Robbie Frey invited of regional combine | The Boneyard

Robbie Frey invited of regional combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Make yourself a special teams wizard and you can make game checks for a few years.

Reaction Score
It would not surprise me at all if Frey finds his way into the NFL for a stint. They don't come much faster or smarter.

He was an enormous loss to last years team.

Reaction Score
If Danny woodhead could make it Robbie has a great chance.

Reaction Score
Why would Frey go to that combine? I thought it was his dream to teach ? That's why he left UConn, right?

I was thinking along the same lines. I thought his comments made it seem like he was focusing on school to graduate and become a teacher as well all while being closer to home.

Reaction Score
Maybe because football might not work out so he wanted to set up his future in education? Like many posters have stated, Robbie Frey is a smart guy.

Reaction Score
He's just working out at a regional combine, it isn't like he is saying, "I'm never going to teach." He can continue to work towards his degree and certification while preparing for a regional combine.

If he has the dream of playing pro football but the fall back plan of teaching then why not see if his dream is attainable first?

Reaction Score
Why would Frey go to that combine? I thought it was his dream to teach ? That's why he left UConn, right?

Yes, that is why he left UCONN, he was not accepted in the education program, so he left. I have a lot of respect for that decision.

And he is going to the combine to work out for NFL scouts. Why wouldn't he? Latching on to a team even on the practice squad pays a lot more than a teaching job.

Reaction Score
Interesting though. If he knew last year that he had this shot would he have left? Maybe he just figured that he would never get this shot.

Reaction Score
Whaler, I was being sarcastic.

But, it is my belief, that Frey bailed on his teammates last season. No one will convince me of otherwise.

Reaction Score
Don't discount the power of the triangle. I have no idea, other than what I read here, but id betcha that there was some level of input from his fiancée.

Reaction Score
Whaler, I was being sarcastic.

But, it is my belief, that Frey bailed on his teammates last season. No one will convince me of otherwise.

Can't even begin to comprehend that. Kid played his heart out as a Husky and then UCONN decided he didn't qualify for the grad program he wanted. No hard feelings on his part and he heads off to somewhere to complete his education (and pursue his vocation) and play football.

By all accounts this is a high character guy and I wish him nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
He made a decision he felt was best for him. He certainly has that right. Doesn't change how I view the situation, though.

Reaction Score
He made a decision he felt was best for him. He certainly has that right. Doesn't change how I view the situation, though.
He was going for his masters and it was UCONN that bailed on him.

Reaction Score

I can only infer from this that you expected him to enroll at UCONN to pursue course work that would have been of no use to him for his chosen career. Don't forget, he was under full scholarship pursuing his masters at his new school. Had he stayed at UCONN he would have had to pony up that year of tuition himself after he left as that was his last year of eligibility. College kids don't have that type of coin and many families don't as well.

I expect a lot from these kids, but I can't even begin to wrap my head around your position on this.

Reaction Score
He was going for his masters and it was UCONN that bailed on him.

He did not get into the school of education. Most don't. He could have easily taken a couple of classes, stayed the extra semester, and enrolled at Kutztown in January.

He chose not to. Again, I'm not saying he didn't have the right to do that, because he certainly did, but it's pretty black and white.

Reaction Score

You certainly have the right to express your position. But it's an indefensible position to take. I would venture to guess you're the only one on this board to take this stance. Bizarre point of view.

Reaction Score
He did not get into the school of education. Most don't. He could have easily taken a couple of classes, stayed the extra semester, and enrolled at Kutztown in January.

He chose not to. Again, I'm not saying he didn't have the right to do that, because he certainly did, but it's pretty black and white.

A couple of classes in what?

Reaction Score
From Zac Boyer's article on Frey leaving :

"I had been stressed out about this since Coach Edsall left," Frey said. "I had been thinking about things during the season and was worried about my future, and when I met Coach Pasqualoni, he had helped me get into Master's classes and work toward my degree.

"But I had visited Kutztown and decided that it really would be right for me."

U

UConn9604

Yes, that is why he left UCONN, he was not accepted in the education program, so he left. I have a lot of respect for that decision.

And he is going to the combine to work out for NFL scouts. Why wouldn't he? Latching on to a team even on the practice squad pays a lot more than a teaching job.

It pains me to think about this, but Chase Blackburn, the backup LB who picked off a pass intended for Rob Gronkowski in the Super Bowl, was about to become a substitute teacher when the Giants called him back:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/new_york_giants_chase_blackbur.html

Reaction Score

It would take him 10 years of teaching to make the NFL league minimum salary ($465k).

Reaction Score
Congratulations for winning the award for the worst post of the year (non Carl Spackler Division).

You beat me to it. What an a##. Robbie gave four years to this program and only left after he graduated.

Yes, players are slaves who can't run their lives the way they want if it inconveniences you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom