Remedial Conference Realignment Board - Intro to UConn and relignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Remedial Conference Realignment Board - Intro to UConn and relignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a legit question.

Why was Pitt preferable to BCU? Not the rest of the ACC, who at the time saw Pitt and UConn as equals. BCU did not. Why?

Because UConn is in New England and BC is/was afraid that we'd do to them in football what we did in basketball. They had been New England's only D1 team for a long time.

It was stupid and foolish. UConn in the ACC would have helped both schools enhance their football culture. I think they may realize that now.

Reaction Score
At the time the ACC added Louisville, they needed a football school, because the teams they had were all down. Pitt was bad. BC was bad (and no they weren't always and won divisional titles in the ACC), Miami...meh, VT...ok but barely more than that. It was so bad that FSU and Clemson were considering leaving, and so when the proposed additions were UConn and a hot Louisville team with Tedy Bridgewater, and a stronger football fanbase, they demanded the latter. Since Louisville basketball was plenty strong and unlike the B1G, the ACC had no network, UConn's market advantage was reduced and academics is all we had left. It wasn't enough. I'm sure southern culture at Louisville helped as well.

I disagree that #16 doesn't matter. Better is better. It simply is. There isn't any school left except UConn and maybe Temple that could be a viable #16 for the ACC. The B1G was certainly financially set before adding RU and Maryland. If the ACC adds ND, it needs to stake a claim on NY, and Syracuse isn't enough even with ND.

So it made sense to take Louisville over UConn? They were an acceptable alternative? Seems like you just made the case for them over UConn. I'll wait for CL82 to question your fanhood and intelligence.

You're completely underselling the value of ND if you think #16 matters. Whether or not ND joins, UConn in the ACC is a perfect fit for both parties. But the ACC isn't going to go to 15. The next move will be to 16 with ND and someone else.

If UConn is available it's a no-brainer. But they aren't going worry about #16 until they make ND #15. Because why go to 15 and create an unbalanced league when you don't need to? ND has a as large a stake in NY as anyone. They also have compete for fans in Chicago, and have fans all over the country. And they bring rivalries with national programs OOC that would be lucrative to networks. ND is the last free agent national program, and (results aside) it's one, if not the, most valuable program in CFB.

Do you really think TV/Network execs are going to see that big of a difference between UConn and Cincy, UConn and UCF, or UConn and Temple, when the other party included in the negotiations is Notre Dame? That's the key bargaining chip for the ACC if and when it happens.

ACC: "We've got Notre Dame and..."
ESPN: "We don't care who else, take our money"

Reaction Score
Paragraph 1: I've said that a dozen times, and all it's gotten is people questioning my fanhood and knowledge of what happened. Yet, you just agreed with my point. We were replaceable.

Paragraph 3: That's not entirely true. Teams were leaving to new conferences for more money due to the TV contracts. Maryland was never a football powerhouse, but FSU and Clemson wanted a football school, so the 2 got what they wanted. The ACC didn't have to add a football school, the ACC could have added UConn with the hopes of locking down the NE market. But FSU/Clemson got their way because....Ville was a suitable replacement.

Final Paragraph: I agree. Needs drive decisions. But the ACC doesn't need UConn, Would we improve their value if we're added? Probably, but we don't know how much they are getting in their new contract. Yes, they COULD add UConn, they could also replace us with Cincy if we aren't available and ND does what they've said they'll avoid at all costs.

But if ND joins, it won't matter who #16 is. ND brings enough value to the table that the ACC could add whoever is left of USF/UCF/Houston/Memphis/UConn/Temple and still have a great league financially.

Edit, I should have included ECU.
The ACC doesn't need us but they certainly don't want in another p5 conference
Especially one with more more compelling football matchups

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
We're not going to the ACC, now or in the future.

But that says nothing about UConn's value.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I just want to know why we don't drop football and go back to the Big East? We made our history there!

Reaction Score
I just want to know why we don't drop football and go back to the Big East? We made our history there!

If we don't get into the B12 (and I doubt we will) I agree that saving basketball should become the immediate priority. But I would not drop football. Keep it in the AAC and move other sports to the BE, keeping hockey where it is, if all that is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom