Religion in football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Religion in football

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think you are skipping that it is pretty much a Christian program in a public school. And you don't think I know things are different down south? To be honest, up here is not that much different. Unfortunate truth. It's as if the only way to overcome stereotypes IS diversity. Sadly.

No I'm not. The coach is a Christian like many others in the south. Something you and others on here just don't get. Mark Richt is a big Christian and does prayers and a number of other "Christian" things. This is an Atheist group going after a coach because of his Christian beliefs.
I for one am tired of atheist stopping everything that Christians do. I don't see them ever criticizing other religions it is just Christians. Like I said this is coming to a head and the Christians in this country will not put up with this much longer. Nor should they.

Reaction Score
No I'm not. The coach is a Christian like many others in the south. Something you and others on here just don't get. Mark Richt is a big Christian and does prayers and a number of other "Christian" things. This is an Atheist group going after a coach because of his Christian beliefs.
I for one am tired of atheist stopping everything that Christians do. I don't see them ever criticizing other religions it is just Christians. Like I said this is coming to a head and the Christians in this country will not put up with this much longer. Nor should they.
Does that mean Christian schools are going to create their own college athletics association? :confused:

Reaction Score
The Christians in this country, such a repressed group. How they've survived through the centuries of laws, societal norms, policies, crimes, and all of the like waged against them is astonishing.

On a day when Jews in Ukraine are being forced to "register" and just days after Jews were targeted for murder in our own country, you're barking up the wrong tree with the strawman religious oppression argument. We're all free to disagree about Clemson and how they handle things, that's a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Christians in this country, such a repressed group. How they've survived through the centuries of laws, societal norms, policies, crimes, and all of the like waged against them is astonishing.

On a day when Jews in Ukraine are being forced to "register" and just days after Jews were targeted for murder in our own country, you're barking up the wrong tree with the strawman religious oppression argument. We're all free to disagree about Clemson and how they handle things, that's a matter of opinion.

I agree with what is happening to the Jews in Ukraine is disturbing to say the very least. No one should have to be asked what they are being asked. The US and other countries should warn Russia and bring hard actions if this continues. There is no excuse for this, none.

This is the kind of stuff that bothers me coming from the atheist

Reaction Score
Butch said:
Southern Methodist University. Representing a sect of Christianity?

Sure, Methodist is one Christian denomination and is included in the secular university's name. Otherwise, SMU and its curriculum are about as Methodist as 2 other schools historically founded with Methodist roots, Syracuse and BU (the Boston version).

Now, back to the beach and sort of observing the crucifixion of Christ under cloudless blue skies. Snorkeling on coral reefs in various turquoise-hued waters at 5 followed by this morning's tuna catch for dinner. That's a big ol' alleiluah!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/new

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I am an atheist and I think you seriously mischaracterize their "anti religion" stance. Just because you are an atheist doesn't mean you are anti religion.

Reaction Score
There is nothing to suggest that his decisions aren't made by religious participation. You wanna know how to be sure and eliminate the ambiguity? Don't have team coordinated religious functions. It's that simple.
Proving the negative?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I am a Christian, but don't believe in what is being done at Clemson and possibly other public schools is OK. I don't believe the coach should be bringing his religious beliefs in at all. What if I was something other than Christian and Clemson was my dream school from my early days. Now they have a coach there who's beliefs are not the same as mine and possibly/probably quotes things to the team that I don't believe and to some degree pushes his religion. Should I have to endure that at a public university. No. His beliefs should remain entirely away from the team. No prayers and no team trips unless he schedules rides to all the local religious centers. Separate church and state and by him telling recruits he's a Christian that is crossing the separation line.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is clear that Dabo Sweeney is better off at SMU, Baylor, etc.

There could be a problem with SMU if Sweeney is a Baptist as from what I understand Baptists and Methodists don't really get along.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What Sweeney is doing does appear to be a bit over the top but I would have far more of a problem with it if it were a player or two who filed the complaint instead of a watchdog group who likely is more concerned with forcing their own beliefs on everyone (and getting their name in the press in the process) than they are with the idea that someone may be forcing their beliefs on others.

I would not equate attendance in church meetings with off season workouts (under the premise that both are voluntary in name only) as absence from church meetings will not put you at a competitive disadvantage with those who do attend. I do believe however that peer pressure would exist (even if in many cases it would be primarily self inflicted) and this may cause some players to attend under less than what can objectively be considered free will.

Reaction Score
Looking at it from perspective from someone born and raised in Northeast it seems to me that Dabo has gone a little overboard and if my son was being recruited there I would probably suggest going elsewhere that might be less expressive about their beliefs, but I am from Northeast and Clemson is in South Carolina and while people in South have same religious freedoms we have they are more open in expressing it. I am sure while mostly Christian there are and have been non Christian or non religious players on Clemson and have not heard of any Clemson current or former player or recruit complain about and until such time they complain it is a non issue. Ironically this will probably help Clemson recruiting in long run in their recruiting territory.

Furthermore seems like this group is out for publicity as there are many more religious encroachments to be concerned about in this world from religious genocide in Africa, countries where the "wrong" religions can not vote or hold office by decree of religion in power, child abuse by some clergy in all the major religions who are being protected, Muslim courts being in place of civil courts in some parts of UK and under discussion here for some area's, in a suburb north of NY city a extreme Jews religious sect runs and controls funding for town and couple of school districts and many non Jewish minority students suffer as a result but they vote as a bloc so no politician will ever challenge them. But guess why focus and work hard on real issues directly impacting people when you can get easy headlines from attacking Clemson football over an issue in which no one seems to be directly impacted.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Go_Huskies said:
You anti-religous people never tell the truth. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Every thing is VOLUNTARY.
"Participation in religious activities is purely voluntary"
You argument holds no weight.

Except, when it isn't. Understand that, and you will understand why it's a problem that FB coaches must adapt to they way the rest of corporate America has.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
uconnbill said:
That's you opinion, but down south things are much different than they are up here in the Northeast.

They tried that argument before, and lost.

Homogeny of faith in a particular locale is not a valid exemption to the First Amendment.

Reaction Score
Except, when it isn't. Understand that, and you will understand why it's a problem that FB coaches must adapt to they way the rest of corporate America has.
Except when you deny reality and pretend the facts fit your fantasy.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am an atheist and I think you seriously mischaracterize their "anti religion" stance. Just because you are an atheist doesn't mean you are anti religion.

I see signs everywhere from Atheists groups protesting Christianity at any moment. Still waiting to see them protest other religions "my guess is they won't".

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No one is making anyone pray or worship God or Jesus. This is his belief and if others on the team want to be part of it, they can. We have no problem in this country pushing beliefs that go against my beliefs on a daily occurrence, but that is the freedom we all enjoy.
I have no issue nor do his players, just atheist who have a problem with all things God, Jesus and Christianity.

Reaction Score
uconnbill said:
No one is making anyone pray or worship God or Jesus. This is his belief and if others on the team want to be part of it, they can. We have no problem in this country pushing beliefs that go against my beliefs on a daily occurrence, but that is the freedom we all enjoy.
I have no issue nor do his players, just atheist who have a problem with all things God, Jesus and Christianity.

Do you really think it is just atheists that have an issue? Seriously? You mention Jesus and Christianity. Do you believe there wouldn't be the same concern if Coach Sweeney was pushing the Muslim religion?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I respect all religions. Out of respect, how about we pick this conversation up after Easter?

Reaction Score
formerlurker said:
I respect all religions. Out of respect, how about we pick this conversation up after Easter?

I don't think anyone is bashing Christianity in this thread. But I have no problem tabling the discussion if anyone is offended.

Reaction Score
This is all about an anti-Christian group trying to get some cheap publicity,,,the same type of folks who try to ruin Christmas. I'm agnostic so I couldn't care less about religion but I don't like hardcore atheists trying to ruin things that other people VOLUNTARILY participate in.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

If it were a Muslim doing the exact same thing, you'd be going ape$hit.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
If it were a Muslim doing the exact same thing, you'd be going ape$hit.

You go ape$hit about some pretty stupid sh#t too my friend.

It's really "tolerance" we're talking about and I'd say we're all lacking in that department to a certain degree. I mean, I'm always right and I've learned to tolerate that. I just wish more people could be the same way.

Reaction Score
It's really "tolerance" we're talking about

No it's not. It's about an employee at a public university with uncommon influence and control overtly expressing his religious views and proselytizing his students (players) with meetings he claims are voluntary but are subtly coercive. As was stated above, OTA's are voluntary in name only. So are Dabo's religious meetings.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
It's really "tolerance" we're talking about and I'd say we're all lacking in that department to a certain degree. I mean, I'm always right and I've learned to tolerate that. I just wish more people could be the same way.

No it's not. It's about an employee at a public university with uncommon influence and control overtly expressing his religious views and proselytizing his students (players) with meetings he claims are voluntary but are subtly coercive. As was stated above, OTA's are voluntary in name only. So are Dabo's religious meetings.

900x900px-LL-658002b7_joke_over_your_head.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34