RIP Buddy Ryan | The Boneyard

RIP Buddy Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
RIP Buddy Ryan

Crazy mofo.

Points to anyone that can write why the 46 Defense was called the 46 - without googling. Bigger points to anyone played against Gary Fencik at Yale. I know some 70's guys around here.

Training camp time of year. I hope they been running and hitting sleds. Be nice to block again as a team.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I can't remember the name. But one of the Bears' players, half linebacker and half defensive back, would be moved around the defense ,usually the line, looking for a weakness in the blocking schemes. He wore the number forty six. Without Google the name Dave Duerson comes to mind but I don't think that is the right guy.

Reaction Score
Close enough. It was a guy named Doug Plank wore #46 as FS. Safety was key position, smack in middle of defensive formation, only player deep. All 10 others up close to LOS. 4 dl's shaded with SS on edge. Two lb's weakside/opposite. One MLB up tight. Two CB's in single coverage. Defense ran roughshod in NFL for a spell until offenses could adjust and get it blocked.

Fencik was SS and wore #45

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-6-the-46-defense/?_r=0

Simple theme was to overload every gap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fwiw: Don Brown's D was essentially modeled on the 46 gap pressure overload theme. College QB's and offenses in general aren't well prepared and experienced to handle it. When we played against senior QB's that went on to NFL camps, and NFL with crazy don, we lost.

I like Coach Diaco's defensive approach. Its solid, very little weakness to exploit, and not passive to do it.

If we can only start blocking with some attitude again on offense. Good things await.

Reaction Score
Alls I know is that defense was designed so that more defenders than blockers were/are in the box to get to the QB...You just didn't know which extra guy or 2 (or 3) was coming after the QB after the football was snapped.

Reaction Score
Alls I know is that defense was designed so that more defenders than blockers were/are in the box to get to the QB...You just didn't know which extra guy or 2 (or 3) was coming after the QB after the football was snapped.

Huge weakness though - one single FS covering the entire field outside the box. Its arguable that 'west coast' offenses based on 3step and 5step QB drops timed with WR footsteps became very effective because it was the only way to beat the defense. Common misconception that it was a pass first D, it was devastating against run first, which made pass rush so effective. But gave up huge plays, and eventually faded as a base D concept.

Reaction Score
Buddy was also one of the first to make bounty hunting a regular practice in NFL games. Crazy mofo.

Reaction Score
Common misconception that it was a pass first D, it was devastating against run first, which made pass rush so effective. But gave up huge plays, and eventually faded as a base D concept.

My experience with the 4-6 only goes as far as video games, but I always used it in the red zone since there was no threat of a long pass and it is great against the run.

Reaction Score
My experience with the 4-6 only goes as far as video games, but I always used it in the red zone since there was no threat of a long pass and it is great against the run.

I guess I'm dating myself. The '85 Bears were nasty. Dan Marino's Dolphins only team to beat them if I'm not mistaken. Walter Payton's only super bowl, but huge controversy because Ditka pulled him out on a goal line run and he dudn't get a TD in the game? I think? Crazy team. Crazy year. Refrigerator Perry. Jim McMahon. And Buddy Ryan's 46 D in its hey day.

Im hopeful for a great 2016 from our Huskies.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm dating myself. The '85 Bears were nasty. Dan Marino's Dolphins only team to beat them if I'm not mistaken. Walter Payton's only super bowl, but huge controversy because Ditka pulled him out on a goal line run and he dudn't get a TD in the game? I think? Crazy team. Crazy year. Refrigerator Perry. Jim McMahon. And Buddy Ryan's 46 D in its hey day.

I'm old enough to remember those teams and the Super Bowl Shuffle. That defense was incredible.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score

Yes, he was pulled for The Fridge. Talk about a smack in the mouth. No TD's Payton. Bears lost just the one game on Monday Night Football in Miami.

Reaction Score
Im sure Buddy loved to watch Super Bowl 50 especially seeing Cam Newton eat grass.

Reaction Score
Back then the Fridge was a novelty & all the rage because of his size - now he'd be overmatched by some of the armored tanks that weigh in as linemen in today's NFL.

The one Bears loss to Miami that year was one of the highest rated MNF games of all-time. The Dolphins were out to protect the undefeated season of their '72 team and they approached the game that way. Marino's quick release and a pass-happy offense was probably the only way to beat that Bears defense, and it worked.

By the way, trivia question: Jim McMahon has 2 Super Bowl rings - what team was the other ring with (without looking)?

Reaction Score
Back then the Fridge was a novelty & all the rage because of his size - now he'd be overmatched by some of the armored tanks that weigh in as linemen in today's NFL.

The one Bears loss to Miami that year was one of the highest rated MNF games of all-time. The Dolphins were out to protect the undefeated season of their '72 team and they approached the game that way. Marino's quick release and a pass-happy offense was probably the only way to beat that Bears defense, and it worked.

By the way, trivia question: Jim McMahon has 2 Super Bowl rings - what team was the other ring with (without looking)?

96 Green Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger