Religion in football | The Boneyard

Religion in football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nobody is forcing Dabo and his merry band to support the local Mosque. Dabo shouldn't use his power to force his players to participate in his religious rituals. Look, this isn't Catholic Notre Dame or Baptist Baylor or Mormon BYU. This is a public university and the football coach ought not be putting players in situations where failing to support his particular form of religion could potentially lead to player consequences. What if he told players that he was holding regular Catholic Masses? There are certain Protestants for whom that is an anathema. Or if he told them he had named an Imam as team chaplain? there would be protests across South Carolina. Nobody is saying Dabo can't practice his faith. Nobody is preventing him from attending the church of his choice whenever he wants, nobody is preventing him from reading the bible, and using it as a source of inspiration or guidance for living his life. But he can't use his public position to intimidate those under him to participate in those things. I don't get why that's so hard to understand or why its even an issue.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess this ends up on the cesspool by the end of the day

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Nobody is forcing Dabo and his merry band to support the local Mosque. Dabo shouldn't use his power to force his players to participate in his religious rituals. Look, this isn't Catholic Notre Dame or Baptist Baylor or Mormon BYU. This is a public university and the football coach ought not be putting players in situations where failing to support his particular form of religion could potentially lead to player consequences. What if he told players that he was holding regular Catholic Masses? There are certain Protestants for whom that is an anathema. Or if he told them he had named an Imam as team chaplain? there would be protests across South Carolina. Nobody is saying Dabo can't practice his faith. Nobody is preventing him from attending the church of his choice whenever he wants, nobody is preventing him from reading the bible, and using it as a source of inspiration or guidance for living his life. But he can't use his public position to intimidate those under him to participate in those things. I don't get why that's so hard to understand or why its even an issue.

It really is pretty obvious...and I have no idea why Palatine continues to post endlessly about this other than to be a & stirrer.

I work for a Fortune 100 company...i can't imagine what would happen if I started arranging church trips with my direct reports. Actually..I do know what would happen..because I have seen it....I would be called in by my boss and told to stop because these practices are exclusionary and risk legal issues with discrimination laws. Any performance management and hiring decisions I made would be called into question.

Just like any roster decisions by a football coach. It's pretty basic management and leadership stuff. Southern coaches have gotten away with it and now they need to evolve.

I am glad it is getting this attention because this archaic approach to team leadership needed to change so all would feel welcome.

Reaction Score
You anti-religous people never tell the truth. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Every thing is VOLUNTARY.
"Participation in religious activities is purely voluntary"
You argument holds no weight.

Reaction Score
You anti-religous people never tell the truth. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Every thing is VOLUNTARY.
You argument holds no weight.[/quote

Laughable. i'm not going to compare religious bona fides with you, but if you think participation is Voluntary, I don't know what to tell you. Tell me, what would you say if Dabo started holding Muslim services in the football facilities?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

Probably not worth my time..but i will try.

You are right...it is voluntary. Dabo also is free to choose whoever he wants to be on his two deep. In a perfect world there isn't a connection between those two points.

Reaction Score
Probably not worth my time..but i will try.

You are right...it is voluntary. Dabo also is free to choose whoever he wants to be on his two deep. In a perfect world there isn't a connection between those two points.
Right. And it is voluntary for the guys who make all-conference or All-American, guys who are NFL draft picks. for the guy fighting for a spot on the 2-deep, I'd need more than Dabo's say-so.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The USA has freedom of religion not freedom "from" religion. That organizations name tells it all.
It's one in the same. If Person A is Catholic and Person B is Jewish, then B has as much of a right to NOT have to pray to as A has to thank him for not fumbling on the last touchdown of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just like Voluntary off-season work outs, right? I bet I can skip both of those and really have a chance to make to the two deep. Voluntary in these situations means we cant force you to go, but we sure know if you went or not...

Reaction Score
It really is pretty obvious...and I have no idea why Palatine continues to post endlessly about this other than to be a & stirrer.

I work for a Fortune 100 company...i can't imagine what would happen if I started arranging church trips with my direct reports. Actually..I do know what would happen..because I have seen it....I would be called in by my boss and told to stop because these practices are exclusionary and risk legal issues with discrimination laws. Any performance management and hiring decisions I made would be called into question.

Just like any roster decisions by a football coach. It's pretty basic management and leadership stuff. Southern coaches have gotten away with it and now they need to evolve.

I am glad it is getting this attention because this archaic approach to team leadership needed to change so all would feel welcome.

It's not my thread. My post simply reminds people what is written in the US Constitution. That many be stirring to you. To me it is simply restating the freedoms that Americans are allowed. There is nothing to suggest the coach's roster decisions are made by religion. You just fly off the handle , throw around allegations with little or no regard for the facts. Yet I'm the troublemaker. Interesting.

Reaction Score
It's not my thread. My post simply reminds people what is written in the US Constitution. That many be stirring to you. To me it is simply restating the freedoms that Americans are allowed. There is nothing to suggest the coach's roster decisions are made by religion. You just fly off the handle , throw around allegations with little or no regard for the facts. Yet I'm the troublemaker. Interesting.
I didn't post this to stir anything. I just posted to show how things are run. I had no idea people own threads.

You do realize Sweeney is free to do this at a Christian school?

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

There is nothing to suggest that his decisions aren't made by religious participation. You wanna know how to be sure and eliminate the ambiguity? Don't have team coordinated religious functions. It's that simple.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The USA has freedom of religion not freedom "from" religion. That organizations name tells it all.

That would make a popular bumper sticker, but it would still be as stupid as it is inaccurate.

Reaction Score

Yikes. I think you might want to read some case law.

Reaction Score

Who is anti religious?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It is clear that Dabo Sweeney is better off at SMU, Baylor, etc.

That's you opinion, but down south things are much different than they are up here in the Northeast.
He tells recruits he is a Christian which I have no problem with.
"No one is required to participate in any religious activities related to the football program," she said. "It's purely voluntary. Religion and faith is a big part of Coach Swinney's personal beliefs, but it is in no way required. There is no mandatory participation."

Sorry this is the Atheist group pushing their agenda of not having God in any public arena.
The secularist against Christians is a war that is coming to this country in my opinion.

Reaction Score
That's you opinion, but down south things are much different than they are up here in the Northeast.
He tells recruits he is a Christian which I have no problem with.
"No one is required to participate in any religious activities related to the football program," she said. "It's purely voluntary. Religion and faith is a big part of Coach Swinney's personal beliefs, but it is in no way required. There is no mandatory participation."

Sorry this is the Atheist group pushing their agenda of not having God in any public arena.
The secularist against Christians is a war that is coming to this country in my opinion.
I think you are skipping that it is pretty much a Christian program in a public school. And you don't think I know things are different down south? To be honest, up here is not that much different. Unfortunate truth. It's as if the only way to overcome stereotypes IS diversity. Sadly.

Reaction Score
Butch said:
It is clear that Dabo Sweeney is better off at SMU, Baylor, etc.
Why at SMU now? Other than it being a private school?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger