Revisiting the last seven years of the UConn-Tennessee non-rivalry | The Boneyard

Revisiting the last seven years of the UConn-Tennessee non-rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As everyone knows, the UConn-Tennessee regular season game was disbanded in 2007. How close have the two teams since come to meeting in the tourney? Well, let's recap..

What happened- Uconn lost in the national semis to Stanford, thereby preventing a showdown with the LVs for the national championship.

How close the teams came from playing each other- couldn't have been closer.

What happened- the LVs struggled mightily all season and lost in the very first round of the tourney to Ball State.

How close the teams came from playing each other- not in the remote vicinity

What happened- Tennessee lost in the regional semis to Baylor.

How close the teams came from playing each other- kind of close. Tennessee, had they defeated the Bears, would have had a winnable game against Duke, and had they won that, would have faced UConn in the national semis. But Baylor did beat them pretty handily.

What happened- The Lady Vols were upset by Notre Dame in the regional finals

How close the teams came from playing each other- extremely close. If Tennessee wins that game, UConn and Tennessee would be playing in the national semis.

What happened- Tennessee lost to Baylor in the regional finals.

How close the teams came from playing each other- not especially. Tennessee would have had to beat Stanford- who'd defeated the LVs soundly during the regular season- in the national semis, and UConn narrowly lost to Notre Dame in OT on its side of the national semis.

What happened- Tennessee lost to Louisville in the regional finals.

How close the teams came from playing each other- pretty close. The LVs would have had to beat Cal, who was certainly a beatable opponent, in the national semis, before a hypothetical showdown for the NC.

What happened- Tennessee lost to Maryland in the regional semis.

How close the teams came from playing each other- not at all. UConn and Tennessee were on opposite sides of the bracket, and the LVs would have had to beat Louisville and Notre Dame to make it to the national championship game.

In summary, there have some near and some not-so-near misses, but in two seasons (2008 and 2011), the two squads were within a stone's throw of squaring off and rekindling the historic rivalry.

And the punchline: we're very, very close yet again. Tennessee's nearly miraculous escape from Gonzaga means that they get another run-in with talented Maryland. However, of the four #1 seeds, Maryland is the most eminently beatable. UConn is the #1 team in the land, South Carolina is 2-0 against Tennessee already (even if one of the games was pretty close), and Notre Dame also beat Tennessee in the regular season. Maryland, meanwhile, does look a bit less formidable. As for UConn, the only thing keeping the Huskies from the Final Four is #7 Dayton.

Now, I'm not saying it's guaranteed the two programs with 17 combined national championships will play for the first time in eight years. However, I am saying this may be close as it's been to happening in seven.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, LV fans would point out the discrepancy between Tennessee's results against Stanford this season versus UConn's, but indeed, the transitive property doesn't work all that consistently in sports.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Well, LV fans would point out the discrepancy between Tennessee's results against Stanford this season versus UConn's, but indeed, the transitive property doesn't work all that consistently in sports.

Incorrect. Most LV fans would agree that we'd be pummeled...who cares who beat Stanford. But...its a chance to play you guys and for us to learn. I'm all for it.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Incorrect. Most LV fans would agree that we'd be pummeled...who cares who beat Stanford. But...its a chance to play you guys and for us to learn. I'm all for it.

I'm a lady vol fan and I also agree that uconn is just to talented and way to many weapons. Maybe if we slowed the game WAY down, ala the way Villanova would play uconn, and they had a really bad shooting night, maybe just maybe we might have a chance. Of course Massey gives us a one percent chance of winning a game against uconn lol and in a seven game series Massey has us losing all the games by large margins. Maybe next year we can compete and possibly win, but this year highly doubtful

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's interesting, when I review the trip to Elite 8, how health/non-transfers play a part. We played a depleted RU team. We played a Texas team missing a starter. If we make it through Dayton and play TN, they're missing Izzy.

I'm not suggesting UConn wouldn't been these teams if they were at full strength, but I sure as heck wouldn't judge the competing programs by the effort they put up this year....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom