RIP: Pat Summitt | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RIP: Pat Summitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While my basketball loyalties have always been with Stanford and UConn, and I often found myself rooting against Tennessee more often than not, there was never a time I rooted against Pat. The games against Tennessee were always the ones circled on the calendar because they were the measuring stick games. She will be forever missed and will forever be an inspiration to millions of people (not just women, and not just in basketball). RIP Pat.

This was something I posted this on my Facebook this morning:

I may never have had the honor of meeting Pat Summitt, but I had the honor of seeing this incredible woman coach for 11 seasons. I've been able to see her competitiveness, her drive, her determination, and that famous glare on the sidelines. I've also been able to see her kindness, her compassion, and her charm. Pat Summitt is a name that reaches far beyond just the University of Tennessee, her name is one that reaches even farther beyond women's basketball. The sports world as a whole lost a true icon, and a legend. There will never be another like her.

Reaction Score
Pat was the mother of modern women's hoops and we must all be indebted to her. Without her, one can argue, there would be no Geno, whom we love so dearly.

God bless you Pat, your legacy lives on, and may you rest in peace.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
At a time like this, it's completely churlish of me to take umbrage with that beautiful statement. But Muffet has not learned (not the first time, either) that absolutes invariably hurt other people. Why is Pat the "one voice" everyone respected? Can't it simply be said that Pat's voice was always respected? I learned this lesson the hard way, that absolutes invariably are seen as competitive statements that diminish all others. I'm sure she meant nothing of that here, and again, apologies for being combative during a time of reflection.

"The living have envy to contend with, while those who are no longer in our path are honored with a goodwill into which rivalry does not enter." Thucydides book 2.

Geno himself has also spoken in absolutes about Pat so I doubt he is offended by Muffet's quote. I enjoyed reading both of their kind words. His quote is below.

University of Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma:

“We don’t have a long history in women’s basketball; the history before Tennessee and before Pat Summitt was kind of checkered because there wasn’t a lot of media attention. There wasn’t a lot of interest in the game. There wasn’t a lot of support from universities. So it is a short history, and during that short history, there’s one person for a long time, nobody else was even in that category. There was no competition among coaches; there was only Pat Summitt. Nobody else. Other people took their turn at getting their 15 minutes of fame, but when people talked about women’s college basketball in America, it was Pat Summitt and Tennessee. When you get on the cover of Time Magazine… When is the last time a women’s team coach got on the cover of Time Magazine? It doesn’t happen. So for that to happen, it is saying a lot. Our sport is synonymous with Pat Summitt and Pat Summitt is synonymous with women’s basketball.”

Read more at Dishin & Swishin: The World of Women's Hoops: Basketball world reacts: Thoughts & Comments on the Passing of Pat Summitt

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Rest In Peace Coach Pat Summitt.

The SECN is having a Paul Finebaum Show right now with a retrospective and interviews. If you can get the SEC Network it is really well done.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Thoughts and prayers to the Summitt family and LV Nation. Your heartbreak is felt by all those who are fans of WCBB.

Pat Summitt will always be the legend and the pioneer. Nothing will ever change that.

Know that she is with God and all his blessings.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Geno himself has also spoken in absolutes about Pat so I doubt he is offended by Muffet's quote. I enjoyed reading both of their kind words. His quote is below.

University of Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma:

“We don’t have a long history in women’s basketball; the history before Tennessee and before Pat Summitt was kind of checkered because there wasn’t a lot of media attention. There wasn’t a lot of interest in the game. There wasn’t a lot of support from universities. So it is a short history, and during that short history, there’s one person for a long time, nobody else was even in that category. There was no competition among coaches; there was only Pat Summitt. Nobody else. Other people took their turn at getting their 15 minutes of fame, but when people talked about women’s college basketball in America, it was Pat Summitt and Tennessee. When you get on the cover of Time Magazine… When is the last time a women’s team coach got on the cover of Time Magazine? It doesn’t happen. So for that to happen, it is saying a lot. Our sport is synonymous with Pat Summitt and Pat Summitt is synonymous with women’s basketball.”

Read more at Dishin & Swishin: The World of Women's Hoops: Basketball world reacts: Thoughts & Comments on the Passing of Pat Summitt

In the male dominated world of sports, Pat was (and still is) probably the most well known and respected female head coach in the US. She was the only household name among women's basketball coaches in the 80s/90s and was highly thought of by everyone. Even all of the guys in the "women's basketball sucks" crowd knew who she was and respected Summitt as a coach. You don't see that universal respect with other female coaches like you do with Pat. I think this is what Muffett was echoing in her statement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I posted this over on the men's board but I'll copy it here as any Lady Vol guests are more likely to see it here...

Sad news. I'm sorry to hear of her passing. Back in the day, Coach Summitt was first our most feared opponent and then our most hated rival. While we were competing against each other, the Vols were the team we most wanted to beat and the game we looked forward to on the schedule. It was a classic rivalry which became "must see basketball" and drew in fans who otherwise would not have watched woman's basketball. While I am sad for all that know and will miss her, I am happy that she is now free of all ailment and infirmity.

RIP Coach Summitt.

Reaction Score
Patricia Sue Head Summitt Obituary

June 14, 1952 - June 28, 2016

“You win in life with people.”

This is one simple statement that Patricia Sue Head Summitt embodied, lived by and passed on to so many throughout her 64 years of life. She ‘won’ every day of her life because of the relationships she developed, nurtured and cherished. Relationships with her family and friends. Relationships with players, coaches, and fans. And most importantly, a strong relationship with her Lord and Savior, .

On Tuesday, June 28 2016, Pat passed away peacefully, following a courageous battle with early onset dementia, “Alzheimer’s Type.” This disease attacked a lifetime of precious memories, memories that she has now won back as she rests in her eternal home. Memories that will live on in each and every relationship she developed throughout her life.

Born to the late-Richard and Hazel Albright Head on June 14, 1952, in Clarksville, Tenn., Pat was the fourth of five children. Her tireless work ethic was developed early in life as she handled a variety of daily chores on her family’s farm, while never missing a day of school. She worked hard to keep up with her three older brothers, who taught her the game of basketball – a game that would later become a passion and profession for her.

After graduating from Cheatham County High in Ashland City in 1970, she went on to the University of Tennessee-Martin, earning a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1974 and leading the women’s basketball team to two national championship tournaments. Her ability to be a leader on the basketball court was evident, and shortly after graduating, she accepted a position at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville as the head coach of the women’s basketball team – as a 22-year old.

For the next 38 years, the farm girl from Henrietta, Tenn. would impact the game of women’s basketball like no one in the history of the sport. She guided the Lady Vols to eight NCAA championships, 32 combined Southeastern Conference titles and became the winningest NCAA D-1 basketball coach of all time on March 22, 2005. She was named the NCAA Coach of the Year seven times and the Naismith Coach of the Century in 2000.

Pat also excelled internationally, as both a coach and player. As a player, she was a co-captain of the 1976 U.S. women’s team, earning the silver medal during the Olympic Games held in Montreal. She then went on to coach the U.S. Junior National and U.S. National teams to multiple championships and medals, culminating with a magical run as head coach of the 1984 U.S. Women’s Olympic team, leading them to the gold medal during the XXIII Olympiad in Los Angeles.

Of all the records, awards, and stats, Pat would point to one number as the most significant in her career – 161. This is the number of Lady Vols who contributed to the 1,098 wins over the span of her illustrious career. To these 161 student-athletes she was more than a coach – she was a friend, mentor and a loving mother.

Motherhood suited Pat, and on September 21, 1990, she and R.B. Summitt II had their first and only child, Ross “Tyler” Summitt. The relationship between a mother and son is a special one, and they had an unbreakable bond built on their love for God and for one another. They also shared a passion for the game of basketball, a game that would provide the two of them many unique moments and milestones, side by side.

She was most proud of one special moment they shared that outshines all the others. On May 5, 2012, Pat and Tyler were baptized together. On this day, they decided together to go public with their faith and professed their love for and acceptance of as their Lord and Savior. On this day, they created the ultimate and eternal memory, together.

Pat is survived by her mother, Hazel Albright Head; son, Ross “Tyler” Summitt (AnDe); sister, Linda; brothers, Tommy (Deloris), Charles (Mitzi) and Kenneth (Debbie).

A private service and burial for family and friends will be held in Middle Tennessee. A public service to celebrate her life will take place at Thompson-Boling Arena, on the campus of the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Details for the celebration of life will be shared at a later date.

Memorial gifts may be made to The Pat Summitt Foundation by visiting www.patsummitt.org/donate.
What a wonderfully written obituary. It surely captured her in a wonderful light. I have to say that she was a passionate caring person who touched the lives of many young women and she was an ambassador for women's basketball. She was the person who first put women's basketball in the spotlight and she helped keep it there for a very long time. My sympathies to her friends and family and to the many people who she touched in her lifetime. She built a legacy at Tennessee and I feel for any family that has a loved one who slowly loses themselves to the insidious effects of Altzheimers. So sad.

Reaction Score
Great admiration for Patricia. She not only made Tenn. Vols great, but let us not forget that she made us " Great'. Her attitude of 'Play any team, anytime at anyplace, allowed us to play her #1 team & we came out winners' ! That propelled us to top tier status. May that 'Great Coach' in the sky. receive her into His eternal reward !

Reaction Score
RIP, Pat Summit. We have lost a great member of the coaching family. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.

Reaction Score
The end of an era. It still doesn't seem real. Just 5 years ago she was coaching looking like the immortal icon she was. Now she is gone. Just like that. It doesn't seem fair. We are all worse off today. The memories and moments she were a part of, that we all experienced and grew up with, will forever live on.

Reaction Score
Simply put,she was failure's worst enemy.

Attachments

• patsummitt.jpg
    patsummitt.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 30
Reaction Score
For all of us who participate in this wonderful board and derive so much satisfaction and learning from our interactions , we can thank in large part Pat Summit for that. Its not clear whether this board would exist , at least in its intensity and its graciousness, without the leadership of this great person. Although I've never met her, I'd like to thank her for her part in enriching the lives of others.

Reaction Score
Rest In Peace Coach Pat Summitt.

The SECN is having a Paul Finebaum Show right now with a retrospective and interviews. If you can get the SEC Network it is really well done.

I watched part of it and yes it was very well done.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This thread is for honoring the memory of Pat Summitt, not getting huffy about perceived insults to Geno or UConn. Please start a new thread for those.

Reaction Score
UConn WBB is not where it is today without Pat Summitt and Tennessee. I used to hate to see her on the sidelines, all decked out in orange. Every game seemed like a national championship final. But, to be the best, you have to beat the best.

R.I.P. Coach. Thank you for all you did for the game.

Reaction Score
My sincerest condolences to the Summitt family, and all of VolNation. RIP Coach Summit, your greatness will never be forgotten.

Reaction Score
rough rough week here on rock top. thanks to all UCONN fans for their nice comments about Pat. i've never seen a death impact so many people in this town. she was a force of nature. i want to share Cierra Burdick's account of the last time she saw Pat. such a touching story. sorry if it's been posted already.

Godspeed Coach Summitt. Rest forever in peace with your Heavenly Father

Former player to Pat Summitt: ‘I am who I am largely because of who you are’

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
rough rough week here on rock top. thanks to all UCONN fans for their nice comments about Pat. i've never seen a death impact so many people in this town. she was a force of nature. i want to share Cierra Burdick's account of the last time she saw Pat. such a touching story. sorry if it's been posted already.

Godspeed Coach Summitt. Rest forever in peace with your Heavenly Father

Former player to Pat Summitt: ‘I am who I am largely because of who you are’
wow... deep, very personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members