Rogue One | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rogue One

Reaction Score
IRT Rogue One... Am I the only one here who has seen the trailers and feels less than thrilled? It's always hard to tell from a trailer, but this one seems to be missing the right feel to it.
If the 'feel' you're looking for is typical Star Wars feel, you're most likely not going to get it from Rogue One. This movie has been talked about for being a 'different, gritty, war-like' movie ever since it started production.

Personally, I loved the trailer. The shots were beautiful. The Star Destroyer sitting above the city on Jedha? Amazing. X-wings swooping through canyons in the dark - there was some really great cinematic stuff happening in that trailer. My favorite part of the trailer is when Jyn is walking out on the catwalk of what looks to be some sort of communication tower, and a TIE comes up from underneath. Of course there's the sneak preview of Vader at the end (this movie is NOT about him. I expect 4 minutes of screen time of him at the absolute most.)

I could be biased because of my passion for Star Wars, but I thought it was an awesome trailer. And I can't wait for December. I am really bummed though, that Alexandre Desplat is not doing the score for the film anymore. I thought his work in the Deathly Hallows prt 1/2 was outstanding, and perfect for a dark, gritty, war-film like Rogue One. Unfortunately, because of the re-shoots, his schedule didn't line up well enough and my dreams were shattered.

Michael Giacchino will now be composing Rogue One. You can look him up but he's done movies like the Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, Inside Out, and Cars 2... Needless to say, I wish Desplat was still scoring this film. Ugh.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Michael Giacchino will now be composing Rogue One. You can look him up but he's done movies like the Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, Inside Out, and Cars 2... Needless to say, I wish Desplat was still scoring this film. Ugh.

Cars 2? He should be fantastic.

Reaction Score
If the 'feel' you're looking for is typical Star Wars feel, you're most likely not going to get it from Rogue One. This movie has been talked about for being a 'different, gritty, war-like' movie ever since it started production.

Personally, I loved the trailer. The shots were beautiful. The Star Destroyer sitting above the city on Jedha? Amazing. X-wings swooping through canyons in the dark - there was some really great cinematic stuff happening in that trailer. My favorite part of the trailer is when Jyn is walking out on the catwalk of what looks to be some sort of communication tower, and a TIE comes up from underneath. Of course there's the sneak preview of Vader at the end (this movie is NOT about him. I expect 4 minutes of screen time of him at the absolute most.)

I could be biased because of my passion for Star Wars, but I thought it was an awesome trailer. And I can't wait for December. I am really bummed though, that Alexandre Desplat is not doing the score for the film anymore. I thought his work in the Deathly Hallows prt 1/2 was outstanding, and perfect for a dark, gritty, war-film like Rogue One. Unfortunately, because of the re-shoots, his schedule didn't line up well enough and my dreams were shattered.

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but expecting a Star Wars feel from a Star Wars movie is asking for much. And The Empire Strikes Back had a pretty gritty beginning and pretty much epitomizes Star Wars.

One guy I work with is the biggest Star Wars geek I know. He's read every book, watches all the Star Wars cartoons religiously even though he's 40 etc. And he has the same fears I do.

I'm not going to pass judgement on a trailer, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but expecting a Star Wars feel from a Star Wars movie is asking for much. And The Empire Strikes Back had a pretty gritty beginning and pretty much epitomizes Star Wars.

One guy I work with is the biggest Star Wars geek I know. He's read every book, watches all the Star Wars cartoons religiously even though he's 40 etc. And he has the same fears I do.

Understood. Listen, we're entering an era of Star Wars where we are going to see a Star Wars movie every single year. That is absolutely absurd to think about. And it's even more absurd to think that every movie they make is going to be awesome. There are going to be hits, and there are going to be misses. They will go into different directions with some projects. This one, in particular, will have no Jedi, and will probably have little mysticism involved that other Star Wars movies typically have to offer. I have high hopes for Rogue One, as I do and will for any Star Wars movie. But if Rogue One flops and turns out to be a mediocre Marvel style movie, so be it. We still have the saga, and we still have another spin-off film every other year.

I, too, am like your friend at work. I'm almost as excited about season 3 of Rebels (5 days!) as I am Rogue One. I've read every canon SW novel out there (started too late to get into the EU). I have a more optimistic view than him, but I'm not blind to the warning signs everybody else sees. The re-shoots, director changes, and now composer changes. I'm just holding out hope that Lucasfilm gets it all together.

I'm not going to pass judgement on a trailer, but I've got a bad feeling about this.
Hah.

Reaction Score
Understood. Listen, we're entering an era of Star Wars where we are going to see a Star Wars movie every single year. That is absolutely absurd to think about. And it's even more absurd to think that every movie they make is going to be awesome. There are going to be hits, and there are going to be misses. They will go into different directions with some projects. This one, in particular, will have no Jedi, and will probably have little mysticism involved that other Star Wars movies typically have to offer. I have high hopes for Rogue One, as I do and will for any Star Wars movie. But if Rogue One flops and turns out to be a mediocre Marvel style movie, so be it. We still have the saga, and we still have another spin-off film every other year.

I, too, am like your friend at work. I'm almost as excited about season 3 of Rebels (5 days!) as I am Rogue One. I've read every canon SW novel out there (started too late to get into the EU). I have a more optimistic view than him, but I'm not blind to the warning signs everybody else sees. The re-shoots, director changes, and now composer changes. I'm just holding out hope that Lucasfilm gets it all together.

Hah.

I'm like you in that I want it to be awesome. At the same time, from a production perspective they can't use the A Team because they have to work on the main saga.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To be fair, the scores for Inside Out, Up, and The Incredibles were all fantastic. They don't exactly scream "Star Wars" though . . .

What about Cars 2 tho?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Only because they can disclaim "Planes" despite being heavily involved . . ..

That was supposed to be direct-to-video, but I think they saw a little gap in the summer schedule and decided that making $250,000,000 might be a better idea. It's one of the few Disney movies my daughter had no interest in seeing.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
View attachment 16145
k14rke6sctojwnvkpfau.gif

Reaction Score
This looked amazing. And if this was Giacchino scored, that gives me a lot of hope because the music was great.

Young Krennic. Galen Erso. Jedi Statue. Vader walking through smoke. Hot Jyn Erso. Saw Gerrera.

"Save the Rebellion, save the dream!"

HYPE

Reaction Score
Just noticed - that rock formation isnt just rocks is it.

View attachment 16146

Rumor it the desert plant with the Star Destroyer hovering over it has a long history as a key planet for the Jedi as very rare Kaiburr crystals can be found out it. Those crystals can be used to make light sabers and rumor has it a very large one is used to power the Death Star's big gun. The rock formation itself almost looks like Obi-Won; but, I suspect it is not as the 'fortress' looks like it has been around for several millennia.

Reaction Score
This looked amazing. And if this was Giacchino scored, that gives me a lot of hope because the music was great.

Young Krennic. Galen Erso. Jedi Statue. Vader walking through smoke. Hot Jyn Erso. Saw Gerrera.

"Save the Rebellion, save the dream!"

HYPE

I have a feeling though that this movie, none of the main characters on the light side outside of Mon will survive. I think a key theme will be 'every day people' sacrificing themselves for an ideal, the greater good. Jyn maybe the exception if the rumor is true that she is Rey's Mom (and thus Luke's wife).

Reaction Score
Rumor it the desert plant with the Star Destroyer hovering over it has a long history as a key planet for the Jedi as very rare Kaiburr crystals can be found out it. Those crystals can be used to make light sabers and rumor has it a very large one is used to power the Death Star's big gun. The rock formation itself almost looks like Obi-Won; but, I suspect it is not as the 'fortress' looks like it has been around for several millennia.

The planet you are referring to is Jedha. It was the 'Mecca' of the Star Wars universe after the Jedi purge and the Empire had taken over. You're right, there is an abundance of Kyber crystals on Jedha, and the Empire is mining the planet for them. Kyber crystals can be used to harness massive amounts of power, hence the Death Star. Jyn Erso's father, Galen, is well-known for his scientific research with harnessing the power of Kyber crystals. So the Empire, specifically Krennic, sought him out for the Death Star project.

As for the Jedi statue, it definitely is reminiscent of Ewan Mcgregor's Obi Wan, but Jedha has a history of ancient Jedi temples.

Edit: I don't consider this spoiler information as it is readily available on Star Wars wiki, and the part about Galen Erso was within the official description of Rogue One's prequel novel Catalyst that will be released in November.

Reaction Score
The planet you are referring to is Jedha. It was the 'Mecca' of the Star Wars universe after the Jedi purge and the Empire had taken over. You're right, there is an abundance of Kyber crystals on Jedha, and the Empire is mining the planet for them. Kyber crystals can be used to harness massive amounts of power, hence the Death Star. Jyn Erso's father, Galen, is well-known for his scientific research with harnessing the power of Kyber crystals. So the Empire, specifically Krennic, sought him out for the Death Star project.

As for the Jedi statue, it definitely is reminiscent of Ewan Mcgregor's Obi Wan, but Jedha has a history of ancient Jedi temples.

Any my wife things I am a Star Wars geek :p

Reaction Score
Question for those of you identifying lots of interesting, but non-movie, information. Is this all canon? All from the most recent books?

Reaction Score
Question for those of you identifying lots of interesting, but non-movie, information. Is this all canon? All from the most recent books?
It is canon. There will be a Rogue One prequel novel titled Catalyst that will be released in November. It will tell the story of the Ersos and their connection to Director Krennic, Kyber Crystals, and of course the Death Star.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Essentially all of the new material (books, tv shows, comics) that have come out since Disney took over are all officially cannon + The two existing movie trilogies and the Clone Wars TV show and movie.

This is a bit different than how Lucasfilm would handle it prior to the change in ownership. Back then the non-movie material was considered "Expanded Universe" and their was degrees of cannon based on some unwritten rules and there was quite a bit of retconning. Lucas had free reign to over write anything he wanted.

With Disney there is a team of people whose job it is to make sure all these stories fit together. And for the time being everything they put out is cannon. I dont know how long that will last as they are putting out quite a bit of material.

I think the biggest issue w/ all of the non-movie material (pre and post Disney) is the over reliance on the "Main" characters. It should be a big enough galaxy that every story doesnt have to rely on one of the established characters, but almost everything eventually includes one of them. Already on Rebels we have seen C-3PO + R2-D2, Lando, Leia, Wedge.... The more you keep including these characters the harder it gets to keep the stories straight, and eventually you either retcon or start over.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest issue w/ all of the non-movie material (pre and post Disney) is the over reliance on the "Main" characters. It should be a big enough galaxy that every story doesnt have to rely on one of the established characters, but almost everything eventually includes one of them. Already on Rebels we have seen C-3PO + R2-D2, Lando, Leia, Wedge.... The more you keep including these characters the harder it gets to keep the stories straight, and eventually you either retcon or start over.
Feels like doing some things in the Knights of the Old Republic era for a while would be a great way to avoid this. Things don't have the come together at all, if they don't want them to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom