Rentschler Stadium expansion | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rentschler Stadium expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We get your point, CHB. And I still disagree. Your bullet points are meaningless. If we set-up a neutral site game in the future, fine. But we did Michigan a favor, we lived up to our side of the deal and they can do the same. Principle is, in fact, more important than any one game. That's why if we capitulate, I ain't going. It will be the first "home" game I miss in the D-1 era.

W - you've mentioned it a few times - what favor did we do for Michigan?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
W - you've mentioned it a few times - what favor did we do for Michigan?

They were looking for a game against name school to reopen the Big House and didn't have very many options. We adjusted our schedule and filled the void for them.

Reaction Score
They were looking for a game against name school to reopen the Big House and didn't have very many options. We adjusted our schedule and filled the void for them.

K - Thx. Don't remember that.

Reaction Score
Good job on the previous AD to secure games at the Rent against Michigan and Tennessee, but we haven't had any new high-level OOC games announced in a couple of years.

high level OOC home games are probably a thing of the past, not just for us, but for most schools. schools like Michigan and Tennessee would rather not play any OOC away games if they can and when they do it'll be to satisfy a home and home with a school like ND or a neutral site game where both teams split the pot for a big NFL stadium. Michigan pretty much announced they aren't playing any more away games than necessary. they make too much money on home games against a MAC school to ever want to leave. that's why we really need to hold our ground on this one.

Reaction Score
Sure worked for ECU.

ECU is the only BCS program in their state, that is also open to invitation to another BCS league that is more stable? Good to know, for a minute I thought you were comparing apples to oranges.

When their expansion from 43,000 to 50,000 was completed in 2010, their attendance went from 41,000 to 49,000. They didn't get an invite, but they sold 8,000 more tickets per game. If they play 6 home games, that's an extra 48,000 tickets sold. If they charge an average of $30/ticket, that's an extra $1.44 million in revenue. Yes, it did work out for ECU. They weren't averaging sellouts, but they expanded anyway, and attendance increased.

Reaction Score
Stadium size won't me squat for getting into a conference.

That's just not true. Stadium size certainly is not the most important thing, but doesn't deserve to be treated like women's basketball.

UConn has a perception problem. As long as we're playing in what is considered a minor league stadium for college football, our perception/reputation will continue to be harmed. Articles constantly call our "facilities" suspect, when the only problem with our facilities is the capacity of the stadium. Everything else is state of the art.

Do all of the things you mentioned, while upgrading to 55,000 seats (and selling 50,000 tickets a game), and our reputation and people's negative perception of our program will change.

Yes, TV eyeballs are important. But FSU is considering leaving the nACC, and a far easier path to a BCS bowl game, to go to the Big 12 and a more difficult path why? Because of the importance the fans/alum place on football. Not just money, and TV, but the quality of football. If the money was equal, they'd rather be in a tougher league like the SEC than the ACC even though their chances at success would be greatly diminished.

pj

Reaction Score
Do all of the things you mentioned, while ... selling 50,000 tickets a game ...

Of course, having a fan base that buys 50,000 tickets no matter the opponent is the key step. Once you have that there should be no difficulty expanding that stadium because expansion will pay for itself.

Reaction Score
Of course, having a fan base that buys 50,000 tickets no matter the opponent is the key step. Once you have that there should be no difficulty expanding that stadium because expansion will pay for itself.

In selectively editing my post, you left out evidence that contradicts that type of thinking.

ECU had a stadium that held 43,000. The last three years before they expanded it they averaged 41k, 42k, and 41k. They didn't sell out the stadium every week, but they expanded it anyway. The first year they expanded it to 50,000 they averaged 49,000 tickets sold.

I used to believe that we needed a waiting list and more demand for season tickets before we should expand. That was short sighted and wrong. We should expand now and market the hell out of the program, especially downstate.

pj

Reaction Score
I used to believe that we needed a waiting list and more demand for season tickets before we should expand. That was short sighted and wrong. We should expand now and market the hell out of the program, especially downstate.

I'm not opposing that, and I'm convinced expansion needs to happen (and will be profitable) before long. I just think it's a business decision, and I'm not privy to the data that indicates when the market is ready for it. Marketing is expensive, so you want organic attention / viral growth to drive as much as you can. Expand prematurely and you may be able to sell the extra seats, but at a lower per-seat rate and with heavy marketing costs.

Reaction Score
ECU's stadium has expanded as their fanbase has developed since they went to 35k after 1978 in order to meet major college football criterea. They went to 43k twenty years after that and to 50k twenty years later. We have been playing at this level for 8 years. 8 years is a relatively quick time to develop a fanbase and a program to support an expansion from 16k to 55k. I would love to see it and would be extraordinary if it happened so soon. I would think the attention gets turned to this after the athletic facilties upgrades in Storrs by the end of 2014 -early 2015.

Reaction Score
ECU's stadium has expanded as their fanbase has developed since they went to 35k after 1978 in order to meet major college football criterea. They went to 43k twenty years after that and to 50k twenty years later. We have been playing at this level for 8 years. 8 years is a relatively quick time to develop a fanbase and a program to support an expansion from 16k to 55k. I would love to see it and would be extraordinary if it happened so soon. I would think the attention gets turned to this after the athletic facilties upgrades in Storrs by the end of 2014 -early 2015.
Your numbers are off, there was 20 years between the first expansion, but not the next two. Additionally, between going from 35 to 50, they didn't upgrade to BCS football, we did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowdy–Ficklen_Stadium#1990s_expansions
In 1998 they went to 40,000
In 1999 they went to 43,000
In 2009 they went to 50,000

Three expansions in 12 years. If you count 98/99 as one, it still wasn't 20 years till the next expansion. All while playing at the same level of football. I understand there are other facility improvements on our schedule, but at a minimum there should already be a plan in place, and the fundraising should already have begun.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this but I think this was the thread where I proposed my pipe dream of MLS soccer....The Rent will be hosting an Int'l Friendly between Costa Rica and Peru On Wed Aug 15. Should be a fun time to have some soccer here in CT! Glad to see The Rent getting some more use than just football 5-6 times a year.

http://www.rentschlerfield.com/events.cfm

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this but I think this was the thread where I proposed my pipe dream of MLS soccer....The Rent will be hosting an Int'l Friendly between Costa Rica and Peru On Wed Aug 15. Should be a fun time to have some soccer here in CT! Glad to see The Rent getting some more use than just football 5-6 times a year.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping the International friendly rumored was between 2 European club teams. I'll be going to the game, The Rent is a perfect venue for soccer. My main problem is: Who should I root for?

Reaction Score
I guess I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping the International friendly rumored was between 2 European club teams. I'll be going to the game, The Rent is a perfect venue for soccer. My main problem is: Who should I root for?
Between Springfield and New Haven, we have one of the largest media markets in the US. Top 30, if I am correct. The fact Oklahoma City even has an NBA franchise over us is a joke. The Whalers would have been more well supported than the Devils are in NJ if the Whalers had been as successful. Is there ANY way we can get Kraft to put the MLS franchise in the Rent in return for helping him get his stupid new stadium in Foxboro?!

The European clubs are playing in Yankee Stadium. Chelsea vs Paris Saint Germain and AC Milan vs Real Madrid.

Reaction Score
Your numbers are off, there was 20 years between the first expansion, but not the next two. Additionally, between going from 35 to 50, they didn't upgrade to BCS football, we did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowdy–Ficklen_Stadium#1990s_expansions
In 1998 they went to 40,000
In 1999 they went to 43,000
In 2009 they went to 50,000

Three expansions in 12 years. If you count 98/99 as one, it still wasn't 20 years till the next expansion. All while playing at the same level of football. I understand there are other facility improvements on our schedule, but at a minimum there should already be a plan in place, and the fundraising should already have begun.

oops, somehow got twenty years between '98 and '09, the point being they have gone from 35 to 50k in 30 years and while not being BCS they have had BCS level schedules since the mid 80's with teams like Miami, Penn State, Auburn, LSU, South Carolina and NC State in the same season. Schedules like that help develop interest. We haven' really played at that level very long. Agree, hope there is a plan.

Reaction Score
Between Springfield and New Haven, we have one of the largest media markets in the US. Top 30, if I am correct. The fact Oklahoma City even has an NBA franchise over us is a joke. The Whalers would have been more well supported than the Devils are in NJ if the Whalers had been as successful. Is there ANY way we can get Kraft to put the MLS franchise in the Rent in return for helping him get his stupid new stadium in Foxboro?!

The European clubs are playing in Yankee Stadium. Chelsea vs Paris Saint Germain and AC Milan vs Real Madrid.
Uh, Kraft mostly paid for that stadium.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't even discuss expanding the rent, but I think it needs funds to upgrade the existing structure. Our jumbotron and general decor need major work.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wouldn't even discuss expanding the rent, but I think it needs funds to upgrade the existing structure. Our jumbotron and general decor need major work.

I read that a new jumbotron is in the works as the old one is past it's normal life. Not sure if that means this year, though.

Reaction Score
I read that a new jumbotron is in the works as the old one is past it's normal life. Not sure if that means this year, though.
I heard the same from a grad student at Uconn, but didn't put much stock in it. If it is true, I doubt we see it this season.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bump this mutha up. Expand the Rent!

Reaction Score
Edith Prague-"This is outrageous" is retiring so we have a shot. She'll still make noise but won't be a State Senator. I think they should double the size of the South endzone upper deck as well as add to the East upper deck. Didn't re-read the whole thread but has anyone ever come up with a price for any part of the possible expansion?

Reaction Score
Edith Prague-"This is outrageous" is retiring so we have a shot. She'll still make noise but won't be a State Senator. I think they should double the size of the South endzone upper deck as well as add to the East upper deck. Didn't re-read the whole thread but has anyone ever come up with a price for any part of the possible expansion?

Or where the real money will come from? Would love to see it happen just want a rational, educated, realistic explanation how to pay for it?

Reaction Score
Or where the real money will come from? Would love to see it happen just want a rational, educated, realistic explanation how to pay for it?

Do I hear a boneyard blood drive?

I'm good for a pint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member