Robinson Cano | The Boneyard

Robinson Cano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching the Red Sox - Yankee series this past two weeks, I don't see any way the Yankees can let Cano get away no matter what kind of taxes they have to pay. As a Red Sox fan, I was nervous every time he came up and the plays he made in the field were so effortless. What do you think, Mau?

Reaction Score
After watching the Red Sox - Yankee series this past two weeks, I don't see any way the Yankees can let Cano get away no matter what kind of taxes they have to pay. As a Red Sox fan, I was nervous every time he came up and the plays he made in the field were so effortless. What do you think, Mau?

He's a great player despite being an enigma art times.......once he got ARod and Soriano around him he had MVP like games with protection........he's a must keep. But there is so much more they need and unlike the Sox have nothing in their own tank so one can only hope they have some money to spend........

Reaction Score
Bit loosey goosy at times but Cano is a freak. With Trout, arguably best position player in game. And in his prime. Hafta re-sign him. Will be like 10-240.

That said.....I do have that gnawing feeling....you basically know he is juicer and may break down ....fear is if ten year deal....which he will demand and likely get...and 5-6 years from now starts hitting the DL

Reaction Score
Beware the Cubs, Mets or Jays jumping into the conversation.

Reaction Score
He's 30 almost 31. Non-roided position players are not worth silly money past 36-37. Offer him 7/175 and politely request he run some more grounders out. If he balks, remind him of his 3rd baseman or Albert Pujols. If he doesn't take that, it's time to blow it all up anyway.

Reaction Score
He's likely a juicer and I agree with GOUC........the problem with telling him to run grounders out is he's one of too many that don't........Papi makes him look like Pete Rose in that respect.........but agree with the 7/175 contract and think he wants to stay in NYC as does JayZ

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was funny listening to Bill Madden on the radio the other day. He said that Pedroia set the market with his contract and the Yankees consider Pedroia to be the better player.

Reaction Score
It was funny listening to Bill Madden on the radio the other day. He said that Pedroia set the market with his contract and the Yankees consider Pedroia to be the better player.
Not sure I agree with Madden. In terms of pure talent, Cano has an edge. However, in his "I'll do anything to win" attitude, Pedroia may be the more desirable player. He is for me anyway, although I'll admit a bias.

Reaction Score
The Yankees are in terrible shape and Cano is a must sign for them. They have to get younger somehow and need Cano to build the team around. Getting out of Arod's contract will give them some room to sign a few talented younger players. You have to figure that Arod, Pettite, and Rivera are gone and Jeter is near the end and may be playing 3B next season. Chamberlain and Hughes falling off a cliff really killed them.
I'm a Sox fan but baseball is a lot more fun when the Yankees are competitive. Even with Texiera back next season I just don't see how they can compete for a AL East title. They need help in too many areas but they have to start with signing Cano.

Reaction Score
He's likely a juicer and I agree with GOUC........the problem with telling him to run grounders out is he's one of too many that don't........Papi makes him look like Pete Rose in that respect.........but agree with the 7/175 contract and think he wants to stay in NYC as does JayZ

I really have not noticed him dogging it on running out ground balls.

I notice more on D where he is smooth but looks to be going about 75% many times....too cool for school..

Reaction Score

Madden's a dope and while Pedroia is real good it's not that close!

Reaction Score
I love Pedroia but player wise he is just not in Cano's league.

That said...wouldn't trade him for many players....

Reaction Score
I love Pedroia but player wise he is just not in Cano's league.

That said...wouldn't trade him for many players....

Exactly but if Pedey were on my team I would probably say NO if you asked me if I'd trade him for Robby..........but I have Cano so ..........

Reaction Score
With all the question marks surrounding the team, Cano is as close to a "must sign" as there is. Problem is - they'll need to sign him to another "bad" contract, grossly overpaying him past his prime. He left Boras (a sure disaster) for JayZ (probably another disaster). He's Jay-Z's first high profile contract and he's going to want to break the bank with Cano to show off to other possible clients.

Be interesting, after ARod, to see if the team puts in any type of anti-steroid clause (or even if they can).

Reaction Score
With all the question marks surrounding the team, Cano is as close to a "must sign" as there is. Problem is - they'll need to sign him to another "bad" contract, grossly overpaying him past his prime. He left Boras (a sure disaster) for JayZ (probably another disaster). He's Jay-Z's first high profile contract and he's going to want to break the bank with Cano to show off to other possible clients.

Be interesting, after ARod, to see if the team puts in any type of anti-steroid clause (or even if they can).
The other option would be for the Yankees to let Cano go and use the money to sign 2 or 3 younger players and that may be the better option because they need help in multiple positions. As you said, Cano is going to get a bad contract from the club's side and the Yankees may not want to get in another Arod situation contract wise. The Yankees could use a corner outfielder with power, SS, C and starting pitching. Pretty long list that gets more difficult to achieve if they sign Cano.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The other option would be for the Yankees to let Cano go and use the money to sign 2 or 3 younger players and that may be the better option because they need help in multiple positions.

Do you really think Cash has the skill set to pull that off?

Reaction Score
Next year will be another grind for Yankee fans. In 2013, Cashman had 80+ players in spring training, and he might have the same next year. Gone will be: Alex for at least 100 games. Gone: Grandy, Joba, and Phil. Mo and Pettite will both be retired, Youk's contract ( I believe $13 mil) comes off, Cervelli won't be asked back. I don't know what happens to Soriano, or Nunez, but I hope they keep Ryan for insurance. Tex and Derek are question marks- is Tex's wrist as bad as Bautista's, if so he may never be the same, and Derek, who knows what 2014 brings, except he'll be another year older.
When you look to the farm system you don't see much for the near future. Maybe Almonte. Maybe Mesa. Maybe one of the killer B's. Who knows.
A lot of money will come off the books, but a big part of it goes to Robbie.
Right now I'm hoping that Pineda can pitch in 2014, that Hiro comes back, that Phelps can pick up where he left off, that Nova finally has it straightened out, and that either Nuno or Huff pan out. Middle to late innings, hopefully we'll see more of Claiborne, and maybe even Montgomery. C.C.? I don't even want to go there!
Next year's starting outfield would potentially be: Soriano/Wells in left, Gardner in center, and Ichiro in right. That's okay if you're an artist and you like minimalism!
The positive in this will be that the Yankees may get more prospects from the above departures, but that's looking down the road.
Who knows, though. Look at 2013, did any Yankee fan think in their right mind that we'd be in the hunt with less than 15 games to go?

Reaction Score
Do you really think Cash has the skill set to pull that off?

And Cherrington does? C'mon.......Gomes, Napoli and Carp are PED guys who you can only hope can help.....and they did....congrats to Ben - he got lucky!! And that's what it take these days!

Reaction Score
And Cherrington does? C'mon.......Gomes, Napoli and Carp are PED guys who you can only hope can help.....and they did....congrats to Ben - he got lucky!! And that's what it take these days!
Hard to knock success but somehow you found a way.
The truth is last years Sox team had plenty of talent, they just underachieved. Valantine deserves some of he blame along with a crappy club house attitude. Cherrington addressed those issues with "the trade" along with signing non toxic players with talent. Lets see how well Cashman does now that George's checkbook got buried with him.

Reaction Score
Hard to knock success but somehow you found a way.
The truth is last years Sox team had plenty of talent, they just underachieved. Valantine deserves some of he blame along with a crappy club house attitude. Cherrington addressed those issues with "the trade" along with signing non toxic players with talent. Lets see how well Cashman does now that George's checkbook got buried with him.

Funny Danzz....crappy clubhouse attitude belonged to your boys Petey and papi who were both trying to call the shots as we saw in the papers.....obviously you missed it.......oh well what do we expect?

Reaction Score
By the way let's see 1995 - 2013 run like the Yanks okay before you guys shoot those ridiculous mouths off for Big Ben and the Sox.........can't sign them all eventually!!! ;)

Reaction Score
Sometimes good luck is the result of hard work and preparation. I'm with Danzz on this. Ben made a bunch of gutsy moves last year and I was against most of them. Shows you how much I know. I also agree with Danzz that the Yankees might be better off letting Cano go to the highest bidder and use that money to plug some holes. Personally I like it when the Yankees and Sox are both strong. The Yankees have a lot of work to do.

Reaction Score
Blind, deaf and dumb.

Clutch hitting? yes at times, playing above the players they have been in the past? No

What they are are great teamates and chemistry guys on a team who desperately needed that

Reaction Score
Jerry huh? No one cares about what you say!

You're a well known one way dope - no reason to reply!! But thanks for your interest in baseball.....;)

Reaction Score
Funny Danzz....crappy clubhouse attitude belonged to your boys Petey and papi who were both trying to call the shots as we saw in the papers.....obviously you missed it.......oh well what do we expect?
Petey and Papi calling the shots? Don't know about that but that clubhouse was toxic. I've never seen a team having so little fun playing the game and they were a hard team to like. They played selfish baseball. There are still guys on that team I'm not crazy about (Lester would get my vote for least desirable player to have a beer with).I actually would have been pissed if they made the playoffs because that would mean we'd be stuck with the same team this year. I would have come over to your side if Valentine returned, maybe:).
A lot has been said about chemistry and while attitude is always important the comeback years of Lackey, Lester and Ellsbury have much more to do with their success this season. It is a lot easier to have a good attitude when you are winning.
You don't hear me bashing the Yankees because they are just going through a cycle where their stars are old. It is really that simple. Add to that less than ready minor league prospects and the job becomes more difficult. I have a reason for not being a Cashman fan and he wouldn't be my choice to do the hard work ahead but if you like him so be it.
I want the Yankees to rebound. Baseball is a lot more exciting when the Sox and Yankees are battling for the AL East and don't forget I was the guy who got bashed for suggesting Giardi for MOY. Nobody did more with less than Giardi this season. And yes, Cano is a better player than Pedroia. It isn't even close baseball wise although there isn't a 2B I'd trade Pedroia for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom