Reintroduction Of Edsall Brings Healing And Hope (Jacobs) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Reintroduction Of Edsall Brings Healing And Hope (Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UConn is saying that UConn is paying the $3.4 million buy out according to the Courant. Not out of taxpayers' money but out of some special funds. Did Athletic Director Dave secured the money from donors for the buy out before he got permission to can BD?

I think that is a virtual certainty. He was also tasked with putting together a financial package that works within the budget to get a new coach and staff. I firmly believe Edsall is the choice of the donors who put up the $$$ to make this work.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maybe it goes back to October when I tweeted...

In Benedict's opening statement he posed similar statements (hey as long as we're talking about national people lifting boneyarders' comments...

:D
What if we could hire a coach who has sustained success at the FBS level? What if we could hire a coach who led a program to multiple conference championships and 5 bowl games in 7 years? What if we could hire a coach who was able to fill a stadium on a regular basis?

Reaction Score
Back to JJ's article: very good but he did go into too many specifics concerning the whole episode of Randy leaving, more than I thought he should.

Reaction Score
But finally, there was about a month or so where Athletic Director Dave went dark. Silent. Not a peep. To the point where most on the Boneyard took it as the last positive sign of hope.
NO! NO! This Is UConn Country told me that Benedict gave Diaco a non-public vote of confidence! Everything was all hunky dory until meanie David Benedict (more like Benedict Arnold lolzzzzzzzz) fired Bob the day after Christmas ruining his holiday! HOW COULD HE DO THAT!!!!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
NO! NO! This Is UConn Country told me that Benedict gave Diaco a non-public vote of confidence! Everything was all hunky dory until meanie David Benedict (more like Benedict Arnold lolzzzzzzzz) fired Bob the day after Christmas ruining his holiday! HOW COULD HE DO THAT!!!!

By definition, votes of confidence must be public. Otherwise they're worth less than zero because they can't be verified, and the Grantor can deny one was ever given privately to anybody. Unless it's a matter of public record, it's meaningless.

Even when made publicly they're usually not worth much of anything. Coaches generally get fired soon after.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

Nobody wants to discuss the time line. That's because the time line would show that this had been in the works for weeks now. There is the twitter "evidence". There is the fact that the contract + incentives had already been spelled out and agreed upon. But finally, there was about a month or so where Athletic Director Dave went dark. Silent. Not a peep. To the point where most on the Boneyard took it as the last positive sign of hope.

There's no doubt in my mind that this has been going on for weeks, and I'm absolutely glad it did. The thought of another year of Diaco would have sucked out the last drops of hope I had for this football program...
There have been enough statements from various principals to piece it together.

AD Dave called Randy when he took the job and maybe before to get his take on the program. Would there be anyone else?

Clearly, they hit it off well enough to keep in communication over the last year or so.

As Diaco's program fell apart (I think it fell apart more than simply failed like PP), AD Dave clearly was looking around. If we had a problem with Diaco's approach and explanations surely a guy with his experience would also see it.

I doubt that RE was at the top of the list in October (Pre Big 12 decision), but once the financial and PR realities of being stuck in the AAC set in, his options were limited. No hot coordinator, no coach with P5 aspirations, no money to overpay to get one, and no cache to offer an up and comer. With the prospects of another risky/bad hire, BD was set for another year.

Then the last 4 games happened, the fan revolt happened, there was a meeting where Dave was told that if you can pay for it, make a move that isn't going to cost more than we can afford.

Dave searched for the money, along the way he probably found some RE supporters. It didn't sound so crazy, if the numbers worked. A few more calls, more money in support. Maybe a background check. Other feelers to other candidates didn't show interest, we're too expensive, or too risky. I believe Dave put a premium on an experienced guy. How many guys with that resume would come at a low price?

BD was brought it to talk about changes, maybe Kill, maybe other changes to staff and/or approach. Clearly it was not satisfactory to Dave. The fan revolt was real and going to get worse, especially when an earlier loss/WTF moment was a near certainty.

Dave thinks. Why not? He won here, he has support. Could he truly be accepted back? Could we afford him? More calls are made. The respect for the man in the biz is real, the former players love him, he has skills that are coveted. Why not explore it.

On RE's end, he spent 12 years here, built it, owned it. Of course, he cares about the program. That story about seeing his former players every Sunday swells his heart. DanO chattering in his ear every week about what has become of it. What a shame.

The call is made. Really? Can we do that? Does he want to do that? Dave puts his cards on the table. Randy does also. The issues are addressed one by one, none seem so big compared to the potential payoff. A deal is made. Bob is shown the door.
Subba and Dan,
Well written on both posts...!

Reaction Score
I beg the no-sayers to Edsall hiring to gave him a chance. He got us there once and he can do it again. I remember my wife and I driving to NC in 2007 for the Meineke Car Care Bowl and meeting the coaches and the players the night before at the Plaza. It was like a family affair. The players were thanking us for being there. It was in the middle of a foundation of a decent program. Remember that the reason Edsall left is he didn't get along with the AD at the time and shortly after Edsall left the AD got fired. Unfortunately a year too late. I know for one I will be back as a season ticket holder.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Exactly.

Nobody wants to discuss the time line. That's because the time line would show that this had been in the works for weeks now. There is the twitter "evidence". There is the fact that the contract + incentives had already been spelled out and agreed upon. But finally, there was about a month or so where Athletic Director Dave went dark. Silent. Not a peep. To the point where most on the Boneyard took it as the last positive sign of hope.

There's no doubt in my mind that this has been going on for weeks, and I'm absolutely glad it did. The thought of another year of Diaco would have sucked out the last drops of hope I had for this football program...

This is why coaches have agents and universities have outside counsel.

Reaction Score
Just remembered how most of the BY including myself were remarking about the stone deaf quiet out of Storrs following the nightmare in Chestnut Hill. We were all concerned that a silence meant nothing , not another year, there would be no one left in the stadium except for the BY faithful. Nothing was happening. Where were the heavy hitter alumni?
We're we being forsaken for another year of the Diaco abyss?? ; then with the very quiet posting of a OC posit ion, you could feel the gasps coming out of the posts. ...and a very quiet low tone of "Sheet" ughhh. Another year of red pants and singing kumbaya by the dumpster fire at the Rent as we listened to post game lunatic rants. The quiet out of Storrs was deafening.
All I can say is: yeah, Baby....
SILENCE IS GOLDEN.!!!!

Thank you DB for huge quiet workings behind the scenes and huge thank you to Suzie for making sure we knew the adults were back in charge. Welcome back Coach.

Reaction Score
I have a couple of pair of season tickets and plan on buying more...now. Miss the old atmosphere we had at the rent and at least now I feel hopeful again that in time we can bring that back. Welcome back HCRE!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When does Jacobs admit he bases at least 57% of his material on Boneyard content? I read this exact line at 11:15 this morning.
Yeah, it was my line. And its not the first time I have been ripped off by columnist in the big papers....but I dont mind, its fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom