RIP Marques Haynes - Harlem Globetrotter, Pioneer | The Boneyard

RIP Marques Haynes - Harlem Globetrotter, Pioneer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marques Haynes' dribbling skills wowed fans in more than 100 countries. He was a showstopper, a player who helped make the Harlem Globetrotters beloved ambassadors of basketball around the world.

"Marques was a pioneer, helping pave the way for people of all races to have opportunities to play basketball, and for the sport to explode on a global scale," Schneider said. "His unique and groundbreaking style of play set the tone for modern basketball as we know it. Anyone involved with basketball worldwide is indebted to Marques. He was the consummate Globetrotter."

Haynes, often called the greatest dribbler in basketball history, died Friday in El Paso, Texas, of natural causes, the Globetrotters said. He was 89.

[LINK]

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And to tie it in to the Boneyard, former CT high school star and non-UConn recruit Tracy Lis played with Haynes' Harlem Magicians on occasion.

HGN

Reaction Score
Marques Haynes' dribbling skills wowed fans in more than 100 countries. He was a showstopper, a player who helped make the Harlem Globetrotters beloved ambassadors of basketball around the world.

"Marques was a pioneer, helping pave the way for people of all races to have opportunities to play basketball, and for the sport to explode on a global scale," Schneider said. "His unique and groundbreaking style of play set the tone for modern basketball as we know it. Anyone involved with basketball worldwide is indebted to Marques. He was the consummate Globetrotter."

Haynes, often called the greatest dribbler in basketball history, died Friday in El Paso, Texas, of natural causes, the Globetrotters said. He was 89.

[LINK]
Thanks for the link Java.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Marques was arguably the best and almost certainly the most entertaining. When one thinks of dribbling, he is the first person who comes to mind. RIP.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I had the chance to meet Marques and he was an amazing guy. He was a friend of someone who worked in my office in Hartford and stopped in to visit him when the team was in town. During the course of a bit over an hour he was brought around and introduced to about 100 people and willingly signed autographs. The guy he knew had an office close to mine, and on my way by, as it happened just when Marques was about to leave. he waved at me and called me by name. I was floored. Later, I asked my co-worker about Haynes using my name and he said that the guy pretty much had a steel trap memory and most likely remembered the name of almost every one he met that day. I can't remember my own name half the time, let alone 100 people I'd just met.

In the days when the Trotters often showed off some real hoops skills, Marques was as good as it gets as a ball handler. RIP.

Reaction Score
In 1954 I was in a movie with Marques Haynes, Goose Tatum and Sweetwater Clifton. I even had a speaking part (off camera), "What did he give ya?" The movie was "Go Man Go" a bio of Abe Saperstein. Alas, it was not a springboard to Hollywood for me. The scene was made in Bergenfield, New Jersey.

One day, a film crew showed up at our local grammar school and filmed a couple of scenes with kids playing basketball in the background. A guy came over and asked if anyone wanted to be in the movie. We all raised our hands. Another guy came over to me and said, say this, (the above line). I did it and that was it. No contract, no paperwork at all.

There were actors there to do the scenes, but no one I recognized. It wasn't a bad film and starred Sidney Poitier. The movie was on tv a couple of times, years ago.

Reaction Score
In 1954 I was in a movie with Marques Haynes, Goose Tatum and Sweetwater Clifton. I even had a speaking part (off camera), "What did he give ya?" The movie was "Go Man Go" a bio of Abe Saperstein. Alas, it was not a springboard to Hollywood for me. The scene was made in Bergenfield, New Jersey.

One day, a film crew showed up at our local grammar school and filmed a couple of scenes with kids playing basketball in the background. A guy came over and asked if anyone wanted to be in the movie. We all raised our hands. Another guy came over to me and said, say this, (the above line). I did it and that was it. No contract, no paperwork at all.

There were actors there to do the scenes, but no one I recognized. It wasn't a bad film and starred Sidney Poitier. The movie was on tv a couple of times, years ago.
This one really brings the tears to my eyes, to me this is an emotional loss. I played a bit of BB before Marques Haynes, Goose and Sweetwater--they made the ball do everything impossible , yet possible. Watching them all visions of race or cultural differences expired, what was left was superb talent and entertainment. I love them. God rest your soul Marques you've done your work--you for two hours early on, you made all racial difference impossible to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom