Rick Pitino's Big East Plan | The Boneyard

Rick Pitino's Big East Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.rickpitino.com/rpitino/articledetail.aspx?ArticleId=2526&Id=47

Problem:
We are not taking into strong consideration what women’s sports and certain men’s sports will endure with all these conference realignments. Unlike football and men’s basketball programs, these teams do not fly private charters to their games. So including Texas and other states west of the Mississippi, this poses a major travel problem with teams having 7 or 8 hours connecting flights if not delayed. The same is true for west schools traveling east. These athletes deserve better treatment athletically and academically. Before everyone gets carried away with mega football conferences, they must realize the incredible turmoil that non football and men’s basketball athletes will go through in their athletic as well as academic lives. All of these sports will be greatly affected by this difficult geographic alignment.

Solutions:
1)-Presidents are the leaders of our Universities. They are well schooled in budgets, fundraising, research, and in all specific areas that make universities run as a successful machine. They should approve and have final say on everything. However, when it comes to athletics, they should defer strongly to their conference commissioner and their athletic director.

2) - Let the commissioner lead and support him. If some university thinks the grass is greener, let them move on, pay their penance, and find out the truth. There is a laundry list of great universities wanting to be a part of the BIG EAST and that's the attitude we need in our conference.

3) -Admit Temple immediately. They have a highly competitive football program with outstanding basketball tradition. They are a past BIG EAST member and an excellent school academically. And as all my friends say in Philadelphia, they are located in BIG EAST territory.
4) Offer Air Force, Navy, and Army to join in football only.

5) -Location, Location, Location. We are far enough (Louisville) to be part of the BIG EAST. Let’s think of all of our other sports from this point on and make them a priority.

6) - Sit down with Villanova and ask them to make a major commitment to football.

7) -Do not sit down at a conference table with people already meeting with their divorce lawyer at the bargaining table - which means trust the commissioner and let him do his job. If he does not get it done, then it falls in his lap and he pays the consequence. I have known this commissioner since he was 24 years of age. He is extremely bright and knows the BIG EAST and their dealings better than anyone we can deal with at this point in time.

8) Although we will miss Syracuse and Pitt, the other powers in the BIG EAST will more than uphold our reputation to be one of America’s best conferences."

Reaction Score
In other news . . . . . . . Lville to the first conference that offers!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He left out the part that would actually make this viable. Getting ND for football.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He makes as much sense as anyone. The problem is trust. No one trusts that the other football schools will leave if they get an offer. That is, and has been a problem for the BE along with its relatively smaller media offers. The combination of the two things make Pitino's ideas moot.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like the man even more

Reaction Score
He is being realistic. L ville can compete for a be title in fball not so much in sec. with pitt cuse gone more room at the top in bball.

Reaction Score
the main part i have a problem with as outlined above, is that he seems to place a lot of faith in the BE commissioner. i also strongly disagree with his assertion in point 1 that the AD and conference commissioner should be held in such high esteem by the school President and that the school pres should largely defer to the conferenc commissioner. the conference commissioner is basically a wannabe empire builder whose sole interest is increasing his paycheck by creating a bigger league. he doesn't have the schools' academics or student athletes in his top 5 priorities. i'd rather Susan Herbst make her own decisions.

Reaction Score
the main part i have a problem with as outlined above, is that he seems to place a lot of faith in the BE commissioner. i also strongly disagree with his assertion in point 1 that the AD and conference commissioner should be held in such high esteem by the school President and that the school pres should largely defer to the conferenc commissioner. the conference commissioner is basically a wannabe empire builder whose sole interest is increasing his paycheck by creating a bigger league. he doesn't have the schools' academics or student athletes in his top 5 priorities. i'd rather Susan Herbst make her own decisions.
Really? The league needs leadership not idiot school presidents making things worse.
From Pete Thamel (New York Times reporter):

"University presidents do not mind leaving leagues so bludgeoned that they need tourniquets, but killing one would be frowned upon. The only people who do not realize this are UConn officials, who are tripping over themselves to leak stories about their unhappiness with the Big East, which hurts that league's efforts to look stable and expand. But UConn, which has no athletic director and a new president, may have nowhere to go. Because most realignment decisions are driven by football, joining Massachusetts in the Mid-American Conference could be UConn's best available option at this point."​

Reaction Score
I liked his screed until he got to the part about miscellaneous Nova.

Reaction Score
I like everything but the bit about Marinatto. That guy is not the man who should be commissioner. He might be a good deputy, but that's about it.

Of course all of the PC guys are going to rally around him. Duh.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, you really think you're better positioned to judge how much of this is on Providence and how much on the schools and Presidents themselves than Pitino is? If so, why? And, if not, shouldn't his statement rationally make you question your rush to judgment?

Reaction Score
Really? The league needs leadership not idiot school presidents making things worse.

"University presidents do not mind leaving leagues so bludgeoned that they need tourniquets, but killing one would be frowned upon. The only people who do not realize this are UConn officials, who are tripping over themselves to leak stories about their unhappiness with the Big East, which hurts that league's efforts to look stable and expand. But UConn, which has no athletic director and a new president, may have nowhere to go. Because most realignment decisions are driven by football, joining Massachusetts in the Mid-American Conference could be UConn's best available option at this point."​

Herbst hasn't said anything about our unhappiness about the BE, only that we'll always do what's best for UConn, which is a no-brainer, canned response anyhow and i dont' see why anyone would put too much into it. if you're saying you'd rather let Marinnetto make our decisions i really don't know what to say to you other than i disagree entirely.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

You do realize that Pete Thamel is a Syracuse grad who's main goal in this whole thing is to make Syracuse look good. Seriously... MAC? Grow up.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Pete Thamel is a Syracuse grad who's main goal in this whole thing is to make Syracuse look good. Seriously... MAC? Grow up.
Sure he was teasing UConn fans, but his point is valid. We need to show some solidarity. That's just my viewpoint.

Reaction Score
Sure he was teasing UConn fans, but his point is valid. We need to show some solidarity. That's just my viewpoint.
So it's valid to say that what Pitt and Cuse did was perfectly fine for them to do, but in the aftermath their actions left behind, UConn looking out for it's own self interest is akin to murder? Excuse me if that comment does not exactly sit well with me or others.

Reaction Score

I don't even get Thamel's argument. Is he saying it's okay that Pitt and Cuse left the Big East, but UCONN has a moral duty to stick around and ensure it's continued viability? I think so, but it's such an insane idea I keep looking for some other hidden meaning.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
right because L'ville and WVU and RU wouldn't look to jump ship the first chance they get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom