Report from today's Open Practice-Wow! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report from today's Open Practice-Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
In short, two rare players - rare players are not unusual for UConn, but especially with Stef, unique qualities the likes of which makes their absence all the more noticeable.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Great point RL- Stephanie leaving is probably not the magnitude- but I remember the first few pre season games after D left, one in the Civic Center vs Buffalo, or Albany I think. It was like a morgue- what a let down in every way. Losing Steph's personality is like a pin in the balloon- it's a "DoggyDaddy Downer"! You felt it at practice too.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
No, the players introduced themselves briefly at the beginning of the post-practice talks then left. It would have been nice to have the team spend a little more time with us, but they just finished two hrs of a hard practice and were about to pick-up dinner, so our time with them was brief. It was excellent and the generous amount of time Geno spends with us is amazing and appreciated. He truly appears to enjoy spending the time talking with us and never appears to be in a hurry to go. Just a great event to get the opportunity to attend.
JFC- if you have some more tidbits that I missed, or addl observations, or saw or heard a few of my observations differently- i would love to hear them!

Reaction Score
GENO: along with hot news on the recruiting front, this kind of "eyeballs on" reporting is what interests me the most. Much appreciated. I do have one question. When you launched the thread, you commented to the effect that this practice was "dramatically different'" (or an equivalent assertion) from previous years. Could you flesh that out a bit more?

CHI GG: Greetings. That was a surprise. If you were addressing me (looked like you probably were), you are in the wrong pew. The lead in quotes you provide were not mine.
In my many years on here, I've never said a word about Coach shortchanging the players by being away for Olympic teams etc. What I HAVE said is that, as obviously accomplished as he is, I saw several things some years back that he (like all of us) could improve on.....and in my view, as also stated, he improved on them over time.
Most recently in this regard, I put up a thread which made two points: I took issue with his use of personnel in the Stanford game, and I saw evident regression in the baseline inbounding of the ball (an area which needed improvement some time back, and in which improvement had taken place prior to Stanford. ).
(( IF I thought his work with national teams was creating a problem, you know me: I'd SAY so. I don't...and I haven't))

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Great point RL- Stephanie leaving is probably not the magnitude- but I remember the first few pre season games after D left, one in the Civic Center vs Buffalo, or Albany I think. It was like a morgue- what a let down in every way. Losing Steph's personality is like a pin in the balloon- it's a "DoggyDaddy Downer"! You felt it at practice too.

LOL - DoggyDaddy Downer...please let me know what he thinks of that. I would be interesting in hearing about it! :eek:

Reaction Score
After a 2 hr practice today- Geno answered qsts frankly for almost an hour.

Anyone who thinks this team will be anything like the past two years is dreaming.

Well, Tonyc (and a lot of people here) don't think this team will be like last year team, it is better! :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Losing "Steph" was never a big thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Losing Steph's personality is like a pin in the balloon- it's a "DoggyDaddy Downer"! You felt it at practice too.

Sorry...I am confused and I am not sure I get the reference. Call me dense or obtuse. What exactly is a "DoggyDaddy Downer"?

Reaction Score
You really need an "F" for this..:rolleyes:

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
LOL - DoggyDaddy Downer...please let me know what he thinks of that. I would be interesting in hearing about it! :eek:
It was a harmless reference - off the cuff when I went to write Doggy Downer- it oh - I don't need problems with any of the "big Puba's" on this board!!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well, Tonyc (and a lot of people here) don't think this team will be like last year team, it is better! :)
PV I am a dreamer and I will disagree with Geno. This team will be a great team. Will they be as great as last years team? IMO the bench lacks experience. The starters are great. They need to jell and theyre not far from that but trying to compare a team of starters with experience to this team is tuff. We will win it all this season. From what Ive seen there is no team that can challenge UConn unless UConn loses the game. Hey they can lose and imo if they do its a fluke .

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
GENO: along with hot news on the recruiting front, this kind of "eyeballs on" reporting is what interests me the most. Much appreciated. I do have one question. When you launched the thread, you commented to the effect that this practice was "dramatically different'" (or an equivalent assertion) from previous years. Could you flesh that out a bit more?

CHI GG: Greetings. That was a surprise. If you were addressing me (looked like you probably were), you are in the wrong pew. The lead in quotes you provide were not mine.
In my many years on here, I've never said a word about Coach shortchanging the players by being away for Olympic teams etc. What I HAVE said is that, as obviously accomplished as he is, I saw several things some years back that he (like all of us) could improve on.....and in my view, as also stated, he improved on them over time.
Most recently in this regard, I put up a thread which made two points: I took issue with his use of personnel in the Stanford game, and I saw evident regression in the baseline inbounding of the ball (an area which needed improvement some time back, and in which improvement had taken place prior to Stanford. ).
(( IF I thought his work with national teams was creating a problem, you know me: I'd SAY so. I don't...and I haven't))
Win- the other practices seamed quicker and crisper and many more different types of drills and then offensive sets. But it just dawned on me- this is the earliest the open practice ever was. Late January last year and Jan or Feb the prior year. So that would explain a lot of what we saw, and maybe what we didn't see from prior year's practices!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
PV I am a dreamer and I will disagree with Geno. This team will be a great team. Will they be as great as last years team? IMO the bench lacks experience. The starters are great. They need to jell and theyre not far from that but trying to compare a team of starters with experience to this team is tuff. We will win it all this season. From what Ive seen there is no team that can challenge UConn unless UConn loses the game. Hey they can lose and imo if they do its a fluke .
For the record Tony - it will be a shock if they don't become a dominant team. They will hit their stride- no doubt!

Reaction Score
Win- the other practices seamed quicker and crisper and many more different types of drills and then offensive sets. But it just dawned on me- this is the earliest the open practice ever was. Late January last year and Jan or Feb the prior year. So that would explain a lot of what we saw, and maybe what we didn't see from prior year's practices!

GENO: thanks for getting back on this. Interesting as always. Another part of the explanation might be the large number of new kids to integrate into drills serving as a limiting factor on the number of drills/sets. MIGHT relate to the "crispness" as well

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
GENO: thanks for getting back on this. Interesting as always. Another part of the explanation might be the large number of new kids to integrate into drills serving as a limiting factor on the number of drills/sets. MIGHT relate to the "crispness" as well
I think you are right Winlots. Geno is always so brutally honest, almost to a fault. I think those are all factors. What will be enjoyable, is watching them in March- and April. The gaps in my responses are, my work schedule just doesn't allow me to stay connected all the time. I'm usually a late nighter on the BY, and some wknd activity.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Win - my MOST sincere apologies....it was not you to whom I should have been directing my comments, but Msf22b...mea culpa, mea culpa.
I ask your pardon, please.

Reaction Score
Win - my MOST sincere apologies....it was not you to whom I should have been directing my comments, but Msf22b...mea culpa, mea culpa.
I ask your pardon, please.

CHI: you KNOW you have it. I'm a fan of yours and no offense was taken. I know you've been putting up with a lot of fierce winds out your way and I took that into account anyway. :oops: Am always pleased just to be on your wave-length. :) Happy Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
Curious if the team was present during his Q&A?
No team was not present but when Kia Nurse walked by at the corner of the gym he yelled out to her "and then she had to foul out."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom