Recruit's Mom Strikes Again | The Boneyard

Recruit's Mom Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
you just can't make this stuff up. she will be on cops next week.

Reaction Score
His mom's name is Justin? WTF haha.

I saw this live on tv. Pretty sad. Wouldn't you be proud of your son for earning a scholarship to play football for the #1 team in the country. After seeing this, I don't blame the kid for wanting to get away from his mother!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The story gets better:

Apparently, this is only a recruiting violation...for basketball. Football? A-OK with the NCAA!

God, what an absolute joke of a governing body.

Reaction Score
The story gets better:

Apparently, this is only a recruiting violation...for basketball. Football? A-OK with the NCAA!

God, what an absolute joke of a governing body.

I was talking with my parents about this issue this weekend. The NCAA needs a big time overhaul all on eligibility and violation rules. Conversation came about when talking about Boatright. Another situation that was handled poorly by the NCAA IMO.

Reaction Score
His mom's name is Justin? WTF haha.

I saw this live on tv. Pretty sad. Wouldn't you be proud of your son for earning a scholarship to play football for the #1 team in the country. After seeing this, I don't blame the kid for wanting to get away from his mother!

Her name is April, though I had to reread it to catch that as the Justin thing was confusing me too. I kinda see this a little from the Mom's perspective. She obviously doesnt like her son's girlfriend and probably thinks that he's basically choosing Alabama to be there with her instead of what's best for him.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Should make for an interesting Parents Weekend at Alabama!

I hope he doesn't leave his playbook lying around the house over the summer...or his Mom may make copies of it and provide it to Miles and LSU!:)

Reaction Score
He moved away from his mom a few years back. ESPN the Mag had a good article documenting the kid's upbringing and how he moved in with his father after Katrina.
It also documents how the mother feels left out and angry at her son's girlfriend (there was a big fight right before cameras rolled on them at the UA game when he committed over his girlfriend being on stage). I understand wanting what's best for your son, but when you go out of your way to put yourself in the spotlight over him, you should be ashamed.

Reaction Score
Just saw that the Yahoo article mentions what I said above about the altercation. What it doesn't mention is that while she wanted "family" on camera, the father was off camera until the mother made a scene with the "LSU #1" nonsense when he came on stage to hug his son.
No wonder the kid decided to live with his dad.

Reaction Score
He moved away from his mom a few years back. ESPN the Mag had a good article documenting the kid's upbringing and how he moved in with his father after Katrina.
It also documents how the mother feels left out and angry at her son's girlfriend (there was a big fight right before cameras rolled on them at the UA game when he committed over his girlfriend being on stage). I understand wanting what's best for your son, but when you go out of your way to put yourself in the spotlight over him, you should be ashamed.

Sounds like she's just hoping he makes it to the NFL so she can (hopefully) cash in, instead of being happy for him and selecting the school HE wants to go to. I don't blame the kid for getting away from his mother one bit. He's the situation way better than anyone else and is doing what is best for him.

Reaction Score
I can empathize with April Justin. When my daughter got into a good college, one she had coveted, she then announced that she'd decided to go to a less impressive local school, to be with her boyfriend. Like Justin, I thought she was making a terrible life choice. Fortunately, and without the clamor of ESPN cameras, I was able to convince her. Sure enough, a year later they broke up. My daughter still thanks me for standing strong on that issue.
So I say --you go girl-- stand strong for what feel is best for your son. And good luck.

Reaction Score
Completely different circumstance. He's going to the best football school in the nation. He made up his mind before the UA game and told her his decision. You talked to your daughter and reasoned with her, she put herself in the spotlight and has not stopped since.

Reaction Score
That's only because there were no cameras or reporters following our every move. Had there been, I still would have counseled her. And others would have judged. He's following his current girlfriend to a school that was not his first choice. It matters not that it's a good football school. She's counseling her son to rethink his life choice. Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
That's only because there were no cameras or reporters following our every move. Had there been, I still would have counseled her. And others would have judged. He's following his current girlfriend to a school that was not his first choice. It matters not that it's a good football school. She's counseling her son to rethink his life choice. Nothing wrong with that.
All I have to say is read the ESPN the Mag article. Bama was his first choice. No cameras followed him (at least to the current extent) until his mother made herself the center of attention.

Reaction Score
OK, I'll read it. I was going on latest reports. I thought he was considering LSU where his brother was/is/will be. I'm all for parents taking a role in their kids lives. Too many are absentees.

Reaction Score
Gerald is his younger step brother (mom had him while getting separated from father). I think they are a year or two apart. LSU was being considered, but he said he knew for a while he wanted Bama.
I don't mean to argue back and forth I just can't agree with a parent taking away a day that is supposed to be special to their child and making it about themselves.

Reaction Score
AJC88 is right...if you read the ESPN Magazine article they go into how his dad helped him with his college choice going on visits with him, talking to coaches during in-home visits. I tought the article actually did a good job of showing the other side and how his father and step-mother have given him a stable and supportive environment. This is starting to seem like a woman acting out because she feels like an outsider in her childs life. He hasn't lived with his mom since his freshman year in high school.

Reaction Score
I am kind of with Nostical on this. I know a lot of people, including myself were extremely shortsighted during a time of love at that age group. I thought I was going to be with that person forever and that I didnt want to be apart from them at all. The mom isnt blinded by that and just wants the best decision for her son in the long term. If what she says about the indicated roles for her son at Alabama vs LSU wouldnt it be correct to say that LSU presents a better opportunity for her son to showcase his skills for a career in that field? Add to the known problems between herself and the son's girlfriend and it just could be a huge source of frustration for her that showed itself on national tv and put her in a very negative light.

My son is a little on the young side (almost 4) but I can't see myself not taking an extremely active role in helping guide him into the best decisions for his future at that time. I couldnt think of simply sitting on my hands while he would be doing something that I think would be detrimental to him. I am all for lessons learned but in the case of something like that, you can't get that time back and pick the proper college after you spent the years there.

Now this is just me wanting to give the benefit of the doubt to the parent here. I could be completely wrong and she could have purely selfish motives for this but honestly I havent really read anything that indicates in a clear manner.

Reaction Score
I could see your point if he chose to go to Vanderbilt or Kentucky, and not to the best school in the nation in football.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I see Nostical's point but as 88 has said, this would be less like following your girlfriend to UConn instead of going to Yale (this is more or less what I thought when I read Nostical's post about his daughter) and more akin to choosing Harvard over Yale. Would you have been so strong in your stance if the schools were comparable (as they are in the case of the football recruit)?

Reaction Score
agreed that it is never a good idea for a high schooler to pick a college because their girlfriend goes there but his girlfriend going there doesnt mean that Bama isnt also the best school for him too.

plus being on the football team means that he is not going to have any trouble finding a new girlfriend if his current relationship sours.

Reaction Score
The main reason you guys need to read ESPN magazine article is that he went to live with his father his freshman year in hs...his father and stepmother helped him through this process like you are talking about doung with your kids...his dad went with him on each visit after helping him whittle down his choices. His mom was OUT of the picture and wants him to attend LSU because that is HER choice. She had no participation WHAT SO EVER in the recruiting process...except to tell her son she wanted him to go to LSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom