RIP Chuck Noll | The Boneyard

RIP Chuck Noll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Chuck Noll coached the Steelers for many years and won four Super Bowls. Then came Bill Cowher, who won one. Mike Tomlin was next and he has won two more (and seemingly secure in the job). Since 1969, the Steelers have had three coaches and for each it was their first and only head coaching job. Seems like the Rooneys have the right formula.

Hmmmm. This guy Auriemma has only had one head coaching job, too. And Kevin Ollie.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He created one of the most dominant teams ever: power running game, explosive passing game, and tough, tough defense. There is a reason that 9 of the 22 players are in the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score
He created one of the most dominant teams ever: power running game, explosive passing game, and tough, tough defense. There is a reason that 9 of the 22 players are in the Hall of Fame.
My thoughts are that those 9 players GAVE Chuck Noll 4 super bowl championships and that they also made him a Hall of Famer, not the other way around. I'm not suggesting he wasn't a good guy but the more I read about him, the less credit I want to give him for the success of those teams. His overall winning percentage is quite mediocre, particularly when you consider the talent level he had on his roster. If he were to be given any real credit, it may have been in helping make great draft and trade decisions but even then, he had just gotten to the Steelers when some of the core of people were drafted that made those Steelers into the juggernaut that they ended up becoming so it's possible it may have been others who were responsible for drafting or trading for them. Even if he was wholly responsible for them, that would only suggest to me that he should maybe revered as a great general manager, not so much as a coach. They had so much talent both offensively and defensively on that team that a multitude of head coaches would have won multiple Super Bowls with them. I know many may disagree but with that talent, maybe he should be criticized for not winning MORE. How many Super Bowls would Bill Bellichek have coaching that team? He's won three over the years with very few skill position players of the magnitude of what Noll had. How many players on the Patriots over these last 14 years will ever sniff the Hall of Fame, outside of Tom Brady????How many coaches in the history of the NFL had as many fantastic skill position players? Chuck Noll may have been a good coach but I'm not inclined to put him up there with the best of all time and I think it's baloney to suggest that. I know the goal is to win Super Bowl titles but with the talent level that he had, how is it possible that he only won about 55% of his games???? I actually think that's almost pathetic. What is Belechik's winning percentage, something like 66% with no where near the talent level that was on those Steeler teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting question in terms of the players or the coach getting the credit. They were the dregs early in his career, which largely accounts for many of the losses. I'll let others debate the point.

I took a quick look at other dynasties in the last 40-50 years or so to determine how many players made the HOF. KC under Stram and the undefeated Dolfins had 6 each. Lombardi's Packers had 11--basically half the team. I think the consensus on that one is that the coach gets much of the credit.

Reaction Score
My thoughts are that those 9 players GAVE Chuck Noll 4 super bowl championships and that they also made him a Hall of Famer, not the other way around. I'm not suggesting he wasn't a good guy but the more I read about him, the less credit I want to give him for the success of those teams. His overall winning percentage is quite mediocre, particularly when you consider the talent level he had on his roster. If he were to be given any real credit, it may have been in helping make great draft and trade decisions but even then, he had just gotten to the Steelers when some of the core of people were drafted that made those Steelers into the juggernaut that they ended up becoming so it's possible it may have been others who were responsible for drafting or trading for them. Even if he was wholly responsible for them, that would only suggest to me that he should maybe revered as a great general manager, not so much as a coach. They had so much talent both offensively and defensively on that team that a multitude of head coaches would have won multiple Super Bowls with them. I know many may disagree but with that talent, maybe he should be criticized for not winning MORE. How many Super Bowls would Bill Bellichek have coaching that team? He's won three over the years with very few skill position players of the magnitude of what Noll had. How many players on the Patriots over these last 14 years will ever sniff the Hall of Fame, outside of Tom Brady????How many coaches in the history of the NFL had as many fantastic skill position players? Chuck Noll may have been a good coach but I'm not inclined to put him up there with the best of all time and I think it's baloney to suggest that. I know the goal is to win Super Bowl titles but with the talent level that he had, how is it possible that he only won about 55% of his games???? I actually think that's almost pathetic. What is Belechik's winning percentage, something like 66% with no where near the talent level that was on those Steeler teams.
This is not the time or place to be pushing a football team or a coach . This ,I thought was a UCONN basketball forum not a forum to promote ones football team and coach.I felt after reading your crybaby rant that I was on one of the Tenn. forums where they cry and cry and degrade other teams.A lot, IF NOT ALL on this forum WILL NOT LIKE ME,SOME WILL HATE ME,

for the comment that I am about make!!!Buzzboy,crying for his PATRIOTS...And his Flopper QB.And because his team only has a few Super Bowls.You are incorrect,Noll was a great coach.Beyond your Bellichek.If not for injures Noll would have had 2 more SB's.But I am not crying about that ,thats team sports to cover for injury and the Steelers did not cover them self by having a suitable replacement,that was Pittsburghs fault..Notice I am not like the ND gang crying about their injury this year.I said it was Pittsburghs fault not having a suitable sub.Bottom line>>>YOU ARE OUT OF PLACE SAYING THOSE NEGATIVE RANTS ABOUT A MAN WHO HAS JUST PASSED AWAY....I AM SORRY TO THOSE WHO I HAVE INSULTED BUT I COULD NOT STAND BY AND READ HIS CRYBABY RANTS ABOUT CHUCK. >>>BALONEY>>>?YOU CAN STICK YOUR BALONEY YOU KNOW WHERE CRY BABY......LIKE ME OR NOT,ALL ON THIS FORUM>>>I STILL AM A UCONN WOMANS BASKETBALL FAN...GO UCONN.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Noll had great talent and a very high winning percentage in the 1970's, but he also coached the Steelers in the 1980's and early 1990's. During that time, the talent was less and he did not win any Super Bowls. The Steelers were never terrible (no 4-12 seasons or anything like that), but nothing like the 1970's.

Considering the absolutely abysmal state of the Steeler franchise before he arrived (the perennial doormat of the league in the 1960's), he needs to be given credit for turning around a culture that was very poisonous when he arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom