viewing still emotionally invested in this movie, the characters, and their journey. That's a really good sign.

The music. Michael Giacchino is no John Williams. But he nailed this score. He had 4 1/2 weeks to write the music to this film and the result was beautiful. Incredibly emotional and recognizable new themes. Take a listen to the soundtrack and I think you'll be pretty impressed. The entire last 15 minutes of the film was driven by the music, and it delivered.

The characters were awesome. K2 stole the show, Cassian showed us that Rebels shouldn't always be labeled as 'the good guys', Chirrut and Baze were the perfect combination of badass and funny, Riz Ahmed killed his role as Bhodi. I even enjoyed Forest Whitaker playing a slightly insane Saw Gerrera (which makes sense if you are familiar with the character). But the highlights for me were Felicity Jones and Mads Mikkelsen. Those two really brought it. Galen's monologue during the hologram scene was heartbreaking. Seeing Jyn slowly build up with emotion until she can't hold it in any longer was, for me, the most emotional part of the whole film. And then, as the DS fires on Jedha, Jyn's world is literally crashing down around her. Very powerful.

The entire final act was a thing of beauty. Each main character's death was meaningful - they went out doing something that was vital to the mission. Krennic's death, staring at the thing that he worked so hard on his entire life that is now going to kill him, was poetic. They handled the Jyn/Cassian suggested romance perfectly. No kiss needed, we already have enough emotion during their death scene. The transmitting of the plans felt extremely hopeful and satisfying...

... And that hopeful tone took a 180 degree turn when Vader's star destroyer appeared out of NOWHERE. Oh yes, I didn't forget about Lord Vader. During my first viewing of the film, I was watching, enjoying, and all of the sudden we are brought to a lava planet with a terrifying castle. Seeing Vader on Mustafar (yes, that was Mustafar) in that bacta tank was so satisfying, even if we only got a glimpse of him without his armor. Then we see Vader approach Krennic and I suddenly realized 'holy s***, we are still watching Star Wars.' I loved all of Vader's lines, for the record. The pun is totally akin to Vader's character, he was a snappy SOB in the OT. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa." It's still Anakin in there, after all.

So Jyn/Cassian transmit the plans to Raddus' ship, the Rebels receive the transmission and it's time to hand them off to Leia. Mission complete. Everything is going to be okay. WRONG. The film takes a dramatic emotional shift when you see Vader's shuttle head over to Raddus' ship. The door locks, the lights go out, and we all know what's coming. The next 30 seconds was possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen. Keep in mind that these Rebels have never seen the force in use before. They've never seen a Jedi, never seen a Sith, never seen a lightsaber. They don't know what this 'thing' is.

And Vader is absolutely horrifying... it is glorious. And the music is equally horrifying, drawing parallels to the RotS score. I've watched the scene over 20 times (leaks are a horrible thing.) Everything about it is amazing, and it doesn't get old. Vader effortlessly rips these Rebels apart. Smashes one guy up against the ceiling with the force, and then decapitates him as he walks by. Hearing the Rebels scream was equally horrifying. You'll hear "Help us!!!" The part where the Rebel hands the disc through the door saying "Take it!! Take it!!" and then getting stabbed through the chest. Awesome. Oh, man. It's fan service done right. Lord Vader is truly terrifying and that 30 seconds gives you a glimpse why.

For the record, I thought the CGI with Leia and Tarkin was extremely impressive. We've never seen CGI done that well. They went for it, and it wasn't perfect, but I thought it was great.

Also for Rebels watchers - there were multiple Rebels references throughout the movie. Chopper was in it. Hera Sendulla was referenced over the com at Yavin. The Ghost was seen 3 times. Again, just a very satisfying film.

I have no clue where this film will rank with the other Star Wars films for me at this point. I'll wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release to decide that. But I can't be more excited about the direction Star Wars is headed. We've now had 2 films since Disney has taken over that, for the most part, have been extremely successful. It's nice to know that these people truly care about the characters and the integrity of the story.

Now, we wait, and do it all again in a year for Episode VIII. Bring it on.
Thanks for using the spoiler alert link. (How do you do that?)

I'll wait to read your review until after I see it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom