Rodney playing Boatright's role of prime defender | The Boneyard

Rodney playing Boatright's role of prime defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-men-ncaa-tournament-0315-20160314-story.html

I'm not sure what to think about this story. It seems the players are settling into roles now. But the seed for this tourney is tough. Seeding obviously makes a difference in ultimate success.

The thing that I wonder about here is that it was obvious during the first Temple game that Decosey is a very special player. The kind who can go off and make many different types of shots from all over the court. Acrobatic drives in the paint, kisses off the glass, very deep 3s. He ha NBA scoring talent.

It seems odd that he became a focus of the defense for the semis. Heck, I thought he should have been doubled. Temple goes as Decosey goes.

Reaction Score
Not really understanding your angle, I'm pretty sure Decosey was a focus of the defense before the AAC tourney, and its not like he lit them up in the first 2 games, 6-14 and 7-15 from the field is OK but not setting the world on fire. He made that ridiculous overhead layup + the foul in the 2nd game to put them ahead but there were a lot more factors than just him that caused UConn to give that one away. He's a good player but NBA scoring talent, nah, we're not talking Khalif Wyatt or Dionte Christmas here, and those guys weren't even really pros(Christmas had a brief run).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Purv is no Boatright defensively, but he's pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
Not really understanding your angle, I'm pretty sure Decosey was a focus of the defense before the AAC tourney, and its not like he lit them up in the first 2 games, 6-14 and 7-15 from the field is OK but not setting the world on fire. He made that ridiculous overhead layup + the foul in the 2nd game to put them ahead but there were a lot more factors than just him that caused UConn to give that one away. He's a good player but NBA scoring talent, nah, we're not talking Khalif Wyatt or Dionte Christmas here, and those guys weren't even really pros(Christmas had a brief run).

In the first two games, we weren't concentrating on Decosey. He also went 3-3 from 3 in the first game, 2-4 from 3 in the second, 7-7 from the line, scored 23 points.

Reaction Score
In the first two games, we weren't concentrating on Decosey. He also went 3-3 from 3 in the first game, 2-4 from 3 in the second, 7-7 from the line, scored 23 points.
Seems to me that in the game this weekend Purvis and DHam were on task and paying attention to detail, which as we know having watched them for 2 seasons they have a very difficult time doing from not only game to game but within the same game. They didn't double team him, they just did a great job defending him one on one, except when they blitzed a big on ball screens but that's KO's scheme in general, not just for primary scorers. Decosey just didn't pop up on the scouting report for this one game, he's always been there, Purvis and Dham just did a much better job defending him.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that in the game this weekend Purvis and DHam were on task and paying attention to detail, which as we know having watched them for 2 seasons they have a very difficult time doing from not only game to game but within the same game. They didn't double team him, they just did a great job defending him one on one, except when they blitzed a big on ball screens but that's KO's scheme in general, not just for primary scorers. Decosey just didn't pop up on the scouting report for this one game, he's always been there, Purvis and Dham just did a much better job defending him.

I get ya. I tend to think much more of Decosey than you do. I think that's the difference. I like him better than any other player in the conference except Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom