"Righting The Ship" - Dick Weiss | The Boneyard

"Righting The Ship" - Dick Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Articles by people like Weiss are important because they help shape opinion. Even though he's a bball writer through and through he has contacts with other sports writers throughout the industry.

UConn can use whomever is willing to shake the pom poms for them.

Reaction Score
Why is it so hard to write a story like that? Truth and reasonable observations. Good read.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Weiss was let go by the NY Post (or News) this past year and wrote this for the conference website. He also wrote that POS in 2012 that UConn was being punished for putting football ahead of basketball. He's a clown.

Reaction Score
Weiss was let go by the NY Post (or News) this past year and wrote this for the conference website. He also wrote that POS in 2012 that UConn was being punished for putting football ahead of basketball. He's a clown.

There are boodles and boodles of sports writers in America who are clowns (though not all have as bad a hair piece as DW).

So what do you take umbrage to in this specific article?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Interesting...Trest-why do you take comfort in someone else's misfortune. you're the clown here. Having solace when an individual is part of a newspaper layoff is pretty bad. He has a tremendous following nationally as well as in the NY (metro)area, an area UCONN is gaining market penetration,.....needed if we're to be considered for the B1G.

His talents and reputation are incredible>
TREST, read the following on his incredible accolades and how he is reinventing himself after 40 years with the Philadelphia and NY Daily News.

Fellow BY'ers read this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...0131204/dick-weiss-hoops-new-york-daily-news/

Having Weiss on board is a very positive thing.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I somewhat get where trest is coming from. When I first read this article a few days ago....I was happy to see Weiss talking about UConn and thought it was a very good thing. Then I realized it was the AAC site which means he pretty much is going to be a shill for the conference and conference teams and it made me think this was more of a fluff piece and not an unbiased opinion on UConn's situation.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Good read. Fair but promising. It's about time that we read an article reminding non-UCONN fans that we have a very big NFL presence and had a decent amount of success pre-Pasqualoni.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Interesting...Trest-why do you take comfort in someone else's misfortune. you're the clown here. Having solace when an individual is part of a newspaper layoff is pretty bad. He has a tremendous following nationally as well as in the NY (metro)area, an area UCONN is gaining market penetration,.....needed if we're to be considered for the B1G.

TREST, read the following on his incredible accolades and how he is reinventing himself after 40 years with the Philadelphia and NY Daily News.

Fellow BY'ers read this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131204/ -weiss-hoops-new-york-daily-news/

See Shaky's post: Weiss is now a paid shill for a conference website that no one but the fans of that conference will read. And absolutely killed UConn a year ago when acting as the mouthpiece for (probably) the St. John's president.

Reaction Score
I somewhat get where trest is coming from. When I first read this article a few days ago....I was happy to see Weiss talking about UConn and thought it was a very good thing. Then I realized it was the AAC site which means he pretty much is going to be a shill for the conference and conference teams and it made me think this was more of a fluff piece and not an unbiased opinion on UConn's situation.

True the platform is for positive-spin pieces. However, he backs what he says with strong, fact-based support that IMO is difficult to refute. So this is a good thing.

Reaction Score

Pretty much. Basketball people are so weird.

Reaction Score

Fellow BY'ers read this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co... -weiss-hoops-new-york-daily-news/

Why is he no longer working for the Post?

Reaction Score
Why is he no longer working for the Post?

Zoo, best I could find was that he was part of a large budget cut layoff at the News but still contributes there and again with articles.

Reaction Score
See Shaky's post: Weiss is now a paid shill for a conference website that no one but the fans of that conference will read. And absolutely killed UConn a year ago when acting as the mouthpiece for (probably) the St. John's president.

I am for any positive communication whether independently written, which he is still doing and at liberty with other media, or as a writer for the conference.
Anytime the conference can have positive accolades is a good thing for it's member schools, especially if we could step up and WIN.
Secondly, any positive communication about the schools/conference and it's student athletes assists down the road in raising awareness (should we not get into the B1G or ACC ) in the next go around
of TV contract renegotiation.
Understand your feelings regarding St John's Prez etc. but I'm choosing to take a positive attitude into the future and anything that will assist or put us there. GO HUSKIES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom