Returning players to be positive about | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Returning players to be positive about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If u saw it live I can't argue with you on that bro... fact is, though, the OL has got to be better. I think we'll see much better results from performances of our skilled guys if that happens ( WRs, RBs )

I agree. A couple of times I got the feeling that the WR's were thinking "he's not going to get it to me out here anyway". Still...

Reaction Score
That is what was frustrating about the game against Syracuse. The game was a blowout to start the 4th. The starters were awful on both sides of the ball. Why not use that opportunity to get some of the young OLinemen in the game to see what they have. Surely they couldn't be any worse then the starters. Don't burn any redshirts but someone lie Samra could have gotten some minutes and why not Joe Williams or DeLorenzo. On the Defensive side obviously the lose off Joseph has been huge as we have no pash rush anymore. We are using DT at DE who are not fast enough while Williams get's double teamed. Why not put in Norris for more minutes and why have we not seen any of Louis or Ademyi? Let's see what they can do especially in a blow out situation.

Reaction Score
Excellent point, seeing the burned redshirts spend all their time watching coach P frown on the sidelines is not making sense to me. Especially J Williams. Now that Masters is done there is no excuse for not seeing Samra get some reps. Put Pruitt back at DT and put Vann, Adeyemi and Louis in at DE. Get some speed after the QB.

Reaction Score
I think McCombs is going to be fine next year. His biggest problem is that he is being misused. They insist on running him between the tackles...yipes. As far as Osieki, I believe he is out with a concussion. in this day and age, knowing what we now know about the long term impacts, he's not coming back until he is completely back to normal. I'm not sold on our receivers, but I'm also not saying they won't be solid going forward. And I like Whitmer. I think he can be a solid college quarterback if he doesn't get killed behind our Maginot line...

Reaction Score
That is what was frustrating about the game against Syracuse. The game was a blowout to start the 4th. The starters were awful on both sides of the ball. Why not use that opportunity to get some of the young OLinemen in the game to see what they have. Surely they couldn't be any worse then the starters.

Dumb comment. If any of the "young OLinemen" were better as you presume, they'd be in there to start with. Why wait until next year to get them playing time. However, more importantly taking out any starter when you're behind is basically telling the rest of the team we might as well give up and go home. The starters have a lot of pride and fight in them no matter what the score. They're competitors. You obviously haven't been in the locker room or on the field with them.

Reaction Score
Dumb comment. If any of the "young OLinemen" were better as you presume, they'd be in there to start with. Why wait until next year to get them playing time. However, more importantly taking out any starter when you're behind is basically telling the rest of the team we might as well give up and go home. The starters have a lot of pride and fight in them no matter what the score. They're competitors. You obviously haven't been in the locker room or on the field with them.

The o-line needs a leader on the field - not on the sidlelines or in the coach's box. Somebody needs to take charge.

Reaction Score
If Samra was not ready then why did we burn his redshirt as the first injury happened last game? With Cruz and Bullock not starting at the beginning of the year why did we do that? Mateas can play guard I assume so he could play in that spot if needed as well. Were we trying to push someone else? At this point giving someone a shot is not throwing in the towel. Putting in the whole second string line IS doing that. We have tried some (very few) deep throws and the timing isn't there. I've seen Davis not look like he was at top speed and this can be worked on. This can be a 25-30 yard throw if we are getting pressed, it doesn't have to be a 50 yard throw. God knows we'd have to keep 8 in to block to do that. Joe Williams should get more than 2 carries/game in the remaining schedule.

Reaction Score
Dumb Comment? What's dumb about it. I didn't say or presume they would be better. I just said they couldn't be worse than what we had in there that night. Why not give them a quarter and see what they have as it couldn't have been any worse than what we were seeing. Sometimes players play better in game situations then in practice, not always but sometimes.

Reaction Score
As soon as I saw the title of the post, I immediately though of Adams. Like all safeties, he is going to go through growing pains, but he has talent, and a nose for the ball.

I think DeLorenzo is misused. He needs to be run between the tackles. He is not playing well on sweeps or stretch plays. But once he squares up, he is a load to bring down. That is why he needs to be given the ball on straight handoffs.

Geremy Davis struggles with consistency, but I think with experience, he will just get better and better.

Smallwood is Smallwood. A load at the point of attack. I want to see him playing OLB next year. Underrated pass rusher.

Smallwood should not be touched, MLB is his natural position... Thats like removing coach Foley from the O-line position!

DeLorenzo had a 20 yard run on a sweep that was called back, so I don't mind him running it to the outside a few times, but I agree he needs to run between the tackles a lot more!

Reaction Score
Smallwood should not be touched, MLB is his natural position... Thats like removing coach Foley from the O-line position!

DeLorenzo had a 20 yard run on a sweep that was called back, so I don't mind him running it to the outside a few times, but I agree he needs to run between the tackles a lot more!

I actually think 3-4 OLB is Smallwood's natural position. He can seal the edge and be an above average passrusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom